HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland asked Dez if his mom was a hooker
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ireland issue WAY..WAY overblown!
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 28, 2010 04:27PM

socalphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know we live in an era of uber-political
> correctness, but this is rediculous! Anything to
> sell print and fuel boring talk shows.
> How else do you expect Ireland to find out first
> hand the truth.

ANSWER: Hire a private investigator??? Ask the neighbors?????

Because the truth WILL come out
> about his mother's background.
> In todays age, there is no more "personal"
> information when you become a multi-million dollar
> face of an NFL franchise.
> Not only does it reveal critical info about his
> associations and make-up, but it deciphers the
> truth from rumors.

Answer: Again, to what end or purpose???????

> How will Dez react to the not-so-polite fans when
> we roll through NY, Buffalo, and Boston every
> year. Will he meltdown or keep his composure?
> I can only imagine what he'll be hearing from the
> stands when he gets to Philly, DC, and NY. It will
> be interesting to see if Dez gets hooked by the
> fans or not.
>

RESPONSE: Oh, if it was a psychological test, then that's one thing but Ireland has denied that. So how can WE defend him on a basis that he himself rejects?

> I really like Jeff Ireland and what he brings to
> this organization.
> This whole BS story is being WAY
> over-sensationalized by the media, but what else
> is new.

RESPONSE: Everybody is entitled to his opinion but I think it's kind of hard to OVER-sensationalize asking someone if their mother was a whore.

Now, I don't see "too politically correct" angle some are trying to bring forth and attempting to equate this with over sensitivity to race or culture.

It has nothing to do with that!!! Your mother is the most precious thing to a person, normally. I know because mine passed when I was fou and I was raised by my schoolteacher father and later, a stepmother he married. But I never really knew mine. I always envied other kids having their mom.

So just think about your own mom. Think about how offensive that question is and moreso than that, think about if this guy was asking the question WITHOUT REALLY WANTING TO DO IT SO HE COULD TEST YOUR REACTION. Because it if was NOT to see how he would react to the Jets when they heckled him or see if he would not blow his stack, if it was just to find out his background, it was damn stupid and a damn stupid way to accomplish that goal.

If someone asked the question of one of the Rockefeller children, it still would be insensitive as hell.

Come on, we can be fans of a football team but you don't have to defend someone when they're dead wrong.

If it was a pysch test, that's one thing ..... but since he's denied that, it was just stupid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland asked Dez if his mom was a hooker
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 28, 2010 05:14PM

Honestly, I got to think if someone asked that I would probably laugh and say no. I would probably ask, "Why would you ask me that?" But in my mother's case, the answer was obvious. By the way, I always laugh when I see my students fight over your momma jokes.

Now in Dez's case, there was a rumor going around that she was. She definitely had some rap sheet and crack was mentioned on that. It isn't like we have never heard the term "crack whore". Maybe that where the rumor came from or maybe it isn't just a rumor.

Regardless, if I were investing millions into a kid and I want to uphold an image to my team, I would want to know the truth of the matter. As his employer, I wouldn't want a prostitute in any way affiliated with my team. Other issues can arise from that. And I would want to have first hand knowledge so I was prepared and informed to answer any questions that came my way regarding it. Maybe I ask so I know to be prepared to help. That would have to be fixed when you are in the public eye. Find out straight from the horse's mouth and move forward. An ounce of prevention can be a pound of cure. Unfortunately in this super sensitive society, the innoculation had a bad reaction and side effects.

What is probably the sickest situation about all this is how the reports by exposing this report have hurt and embarassed Dez more than anything. I am sure he would rather have had it swept under the carpet. Now he is going to be known for this and it will follow him. I will be interested to find out just how resilent this guy turns out to be. Will he become a great player? Will he crash and burn? He is not a Dolphin so I hope it is the later. It's nothing personal.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 28, 2010 05:14PM

Ireland should of never asked that question and i'm not defending him for it at all. But is it any worse then a coach, GM or player getting a DUI and actually risking lives? (or any arrest for that matter) NO. Is it any worse then a coach punching another coach and breaking his jaw? NO. Is it any worse then a coach flipping off opposing fans in public? NO. Is it any worse then what some of these guys probably say to each other in the locker room and on the field? NO. Should it be handled in-house? HELL YES. Ross should pull Jeff aside and let him know "this is not how I want my franchise percieved" and a sincere public apology mandated. This growing media storm is un-called for and un-warranted. On a side note; we'll probably never know the context it was asked in, but I highly doubt Jeff just blurted out "oh and by the way, was your mother a hooker?" It just wouldn't make sense, and if he asked that question to Dez that way, wouldn't you think he would of asked others just as insensitive questions? I wouldnt doubt (and this is just speculation) that he was asking a more broad up-bringing question, and Dez was either being coy or hinted about his mothers past. Either way he shouldn't of asked it. On another note, wouldn't you think that with the sh!t storm of bad pub Dez had coming into this draft, that he would of just kept this under wraps and not wanted all the attention? Kinda makes you wonder of whats to come with this kid.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: April 29, 2010 02:36AM

> I'm saying Ireland deserved to be punched in the mouth because this was a question intended to provoke a reaction, and he would have gotten one out of me.

