HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Ireland Still the Enemy?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Is Ireland Still the Enemy?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 09:56AM

Jeff ireland is DA BOMB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>smileys with beer

Watch it!

Incoming missile from chrenB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 15, 2012 09:57AM

It was a good day for Ireland. Vernon, Tannehill looking like studs and Pouncey still competing for a PB bid.

If RT continues to get better and turns into a PB QB...

Pouncey earns All pro status

Vernon develops into a strong compliment to Wake

Lamar Miller keeps showing his talent.

Next year we add a stud WR and CB as well as a few players for depth....maybe a nice athletic LG.

The coaching staff turns in a winning record in a "rebuilding year"...

Does Ireland get a reprieve from you Ireland haters?

Still all very possible.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 15, 2012 10:02AM

eesti QUOTE: maybe a nice athletic Lguard.

Yes because iam tired of the bull$H!T penalties from incognito.

Everybody else has a chance of been great. But you have no chance with the stupid penalties. Im sick of this idiot.

Date: October 15, 2012 10:07AM

GO Play that ultimate fighting championship $hit or something. Leave the phins alone.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:18AM

HE DA BOMB! HE DA BOMB! LOL.

Date: October 15, 2012 11:24AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HE DA BOMB! HE DA BOMB! LOL.

thats what its all about. Been a true fan. Today you have nothing bad to say about ireland i can feel it chren.

Tommorrow you will put some roach black flag on his orange juice but today we won.

And we all happy.

Date: October 15, 2012 11:37AM

No, like someone else has said. That game was all Tannehill. As I said before he only gets half credit for that, not full credit because although he should be given credit for WHAT POSITION HE PICKED AT 8 AND TO STAY PUT AND NOT TRADE UP OR DOWN, it was really a no-brainer WHO he picked at number 8, there was no quarterback choice except Tannehill.

So why should Ireland get any praise for yesterday? I don't see it. Yes, some of his other picks performed okay but what about the others?

Do you really want him making the picks in the all crucial draft of April of 2013? Really??? Do you SamSam?

Date: October 15, 2012 11:45AM

Agreed chrenB.............

I said it before....I think the drafting of tannehill was more joe philbin than ireland.

I think i rather have philbin making the picks.

And id call jimmie johnson and ask him for advice everytime we are ready to draft a defensive player.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 15, 2012 01:49PM

It's hard to defend Irelands past blunders (I don't really give him a pass during the Parcells years, 50/50 to me) but it's also hard to argue with some of the young guys he's drafted that are stepping up this year. Some that didn't perform during the Sporano tenure, Jerry, Misi and the young safetys, it also looks like he killed this last draft with Tannehill, Martin, Miller and Vernon either starting or contributing. He's gonna miss some picks, but ALL gm's do, now he needs to get some more game changers on both sides of the ball.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 16, 2012 03:44AM

Ireland's big knock is not finding "superstars". Well that may be coming to an end.

My take is this.....

Ireland was groomed under Parcels. He had Parcels ice age theories pounded in his brain daily. He, as a young and upcoming personnel guy went along with the "master" in that theory.

He knew he would one day be the man and have to do his own thing. The closer he got to that goal, the more he starting separating himself from Parcels and wanted to do his own thing...as most men would.

There was some friction toward the end as Parcels and Ireland differed over certain draft picks. Parcels knew that he was going to be gone soon so he left Ireland to his own devices at the end.

Parcels walks (as he always does) and now JI is playing his own game. He may have adopted some of the teachings of BP but now he is more free to do as he sees fit. He got rid of a dud coaching staff that Parcels saddled him with and seems to have put together a great system that actually makes sense.

He hired a proven talent developer in Philbin. He then let JP hire a WCO OC. He then drafted that OC's very bright star pupil (34 wonderlic) who he believed could cut the learning curve by starting in the NFL in his college system. It was perfect.

Last year (2011) was not a good draft overall. Sometimes it happens to even the best GM's. To his credit, he did grab the best player at 15 who is turning into an all-pro. That is a budding superstar in my book.

2012 is shaping up to be a much better draft and we may be on our way back to respectability after a decade of disaster.

He is not and has not been perfect but I don't know many guys out there that could come in and do any better. Those guys already have jobs.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 09:33AM

eesti Wrote:
> It was a good day for Ireland. Vernon, Tannehill
> looking like studs and Pouncey still competing for
> a PB bid.
>
> If RT continues to get better and turns into a PB
> QB...
>
> Pouncey earns All pro status
>
> Vernon develops into a strong compliment to Wake
>
> Lamar Miller keeps showing his talent.
>
> Next year we add a stud WR and CB as well as a few
> players for depth....maybe a nice athletic LG.
>
> The coaching staff turns in a winning record in a
> "rebuilding year"...
>
> Does Ireland get a reprieve from you Ireland
> haters?
>
> Still all very possible.

YES

Date: October 16, 2012 10:00AM

You can't just look at the good moves and ignore all the bad moves.

Why?

