HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Chuckie or Cowher?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chuckie or Cowher?
Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 21, 2010 07:13AM

Cowher's a good coach and if he's available Ross should pull the trigger immediately.

No question he is a huge upgrade over Tony "Wasted Timeouts" Sparano.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 21, 2010 10:17AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > His teams do get worse. And then better again.
> >
> So did Shula's. Worse...then Better.

I disagree. When Shula arrived in Miami the Phins got better immediately. From 3-10-1 to 10-4 in one year. That's not getting worse first then better. Of course, over time the teams had their ups and downs under Shula. But he had only two losing seasons his entire time here.

>Nowadays
> it's rare that a coach stays on long enough to
> have their team get better, though.

This is largely true. Fans expect immediate results or it's "throw the bum out"

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 21, 2010 10:26AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Cowher didn't make draft selections or sign free
> agents in Pittsburgh. That's not the way the
> Steelers do business.
>
> He didn't really "build" anything other than team
> chemistry. Neither did Chuckie. They coached
> what they were given.

IMO this is what we sorely need in Miami. Build a great ORGANIZATION not just look for one guy to be savior. Seldom do great head coaches excel @ COACHING, GM, and PERSONNEL.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 21, 2010 12:31PM

Its funny that when I call out stinkfish, he resorts to getting mad. LOL.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:13PM

Isnt our main problem offense, more specific consistency out of the QB and interior of the Oline. How in the world is CHucky or Cowher going to get our offense going? You guys are star struck and like big names that is all. Please tell me which great QB's these guys picked and groomed under their tenure as a Headcoach...
They won becasue of Defense, they help build great defenses, that is what these guys marks were on the NFL IMO.
I like Sparano, if we had to get rid of Sparano, the best choice would be to promote Nolan to HC before hiring either one of these guys mentioned. Then hire a young hot shot offensive cordinator.

However I still think our best option is Sparano HC, keep Nolan by paying him like a HC and hire a young hotshot offensive cordinator.
Gruden and Cowher would sell tickets yes, but they are not our answer to the problems facing our organization which is mainly offense. The interior of the line and consistency out of the Qb and better play calling. and I do not remotely get how the solution to those problems equates to Cowher or Chucky.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 01:16PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 21, 2010 01:14PM

I do agree.

We should have hired Scott Pioli.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 21, 2010 01:28PM

Nolan was a BAD head coach of the 49ers. Yes, that is a team with bad ownership, and yes, he was stuck with Alex Smith. But if Mike Nolan takes over here, he will be stuck with Chad Henne.

Look at the trainwreck that Mike Singletary is in San Francisco. Do you know how bad Mike Nolan was as HC of the 49ers? Even with Singletary being less popular than Sparano with his team's fans, nobody is saying it was a mistake to replace Nolan with Singletary.

Sparano is an OL coach, yet our OL is terrible. Is Sparano not responsible for that? Is that 100% Jeff Ireland? Do you think that Jeff Ireland goes out and makes personnel moves on the OL without consulting his head coach, who has that background?

Bill Cowher won with Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell. I am not a huge fan of Bill Cowher, but there's no question that he would be an upgrade. I am tired of watching the wasted timeouts, the inability to win two straight games, and the field goal fist pumps.

Again, our HC is an offensive line coach and the OL is possibly the worst part of the team right now.

Date: December 21, 2010 02:10PM

Once again lets use some basic football knowledge here instead of hype. Our HC is an offensive line coach, however our offensive line problems are personel not coaching. THe offensive line coach/ who is actually our HC and he has nothing to do with personel.
And to be more specific
I am pretty sure some of the cutting of personel was a financial issue, encouraged by those that control finances of the organization not the football side.

I agree Nolan had a tough go in San Fran, however Singletary has not done crap in that organization either, so I am not positive it was a Nolan problem. As you said there are many holes in that organization since Eddie left ownership.

As I said I still think the best bet is to keep Sparano and Nolan and acquire a new young hot shot offensive cordinator. Cowher and Chucky do nothing to improve our teams problems just help the finacially strapped ownership sell some tickets and compete with the Heat.