Except that you don’t know the intention of the question. You’re assuming the intention.

> Gotta hand it to Dez...do you think Lawrence Taylor or Warren Sapp would have just taken that? Ireland is lucky he didn't have to make an emergency trip to the dentist.

And again, you really don’t know exactly what “that” is.

It’s interesting that Bryant doesn’t seem to have had an aggressive reaction. Why? Was he so weak? Perhaps Bryant wasn’t offended at all.

> > "Would you be in support of Bryant actually having murdered Ireland? You would consider it justified homicide right?"

> Not even going to address this...it's that stupid.

Yes, yes, … but if you really think that Bryant would have been justified in sending Ireland on an “emergency trip to the dentist”, then it stands to reason that you would have supported Bryant if he had killed Ireland. After all, you state that the attack would have been justified.

> You should be in law school, man. That is some serious word manipulation. And it's only a crime if you get caught, but I've been known to punch an asshole in the jaw when he deserves it. (Ask my roommate.)

Lol. But still, one can commit a crime and not “get caught.” And punching “an asshole in the jaw when he deserves it” is not exactly “repeatedly kicking him in the teeth once he was down.”

> It's actually all exaggeration, but you go ahead and get your kicks. (no pun intended)

> This story is picking up steam. Ross has now said he's going to deal with the matter personally. Sometimes people F up and have to pay the price no matter how good they might be at their job.

> Sorry, but you cannot justify in any way, shape, or form, asking a potential employee if their MOM was a hooker.

By all accounts, the word used was “prostitute.”

I know it was an exaggeration.

I’m not attempting to justify the question, just seeking prudence in the reaction.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: April 29, 2010 02:55AM

What if….

Ireland just wanted to know the truth. What if Ireland didn’t trust the media at all? He might have read things and he might have heard rumors, but who the Hell knew if any of those rumors were true? Ireland could have thought, well, I’ll just ask the young man to his face, man to man.

What if Ireland was trying to get at just what could have contributed to other reported behaviors exhibited by Bryant?

What if Ireland needed to assess what type of therapeutic assistance the Dolphins might need for someone like Bryant.

What if Ireland was trying to determine just how far Bryant has come?

What if Ireland was trying to get info that could be used as argument on Bryant’s behalf?

In a War Room setting, when someone says, Bryant’s character is at question, someone else could say, “yeah, but, some of that behavior is understandable, look the kid has had it rough. And look at what he’s overcome.”

And what if Ireland didn’t think it was such an effing Scarlet Letter big deal to be a prostitute anyway?

So she was a prostitute. Big effin Deal.

Oldest profession for a reason effin hypocrites.

How do you think Jeff Ireland chose the question?
Posted by: DolphanManiac ()
Date: April 28, 2010 09:34PM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 29, 2010 10:19AM

> DolphanManiac - rational question / logic background ... however.

You don't address and was wondering in your thinking this through if you can suggest why he would want to know the answer to such a line of questioning?

Thx

Date: April 29, 2010 03:29PM

Yeah, if I read Phinjim right, Dolphinmaniac you seem to be very logically laying out the "what" without laying out the "why."

Date: April 30, 2010 06:02AM

Right!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:09AM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:30AM

I noticed that this Silver guy says he's been covering pro football for 20 years. Has he? I didn't know, and I suspect most people didn't. Could be he was trying to make a name for himself with this non-story.

Rick

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:32AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 30, 2010 08:39AM

If the SI version is true, then that really shows what an immature moron Dez really is. You dont say "my dad was a pimp, and my mom worked for him" then get pissed and go public when someone asks "well was she a hooker?" I am so glad we steered clear of this guy.

Date: April 30, 2010 08:51AM

Date: April 30, 2010 09:16AM

Ireland says Bryant said it. Bryant denies it.

Obviously, if the conversation went that way then the question is far more excusable on the grounds, "What do you mean she worked for your day who you say was a pimp?"

Date: April 30, 2010 09:23AM

Date: April 30, 2010 09:27AM

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: April 30, 2010 09:40AM

Some news guy needs to ask Dez so how did the conversation start and end.
Pretty simple to me.

Date: April 30, 2010 09:47AM

Date: April 30, 2010 10:28AM

As stated ... Dez (or perhaps the writer Silver) has made Dez a your mamma target all season.

Date: April 30, 2010 11:47AM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 30, 2010 12:07PM

Dez's agent, Eugene Parker is very close friends with Bill Parcells. I'm starting to believe that this wasn't a planned question to be asked and that Ireland was led into it during the course of the conversation.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 30, 2010 12:36PM

The answer Dez should have given was...."my mom gave birth to a playmaker, thats all you need to know"

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.