HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cam Newton
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Cam Newton
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 16, 2011 05:12PM

He has not been asked to read defenses in college. Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell looked great in workouts, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 17, 2011 03:58AM

I agree Mark.

But, physical tools always make Coaches fall in love with a player, Cam Newton will be a top 5 pick on physical attributes alone.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 10:12AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree Mark.
>
> But, physical tools always make Coaches fall in
> love with a player, Cam Newton will be a top 5
> pick on physical attributes alone.

Do you think he has moved ahead of Blaine Gabbert, because that would almost have to be the case for him to go that early... I thought Arizona liked Gabbert.... And washington would currently be the team we need to get ahead of to get him....

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 17, 2011 11:55AM

Ultimately, yes. I think his physical tools will make some coach fall head over heels for him, actually, I wouldnt be surprised to see him go #1 overall.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:35PM

a&o I think you are right. It is much more likely he goes #1 overall than #15. I don't see him getting out of the top 5.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:41PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I agree Mark.
>
> But, physical tools always make Coaches fall in
> love with a player, Cam Newton will be a top 5
> pick on physical attributes alone.

I hope so. Get him picked before us so that Ireland isn't even tempted.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 02:41PM

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 19, 2011 04:58AM

He's not a good kid Auburn who is so desperate to win let this kid have a free run on their campus. His father the fact he never went to class lead me to beleive he will be another Vince Young cancer on any team that drafts him. What do you mean the annointed one sit's on the bench. The locker room will be divided and the coach ultimately loses authority and respect due too him because of one player. I am sorry if I ruffle feathers are hurt peoples feelings on this board. To me Cam Newton = Vince Young except more baggage and a bigger entourage, and Vice Young costs the most tenured coach in the NFL to be fired. Do you think Jeff Fisher regrets drafting VY why don't you ask him. Any coach who takes Newton is going to face similar circumstances. Newton has been getting a free pass his whole life as a pampered QB. Now that he is in the Pro's that will no longer happen. He will be on a team of stars then the fireworks will start. In my opinion character counts for a whole lot when drafting NFL players. Newton's past and the dealings of the father during the recruitment process tell me to stay the hell away from this player. I don't think Newton makes it past the Raiders anyway because it seems like Newton is an Al Davis type of player, and he will only add to the dysfunction that is the Raiders.

Date: February 19, 2011 05:17AM

raiders don't have a first rounder this year---just one of the many holes in your theory

Date: February 19, 2011 01:42PM

Yes you are right however mark my words Cam will be the biggest BUST in this years draft.

Date: February 19, 2011 01:55PM

did he kick your dog or something? you REALLY are down on him

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 19, 2011 10:19PM

No I just think that everyone else is HIGH on him, not realistic.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 03:51AM

realistically the guy one the Heisman, a NC, and played in the toughest damn conference in the World, the SEC and kicke ass. Those people saying he did not have to read defenses are flat out liars. Am I high on the kid yeah. Do i Think he will be an all pro I really do not know. My problem is the BS artist who also do not know that wants to keep flushing the kid down the toilet.

Would I draft him, if I liked what I found out from him in interviews yes and that's all to if IMO. Bringing up all the trash and garbage from UF is ok its a fact but so is everything he's done (not his dad) is fact also.

and this is America pops tried to make a buck all these self rightous types can stick it.

Date: February 21, 2011 04:26AM

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: February 21, 2011 04:36AM

I'd rather draft AJ Green and give Henne another year.

Date: February 21, 2011 04:52AM

Mentioning Marino and Newton together in the same sentence should get you banned from this board. Say all you want about him, but he will b the biggest bust in the draft. Some of you are enamored with the kid because of his size and athleticisim however once in the pro's he becomes so one dimensional and predictable that he will fall so hard on his ass that he will be out of the league in 3-4 years max. I am so sure of this that I can see his failure even before he takes his 1st snap in the league. I just keep seeing Pat White trying to throw a pass for the Dolphins then I see him getting knocked out by the Pittsburgh safety then you want me to believe that Newton will make it in this league when he played in the same system and had better numbers in college. In order to make it in this league you need to play under center in a PRO style offense and be able to read defenses. I told everyone on this board after we drafted White that he would be a colassal failure in this league and I was right. Newton I think is another spread QB who will never make it in this league. Their are no Vanderbilts int the NFL.

