HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland asked Dez if his mom was a hooker
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ireland asked Dez if his mom was a hooker
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:14AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland asked Dez if his mom was a hooker
Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:26AM

Hate to say it but we knew that the front office had no class before this. The way they treated Jason Taylor was one thing. But the manner in which they treated Zach Thomas is even worse.

Date: April 27, 2010 09:28AM

and asking a kid if his mom was a prostitute....why? EVEN IF THE ANSWER IS YES, you gonna take it out on the kid? Like he had something to do with it!

Totally unfair. Totally crossing the line. Stephen Ross better step in here and have a conversation with Jeff Ireland and straighten this all out.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:33AM

clearly they weren't asking the question bc they cared about the answer. they were asking to get a reaction. the article makes a good point--what is the acceptable reaction for a football player? did they want him to blow up at ireland (he didn't) or not?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:38AM

Date: April 27, 2010 09:39AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> clearly they weren't asking the question bc they
> cared about the answer. they were asking to get a
> reaction. the article makes a good point--what is
> the acceptable reaction for a football player? did
> they want him to blow up at ireland (he didn't) or
> not?

That isn't an acceptable question to ask someone you are considering for a job. Football player or not! And Ireland isn't the only one guilty of doing something like this, but his track record of treating people badly makes this incident stand out

Date: April 27, 2010 09:44AM

I don't have a problem with the enviorment Parcells has created, as long as you have the results ON THE FIELD to back it up.

Bill Belichick is a dick-head up in Boston. Treats the local media horribly. Acts like an a-hole to fellow coaches and is just a miserable person in general to the Pats office personal people. He can get away with it cause he has won them 3 rings. The local media doesn't care cause he wins and when you win you can get away with being a dick all the time.

Ireland/Parcells haven't won in Miami (granted only 2 full years) but you can't act this way when you can't back it up!

Date: April 27, 2010 09:44AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 27, 2010 09:45AM

Not buying the innuendo, and the article is most likely totally taken out of context.

I hate bush league reporting like that, and have no doubt that the author has twisted events and context

Date: April 27, 2010 09:52AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:

>
> Generally, I'd agree. But they do in depth
> background checks on these guys, along with
> psychological profiles.
>
> If, and I'm not saying they did, but IF their
> background check turned up information that she
> wasn't just a drug user/dealer, then they MIGHT
> have wanted clarification on the issue.
>
> Outside of a scenario like that I can't think of
> even a remotely justifiable reason to ask that
> question.

Fair enough. I just don't understand why you would ask it. Are you gonna hold it against him IF his mother was a prostitute? That is the insinuation. To say, "ah I really don't care what the answer is I want to see if I can get a rise out him." Well you can do that in other ways without esentially asking a question that is against the law! Any HR departement would tell you that. I mean, Mark Ingram the Alabama running back, you gonna take it out on him that his father is a criminal? HELL NO! One has nothing to do with the other! You gonna ask him about it to see if he explodes in an interview? I don't see what point it serves.

I mean there is something you could say to ANYONE to get them to explode, doesn't mean they will explode on the football field if its said to them. You have to take the context of the enviorment it is said in into account. I mean have we resorted to the "YO MAMMA is...(fill in the blank)" during a job interview? Players trash talk each others mothers all the time in sports, doesn't lead to a guy blowing his gasket and going nuts on the field of play.

Date: April 27, 2010 10:14AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:15AM

The writer nailed it with one word..."classless"!

I hope this article blows up and gets more attention. I don't like the way people are being treated and do not want that reputation for the Dolphins.

Maybe it will force a change in managements attitude.

Most of us have been fans since the 70's. They have been here a few years and need to restore some respectability. Winning isn't the only way you do that.

No need for that question whatsoever because the answer has no bearing on whether you draft him or not.

Dez should have answered with a question of his own about Ireland's wife, golf balls and garden hoses. See how he likes it.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:24AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:30AM

What do you expect from the former idiot kicker?

Against Rice in 1991, a 20.5 point underdog, he made a 58-yard field goal, then missed field goals of 43, 45, and 27 yards. Baylor lost the game by three points.

Douche bag.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 27, 2010 10:34AM

the question is stupid and unwise, but not illegal

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 27, 2010 10:36AM

Finshady Wrote:
> Dez Bryant's motherTheir are reports that Bryan
> t's mother is a lesbian perhaps that would of been
> a better question. I am glad we stay away from
> players with questionable pasts for the most part.
> I beleive their family history does matter as
> well as long as you ask the question respectfully.

How the hell does one ask that question "respectfully?"

Sir, if you don't mind my asking, how many Indigo Girls cds are in your mother's music collection? Does your mom wear comfortable shoes?

If this story is true, our FO is doing things very very wrong. Frankly I'm interested to see what the players' union is doing about this. That might shed some light as to the authenticity of this story.

Date: April 27, 2010 10:39AM

Posted by: slipstream ()
Date: April 27, 2010 12:04PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 27, 2010 12:22PM

"Bill Belichick is a dick-head up in Boston. Treats the local media horribly. Acts like an a-hole to fellow coaches and is just a miserable person in general to the Pats office personal people."

And he wears sleevless hoodies......total douchebag!

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: April 27, 2010 01:14PM

“Former idiot kicker?” “Douche bag?”

