HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Yes, again.....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Yes, again.....
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:11PM

And then in his presser he's all about giving credit to the Saints and NOT accepting the fact -- he didn't have the team ready to compete with fancy stuff like Sproles and CB coverage obviously leaning on the slant pattern -- which we ran sevral times positively but discounted the fact the Saints D might compensate for!

IMO we were seriously out-coached last night. We were WINNING on the LOS in the first half and these bone heads found a way to blow the game! I'm sorry -- but that's the way I see it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:52PM

I had forgotten about those additional points that were made in the above two points. bottom line, it looked like they had prepared for us but we had not prepared for them, let alone failing on all of the gameday adjustments.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 01, 2013 03:14PM

Fair enough Truth, but for the sake of arguing with a simpleton, I was only including the read option plays that RT keptspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

BNF, you make valid points about some coaching glitches last night, but I got a news flash, Philbin is nowhere close to the coach that Sean "Crossfit" Payton is, I got another news flash, I'm not sure anyone else in the NFL is either.

Chyren, what if we go 10-6 on the year, coaching mistakes and all, you gonna STFU about firing him? Or is he dead in your eyes?

Date: October 01, 2013 03:19PM

I have found "gameday adjustments" to be very slowly made...

Certainly no discernable "fix" between series 1 and 2 etc.

We've had some halftime fixes -- but this staff is not all that dynamic in the heat of battle. IMO.

I mean, Philbin said they tried zone and man-to-man against Sproles and -- in the end -- Sproles was "so amazing," no matter what we couldn't cover him??? That's absolute total BS. Pull a LB and play 5 DBs and dare the Saints to beat your DL -- which was pretty dominant before the game blew apart.

Whatever. Just do IT. And shut UP!

BNF.

Date: October 01, 2013 03:29PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fair enough Truth, but for the sake of arguing
> with a simpleton,

I thought you had given up the insults.

>I was only including the read
> option plays that RT keptspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But I was not ONLY talking about the read options where he keeps the ball. My point is that even his passing is more effective when executing the read option as opposed to staying in the pocket.

I've said that time and time and f*cking time again on this board.

So for once, I am not arguing with Truth on this point.

>
> BNF, you make valid points about some coaching
> glitches last night, but I got a news flash,
> Philbin is nowhere close to the coach that Sean
> "Crossfit" Payton is, I got another news flash,
> I'm not sure anyone else in the NFL is either.

LOL. Not talking about being as good as Payton. Just talking about not being WORSE than Sparano.

Holic, what do you say to the fact that the announcers on Monday Night Football were criticizing the coaching and pointing out to the lack of any head coaching experience on his resume?

>
> Chyren, what if we go 10-6 on the year, coaching
> mistakes and all, you gonna STFU about firing him?
> Or is he dead in your eyes?

Well, the much hated by you Tony Sparano went 11-5 one season and he eventually got fired anyway.

But to answer your question, remember we were 3-0, NOW 3-1 and to end up 10-6 that means the remainder of our record we would have won 7 more and lost 5.

So what you are saying is what would I want if we go 7-5 FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON???

Would I want him fired?????

Let me throw it back to you, how would you feel if he barely broke .500 after a 3-0 start?

Would you say he was improving?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 03:39PM by ChyrenB.

Date: October 01, 2013 03:48PM

Date: October 01, 2013 04:13PM

You really don't understand what "option" is, do you?

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: October 01, 2013 04:17PM

It is a simple explanation. This team is not as good as the SAINTS and probably won't be at that level for a long time, and they got outplayed, outcoached, outsmarted and PUNKED all in one night.

3-1 is not bad so look at it from a positive point of view.

Date: October 01, 2013 04:22PM

I thunks the bigger point is...maybe hoping Philbin & Co. could be competitive with the best staffs in the NFL.

My concern with Phibin is akin to Baby T -- but nowhere near as severe -- and that's being "formula driven" and not genuinely creative in a dynamic way.

