HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Henne -- almost good
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Henne -- almost good
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 28, 2010 02:29AM

I haven't rewatched the game, but my initial response is the Henne took a step backward in this game.

It also didn't help to have the penalties and the dropped passes...but, Ginn isn't here to blame any more. And just traded away our best hands on the field.

It seemed to me that Henne was off on his timing on some passes and was forcing other's. Getting the ball off late to Fasano made the difference between a TD and a incompletion. And then later, trying to force the ball to Fasano in the Endzone when there were two pass options right in front of him cost us some points and generated the turnover.

In contrast, Pennington seemed to know right away where to go with the ball or not to go with the ball.

Yes, the pass rush was intense...but, that is always going to be a factor in determining what the QB does with the ball. Henne just did not seem to have a good night of processing information and reacting on time.

On a positive note, he made a terrrific pass to Marshall over the coverage on the deep left sideline. We need to keep feeding the wolf w/ that play.

Hopefully, Henne will learn much from this game.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henne -- almost good
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:37AM

I don't want to start a QB contreversy however Henne throws the ball way too hard, and lacks touch to be a completely polished player. He missed many open receivers last night not to mention the fact that he could of ran for a couple of 1st downs. I like Pennington over him so he better step it up or it's back to the bench.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:43AM

Henne does still have to work on when to run and when to pass, but I don't think he's passes were any harder than Elway's or Marino's. The WRs still need to adjust to that. He'll find his favorite targets eventually, and he DID show some touch on certain passes.

One thing I was was inconsistent blocking and breakdowns in protection by the O-Line. We had no running game against Atlanta's starting D. This reduced Henne's options.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: August 28, 2010 07:57AM

I hate to say it but Pennington is looking better to me. Better touch,better decision making, better mobility.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 28, 2010 08:19AM

All of that is true. However, Pennington's passes float out there, instead of zip. If we could put Henne's arm on Pennington, or Penny's head on Henne, we got us a HOFer. As it is, Pennington isn't enough of a threat in the passing game.

Rick

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:51PM

Henn defintely has a problem with throwing a catchable ball for his recievers at this point in his development.. He did make some nice passes last night to Harline, Ronnie Brown, and one to Marshall. He also had a horrible throw or 2 to Marhall and others..
Throwing a ball hard is not by itself a bad thing... It is hard to say anyone threw the ball harder then Marino did and that worked out well for him. Henne is just inconsistent with his speed and accuracy at this point and has no CHemistry with his recievers.
Pennington throws the ball soft and accurate. They are opposite's.
Pennington is the most polished of the two for sure, but Henne has the most upside..
Hopefully Henne starts to shine, if not, Pennington has to be given a chance for his 3rd comeback of the year award....

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 29, 2010 05:20AM

That throw to Davon Bess to me sums up what Henne is all about. He scrambles away from pressure only to throw a hard uncatchable ball to Bess. Any other half way decent QB makes that play. Hell Pennington makes the play, and keeps the drive alive. In any games the QB has to makes plays to keep drives alive when their seemingly aren't plays to be made. The great one can do it either by running or throwing on the run or whatever. Not Henne if the play breaks down the he does not know how to ad lib and keep plays alive. If you can't do that in this leauge then you'll only be a mediocre QB in this leauge period.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 29, 2010 06:01AM

The guy has 13 reg season starts and has played 3 preseason games as a starter. Forget the "Pennington starting" talk. It's not happening. There is no upside. He is a great bench/emergency guy in case of injury but has no future. He lost his first three games last year and looked like a shadow of his former self when everyone thought he would be much improved going into his second year on the same system.

There was a QB who started 10 games in his rookie year and had a 47.5 completion rate. He had 1663 yards, 7 TD's and 14 int's. In his second year with 14 starts he improved to 56.3 comp. % and threw for 2598 18 td's and 15 int's. Third year was better yardage wise with 3891 yards and 22 Td's but he also had 23 int's and 54% comp rate.

Henne had a 60% comp rate in his first year as a starter. That is the benchmark for success for a NFL QB. Not bad considering he had ABSOLUTELY NO number 1 WR.

The point is there is only 1 Dan Marino and NO QB comes in the league and sets the NFL on fire after only 13 starts. Give the guy a chance.

The other QB I was referring to is John Elway. Should Dan Reeves have benched him in favor of incumbent QB, Steve DeBerg (or b.u. Gary Kubiak)?????

After all Elway used to scramble away and throw a bullet to his WR's too and usually turn the ball over.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 29, 2010 06:29AM

Chad Henne is the real deal. There will be growing pains, its expected at that position.

Anyone who doesn't want to invest the time into this kid must have went to the Dave Wannstedt school of football.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 29, 2010 07:09AM

That INT at the end of the first half was horrible. He should have thrown the ball out of the end zone and taken the 3 point. That was bad decision making from the QB.

As for the rest of the game, I think he did OK. I thought the playcalling was ridiculous - running outside against Atlanta got us nowhere.

Posted by: estrella69phinfan ()
Date: September 01, 2010 04:22AM

Henne needs to show more consistency with his passes. Lots of potential hasn't developed as of today.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: September 01, 2010 06:23AM

Same story everytime, if the guy does great one game he is a beast if the guy has a bad game he needs to be benched cause he is not a good player.

I'll tell u this, of all the QB's that have come through here since Marino retired this is the only one I feel good about, I have no idea if he will be anygood but I'm willing to see what he's got.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 01, 2010 06:56AM

I still say he's better than any QB that we've had SINCE Marino, except maybe Pennington and Frerotte. That being said, he's young and has more upside than those 2 guys had. He's certainly the best QB we've DRAFTED since Marino...but that's not saying much since Wanny seemed to have an issue with drafting QB's high.

Regardless, I think he has the tools to lead us to a Superbowl. With a good O-Line, running game, and WR, there's no reason why Henne won't be successful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 06:58AM by montequi.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 01, 2010 07:17AM

ranger1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same story everytime, if the guy does great one
> game he is a beast if the guy has a bad game he
> needs to be benched cause he is not a good player.
>
>
> I'll tell u this, of all the QB's that have come
> through here since Marino retired this is the only
> one I feel good about, I have no idea if he will
> be anygood but I'm willing to see what he's got.

Of coarse we need to start him and see what he's got. I just hope Sprano has the guts to pull him and put in CP if he is doing bad. Then start him again the next game. That is done regularly throughout the league.
It was done with Elway. Elway was much like Henne with his hard passes and lack of touch. Henne will learn this as he becomes more comfortable with the game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.