Really? Seriously? Jeff Ireland? Come on eesti, settle down, you and I both know we should thank our lucky stars for this guy. For all three of em.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 01:16PM

I am in no way condoning what Ireland did, but I will say that this type of off base questions are par for the course when it comes to these pre draft private interviews and x10 when they player has any character questions. Did you see the Gruden QB interviews, he was trying to rattle and upset the kids and see what they are made of all tv acceptable as well. IMO that is what these GM's and coaches do, I bet if there was a poll taken about all of the over the top questions asked of high draft pick players, Ireland would not be the only one put on blast. Did you guys hear when Gerald Mccoy told NFL network or ESPN a GM asked him if he like to wear gstring bikini underwear? I think theses guys become over the top with these psycological evaluations. Dez they were trying to upset him and see how he handles it, I can promise you one thing that many of CB's are going to call him and his mother worse when at the line of scrimmage. Still think it looks awful for Ireland, he needs to work on his PR. He does come across a bit pompous and arrogant.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 01:44PM

I read the article earlier today. When I started I was upset that Ireland would treat a potential player this way but the more I read the article the more it started to sound like a bash phins blog. No doubt the question was out of line but the article was a little out of line also.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: April 27, 2010 02:27PM

From www.profootballtalk.com

Jeff Ireland apologizes to Dez Bryant

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 27, 2010 5:32 PM ET
Well, this is a surprise.

Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland admits he was out of line when he asked Dez Bryant if Bryant's mother was a prostitute in a pre-draft interview.

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm consider drafting," Ireland said in a statement. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions. Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.

"I appreciate his acceptance of that apology and I told him I wished him well as he embarks on his NFL career."

On one hand, we're impressed Ireland has confronted the issue head on.

Then again, this apology never would have happened unless a story came out about it.

We'll give the Dolphins some credit. Whether Ireland was compelled to release this statement from above or not, it's better that the organization own up to the mistake and move on.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 27, 2010 02:28PM

Guys, any issue that speaks to the character of a player, his upbringing, family life, finances, manner of living, past, present and future, discipline, toughness, mental state, or infulences is a valid question. Especially with what's potentially riding on these decisions.

In my profession, we ask potential employees many such questions and crawl up their collective rear ends during back ground checks. We talk face to face with everyone that lives in their neghborhood, look up and talk to all of their previous employers, refrences, teachers, and listed friends. We ask about, and then look at, the internet sites they frequent, do credit checks, criminal history checks, check cell phone records, conduct physicals, psyhological exams, multiple face to face interviews, voice stress tests and much. much, more before you ever get hired...and thats for a $38,000.00 a year job. Some would say that this much stuff is not nescissary or prudent but even with all of these things in play prior to getting hired, knuckleheads do get through the process.

Some questions simply need to be asked even if they are not politically correct to ask.

We also don't know what the context of the actual question was or even how the original question was phrased.

BTW: I'm NOT defending anyone here but I'm also not saying that the question should not have been asked either...

The question was asked, thought better of, then an appology was issued...that's enough for me. If Dez didn't think it was a question worth answering then he has the right not comment on the matter.

Posted by: Dolfan1976 ()
Date: April 27, 2010 02:32PM

I have been in managment for over 15 years now and have conducted multiple interviews during that timeframe. By law I cannot ask any questions about race, ethnicity, or background. So I find this hard to understand how Ireland can get away with this. In my opinion I feel that Ross should fire him or prevent him from interacting with personel interviews ect. I think keeping him in this role hurts the organization in the long run if he continues to conduct the interviews. He may be good at scouting talent but obviously has poor personal interaction skills.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: April 27, 2010 03:01PM

“In my opinion I feel that Ross should fire him or prevent him from interacting with personel interviews ect.”

Lol. Too funny.

No really, hold that opinion, like, for the next five years or so. And post often, espousing that opinion. Please, please. Lol

Date: April 27, 2010 03:01PM

again, asking the question was not illegal

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: April 27, 2010 03:02PM

I don't see how anybody can defend Ireland.

Stop drinking the kool-aid.

If Belichick had asked this question you guys would be going on nonstop about how much of a dick he is.

Same thing applies here. Ireland is a dick, plain and simple. I credit Bryant for not decking him on the spot because I know I would have, followed by repeatedly kicking him in the teeth once he was down.

"Is your mom a prostitute?"

Just because he is employed by the team I root for doesn't give him a free pass in my book. I'm with Dolfan1976. I want to see punishment.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: April 27, 2010 03:08PM

Make no mistake. Ours isnt' the only organization asking difficult questions of these men. If I were about to hand out a multi-million dollar contract, I'd want to know everything about the person also. Even if it means hurting some feelings along the way.

As a fan, I like what our FO's doing. If they're not violating any laws or NFL rules, then so what!

These are grown men. If they don't like the way they're treated, give up their fortunes and get a real job like the rest of us.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 27, 2010 03:11PM

Dolfan1976: The question posed as far as we know had nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

It did however have quite a lot to do with his background and potential criminal associates...are you saying that you have no questions on your application or in the application process that refer in any way to an applicant's background, whatsoever? I'm assuming here that you don't conduct background investigations, or otherwise investigate potential employee's.

And is there not a section on your application that deals with race?, gender? etc?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.