I am scared that the financial side of the team management has already started calling and enforcing shots, which is why Parcells left IMO. SO i wouldnt be surprised is they hire one these Hype tickets selling coaches rather then what is best for the football end of the organization

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 02:12PM by Crowder52.

Date: December 21, 2010 02:15PM

Date: December 21, 2010 02:26PM

"Our owner isn't financially strapped. He's loaded and he's been selling off small chunks of the team to B-List celebrities for a while now. If anything, Ross' background makes him more likely to pull the trigger and pick up the tab."

Obviously you do not know much about finances, banking, real estate and debt. THe DOlphins are losing money. Ross is a real estate guy, real estate has gotten destroyed since Ross first made a move to purchase the team. Why dont you look up the Related group and the losses of the company in the last 3 years. IT will boggle the mind. ROss paid the largest amount anyone has paid for an NFL team. Granted he got the stadium, but he is going to lose this team, I promise you. He overpaid by alot and bought in a boom market. I do not think another NFL team will go for what Ross paid for the team, for at least twenty years. 1.1 billion dollars......WOW. He still owes Huizenga a bunch of cash because he couldnt borrow enough money to buy the team. Huizenga knew Ross was being foolish and way over paying. which is why he said no worries I will let you owe me a couple hundred million. Ross wants to be a bigshot and a celebrity and he is a moron for purchasing the team at that price.Just take 1.1 billion dollars and do 6 percent interest and figure out how much debt Mr Ross has to cover every month....

Wayne didnt care about money, he already made at least 5 to 9 times his investment on the team and was making money on the team hand over fist on the Dolphins among other companies. Mr Ross has ten times the overhead Mr Huizenge had when he owned the team, if you cant figure out that is bad for the team and organization, I am not sure what to tell you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 02:28PM by Crowder52.

Date: December 21, 2010 02:40PM

Date: December 21, 2010 03:04PM

Mr Ross is extremely rich yes, but this team at the price and timing was awful, like i said, do you think it is good for the organization that Ross has ten times the over head and worse sales and not much growth potential.
He agreed to give 100 million to U of Michigan when it was boom time and real estate was worth twice as much as it is today. He also first bought into the Dolphins at the same time, during the boom, and had an option to buy the rest before the elections of 2008 at a certain price determined during the initial purchase.
If he has so much money, he would not have had to defer so much of the payment amount ot Huizenga. Ross couldnt get it done and Huizenga took an IOU on a big amount of money, WHy would he do that if Ross has so much money on hand. And again look at the difference in value of his main company THe Related Group when he first purchased the team and option during the boom vs what it is now.
The Dolphins are losing money, for the first time in a long time and it is becasue the amount of debt Ross has on the team. That is not good for the team and yes IMO has an impact on the financial decisions of the organization

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 03:18PM by Crowder52.

Date: December 21, 2010 03:11PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 21, 2010 04:30PM

Date: December 21, 2010 04:34PM

Date: December 22, 2010 02:48AM

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: December 22, 2010 02:55AM

> I guess the only chance MR Ross really has to save the organization is to win and hope fans will over pay for a wiining team.

LA Dolphins?

Date: December 22, 2010 03:07AM

seadevil Wrote:
> > I guess the only chance MR Ross really has to
> save the organization is to win and hope fans will
> over pay for a wiining team.
>
>
> LA Dolphins?

I hope not, I am a local and that would kill me. The HEat were having some problems and had real bad attendence last year and season tickets holders were dissappearing left and right. One year later, they add Lebron and Bosh, they sold out the season tickets packages in the 2 days in between the Bosh/Wade signing and Lebrons announcement. And just about everygame the Heat will play in this year Home or away will be completely sold out. Winning or the perception a team is about to win, can make the price and demand go through the roof. I hope he is going for that philosophy. I am just not sure the type of debt MR Ross has on the team can be overcome without a booming economy and a booming team. Rather then relocate I hope he would just accepts defeat and sells the team at a loss to a more reasonable person, that can make the team money and have alot less debt on the team.

ps- Also when you win, your TV contracts have a much greater value to the team!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 03:08AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: December 22, 2010 03:31AM

> Rather then relocate I hope he would just accepts defeat and sells the team at a loss to a more reasonable person, that can make the team money and have alot less debt on the team.

