Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          And the search for a field general continues...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: And the search for a field general continues...
Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:03PM

AMEN!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:03PM

Henne just doesnt have weapons like Chris Johnson, Gage& britt and the titans a porous secondary like ours. get him a big receiver and if we can run the ball this opens things up and forces the ball a bit too much. If we can add a few more pieces and shore up the D we will be better. I will take him over Sanchez. get us Edwards and that's a start

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:05PM

I wish people would stop harping on and on about players with superbowl rings because when you are talking about "individual players" that means NOTHING.

There has never in the history of the game been a championship won by a single player alone...without the other players on the field no one wins.

And if Marino was currently playing his career under the same rules as the current players he'd be even greater than he already is...the discussion while fun and all is completely moot.

Posted by: Miamidolp1 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:09PM

RW13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Manning played at least 10 games a year, every
> year, in doors with no weather conditions... How would Marino
> have faird on the same Colt team, playing indoors
> just about every week of the year?

Weak argument dude... Marino played 8 games every year in beautiful Miami, lol, it's not like you're comparing Brady who plays in New England snow or something. Most of the games I remember watching were in sunny 70-80 degree weather, except when we went to New England, Buffalo and New York for those 3 games. Don't forget, Peyton was AFC East for a while too, also having to go to New England, Buffalo and New York.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:17PM

That is not a weak argument. Manning has 2 Hall of Fame WR's he's throwing too....Harrison and Wayne (or atleast had Harrison), a possible hall of fame TE in Dallas Clark.

Are you serious right now? Dude, you have lost your freakin marbles.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:18PM

A&O, Duper and Clayton and Moore we pretty good too. As was Fryer. We had no defense or RB but our WRs were pretty good for a lot of Danny's career here.

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:19PM

Chad Henne is just a stop-gap QB. The reason he looks so good to Dolphin fans is because what they have been used to watching at the position for the past decade. Compared to Lemon, Rosenfels, Culpepper, Harrington, Fiedler, and Beck...Chad Henne looks great.

If any of you followed him at Michigan you should expect interceptions and poor decisions. The lack of touch should not be a suprise. Him forcing balls where he shouldn't should not be a suprise. Does he have a strong arm? Sure. So did Ryan Leaf.

Posted by: Miamidolp1 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:20PM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
> Chad Henne is just a stop-gap QB. The reason he
> looks so good to Dolphin fans is because what they
> have been used to watching at the position for the
> past decade. Compared to Lemon, Rosenfels,
> Culpepper, Harrington, Fiedler, and Beck...Chad
> Henne looks great.
>
> If any of you followed him at Michigan you should
> expect interceptions and poor decisions. The lack
> of touch should not be a suprise. Him forcing
> balls where he shouldn't should not be a suprise.
> Does he have a strong arm? Sure. So did Ryan Leaf.

Absolutely...

Date: December 20, 2009 12:22PM

Berekly, how many of those guys are going to Canton? Just wondering...

---------------------

Date: December 20, 2009 12:23PM

Yeah Hokie thinks we should have drafted Brady Quinn instead of the stop-gap QB, Chad Henne.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:24PM

Probably none of them, though Clayton and Duper I'd say are just a notch below HOF worthy. They were still pretty great though--and if they had a lesser QB throwing to them they'd be only about half as good, I think you can say the same about Harrison also

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:25PM

A & O you sure love to mention Brady Quinn's name. Never said that I was a fan, but you seem to have an infatuation with him. And yes, I think we should have drafted Matt Ryan instead of the stop-gap Henne.

Posted by: finman34 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 12:27PM

Question here.

If we win out and New England loses to Jax and the Texans, Do we still win the tie breaker. This may sound stupid but I dont think it is to far out of the box for New England to lose those games. They did beat a Bills team today but not by much and the signs of them imploding are still there. Maybe not but what do you guy's think?

Date: December 20, 2009 12:30PM

Im not sure Berk, Harrison is an all time great. Manning throwing to him or not, in his prime he was one of the greatest.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 20, 2009 03:25PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 21, 2009 02:43AM

Elway and Marino threw their share of INTs in their first seasons starting. Strong-armed QBs have a habit of forcing balls, and sometimes those get picked. QBs like Pennington or Bernie Kosar don't typically do that, which is why those 2 guys had such good TD/Int ratios. Problem is, neither of them made it to a Superbowl, and Kosar was beaten by Elway TWICE.

