Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do YOU support Michael Vick's return to the NFL?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Do YOU support Michael Vick's return to the NFL?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2009 04:51PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 17, 2009 04:58PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 17, 2009 06:36PM

ghotirule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He doesn't even
> deserve to be crapped upon by my retriever-mut
> Moser.

What? Is your dog's poop too good for Vick? drinking smiley

Date: May 17, 2009 07:51PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 17, 2009 09:04PM

The dog fight is wrong...in the United States and some other countries is because it is illegal. Plain and simple. Not because there is some innate code that says it is.

Dog fighting is OK for some...just not to you. That does not mean that those who think it is OK are wrong in that belief. Neither does it mean that you are wrong in your belief that it is.

Again, it's wrong because the law says it is...period.

I for one am now done with this thread because it's simply degrading into two opposed viewpoints...nothing more can come from this particular discussion.

I'm taking my football and going back to the relevant discussion field to play.

Date: May 18, 2009 05:34AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 18, 2009 07:16AM

And you are simply being pious. Yes, it's wrong because it's illegal. If it was not illegal it would be acceptable to most of us because it would be something most of us did routinely.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:05AM

Looks like nobody is going to change their minds about how they think. I for one stand for what i said at the beginning of this thread and theres not a soul on earth that can make me change my mind about how i feel about the situation.

THE END!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 08:05AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:27AM

forgiveness is devine winking smiley

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:59AM

100!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: May 19, 2009 06:51AM

My point is like in the NBA call the fouls both ways. If you wanna say that dog fighting is animal cruelty then what about horse racing? Horses are not genetically built for racing. They have little skinny legs and ankles the size of humans and a large heavy upper body that ways a half a ton. They are ridden until their little legs bleed and often times break, pumped with pain killers and performance enhancing drugs and force to keep running. They live a reoccuring torcherous life which is arguably more "reprehensible" and worst than dog fighting. And yes, when a horse cannot preform anylonger do to extensive injury, like vicks dogs they are taken out to the field and shot.

Why are these people not serving time in prison for what they are doing to these animals? I will tell you, cause it is a multi BILLION DOLLAR industry so people turn a blind eye. The people that "makes the rules" makes lots of cash off betting so it is cool. All the reppa asks is that you call the game fair both ways, if dog fighting is animal cruelty when poor people do it then horse racing is animal cruelty when rich people do it...

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: May 19, 2009 07:34AM

Oh come on. Horse racing is not animal cruely. Your explination is way out of line. Horses are born to run and that is just plane fact. Of coarse racing horses are bred to run and they are treated right from the start. I have two good freinds that owned race horses. Your statement would really piss them off. It is not fact. They are not torchered. They are treated with respect and the best possible attention.

Dog fighting is a whole nother issue, and it is cruel.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 19, 2009 07:35AM

True...Greyhound racing is another. My sister runs a rescue for these abused animals that are forgotten about for all the same reasons. These animals normally don't like men and are very timid and nervous. it is pretty sad. Same ole story...it's ok as long as the blue blood rich are ok with it and continue to buy politicians.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 19, 2009 07:45AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Oh come on. Horse racing is not animal cruely.
> Your explination is way out of line. Horses are
> born to run and that is just plane fact.

True, horses were born to run it's a beautiful sight to see. But were they born to run with a piece of metal in their mouth, and a human on top of them whipping them? That's the knock on horseracing.

I'm not against horseracing per se, in fact I used to love going to the tracks in S. Fl, even when kids weren't allowed and i had to sneak in. And I do believe that horses are treated well overall (they're big investments for their owners; and it's in their interest to treat them well). I think they could do a slightly better job (i.e., don't hit the animals) but the sport as a whole isn't cruel IMO.

Date: May 19, 2009 07:56AM

eesti Wrote:
> True...Greyhound racing is another. My sister
> runs a rescue for these abused animals that are
> forgotten about for all the same reasons. These
> animals normally don't like men and are very timid
> and nervous. it is pretty sad. Same ole
> story...it's ok as long as the blue blood rich are
> ok with it and continue to buy politicians.

I've found that the treatment of greyhounds varies a lot from state to state. My source of this information is my friends who are involved in their rescue/adoption. Interestingly, Massachusetts recently outlawed greyhound racing by referendum, even though there were little or no documented cases of abuse locally. I don't know any people who got rich from greyhound racing--the tracks around here seem to have very, very sparse attendance which is the *real* argument for shutting them down.

And wow, talk about an animal that was born to run....greyhounds haul A$$ with no jockeys; I could watch them run for hours. But they only run for a few minutes then sleep for 23 hrs per day grinning smiley Absolutely beautiful animals.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 19, 2009 08:14AM

Date: May 19, 2009 10:04AM

eesti Wrote:

> The treatment is no different from one state to
> another if these animals are only being bred for
> personal gain and disposed of after 3 years.

If thousands of greys are being shot in the head in Alabama in a well-documented case, while no such thing has happened in Massachusetts, I'd say the treatment of greyhounds varies quite a lot from state to state. They get killed en masse in the South, not so much in the North. That's different to me.

The implication that they are automatically "disposed of after 3 years" is a gross generalization. Adoption efforts also vary from state to state, but retiring from racing is not an automatic death sentence for greys. The percentage of ex-racing greys becoming pets has gotten a lot better over the years, and I know many people who work at the shelters in New England who are trying their best to make it closer to 100%.

I don't want any of them killed, and I hope that idiot in Alabama gets a thousand bullets up his poop chute.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 19, 2009 10:31AM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> My point is like in the NBA call the fouls both
> ways. If you wanna say that dog fighting is
> animal cruelty then what about horse racing?

I agree. I don't like horse racing, greyhound racing, cock fights, puppy mills, animals in circuses, or any zoos that keep animals in cages. I say get rid of them all! They are all cruel to animals.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 20, 2009 08:07AM

I do think the main sin in dogracing is the lack of concern about the dogs after their racing days are over. And that with horseracing, I agree that it is in the owner's best interest to not mistreat them.

I don't think either could be equated with dog fighting.

But my overall point is this. Like was said above, one really cannot change another's mind on how he views treatment of animals versus treatment of humans. But I remember when I asked KEN how he would feel if Vick's crime were child molestation as opposed to what he did with dogs (what he did to the gentle ones keep in mind)? Ken came back and said if the child molester did his time, then he too should not be deprived of a living. Well, as long as he is taking that position because of his beliefs that is okay. What would not be okay would be if he was only willing to give football players a pass because he likes to watch football and, for his own selfish viewer interests, is taking that position.

To me, whatever position I take is not dictated by my own petty little consideration of whether the guy is a geat athlete and I want to see him compete. That would make me no better than the people who like to see dog fighting and really do not care what happens to the dogs.

I assumed Ken's position was based on his view on rehabilitation and not on his view as a fan.

That said, arguing about this stuff is really like arguing about whether lemon pie is better than cherry pie. But I still don't think you can equate dog or horse racing with dog fighting. That's a stretch. You could make the same argument about boxing and wonder whether Muhammad Ali's present problems are due to Parkinson's or to years of getting punched in the ring.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: May 20, 2009 08:40AM

Completely off topic here, but.. Do you have even a passing acquaintance with the English language?

Rick

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: May 20, 2009 01:02PM

This thread has run its course and is no longer productive (it wasn't long ago) ... and is distracting from the main topic we are here to talk about. Therefor, it is now locked.

*********************** Thread Locked *************************8

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.