HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Worst Draft in years .....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Worst Draft in years .....thumbs down
Posted by: rick1355 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:04AM

NO impact players at all .......... Nothing like a bunch of average Joes. I'm pissed, you can sugar-coat this draft all you want !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst Draft in years .....thumbs down
Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:06AM

I thought Brandon was at least close to an impact player.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:12AM

worst draft in years? you either just started following the team of have repressed the wanny saban camoron years. I don't see our top pick being Eddie Moore, who a lot of draft experts didn't even think should be taken in the 4th. I don't see us taking an injured shrimpy kick returner with our top 10 pick. I don't see us trading next years high picks for 2d and 3d rounders before the draft even starts. I don't see us taking a 3d cb who sucks over drew brees.

worst draft in years?? perspective, please. we got a starting DE who many thought was top 15 talent. We got a starting OLB and probably OG too. I'd rather have had maybe different guys, but who we took are pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 07:12AM by berkeley223.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:19AM

Well said berkeley, some people seem to forget how bad it was around here in recent years. Saying any of these players are stars or busts would be moronic 2 days after the draft, but at least they filled needs, and most of the pundits agreed with their picks. I guess some people are just never happy

Re: Worst Draft in years??? .....thumbs down
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:45AM

Well, you can't judge the draft that quickly.

I'm not sure what your definition is of an impact player...but, I think we have some excellent potential with some of our picks.

To be an impact player you have to be able to get on the field and make impact plays...Tackles, Sacks, INT's, Passes defensed, and some big hits.

We drafted a collection of high motor, tough, physical players that have potential to make impact plays.

The lone offensive player has real potential to be a mauler in the run game.

We also have seemed to gravitate towards team captains. Captains tend to be leaders who instill knowlegde. We certainly have to develop these players, but I do agree w/ Ireland that team captains tend to develop at a quicker pace.

We did deal with some areas of weakness in our defense. Specifically, the cover LB who should create a better matchup against the TE's that killed us last season.

The other problem was the deep passes over the top of our D. The safety prospect and pass rusher should provide some impact in changing that tendency.

This draft will be judged in 3 years and hopefully we have found at least 5 long term keepers.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:50AM

Overall, I am pleased with the draft. It is true that there were no "sexy" picks, but each one filled a need and should complement each other well. I love the Misi and Edds picks inparticular. Both should be steady and reliable fixtures to our defense for years to come. Odrick and Jerry, likely starters, stabilze both lines of scrimmage.

The rest of the picks I am not sure about, but we thought enough of Jones to trade up for him and Ireland feels he has "tons of potential". McCoy doesn't lack confidence and was his conference's defensive player of the year. Carroll never had the opportunity to blossom due to injury, but he does have the skill set to do so.

What I really like is just how our entire team has become younger, faster and bigger. Do we have stars? Well we still have Ronnie and Ricky and signed Brandon Marshall. Jake Long is as much of a star as a lineman can be. Defensively, I still think Wake can be a sack leader. Karlos Dansby was arguably the best defensive acquisition in free agency. Davis and Smith are very promising corners.

All and all, I am guardedly optimistic about this year and our future. Our biggest problem is that our division is so good and I hate the fact that the Patriots are loaded with 2 #1s and 2 #2s in next years draft.

Date: April 25, 2010 08:04AM

Show me some pizzaz ................ please ! I'm tired of the fins passing on some game changers.

Date: April 25, 2010 08:27AM

Pazzaz??? Can you be more specific? Who did you want?

Posted by: dickyd13 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 08:33AM

you mean pizzaz as in Ted Ginn?..... yeah it sucks we couldnt get some game changers like that in the Draft

C'mon Rick get real

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 25, 2010 08:35AM

Also, there are two ways of looking at the draft.

You can look at the individual players and here, they all may be, by the end of their careers starters and stars. That may well be true. However, that would not mean that it was a successful draft if we end up trading most of that talent while we lose games for lack of breath.

On another post, Mike0 and Odenn, said that you don't try to draft 7 different stars in 7 different positions and hope they will all become all-stars. Well, THE OTHER EXTREME is drafting SEVEN GUYS AT ONE POSITION TO MAKE SURE THAT POSITION IS COVERED.

That's just as silly. That is what we did with linebacker.

I agree with Rick that for years now we have passed on top guys in order to find the "diamond in the rough" at other positions.

Let's see what happens in the future to 1) JAHVID BEST, 2) TOBY GERHARDT AND 3) MOUNT EVEREST CODY.

I don't think its fair for you guys to say Rick is longing for Cam Cameron......but the kind of thinking exemplified by this DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH philosophy of this draft HAD US PASSING ON DREW BREES.....

how many years AFTERWARDS did it take for us to come up with CHAD HENNE???????????

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 25, 2010 08:43AM

Doubling UP has worked of us EVERY YEAR with Parcells. We tooK Turner then Hartline. Turner bombed, Hartline hit. We took Merling then Langford. Merling is failing, Langford is good. We took Murphy and Thomas. Murphy didn't do anything, Thomas was a servicable starter for a while.

You go into EVERY draft hoping to find 3 starters. THAT'S IT!! No less than that. If you get more great, but if you find 3 starters out of a class its a GREAT class. With Odrick and Jerry probably starting from day 1 you have 2 there. And with Misi probably starting or starting a year from now, right there is your 3rd starter.

After Dansby and an injury prone Crowder we have little to nothing at LB. Wake might not be an everydown player. Anderson is nothing special. We come out of this with Dobbins, Misi as instant impact players. Edds already named a nickle-LB before he landed in Miami. Those are guys who will step in and CONTRIBUTE and play from Day 1!