Because the NEXT draft is probably the most pivotal draft in our history.

Do you want his hit and miss hand on the throttle then??????

What is the question by which you can judge what is the sensible course to take NOW?

Well, that question is not "What if he does well." If he does well, it won't matter that you TOOK A RISK leaving his hand on the wheel.

The pertinent question is "If he screws it up can you say 'BOY! THAT WAS A SHOCKER!'?"

Unless you can say that you would have a heart attack in being surprised IF he screwed it up, then you should not let him be the general manager in the next draft.

So what I want to see in the posts below are people willing to post that "WITHOUT A DOUBT, I WOULD BE SHOCKED IF JEFF IRELAND SCREWED UP THE NEXT DRAFT!"

No weasely words. Just come out and make that statement WITHOUT QUALIFICATION.

I certainly won't. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he screwed it up.

How about you???????????

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:04AM

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he screwed up, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if he has the best draft in NFL history.

I just hope his last few drafts pan out where we have starters that play well, and with the 2013 draft, our first pick ends up being that "superstar" we have all been waiting for.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:13AM

He has the ammunition to get 2 or 3 receivers a good safety and corner, maybe a LB A guard that can replace the atomic bomb incognito.

Chren i have a question for you...

Do you want ireland to succeed next year with the drafting....or do you want him to fail just to prove your point...

I know its a stupid question.....but you made me thing of DK and his wanting for tannehill to mess up just so he can say he was right all along.

Just wondering...

IMHO i think you want him to have the best draft in dolphins history next year.

Just wondering.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:15AM

captkoi Wrote:
> It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he screwed
> up, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me
> if he has the best draft in NFL history.

Taking that statement, if I were the owner of the company and my general manager had to make a decision about who would run a certain outlet and the person who ran the outlet had a crucial decision and I called the general manager and asked him what was the guy he hired like and my general manager told me "I hired this guy and if he does good I wouldn't be surprised but if he screws up, I wouldn't be surprised either," then I'd fire that general manager.

Morale of the story. You don't keep an employee if EVEN IN YOUR OWN MIND, he could just as well screw up as do good.

I think it's sad that our franchise has fallen to the point since the Robbe-Shula days that we are willing to accept a guy who even WE concede might very well screw up.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:24AM

In the business world, you are correct, but sports is a whole new ballgame.

Many teams have had the number 1 pick in the draft and screwed up; not because they made a bad choice, but because the guy didn't work out or wasn't as good as the whole NFL thought he was.

One never knows in sports. Teams do get lucky--think about it. Washington gave up a lot to move up to get RG III. What if he didn't pan out (ala Ryan Leaf)? That would have (possibly) set them back 3 years and may have seen the exiting of their GM.

As we all know, the draft is a crap shoot. It says something when the middle of the draft picks turn out to be much better picks than the first couple of rounds.

Now, if someone continues to draft poorly as did Matt Millen, then it is definitely time to go. Ireland hasn't done a BAD job, but thus far, I would grade him as average. I am still willing to give him another year or two for his draft picks to either come around or prove him a lousy GM.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:29AM

You're right that it's a stupid question, SamSam, because the question HAS NEVER BEEN WHETHER we want him to fail or succeed but whether he should be fired or not.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:31AM

And to break it down to Kindergarten, Sam Sam, whether he should be fired BEFORE the next draft. That's what we're debating. Now I must read the seemingly more serious response by Cap.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:35AM

captkoi Wrote:
> In the business world, you are correct, but sports
> is a whole new ballgame.
>
> Many teams have had the number 1 pick in the draft
> and screwed up; not because they made a bad
> choice, but because the guy didn't work out or
> wasn't as good as the whole NFL thought he was.
>
> One never knows in sports. Teams do get
> lucky--think about it. Washington gave up a lot
> to move up to get RG III. What if he didn't pan
> out (ala Ryan Leaf)? That would have (possibly)
> set them back 3 years and may have seen the
> exiting of their GM.
>
> As we all know, the draft is a crap shoot. It
> says something when the middle of the draft picks
> turn out to be much better picks than the first
> couple of rounds.

RESPONSE: I can't argue with any of the above.

>
> Now, if someone continues to draft poorly as did
> Matt Millen, then it is definitely time to go.
> Ireland hasn't done a BAD job, but thus far, I
> would grade him as average. I am still willing to
> give him another year or two for his draft picks
> to either come around or prove him a lousy GM.

RESPONSE: This is the part I disagree with. He's been here since January of 2008. That means he was here for the draft of April of 2008. That means HE'S HAD FIVE DRAFTS.

To say he needs SEVEN DRAFTS to fairly evaluate him is a premise that I cannot accept.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 16, 2012 10:44AM

You have to assume that Ireland will be working closely with the coaches to identify the players that the team needs to succeed. Ultimately the blame or kudos fall on Ireland so, there is an incentive for him to deliver the talent that Philbin and co. want.
The stadium is gradually filling up so, no doubt Ross is pleased with the status quo for now.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:47AM

Chren you hate the guy so much it almost seems that way.