Henne has the intangible of never getting rattled, which is why he has brought us back in the 4th quarter a number of times. How many times did any of the other post-Marino QBs do that? Henne's going to be a very good QB. Will he be a HoFer like Marino? I'm not ready to put that level of expectation on him, but I'd be happy with him being as good as Phil Simms.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 21, 2009 04:40AM

This thread started with a thud and comparisons to marino make it even dumber.

1. Henne is doing great!. He is young and made a few mistakes today.

Guess what. So did Marino in his first year.

2. Comparing a rookie with marino's mature and storied career is not only unfair but doesn't (to me) reflect much fan insight or understanding of the game.

Does this kid have awesome wide receiver weapons? No, not even close.

Is he doing really realy well with what he has and with limit experience? Damn right he is

3. Sorry if some can't get over the fact we lost and are pretty much out of the playoffs ... but we had a lot of chances other than yesterday to get there.

Start with the 0-3 start of the season when Henne wasn't even playing.

Bottom line ... this kid is a keeper and i believe it to be moronic to throw the baby ourt with the bath water with such suggestions.

I have been extremely impressed with the maturity Henne has shown. And no I do not accept losing, I just have a little more respect for what it takes for a "field general" to develop in his first playing year

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 21, 2009 06:02AM

Guys, I just love to read posts like this.

This is the big problem with the NFL. Every year there are rule changes. You really can't compare players from one time era to another.

How would Brady and Manning, or for that matter Marino fair during the 60s or 70s when the bump and run was allowed all down the field? How would they fair when the offensive line could not extend their arms to block let alone use their hands? Would their stats be better than Namath, Star, Gabrial, Unitas and the like?

You can't tell or even come close. So give it up. They were all great QBs. Leave it at that.

BTW, if the Phins had the kind of Defense that the Bears, Cowboys, 49ers or many other teams had, Marino would have at least 2 or 3 rings. I think that is something we can all agree on.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: December 21, 2009 08:38AM

"This is the big problem with the NFL. Every year there are rule changes. You really can't compare players from one time era to another."

PREACH IT, BRUTHA!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: December 21, 2009 09:00AM

I'm not one to criticize the opinions of others although there are many here that will do just that. But why, after a couple bad games (Buff and Tenn) would you think that this guy doesn't have what it takes to become a top eschelon QB in this league?

If Henne has anything going for him, it's the fact that he WILL be a leader on the field. That was clear in yesterday's game after three turnovers that resulted in missed scoring opportunities. A lot of QB's in the league would not have been able to overcome that fact in itself. This guy was able to put the INT's behind him and keep moving the ball down the field. Yes, there was another missed INT on the last scoring drive in regulation but, even still, he was able to get the ball in the endzone.

Honestly, the jury is still out on this guy. He's prone to throwing INT's, yes. Favre's thrown more INT's than anyone ever but he's also thrown more TD's than anyone ever. Henne can't throw a deep ball or any ball with touch yet. Can that be learned? Yes. There's a ton of potential in this guy. Give him his due process before passing judgement.

He's 7-4 in his first 11 games as a starter. Pretty good IMO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 09:02AM by GBOFinFan.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 21, 2009 09:39AM

I think miamidolp1 is right maybe we should trade henne to the raiders and get russle, or maybe he thinks we should go after quinn, surely these guys would make him happier...

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: December 21, 2009 10:05AM

It is obvious most of you who are "surprised" by these interceptions have never watched Henne play while he was at Michigan.

He makes some bone-headed plays but the guy is legit, trust me...

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 21, 2009 10:16AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
> He's 7-4 in his first 11 games as a starter.
> Pretty good IMO!

And how many of those wins were 4th-quarter comebacks? Consider one of the losses counts as well. This guy is starting to remind me of Elway..without the scrambling.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 21, 2009 11:28AM

finman34 Wrote:
> Question here.
>
> If we win out and New England loses to Jax and the
> Texans, Do we still win the tie breaker. This may
> sound stupid but I dont think it is to far out of
> the box for New England to lose those games. They
> did beat a Bills team today but not by much and
> the signs of them imploding are still there. Maybe
> not but what do you guy's think?

