HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Yes, again.....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Yes, again.....
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 01, 2013 09:36AM

I know that after a succession of disappointment of coaches, you guys don't want to make yet another change.

I know that it is a natural tendency of man to not seem like a person always discontent no matter who the new employee is.

I know you just "want to believe."

but sometimes, things work out this way.

Not every time do you go from bad to good.

Just because you are not going from bad to worst does not mean you are not going from bad to "not really that much better."

To me the difference between Sparano and Philbin is that Sparano was timid and Philbin is an outright idiot.

No, dummy, I'm not saying get Sparano back, I'm saying get somebody else.

It was embarrassing to see that game last night. The announcers pointed out that Philbin has never ever been a head coach before, not in pros, not in college, no at that small military academy or whatever he started at, not ever before becoming head coach for us.

Besides the man is a pompous ass but that's just me.

As much as some of you WANT TO BELIEVE, it's time to move on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yes, again.....
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 09:40AM

ChyrenB, relax.

Rick

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 01, 2013 09:41AM

OK......so move on then

Date: October 01, 2013 09:45AM

Okay, I'll take a few drugs. I'm going to need to to get through this season. I predicted we would win the first 3, N.O. would be a tossup but we would lose to the Ravens. Just join me in my tranquilizers next week because Matty is fuming and we are NOT as good as the Bills if last night's play is any indication so don't expect the same results against the Ravens that the Bills got.

Date: October 01, 2013 09:47AM

Matty who?

Date: October 01, 2013 09:48AM

Sorry, I meant Flacco who had an extremely uncharacteristically bad game against the Bills and was fuming on the sidelines after the game.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 09:55AM

chren you are as pissed as iam......i didnt only wanted to fire phibin........i wanted to fire the real deal and that is blasphemy in my book...

Ok now that thats out of my system we need to relax , take the blood pressure medications.....genetic on my part....because its cheaper to my insurance.........isnt it to all of them...?

and take a deep breath and believe we will go into the bye 4-1.

Date: October 01, 2013 09:57AM

NFL Region ?@NFLREGION 36m
Espn power rankings 1-10

1.Broncos
2.Seahawks
3.Saints
4.Patriots
5.Chiefs
6.Colts
7.Dolphins
8.49ers
9.Bears
10.Lions

Date: October 01, 2013 09:58AM

LOL, SamSam.

Date: October 01, 2013 10:07AM

there is nothing that a beat down of the ravens won't cure buddy.

you'll see.

Either that or im going to put my head in a tank full of water and never come back up.

I can't take going into the bye with 2 straight loses.

It would take at least until a week later for me to recuperate from that.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 10:14AM

What are you talking about? "Matty"-Ice, I presume-is an Atlanta Falcon and we've already beaten them. Joe Flacco, the overpaid QB of the Ravens, is completing less than 58% of his passes and no Raven WR has a touchdown-Rice has the most TDs on the team with 2- so, they have little offense. Their defense is much diminished, as is well-documented. I'm not surprised that the Bills beat them, I think we'll beat them worse. So, ease up on the drugs.

Rick

Date: October 01, 2013 10:34AM

You guys are proving my point!

There are have been posted a lot of criticisms of our performance last night on this chatboard.

Some have blamed the o-line, some have blamed Tannehill, some have pointed to the defense.

All cool.

but once I mention, "Let's fire Philbin" then it's like "whoaaaaa."

"Criticize the God?

Calm down.

Let's not get ridiculous."

What I ask you guys is, "Upon what meat does this Caesar feed that he has grown so great."

What is so great about this bald headed knucklehead?

What precisely has he done to earn your undying loyalty?

What? What? What?

Tell me.

Don't just say calm down.

Tell me how he is THAT MUCH BETTER than Sparano????

If you lose by kicking field goals, how is that worse than losing by throwing bombs on third and short (I knew we ran the ball instead of a quarterback sneak but I made the point for example by exaggeration.)

WHAT HAS PHILBIN DONE TO MAKE YOU GUYS SO LOYAL???? WHAT HAS HE PROVED SO FAR?????????

Date: October 01, 2013 10:49AM

for one we are much better in the redzone than last year chren......

am not saying philbin is a god but he is better than sparano.

a piece of rock in my backyard is better than sparano.