We might keep ireland afterall if the phins continue to succeed.

Like i said he lucked out with Tannehill. Tannehill is his ticket out of the doghouse.

Date: October 16, 2012 10:57AM

If you want to know the emotional history of me versus him it is this.

1) I felt he should go with Sparano and Cameron

2) I thought the "Was your mother a crack whore?" question was exceedingly stupid and then I began to question his sanity more than his efficiency

3) then came the "tearing down" rather than (even if lying) comments he made to Vontae rather than saying "they made us an offer we couldn't refuse".

4) Then I reviewed his history and saw the few hits and many misses.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 16, 2012 11:28AM

"1) I felt he should go with Sparano and Cameron"

What does that even mean?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 16, 2012 12:54PM

silly thread. really.

was ireland really evvah the enema?

Don't think so. Based on the results
we excreting some really nice stuff
these days.

Date: October 16, 2012 02:15PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> "1) I felt he should go with Sparano and Cameron"
>
> What does that even mean?

Grammar mistake and name mistake

correction:

1) I felt he should HAVE GONE with Sparano and Dan Henning.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 17, 2012 08:37AM

The draft is one thing, but only a portion of a GM's responsibilities. I would say that if the team is showing true signs of heading in the right direction (i.e. SB contention on the near horizon) then to fire the GM would be nearly unthinkable. How do you tell his potential replacement or anyone currently a part of the organization that the team is on the right track but he's not the right guy when he was essentially the one guy kept from the previous regime and had probably the biggest hand in the turnaround with the hiring of Philbin and the drafting of Tannehill.

In addition to his recent hires/picks/FA signings, there are other signs he's coming into his own.
1. he has been willing to own up to mistakes (Marshall)
2. he is apparently in lock-step with his coach and doesn't hang on to picks nostalgically (Davis)
3. he hasn't buckled to pressure for the quick fix (Orton, Flynn)
4. he's been shrewd in managing to keep important players for reasonable $$$ (Soliai, Wake)

I'll also mention that his 2010 draft is looking pretty good in terms of 4 or 5 starters on a seemingly rising team. 2011, well after Pouncey it doesn't look anything like the 2010 draft :-) 2012 added 3 rookie starters and Vernon making a true impact on the DL rotation. For a team on the right path to be built with about 40% of starters (incl. the all-important QB position) drafted or UFA in the past 3 years is pretty darn good. Two of those players are listed at the top of their position in the league currently this season.

Right now it looks like we're headed in the right direction but the season's only 1/3 over. If we stay on this trajectory for the remainder of the season, I'd say he's safe through 2013 whether any of us thinks he will screw up the draft or not.

If for some reason he is let go, I'd love to know who is unquestionably an upgrade and available for hire.

Date: October 17, 2012 09:57AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> captkoi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In the business world, you are correct, but
> sports
> > is a whole new ballgame.
> >
> > Many teams have had the number 1 pick in the
> draft
> > and screwed up; not because they made a bad
> > choice, but because the guy didn't work out or
> > wasn't as good as the whole NFL thought he was.
>
> >
> > One never knows in sports. Teams do get
> > lucky--think about it. Washington gave up a
> lot
> > to move up to get RG III. What if he didn't
> pan
> > out (ala Ryan Leaf)? That would have
> (possibly)
> > set them back 3 years and may have seen the
> > exiting of their GM.
> >
> > As we all know, the draft is a crap shoot. It
> > says something when the middle of the draft
> picks
> > turn out to be much better picks than the first
> > couple of rounds.
>
> RESPONSE: I can't argue with any of the above.
>
> >
> > Now, if someone continues to draft poorly as
> did
> > Matt Millen, then it is definitely time to go.
> > Ireland hasn't done a BAD job, but thus far, I
> > would grade him as average. I am still willing
> to
> > give him another year or two for his draft
> picks
> > to either come around or prove him a lousy GM.
>
> RESPONSE: This is the part I disagree with. He's
> been here since January of 2008. That means he
> was here for the draft of April of 2008. That
> means HE'S HAD FIVE DRAFTS.
>
> To say he needs SEVEN DRAFTS to fairly evaluate
> him is a premise that I cannot accept.

Not saying he needs seven drafts. I don't count his first two because Parcells was in charge. I know folks here have said, "Yeah, but...." but one cannot override one's boss. He can give suggestions and opinions, but that's as far as it goes. Parcells wants Long, Ireland doesn't....guess what? Long is the pick!

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: October 17, 2012 05:54PM

This GM is horrible. That fact that he will be responsible for this many picks makes me sick to my stomach.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: October 17, 2012 06:49PM

As I live and breathe, DolfanKing has posted.

Date: October 18, 2012 04:58AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> As I live and breathe, DolfanKing has posted.

And hold on to our horses.......he is at it again.....Now that its been a few days since the real deal tannehill threw 2 tds no ints and like 100 plus rating.....Now that he is over that....he decides to post again.

haha

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.