HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          awesome marino highlight video
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
awesome marino highlight video
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 04:58AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: awesome marino highlight video
Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 29, 2010 08:22AM

Great film. I agree, we were spoiled.

That New England game that started it was a classic! Bledsoe v. Marino matchup (Parcells and Shula coaching). Back in the days when we had no defense, had a bunch of lead changes. On 4th and 6, late in the game, Marino hits Irving Fryer 30 yards down field, in stride for a TD. Awesome stuff.

Then they show that great Jets V. Miami from back in mid-80s. Duper was coming off a major injury, his first game back. Late in the game, Marino hits him with a strike, 40 yards down field and 5 yards behind the defender. TD. We win.

Those were the days.

Date: August 29, 2010 08:32AM

don't forget, that pats game was his first back from his achilles if I remember correctly. He played badly in the preseason and people were questions whether he'd ever be the same. then he lights up the pats in game 1. awesome. I remember watching that game in college in boston with a bunch of my friends who were pats fans. the looks on their faces when marino beat them with the 4th and 1 TD to Fryer was priceless.

Date: August 29, 2010 09:27AM

Date: August 29, 2010 10:01AM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:50AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 29, 2010 03:10PM

I remember Dan offering to take salary cuts in order to keep the team competitive. What an incredibly unselfish and awesome franchise QB he was. I sure miss him. To this day it pains me so much that he didn't get his ring that he so truly deserved.

Date: August 29, 2010 03:13PM

and---his decision to retire a phin (even after wanny treated him with no respect) rather than continue playing as a viking was 100% class--compare this to farve or the rest of the mercenaries who make up the league now.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 06:40PM

The Best! Nuff said!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 30, 2010 04:54AM

I grew up in KS and only got to see him on MNF and playoffs, generally. The thing I notice from the video is that he didn't seem to let coverage keep him from throwing the pass. I'm sure it bit him a lot, too, but I'll bet a lot of his success was due to the defense thinking they had receivers covered.

Date: August 30, 2010 05:07AM

Dan always thought he could complete the pass...regardless of the coverage. He had the arm for it, and that's one thing that made him so successful. I remember numerous completions between defenders, often for TDs, where I know most QBs would NEVER attempt that throw...but Dan completed it!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 30, 2010 05:45AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> man we were spoiled back then . I remember
> watching these plays when they happened at the
> time and just expecting them as part of normal qb
> play.

Yes indeed. Csonka spoiled me as a running back, then Dan did spoiled me as a quarterback.

I expected a solid gain whenever Zonk got handed the ball. I expected a needle-threaded pass on a rope or a completed Bomb whenever Dan received the snap.

Neither guy disappointed.

Of special note in that highlight reel was Marino's footwork. Notice how many times he sidesteps a pass rusher then fires the completion.

Date: August 30, 2010 05:55AM

JC Wrote:
> Of special note in that highlight reel was
> Marino's footwork. Notice how many times he
> sidesteps a pass rusher then fires the completion.

Yes. Dan's footwork was impeccable. The fact that he was rarely sacked was only partly due to his O-Line. Dan had a lot to do with that. Also, he was so in-sync with his O-Line, that even when things DID start to break down, Dan usually found a way out of it.

Date: August 30, 2010 07:29AM

montequi Wrote:
>
> Yes. Dan's footwork was impeccable. The fact
> that he was rarely sacked was only partly due to
> his O-Line. Dan had a lot to do with that. Also,
> he was so in-sync with his O-Line, that even when
> things DID start to break down, Dan usually found
> a way out of it.

To Dan, a yard of room might as well have been an acre. That side-step, often with just a tiny stiff arm was about as good as Elway's feet. Get him out of the pocket and he was a turtle, but in the pocket he was the most mobile QB in the history of the game.

Date: August 30, 2010 07:55AM

You can probably compare Dan's footwork to a prize-fighter. So, Dan was the Muhammad Ali of QBs drinking smiley

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: August 30, 2010 08:15AM

Aside from the perfect throws shown in this video, his footwork was the first thing I noticed. To watch someone as SLOW as Dan elude those D-linemen like he did is something you don't see alot of these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.