Date: October 01, 2013 10:51AM

That's the point. Not saying I want Sparano back but if we have sh*tty, then we can't be satisfied with just crappy. And Philbin is just crappy. Not much better than sh*tty.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 10:57AM

Philbin inherited a mess from Sparano. He's also stuck with Ireland. Personally, with the roster he had last year, I think 7-9 was a coach of year-like effort on his part. I'm as sick about the debacle last night as anyone, but calling for Philbin's head at this point in the season is a bit of an overreaction. The reality is we played against a very good team with an experienced top tier QB. We had our very best player out (Cam), a starting corner out, and Soliai just back from a knee injury. The main thing I'm troubled about is that everyone knew in offseason that the offensive line was going to be a problem and really nothing much was done to improve it, but that falls more on Ireland than Philbin. I like Philbin's steady intellectual approach to coaching. Never too high, never too low. I ask myself the question, are we a better team this year than we were last year? So far, I'd have to say yes. Only time will tell if the team continues to grow and get better. The answers will come with time.

Date: October 01, 2013 11:18AM

Guys you're trying to reason with a guy who wants to blow up a 3-1 team.......there is no reasoning with a crackpot

Date: October 01, 2013 11:32AM

Well, I respect your opinion, 72, but I don't agree. You make a balanced analysis. But to me if someone asked whether I wanted to suffer from a) a heart attack (Philbin) or b) cancer (Sparano), I would choose (c) neither.

Philbin has not demonstrated anything that would render wrong the analysis of the head master at the Military high school that he NOT be a head coach, only an assistant,

of the various colleges at which that the same is true that he be only an assistant

of the pro teams he was with that he only be an assistant.

Taking on your points, although I have been no fan of Ireland, Ireland provided him with the tools that are responsible for the little success he has had, Tannehill, Pouncey, etc.

Did Ireland make the decision to do that dumb play on 3rd and an inch early in the game? The one that had all the posters on this board scratching their heads?

Is Ireland responsible for him seeing the success that Tannehill had on several early plays in the game running the read option and then say "enough of that" because of one fumble and put him back in the pocket to be sacked and to be ineffective for the rest of the day.

There are things involved in coaching that a) the ordinary fan like us will never understand.

Then there are baseline things that b) every person who follows football knows to do.

The Great coaches do both greatly.

The average coaches do b) the baseline things well but a) the complex things, not so well.

The POOR coaches (regardless of how they do the complex things well on rare occasion that can really be chalked up to dumb luck) WILL always screw occasionally on b) the baseline things even every fan knows.

That's Philbin and that means a bad coach and that means he should be gotten rid of.

Date: October 01, 2013 11:37AM

Blow up a team. I could have SWORN I didn't advocate trading players!!!

I could have SWORN I didn't advocate benching Tannehill!!!

I could have SWORN I didn't even advocate that the owner sell the team!!!

Oh, maybe your problem is that you just can't read, dolphaholic?

But more likely it is that your ability to integrate information and understand it is at fault. In other words, you're just dumb.

Date: October 01, 2013 12:37PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blow up a team. I could have SWORN I didn't
> advocate trading players!!!
>
> I could have SWORN I didn't advocate benching
> Tannehill!!!
>
> I could have SWORN I didn't even advocate that the
> owner sell the team!!!
>
> Oh, maybe your problem is that you just can't
> read, dolphaholic?
>
> But more likely it is that your ability to
> integrate information and understand it is at
> fault. In other words, you're just dumb.

Now now Chyren, don't go getting your depends in a bunch, I treat this board like I'm sitting around having a few with my buds discussing sports, and if my best friend said the Bears should fire their 3-1 head coach, I'd call him a crackpot also.smileys with beer

Since we're trying to beat some logic into your head, you wanna explain how we're gonna fire the 3-1 HC (and GM I assume?), attract a top notch candidate mid season, and not expect this new coach to want to run "his" system with "his" players? (like most top notch coaching candidates do). I suppose the new coach could keep RT17 in the mix, but it's a good chance he'd want his future in the hands of his type of QB.

Date: October 01, 2013 12:43PM

Date: October 01, 2013 12:49PM

This thread was not about the GM. That's another problem. I don't like him but I do defend several of his picks like RT.

and I did NOT say fire Philbin THIS VERY SECOND, BUT I do think that in the most propitious manner at the most advantageous time, that we do get rid of him.

Am I saying we should "do a Lane Kiffin" on him? Not now.

Am I saying that he should NOT be here after the season is over? Yes.