Date: February 21, 2011 04:55AM

And before some of you start Pat White and Drew Brees are about the same height however Brees played in a Pro style offense at Purdue and what did White play in oh yeah the vaunted spread. I hope you all get my point.

Date: February 21, 2011 05:03AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Mentioning Marino and Newton together in the same
> sentence should get you banned from this board.
> Say all you want about him, but he will b the
> biggest bust in the draft. Some of you are
> enamored with the kid because of his size and
> athleticisim however once in the pro's he becomes
> so one dimensional and predictable that he will
> fall so hard on his ass that he will be out of the
> league in 3-4 years max. I am so sure of this
> that I can see his failure even before he takes
> his 1st snap in the league. I just keep seeing
> Pat White trying to throw a pass for the Dolphins
> then I see him getting knocked out by the
> Pittsburgh safety then you want me to believe that
> Newton will make it in this league when he played
> in the same system and had better numbers in
> college. In order to make it in this league you
> need to play under center in a PRO style offense
> and be able to read defenses. I told everyone on
> this board after we drafted White that he would be
> a colassal failure in this league and I was right.
> Newton I think is another spread QB who will
> never make it in this league. Their are no
> Vanderbilts int the NFL.

Comparing Cam Newton to Pat White, shows your lack of knowledge of football. SO that is all I have to say abouth that. Did you watch Cam Newtons Pro day? Did he take tons of snaps under center?
Newton has all the attirbutes as well as mental toughness and never quit attitude. Not only will he not be out of the leauge, he will most likely be a Probowler in 3-4 years.
Yes it is tru Marino's character and witt was questioned leading up to his draft, just like Cam Newton. In fact Marino's character was made worse then Newtons, the people in the know said he was a moron, and had a bad cocaine problem and wasnt reliable enough..
Newton is a stud anyone that thinks different didnt watch him play but one game at best? And then think they know everything about the guy let alone to think they have the knowledge to claim he doesnt have it.. How many people didnt think Aaron Rodgers had it the year he was drafted, probably more then are against Newton.

Date: February 21, 2011 05:38AM

Everything that guy say's about Newton show's he's football knowledge is very low. There are no Vandy's in the NFL. Why did he not mention the other SEC teams Newton dominated.

Date: February 21, 2011 07:34AM

We shall wait and see you koolaid drinkers damn there are obvious fools a plenty on this board.

Date: February 21, 2011 09:32AM

Finshady Wrote:
> We shall wait and see you koolaid drinkers damn
> there are obvious fools a plenty on this board.

SO you went and made this post calling fellow members obvious foolsand then went to another post 2 minutes later and claim that those who disagree with you have deteriated the post down to name calling? Is this really MIA? Only MIA does this type of stuff...

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:40AM

Almost Every qb out of college has talent. IMO it just depends if he is put on the right system. surround him with talent and give him a great teacher and he will turn out a pretty good qb.

Date: February 21, 2011 09:52AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Almost Every qb out of college has talent. IMO it
> just depends if he is put on the right system.
> surround him with talent and give him a great
> teacher and he will turn out a pretty good qb.

I agree samsam the Nurture part of the equation is a vastly underrated

Date: February 21, 2011 10:40AM

Cam is already working out w/ one Ben Rotheilsburger ex qb coaches and using Warren Moon as a consultant. The guy is doing the right things. If he succeeds terrific if not he will not be the first.

Date: February 21, 2011 10:58AM

Hey Crowder .... you.

Dont compare me to him, keep it football related and stop insulting me, because he makes a much more compelling case than you do with your man crush on Newton.

He is 100 percent right, your stud Newton is nothing more than Pat White just bigger and should be able to throw it better.

Vince Young ring a bell? He won't be any better than Young.

Also I will bet you $20 bucks, and anyone else on this board that your Cam Newton will become a bust, meaning he will not be worth his first round pick status.

I'm glad you are excited about a certain player I was with White, so I get it, but also I am now realistic, that the odds are against this guy.