> ps- Also when you win, your TV contracts have a much greater value to the team!

Build it and they will come, kinda thing.

Date: December 22, 2010 03:41AM

seadevil Wrote:
>
> Build it and they will come, kinda thing.

Miami has always been a fickle SPorts town, IF you dont build it and are overpriced, they will not come!

DOubling prices to season ticket holders and then having a 1-15 season in the same year, is not a good mix for fan support. Then add a guy looking to buy a ticket into the in crowd by overpaying for a famous franchise and putting a ton of debt on the organization to do so, and something has got to give at some point IMO.

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: December 22, 2010 03:52AM

First of all let me say that I like Sparano as a coach, his team plays hard and disciplined. I just don't like his philosophy of keeping it close and trying to win it in the 4th QTR.

I will take Gruden over Cowher, people seem to have forgotten what he did in Oakland. while it's true he took Dungy's guys to a Superbowl tittle it's also true that Callahan took Gruden's guys to that same Superbowl. This offense has fall and it can't get up, Gruden can fix this offense not sure Cowher wouldn't be more of the same.

FYI- no one is getting fired in Miami, Henning will retire and hope will spring eternal.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 23, 2010 04:50AM

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: December 23, 2010 06:26AM

Chuckie loved Brady Quinn coming out of college and thought he would be a great NFL QB.

So, in terms of identifying QB talent, maybe he's not who is going to really help.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 08:25AM

1. Marty
2. Cohwer
3. Chuckie

My choices

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 23, 2010 09:40AM

Just saying... there are some decent NFL minds out there who think Nolan is a better prospect than either Gruden or Cowher. Check it out for yourself if you want to do the research…

Obviously G and C are the sexier candidates but… Historically these “big names” coming back into coaching after an extended hiatus have not ripped it up. The most successful I can think of is Dick Vermeil.

Parcells did the TV thing and didn’t burn-up the league afterwards.

Mike Shanahan (no TV but) isn’t looking very brilliant

Who am I missing?

Seriously, IMO neither Gruden or Cowher guarantee this team is significantly better (I mean a legit contender and a team that can compete at the highest level pretty much every game).

The basic reality is, no matter who’s coaching, we’re not going to light it up until we get a franchise QB. That “fact” reveals how critical it is we bring in someone with a solid plan to solve the QB problem.

It only took Cowher like 10 or 12 years to find a QB in Pitts.

For some reason I think Gruden has an advantage in that area.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 09:54AM

Your arguing against taste people Cowher is mean, old school defense tuff guy.

Gruden is the southern boy turned Metro, and has what seems like a good hold on the way the nfl offense's work nowaday's.

If we keep Nolan, then I would rather have Gruden, I think his style would stand out more, and would be better.

HOWEVER all of this depends on who the hell will be our OC?

If it is Childress then Crowher hands down. If Garrett or somone else thn Gruden.

I think our OC position will ultimatly decide in which coach, that is if we don't let Sparano go.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 09:57AM

Cowher is and will be the phins next head coach.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 23, 2010 10:04AM

Mia1 Wrote: Gruden is the southern boy turned Metro...

Oh that's too funny dude. LOL.

Too bad we don't have the ultimate Metro on the team (JT) if Chuckie Metro joins the party.

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 10:07AM

LOL I know but it's true I mean you ever watch him talk, you clearly get the sense that yeah southern man, but money and fame is screamin "Its raining men". lol He is not gay, so the term that best fits that man is metrosexual.

Lol I'm glad I'm not the only guy who caught that lol..

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 23, 2010 10:10AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> .....
>
> Gruden is the southern boy turned Metro,

I thought he was MidWestern.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.