It bothers me we were WINNING on the line of scrimmage on both sides in the first half -- and thus had the horses to get the job done -- but seeming got out maneuvered -- akin to encountering a superior chess gambit.

Two components are needed to win, and win consistently in the N F L.

1. Legit coitusback

2. Excellent coaching (game planning and strategic/tactical planning and/or adjustments).

Did we use our assets to their highest capacity last night? I didn’t see that.

Did we make smart and immediate strategic/tactical adjustments to offset the opposition? I didn’t see that either.

Did we have our players prepared for the tendencies of the oppositions strategic/tactical planning and/or adjustments? I saw zero evidence of that.

And so forth.

That's high-level coaching and planning. And we did NOT demonstrate that against (yes) a formidable opponent. And in the final analysis -- we sort of imploded.

Not good. And it does set a reference point the staff needs to be accountable for.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Date: October 01, 2013 04:51PM

Oh BTW, holic. Did I miss your reply regarding the 10-6 record? I forgot to point out that since we started 3-0...... to then finish 10-6 would mean we went 7-6 in the last 13 games. Not too good when you look at it that way.

Hell, of course, I wouldn't decline playing in the playoffs but just sayin'..... if you're talking about being a good coach.

You're supposed to get better, not worse.

Atlanta, Andrew Luck and INdy, Baltimore, this was supposed to be the roughest part of our schedule not counting the division which of course are games you have to play every year.

I'll take 3-1 like most posters say but I don't say "that's okay" when from looking at the game, to me, 3-1 should have been 4-0.

You TAKE good when you have to but you don't settle for anything but perfect.

Who is that that has the signature that good enough is the enemy of being great?

Date: October 01, 2013 05:02PM

LOL, yeah I'd be happy with 10-6eye rolling smiley

Date: October 01, 2013 05:06PM

Son, you'll always be a failure because you'll always be satisfied with less.

Date: October 01, 2013 05:15PM

So lemme get this straight, we've had a losing record for what, 3/4 straight years?......and you wanna fire the coach for going 10-6?????????

Date: October 01, 2013 05:51PM

Hahahahahahah. First, he AIN'T going 10-6 if he coaches like MNF and secondly, every coach is not measured by his record but is also measured by expectations. If a coach takes a crappy team and goes 10-6, he is hailed.

If a coach takes a Superbowl team and just barely makes the playoffs at 10-6, he is not so well regarded.

But more important than either of these, it's a question of talent and expectations.

Did you bother to listen to the people on the board that talked about the second half performance versus the first half performance???????????

Records are not everything.

If you do your best and have a losing record, there may be changes due but the coach should be safe.

If you do a crappy job and just get by, hell yeah you should be gone.

If you were the owner and every expert in the world told you that 10-6 should have been a 12-4 and that the loss of homefield advantage meant you did not play the AFC's championship at home and you did not go to the SB, what would you as owner do??????

Stick with "good enough"????

Date: October 01, 2013 06:18PM

What a great way to get out of a losing argument. Just hurl insults. It's crazy to expect players and coaches to live up to expectations.

Speaking of age. Yeah I was in my teens and 20's in the 60's and we REBELLED AGAINST MY parents, the WWII generation, and their get tough attitude. Hell, I was at Berkeley in 1967-1970, for chrissakes.

But you know what, most of us turned around and raised our kids the same way our parents raised us.

You apparently were either raised by someone in my generation that took that crap to heart and didn't force your back into the plow.

That's why this country is going to pot and half of you guys are p*ssies and the other half are sociopaths who think the only measure of good and bad is what is in your own best interests.

Perfection as a goal? "Who needs it" you say. Good enough? It's okay as long as people can't say your team sucks.

Well re-read the thread again, dude, I'm not the only one on this board that said the team sucked Monday night and if you don't think so it's because your expectations are too damn low.

And no matter how many insults you hurl, I am not going to back down.

You are no longer arguing the issues because you can't.

Here's another suggestion for you since you can't win the argument.

Call on the Truth to come in and help you.