Am I excluding getting rid of him at some point in between those two times? No.

Date: October 01, 2013 12:58PM

I saw about three run option plays.

Yes, he did fumble on one but I criticized him the last two weeks about his ball security in the pocket holding the ball low and suffering the ole Tomahawk chop.

Maybe it extended further than that. Maybe, he's got to learn ball security in general.

As far as getting hurt, yes, that is always a possibility in the open field.....

but it's also just as much, if not a higher, danger getting pounded in the pocket or moving around awkwardly (which is natural) while both trying to plant and make a quick pass AND AT THE SAME TIME twisting to avoid a sack.

So it's not just the sack that will get you injured but the maneuvers you have to perform to AVOID the sack.

To me, when you combine those two probabilities, I'd choose risking getting injured on an open field play. JMO on that.

Date: October 01, 2013 01:16PM

And folks, I'm not criticizing Philbin any worse than the announcers in several games have, including MNF night in which they reminded the national audience that he had never had a HEAD coaching job in his life before this one.....as well as them criticizing the on the spot coaching in that game at the same points I did.

1) not calling the right play on 3rd and inches

2) going away from Tanny's natural abilities

3) his defensive passing sets

about the only thing they didn't mention which I did was the poor execution of the players like when Sproles was returning a kick and caught at the five yard line and our defender kept coming at him at full speed allowing himself to be faked out as opposed to "trapping" the returner and making him commit, and then letting your support get there which means that there is no chance he will get away.

I mean it's simple. Time is always against the returner. The more he stays in one spot, the less forward progress he will make because the rest of the defensive guys, even the kicker, or still just coming.

But if he can fake out the first guy, then he has his only chance.

That's why the lead guy needs to stop and trap him and make him commit.

If our players have forgotten their high school coaching training on that point then Philbin is a lousy coach for having something embarrassing like that happen on the field of a PROFESSIONAL football game.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 01, 2013 01:34PM

wow. I've posted 2 times to this thread and it doesn't appear!!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 01, 2013 01:34PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is Ireland responsible for him seeing the
> success
> > that Tannehill had on several early plays in
> the
> > game running the read option and then say
> "enough
> > of that" because of one fumble and put him back
> in
> > the pocket to be sacked and to be ineffective
> for
> > the rest of the day.
>
> Once again you bend the facts to fit your point,
> we ran one read option

Actually, we ran more than one read option but the defense adjusted to take away the QB run after the first one so he handed off to the RB on the others.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 01, 2013 01:35PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> wow. I've posted 2 times to this thread and it
> doesn't appear!!

Maybe you've blocked yourself?

Date: October 01, 2013 01:37PM

Can't explain that, BNF.

Date: October 01, 2013 01:39PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> wow. I've posted 2 times to this thread and it
> doesn't appear!!

Isn't it funny that the one post that DOES APPEAR is the post you post complaining about the others that didn't show up?

Date: October 01, 2013 01:42PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> BigNastyFish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > wow. I've posted 2 times to this thread and it
> > doesn't appear!!
>
>
> Maybe you've blocked yourself?

That's not just a joke. I actually hit the "hide messages" on one of my own posts and had to un do it (I know holic, I know, I should have kept myself blocked LOL) but it still would show up under some title (I forget) you just wouldn't see the message itself.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 01, 2013 02:00PM

I posted two other messages and they vanished some how.

That's too much work...

So let me try this BS one more time...

IMO both our coordinators had some serious "glitches" in this game plan and execution.

Example #1 3rd and 20 -- run a freaking screen for 1st down +

Example #2 3rd and inches -- run a freaking sweep pulling Gs and lose 5.

Further Example: Sproles running wild and free like he's invisibleā€¦

Further Example: throwing a slant when the CB has obvious (2-3 yards) inside technique.
I mean -- that is BASIC level 101 pass coaching -- and just as obvious Thill wasn't prepped adequately on the technique.

Further Example: punt on 3rd and a foot at the 50 when you MUST KNOW you better score 30+ if your into this game to win.

And so forth.

But ALL of those factors fall on Philbin --- and that is what's most disappointing about the "contest." The team was easily out-coached and unprepared to deal with the amazing trickery of (for example) running Sproles extensively out if the back field on pass patterns. I mean -- like wow. That was totally unsolvable!

No. I'm not into making radical changes at this junction. But I am VERY disappointed in Philin & the coordinators.

BNF

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.