Date: April 25, 2010 08:51AM

Doubling up maybe but QUADRUPLING UP?????

And by three starters, I hope you are talking about at THREE DIFFERENT POSITIONS.

If you are talking about one position like linebackers, you had better be the Indianapolis Colts, almost undefeated, and not the piss-poor Miami Dolphins, with a 7-9 (?) record 17th on offense and 22 on defense.

Date: April 25, 2010 08:56AM

Doubling up.

2 MLB's
2 OLB's

Not that difficult.

Three starters period. I don't care what position.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:03AM

Errr, linebacker is one position whether inside or outside and some of those we picked could go either.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:06AM

We drafted (2) OLB's and (2) ILB's which is exactly what is needed for a 3-4 defense.

I'm guessing that MISI is Taylors replacement at SLB.

Wake will probably be Porters replacement at WLB w/ the rookie adding depth to that position.

Dansby & Crowder in the Middle w/ Crowder rotating out to allow Edds to be the cover LB in certain passing situations.

Spitler is just a special teamer at this point. Obviously, we need depth at ILB.

Adding 4 LB's seems reasonable when we have lost 3 (Porter, JT, Adele). Torbor, Anderson, Moses, Folsom, & Walden are certainly positions that can be upgraded...don't you think?

Date: April 25, 2010 09:06AM

We play 4 linebackers.

Saying linebacker is 1 position is insane!

Quarterback is 1 position, where you play 1 guy. RB is one position where you play 1 guy. LINEBACKER where we play 4, inside and outside both requiring very different skill sets cannot be lumped into 1 position!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2010 09:07AM by MikeO.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:10AM

How stupid can you get, just because there is more than one receiver make receiver more than one position.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:12AM

Now your just namecalling and aren't even trying to talk football.

I'm not sinking to that level. If you don't get the difference between OLB and ILB (like everyone else can)....then I don't know what to tell ya.

Good day!

Date: April 25, 2010 09:16AM

Either address why there is more than one receiver but it would be stupid to draft four receivers (when there is a no.1 receiver, a no. 2 receiver, etc.)?

If you can't keep up, just admit it. I said your position is stupid. I didn't say you were (which would be name-calling).

But if your position is so stupid even you can't defend it, then I don't blame you for bowing out.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:21AM

Date: April 25, 2010 09:24AM

You got to have some big time players .......... we did not get one game changer. Not one ! Looks like the phins are striving to be average !

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 25, 2010 09:44AM

How do you know that Odrick won't become the next Richard Seymour or Aaron Smith or Randy Starks? He could be a game changer....Seymour and Starks certainly were.

We solidified our front 7 thereby making our secondary better. Vontae Davis, Will Allen and Sean Smith will be the game changers....as well as Cameron Wake.

Misi could turn out to be a great SOLB and compliment to Dansby and Wake. Its not always about getting the "perceived" biggest name. Sometimes its about getting a player that fits within the scheme.

Hey, I wanted Earl Thomas as bad as anyone but its hard to argue ET vs Odrick AND Misi.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 25, 2010 09:54AM

MikeO, there are trades and there is free agency both pro and undrafted. You don't have to get it all from the draft.

Eesti, as an exception to the number of linebackers as a whole, I actually like the Odrick pick as a player and I really like Nolan and Rashad.

However, at some point, you gotta draft the Drew Brees.

You gotta take a chance on excellence.

You gotta say, "Darn it! Five quarterbacks of the fabled six quarterback class have been drafted....we're at 27...but f-it, we're taking Dan Marino."

Mediocre and conservative moves bring forth mediocre results.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 25, 2010 09:55AM

All I know is we could have had Earl Thomas AND Sergio Kindle with our first two picks. I'll take my chances with those guys versus any of the guys this front office selected.

Date: April 25, 2010 09:57AM

Just the point, Hokie, we pass on big names to get a bunch of guys who might be solid performers but whose chief virtue is that we can get em with lower picks.

At some point, you gotta go for the gold.

Date: April 25, 2010 10:07AM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I know is we could have had Earl Thomas AND
> Sergio Kindle with our first two picks. I'll take
> my chances with those guys versus any of the guys
> this front office selected.

Wasn't Kindle drafted in the 2nd rnd? How could we of had both? W/out trading down we didn't have a 2nd, your scenario is impossible unless we didn't trade for Marshall

Date: April 25, 2010 10:09AM

I think he meant that he would have rather had either.

Date: April 25, 2010 10:13AM

Date: April 25, 2010 10:14AM

I seriously doubt that Kindle (or Dez Bryant) was even on our draft board. Those type of guys are not leaders. We passed on Kindle twice and I am very glad that we did. The kid from UTAH needs to prove that he is the better choice on the field...but, I feel pretty good about the at selection.

Our first couple of picks combine talent w/ leadership.

We gave Sparano his token offensive lineman that fills a need and adds flexibility.

We moved up to get the cover LB that had a unique skill set to make us a better defense.

And to our surprise, the Safety from Georgia was still on the board in the 5th round so we moved up to grab him.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 10:16AM

You can't rate any draft really until about 3 years later. Highj picks(Ginn) are busts, lower round picks or undrafted FA's like brady, Romo, John Randle & Colston become stars.

I think misi will be a stud. Not to sure on the DB's, hopefully we got some diamonds.

Remember everyone saying Zach & JT too small and/or slow for the NFL?

Hopefully Edds & Misi are the next in the line of the offerdahl, Thomas molds.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.