RESPONSE: For a more detailed discussion, read my threat 'NE v. Jags-It's complicated.'

The answer is YES.

We would, assuming no other losses on our part, have split on head to head, then it would move to division and we would both be 4-2, then it would move to conference record with us at 7-5 and them at 6-6. We would win by that tiebreaker.

HOWEVER.......... That NE would lose to HOUSTON, as they would have to, is a Loooooooooooooooooooooog Shot.

Some might argue that we should not pass up the chance for NE to do in the Jags and enhance our playoff chances rather than rooting for A NEW ENGLAND WIN which would really do us no good unless followed up by a loss by them to HOUSTON.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: December 21, 2009 11:34AM

Is this a serious conversation?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 21, 2009 11:55AM

Why not discuss playoff possibilities, Ranger. Do you think we are so out of it?

Posted by: angryseas ()
Date: December 21, 2009 01:25PM

i think he was more refering to the title...thread has gotten a bit sidetracked

Date: December 21, 2009 07:17PM

"Weak argument dude... Marino played 8 games every year in beautiful Miami, lol, it's not like you're comparing Brady who plays in New England snow or something. Most of the games I remember watching were in sunny 70-80 degree weather, except when we went to New England, Buffalo and New York for those 3 games. Don't forget, Peyton was AFC East for a while too, also having to go to New England, Buffalo and New York."

Marino played 8 games a year in humid Miami. With at least 1 game having a down poor or poor field conditions. Not to mention this thing called wind! This is the first year in a long time that miami has not had to play in bad conditions. Out of a 16 game schedule Marino would have to play in foul weather 5-6 times. Manning was in doors for all 8 of his home games and Houston has a retractable roof, so that is 9 games a year in perfect conditions. If they happen to get the Saints or Lions on their schedule he gets into double digits. Playing out doors makes a huge difference any way you slice it.

Date: December 21, 2009 07:18PM

Don't forget about the different rules that manning has as well!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 22, 2009 03:02AM

Henne has a great arm, is tough as nails (remember him playing through injuries at Michigan), and has leadership skills. We haven't had that combo since Dan retired. This is his first year starting. There are going to be road bumps along the way. Just like a young pitcher learning to pitch in the big leagues, young QBs need to take their lumps. It's the only way they learn. And for those who did follow Henne at Michigan, you can see that he has improved in certain areas (like holding on to the ball too long and not using touch on intermediate passes). He has certainly not perfected them, but he is better at them than he was at Michigan. Think about the Jets comeback when he floated that pass to Camarillo down the left sideline on 3rd and 5 against an all out blitz. Henne could not have made that throw at Michigan. He has a ways to go, but he is getting there.

You also cannot underestimate the lack of weapons he has at his disposal. Ted Ginn runs a 4.2 but can't get off the jam and can't catch. Davone Bess went undrafted out of Hawaii after running a 4.68 at the combine. Greg Camarillo ran a 4.6 coming out of Stanford, where he caught less than 50 passes in his career. And he seems less explosive after the ACL injury. Brian Hartline is a rookie still learning the offense and his technique. He ran a 4.57 at the combine, so he's no burner either. This is a very weak group of WR.

You look at Marino's success as a rookie, and almost everyone else pales in comparison. That's just not going to happen for most first time starters. Look at what Marino had to work with. He began with an o-line that featured HOFer Dwight Stephenson, HOF candidate Bob Keuchenberg, multi Pro Bowl Ed Newman, and two solid tackles in Jon Giesler and Eric Laakso. Marino was rarely pressured. The 2009 team is allowing way too much pressure up the middle, which is causing a number of Henne's high throws. For pass catching talent, Marino had Mark Duper, Nat Moore, Mark Clayton, Jimmy Cefalo, Bruce Hardy, Joe Rose, and Tony Nathan. All of those guys were tremendous assets in the passing game.Henne has no weapons of that caliber, although Hartline could be as a good as Cefalo.

For what he has to work with, and for what experience he has, Henne is doing just fine. We don't need to be looking to replace him. Instead, we need to be looking for guys who can help him become a better player.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.