HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Breakdown of the Eagles Trade
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Breakdown of the Eagles Trade
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 28, 2016 06:32AM

This trade has been discussed a lot, and I keep hearing reports from Dolphins management saying that the trade gave us 3 starters instead of 1 starter (pick 8). I find that to be very flawed thinking, because it fails to take into consideration the salary cap implications of the trade. So what are the implications and what could we have done instead?

We gave up:
2016 #8 overall

In return we got:
2016 #13 overall
Byron Maxwell
Kiki Alonso

Here are the cap numbers
Maxwell
2016: $8.5 million
2017: $8.5 million
From 2018 to 2020 those numbers swell to over $10 million per year, which means he will either be cut or restructured.

Alonso
2016: $991,418
2017: UFA

Net result of the trade:
2016 pick 13
Maxwell for 2 years at $8.5 million
Alonso for 1 year at just under $1 million

What could Plan B have been? Let's suppose we hung onto pick 8 and used the big money we are spending on Maxwell to target other players in Free Agency. What could have been the result? I'll pick two FA players that went in our price range.

2016 pick 8
Casey Hayward for 3 years at $5.2 million per year (or a similar player)
Jerrell Freeman for 3 years at $4 million per year (or a similar player)

Benefits of Plan A
We get 3 starters
The players fit the system according to Dolphins management
We were able to acquire players via trade, rather than the uncertainty of trying to acquire free agents

Benefits of Plan B:
We get 3 starters
We have a higher draft pick in round 1 (this is huge)
We have a good CB for 3 years instead of 2
We have a good LB for 3 years instead of 1

Sorry, but I like plan B. Plan A seems to stink of one or more of the following:
A) inexperienced decision makers
B ) laziness (let's just get 3 players in one move rather than work to get players at the right price)
C) lack of confidence in being able to sign free agents
D) a little bit of all 3

If Alonso is the diamond in the rough in this trade, let's remember that he is an UFA after 2016, so if he performs well in 2016 he will expect a huge raise in 2017. That factor makes plan B even more attractive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 06:33AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breakdown of the Eagles Trade
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 28, 2016 07:28AM

ILB's are not a "break the bank" type of signing. Even if Alonso makes the PB in 2016, we can re-sign him for small money. The big ILB signing this year was Trevathon. He signed for $6.1M per year.

It also provides motivation for another one of our prospects to get his ass into camp and perform. Dion Jordan is one of his best friends and former roommate.

That's also motivation for Alonso to re-sign with Miami.

Alonso is also a true 4-3 MLB as opposed to the smaller 3-4 ILBer. I for one, am glad we didn't go after those 3-4 guys and try to convert them like Ellerbe. Trevathon and Freeman are both undersized. Finding a true MLB is next to impossible. There is a huge shortage for three-down, stud 4-3 MLB'ers. There is Keuchley and ?????

As far as Maxwell, it's a gamble. If it doesn't work then we are stuck for two years. If it does, we get a younger starting CB for relatively small money for two years with the option to extend.

I was originally not happy because I think there are only 6 non QB picks worthy of the spot but after more reflection, I am ok with it since the only elite players that fit Miami (Ramsey and Jack) were likely to be long gone anyway. In all actuality, the trade down probably cost us Ezekiel Elliott, who could actually go to Philly.

Moving from 8 to 13 was my biggest complaint but look at the history of the picks....

In 2013/2014 with the 13th pick, the Rams and Jets were able to get Aaron Donald and Sheldon Richardson.

In 2013/2014, with the 8th pick, the Browns and Rams got Justin Gilbert and Tavon Austin.

The Fox mock has Elliott going at 8 and Jack Conklin going to Miami at 13. Most of the others have us taking a DE or CB who turn out to be Lawson/Dodd or Hargreaves.

I would love to land a tough, hard-nosed guy like Conklin. Gase wants to toughen up the trenches and this guy would be a good start. He can play G or T.

So forget the cap. We are fine there. It basically comes to...

option A. Ezekiel Elliott

option B. Jack Conklin, Kiko Alonso & Byron Maxwell

It came out this week that Dan Campbell was not a fan of Lamar Miller. He said Ajayi was the better back so...

We can always sign a guy like Arian Foster to form a committee. I'd rather fix the line FIRST to help whoever the next RB turns out to be and draft someone in the 4th round. Fix the line and the back is less important.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 28, 2016 07:36AM

Freeman is 3 inches shorter, but actually a bit heavier than Alonso, who is very thin for an ILB.

Foster? Another hurt, old guy.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 28, 2016 10:59AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Freeman is 3 inches shorter, but actually a bit
> heavier than Alonso, who is very thin for an ILB.
>
> Foster? Another hurt, old guy.

If Foster is healthy, he is a good RB, but as you said, he is getting up in age and has had a lot of injuries. I read where he only had one 16-game season in his career.

Even if Miami signs him, they will still draft a RB, as I am sure (at least I hope) that our FO knows Foster probably won't last, so they have to have a backup plan.

If they do draft a RB (not at 13, however), then if Foster goes down, they have someone (besides Ajayi) that can step in.

BTW, Foster should come cheap; if he doesn't, then don't sign him.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 28, 2016 03:05PM

Just kicking tires. Foster couldn't pass a physical at this time. Invite him to camp to compete for a roster spot.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 28, 2016 08:50PM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 29, 2016 12:46AM

I'm not an over-the-top proponent of the trade but I wasn't troubled by it. While I'm a huge Phins fan, I don't know the rest of the league nearly as well. So, this is a pretty shallow thing to say, but I had definitely heard of Maxwell and Alonso in previous years...literally had to google both of the players you mentioned as Plan B. Doesn't mean they're not good...just not known to me.

I think that there's a decent chance that Philly has done what I think the Phins have been guilty of in the past - throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I think there's a decent chance, therefore, that we get to benefit from someone else doing that for once.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.