HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Ireland Still the Enemy?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Is Ireland Still the Enemy?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:30AM

Poll
Do you think:
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
23 votes were received.
The Dolphins should fire Ireland after the season regardless of the outcome? 4

17%
Retain Ireland, but keep a close eye on him? 8

35%
Retain him and give him free rein? 8

35%
Other- please explain below. 3

13%

"Sometimes I wonder about the percentage of Dolphins fans who would prefer the team lose games just to ensure that Ireland doesn't stick around past this season. That faction of fans are out there, but
should they really be called Dolphins fans? For the record, I really don't care what happens to Ireland. But I'd prefer to evaluate him
on his draft picks, roster moves, and the team's performance than blame him for everything that's wrong with the team, and America." -Omar Kelly
Has the way that many of the kids are contributing to the team's success changed your minds about Ireland?

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Ireland Still the Enemy?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:33AM

HMMMM tell that to the judge....!smileys with beer

I mean the attorney!smileys with beer

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 09, 2012 12:36PM

LOL. I'll hold back my vote until the end. Earnestly. I just want to see how the rest of the people vote.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 09, 2012 12:55PM

I think it is all about the options and solutions, as I have said before, firing somebody is not a solution, the solution is in the replacement...Therefore it is hard for me to answer an open ended question..... It scares the hell out of me, the idea of Mr Ross having the insight and ability on his own to hire a great GM.. On the other hand, I dont feel really great about Ireland making solid choices next year with all of those draft picks we have compiled.. If the right guy comes along to replace Ireland, I wouldnt have any problems with it.. Do I wanna trade Ireland for Carl Peterson, or a Randy Mueller type, no... While I am not a big fan or Ireland, I like him better then what Spielman, Saban, and Mueller did in the position..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 12:57PM by Crowder52.

Date: October 09, 2012 01:00PM

Great point about Ross! If the question was do you want to have Ross sell the team (provided it would not be moved) you would get a 100% yes on that question.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 09, 2012 01:18PM

you need to add another choice---evaluate him after the season with another full season of play from his draft picks. but based on his full body of work I say get rid of him. he's had many more bad decisions than good

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 09, 2012 04:54PM

My point remains the same. It's a collaborative relationship between GM and HC. And so far the relationship between Ireland and Philbin seems to have traction. Unless Philbin has a dude in his back pocket that he trusts to deliver the goods more than Ireland I believe Jeffie has earned the right to continue into Y2 of the Philbin era.

And like I said in the past, I also believe Philbin and Ross talk shop all the time and you can bet Ross wants to know if Ireland is getting the job done for Philbin. And last, stop the insanity.

The ONLY boss Philbin has is Ross.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 09, 2012 05:21PM

If RT turns out like I think he is going to then Ireland is ok in my book. Finally a franchise QB after 13 years. I'll build him a friggin statue in my front yard.

3 full or part time starters (NOT counting Vontae) from 09 draft
4.5 from 2010
4 from 2011
4 from 2012

Free Agents...

Dansby, Burnette, Bess, Bush, Fasano, Matt Moore, Randy Starks, Cameron Wake, Richard Marshall...maybe Gaffney turns out well.

2013 draft

pick 1, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4,5,6,7

Probably 3-4 more studs at least in that draft. Starting WR or CB or DE?

New exciting offense from Philbin and Sherman, Top 10 defense from Coyle.

I don't understand what the problem is.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:52PM

Free rein?

Seriously?

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: October 09, 2012 07:02PM

DolfanKing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Free rein?
>
> Seriously?

Uuum Yeah? Who is going to keep an eye on him? Ross? J-Lo's ass knows more about football then Ross. He was hired to be the GM. You either have confidence in him or you don't. But no one in the Dolphins Organization is really qualified to keep an eye one him.And that would defeat the purpose of his Job. If there is someone qualified to question him , then they need to be the GM.

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: October 09, 2012 07:25PM

As mentioned above the player selection chemistry between Philbin and Ireland seems much better then it was under Sporano/Ireland. Personally I like what I see so far based on this season alone. I'm willing to forgive the previous years for Ireland if this year and next year are equally productive. Then we will be able to tell if fist-pump was dragging this team down.

Maybe that's why he got fired in the first place? Hmm. Time will tell.

J-E-S-T suck suck suck!

Date: October 10, 2012 03:15AM

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:30AM

Ireland stays and maintains the full authority of his position.

All Dolphins decision makers must have full authority to perform their task or be replaced. They get evaluated at the end of the season not during it.

The Phins have just undergone a complete systematic change on both sides of the ball. Ireland will be granted more time to complete the shift for the new coaching staff player profiles.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 10, 2012 04:00AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> LOL. I'll hold back my vote until the end.
> Earnestly. I just want to see how the rest of the
> people vote.

HAha dam chren are you turning a new leaf?....or however you say it....you didnt pop a vein with this poll?

Now i know the world is coming to an end. LOL.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 10, 2012 04:11AM

xx - Other
It's a team sport in the front office too. Don't give him free reign, don't keep a close eye on him except the final results on the score board. Have him work closely with the coaches to deliver the players that they ask for to win. The stadium is far from overflowing at home games but attendance seems to be improving and that should make everybody happy. Most here agree that the team is moving in the right direction so the hate for Ireland is largely residual from the past few seasons. Go Phins drinking smiley

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:39AM

The GM and coach are inextricably linked. I think we're seeing early fruit from the coaches' ability to develop players. In terms of player "lifecycle" with the team, Ireland is responsible for their evaluation as inputs. Coaches are responsible for getting the most out of them possible, which includes putting them in position to succeed on game day.