Date: October 01, 2013 07:50PM

Date: October 02, 2013 02:37AM

Insult?......that was a compliment.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 02, 2013 05:00AM

Brandon Marshall avg with Dolphins, then blew up with Bears. Reggie Bush was avg, and is now killing it in Detroit. When is it coaching?

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: October 02, 2013 05:12AM

The Phins are 3-1!!! They beat the Colts and the Falcons, neither of which was expected. Yes, the loss to the Saints was brutal, but the Saints will blow out a lot of teams this year.

Can we give this a few more weeks before people are screaming for Philbin's head? People were raving about him just a week ago.

On another note, Marlon Brown (Ravens rookie WR) has 3 TDs this year and Torrey Smith has one. Flacco is grossly overpaid and was very fortunate to beat the Broncos last year, but he has thrown some TDs to WRs this year.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 02, 2013 05:34AM

I finally go to watch the game in full on game rewind. Right now, I am absolutely NOT in agreement with getting rid of Philbin because I believe he has a decent chance of being a great head coach.

I also said that we lose 3 times out of 4 if we don't bring our A game (we didn't). Frankly, that may have been optimistic, as they didn't even have to play their best 60 minutes to kill us.

That said, I would say the top reason we lost on Monday was coaching. I think he and his staff set the tone by coaching 'scared' and then not adjusting in game. The running game was working and we did some things that could have been successful in slowing the rush...but we didn't seem to stick with those things when the game started slipping away, and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point. Philbin and Co. need to recognize the unique battle they're going into each week and tactically coach accordingly. 3rd and inches was highly symbolic in settling for a FG in a TD-driven game.

Perhaps surprisingly, I would say Wallace is the 2nd biggest reason we lost. His presence isn't as scary when he drops the long pass. I think the one long one he dropped (though it would have been a tough-ish catch) would have changed the complexion of the game. The more real the long threat, the more teams have to honor it. And, he had at least one other drive-killing drop.

Tanny's 1st-half mistakes hurt, but I don't really count any 4th-quarter stuff for or against him...at that point it wasn't a game. Interceptions like the one to Hartline will happen, but Tanny needs to protect against fumbles better. The OL was bad, but really mainly when the game got away.

I'm with many others - next week will tell us a ton about this team.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 02, 2013 05:35AM

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 02, 2013 06:13AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Saints gig Sean Payton's first Head Coaching job? Totally irrelevant to whether a coach will or won't be successful.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 02, 2013 06:23AM

Anyone care to tell us where Don Shula 's first HC gig was?

Bonus points for guessing where bill belichick' s and/or Mike Tomlin's first HC job was.

Date: October 02, 2013 06:29AM

There you go Chyren, until otherwise noted, you are a lone wolf in wanting to get rid of Philbin as of this writing.

Date: October 02, 2013 06:33AM

Date: October 02, 2013 06:54AM

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 02, 2013 07:07AM

I think Philpin is wishing he had not hired his OC

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 02, 2013 07:12AM

The phins got beat by a better team.

Philbin didn't cause tannehill's fumble or intercept his pass with 2mins to play in the first half.

On the road against a better team on a Monday night. It snowballed into a blowout.

Was anyone giving philbin credit when we were only down 14-10 after the way NO drove it right down the field on the opening drive? Didn't he make adjustments to keep that from happening again in the first half?

what a bunch of chicken littles.

I love philbin's approach and demeaner. I'd rather that calm cool approach to the rex ryans of the league.

Fire a coach after his first loss of the year in week 4 of his 2nd season. That's brilliant.

Date: October 02, 2013 07:17AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Philpin is wishing he had not hired his OC

Why don't you do like a moose..........and try and go head to head against a running train.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 02, 2013 07:31AM

Stop being so melodramatic. Nobody on this board is blindly loyal to anybody-coach OR player. We are 3-1, and I want to see how this team and coach progress through the year, he and they have earned that. Most of the people on this board don't BLINDLY call for heads when things are going well, with certain exceptions.

Rick

Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.