Tebow is a better overall QB, and he might not ever pan out, which makes your case for Newton that much more foolish.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:29AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Hey Crowder .... you.
>
> Dont compare me to him, keep it football related
> and stop insulting me, because he makes a much
> more compelling case than you do with your man
> crush on Newton.
>
> He is 100 percent right, your stud Newton is
> nothing more than Pat White just bigger and should
> be able to throw it better.
>
> Vince Young ring a bell? He won't be any better
> than Young.
>
> Also I will bet you $20 bucks, and anyone else on
> this board that your Cam Newton will become a
> bust, meaning he will not be worth his first round
> pick status.
>
> I'm glad you are excited about a certain player I
> was with White, so I get it, but also I am now
> realistic, that the odds are against this guy.
>
> Tebow is a better overall QB, and he might not
> ever pan out, which makes your case for Newton
> that much more foolish.

I dont think it is foolish, but we all have opinions. I understand thinking a guy is going to be great and he isnt, I am not immune to that in the past.
Like you said I am excited about a player, and I believe his knocks are valid but not detrimental. I like Blaine Gabbert as well. I think a QB to compete with Henne is not a bad move. I think Newton is mentally tough and a guy that rises to the top continuously. His QB rating, passing completion percentage, his passing yards, passing touchdowns make him a first rd pick then add in his stature and rushing touchdowns and ability and it is a done deal IMO. His father played in the NFL and so does his older brother.
We havent taken a shot at a Qb in the first rd since Marino, and I like the idea of taking that risk. Newton has tremendous upside, and I believe he is worth the risk. His fortitude is the deciding factor. If he has all the other tools and size and stature, why not.
I do not believe Pat White wanted to play football and get hit and had no fortitude, I do not think Jamarcus Russell had it either. If these guys had that charecteristic, things might be different for them. Newton has had more obstacles placed in front of him and setbacks but he always persevered to the top.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:33AM

As far as the bet I am up for it, but how do we define successful and how long do we give him.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:41AM

I agree White did not want to play football, and I blame his over protective mother for his failed attempt, and I bet she was all about him playing baseball.

I am not sold on Newton's character. This is why, his dad was payed BIG BUCKS to get his son to a school, that desperatly needed to win.

He was spoiled REALLY spoiled at Florida. He went to a dump of a college in comparison, and basicaly did everything under the table, to help there huge investment on there starting QB, so all of a sudden he is some new person?

No that isnt the case, and in the pro's when he has somebad games, he will instinctivly look for daddy, or somone to help bail him out.

He did it in college, and that behavior will take a while to change.

Like White, he has the physical abilities, but there is a outside force working against that. His mental ability.

I don't trust the guy, you do thats the differance.

I don't think he will ever be better than Young, to me he is a carbon copy of Young. Thats my opinion, and I might be wrong, but I don't want to waist our only f.cking pick in the first two rounds on a guy with this big a question mark.

Thats the problem, if he had a steller personal life, and stayed out of trouble, and didt have a greedy father, then I would say lets pull the trigger, but sorry his actions, and actions of his closest supportive figure his father, who helped raised him, is a HUGE concern.

Look my son has a pretty good arm on him, he can throw at the age of 4 the football his size 20 plus feet.

He will be around 6-2 to 6-4 in hight, and with a willingness to play football, and with a supportive mentor in me to always do the right thing, and give it your all win or lose, have fun with it, and luck he will be a top first round pick in 20 years.

I will not accept payment of any money for sending him to a college, because I want him to earn it, not accept a bribe, and a easy pay day.

That is what pisses me off about him, is that he didnt tell his dad don't take the money, and if you do then I will never talk to you again. or somthing along that lines, no no he was ok with it, to the point that he didnt open his mouth about it, because he knew he could get into trouble.

Again BIG character issue, that doesnt sit well with me, so again Pass, and let this bum become somone else's problem.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:42AM

He has till end of his third year to be considered a franchise QB. That is fair to me.

Date: February 21, 2011 11:55AM

After Florida he went to Junior College and started over and won the Junior College National Championship.
As far as him and his father that is all speculation. No one knows what he knew or didnt know and obviously he was cleared of any wrong going while many players this year were not.
I personally know of stud NFL players who got paid in college and they went on to win superbowl and be probowler at there position.

Not many guys go from being a blue chipper to a nobody that has to go to Junior College, to taking on the SEC the way he did and blew every team out of the water. No one gave Auburn or Newton a chance at the begining of the year, but yet he won the National Championship, Offensive player of year, SEC player of the year and Heisman. His journey and his success's are what I like.
My main knock and worry on Henne was he never rose to the top yet. That is huge to me, especially considering the chances of him doing it after being cut by Florida and nobody wanted him in Div 1.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.