As we see Jones, Jerry, Smith, Clemons, Misi, Hartline, Tannehill, Martin, Bush, etc. blossom we see that maybe Ireland was better at getting the raw materials than he was given credit for.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 10, 2012 06:53AM

I have liked what Ireland has done since Parcells has departed. I really think Parcells (and Soprano) were the reasons we sucked so badly.

I have no problem w/ Ireland.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 10, 2012 08:10AM

Ireland is in charge now and since HE has been in charge the drafts have been nice.

Date: October 10, 2012 08:41AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Ireland is in charge now and since HE has been in
> charge the drafts have been nice.

who was good on last year's draft beside pouncey? no one. let's stop saying Ireland has been making good draft picks the last few years (jury still out this year but so far it does look good)

1st: Mike Pouncey (C) Florida---good player

2nd: Daniel Thomas (Rcool smiley Kansas St---looking like a bad pick and now concussion prone

4th: Edmond Gates (WR) Ab Christian----bust

6th: Charles Clay (Fcool smiley Tulsa---some ability but way too inconsistent

7th: Frank Kearse (DT) Alabama A&M---not on team

7th: Jimmy Wilson (Dcool smiley Montana---still on team, no great shakes

that is 2 of our top 3 picks off the team or looking pretty bad (don't forget the trade up to get DT)

Date: October 10, 2012 08:55AM

Berk's got it right. And you can go through all of his drafts and see some successes, Jake Long, but other failures. If you started from the PREMISE that we HAD TO DRAFT a quarterback with our no. 8 pick (not saying that was or was NOT a good premise but just saying that once you accept that premise) then drafting Tannehill was a no-brainer, it would have been insane to draft Weeden at no. 8 and nobody knew about Russell Wilson.

So can you really give him credit for doing the obvious.

But does he find the Gronkowskis? That's the kind of pick more than picking Tannehill when (controversy or not about how high he should go) he was unquestionably the third best QB in the draft and numbers 1 and 2 were already gone????????

Date: October 10, 2012 09:13AM

He doesn't find the Gronks andd Jimmy Grahams but he does find the Koa Misis (drafted in round 2 before Gronk) and John Jerrys (drafted in round 3 before Graham).

Again, not to belabor this point I have made many times before, but Ireland has YET to pick a player in the first few rounds who out-performed his draft position (I don't want to hear about Jimmy Wilson, please). By which I mean, if you take an OT or C high in the first round and he is a good player, that is to be expected. But where are the pro bowl players taken after round 1 (which is how the great teams do what they do). There are none.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 02:29AM

Gronkowski was a second round pick, not a find. He was a highly rated TE in high shool.Wilson and Clay are finds. Both may pan out. Thomas was a good RB at K St. Irellands not a t fault for his concussions. Sorry to see that devellopment because I think he has trade value. I would have kept Gates over Armstrong.
Kearse was signed off off ou DEV squad by Carolina and is still on the roster. So 1 6rnd pk and 2 7 rnd pks still on nfl rosters that is finding talent.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 11, 2012 03:13AM

Date: October 11, 2012 03:28AM

Date: October 11, 2012 06:19AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Gronkowski was a second round pick, not a find. He
> was a highly rated TE in high shool.Wilson and
> Clay are finds. Both may pan out. Thomas was a
> good RB at K St. Irellands not a t fault for his
> concussions. Sorry to see that devellopment
> because I think he has trade value. I would have
> kept Gates over Armstrong.
> Kearse was signed off off ou DEV squad by Carolina
> and is still on the roster. So 1 6rnd pk and 2 7
> rnd pks still on nfl rosters that is finding
> talent.

this is a joke, right?

Date: October 11, 2012 08:58AM

"highly rated TE in high school"????

Date: October 11, 2012 11:08AM

You guys don't get it. Good scouts look for dudes who sucked in high school or didn't play football at all because that's where you find the "unknown great footballer" previously best known for his table tennis and Queen gambit chess opening.

I mean DUH! You freaks just don't have the subtle neuron comingling chatter and cranial forward thinking slope to appreciate the more esoteric aspects of talent evaluation.

BNF!

hot smiley

Date: October 11, 2012 11:11AM

Date: October 11, 2012 11:52AM

That's the key. In order for a pick to be great, the player has to OUT-PERFORM the position at which he was picked.

Then you can talk about a "great" pick. Take Tannehill for example, if he continues to progress and turns into the John Elway he is looking like now, then, even though the pick was dictated by our need for QB, then it still would be a great pick because he was passed up by Indy and Wash (assuming of course Luck and RG turn out to be just good and not great QBs).

The point I tried to make about Gronkowski is that he is performing like a top 10 first round pick and lasted to the bottom of the 2nd (I am assuming that was NE's picking position given their record). While a 2nd round pick is high, Gronk has far outperformed the usual 2nd round pick.

Date: October 11, 2012 01:02PM

Super stars don't grow on trees but
Ireland has found some luminous beings
in the scrubs like Wake and
Reggie and Bess and
by the freaking way
mo foes have you noticed
how certain players are suddenly de-
veloping under this staff? You guys are

monotonic jackasses because you ab-
solutely refuse to modify alter evolve
or otherwise develop your opinions
in any meaningful way to contribute
to an ongoing open-ended dis-
cussion about the team
as opposed to
various diatribes and un-
relenting mind fox. Are thou in-
capable of creative discussion?

Perplexed. And BNF.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.