HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Running Back Quandry
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Running Back Quandry
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 18, 2016 11:51AM

Seems Miami is having a difficult time trying to get a starter at running back. Not much left in FA. Its been suggested (NFL Network) that maybe A. Foster would be a good short term prospect. I would say OK to that but only if he comes on the cheap with incentives.

At the 13th spot in the draft, it is very possible E. Elliot will be there. Should Miami grab him? Maybe wait until the second round when a "good" running back will be there (Henry?).

Despite what Miami has done through FA/trade, there are still a lot of holes to fill and those that have been signed, who knows if they will work out?

Since Miami has no (real) shot at the playoffs this year, maybe take a chance on LB Jalen Smith (ND)? This guy was at the top of everyone's list until he hurt his knee. Maybe he will be another Willis Magahee?(Sp). Would you guys take a chance on him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running Back Quandry
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 18, 2016 12:45PM

I would pass on Smith. Same injury with nerve damage that ended Marcus Lattimore's career.

I think it's highly unlikely Elliott falls out of the top 10, let alone makes it to 13. There are only about 6 (non Qcool smiley elite players in this draft and he is one of them. He would have to get passed Dallas, Baltimore, Philly, NYG, Chicago and possibly NOLA.

We will likely have to settle for a 3rd or 4th rounder in the draft.

Devontae Booker, Kenneth Dixon, C.J. Prosise, Jordan Howard, etc.

and I think we have as good a shot at the playoffs as we've had in the past 6 years.

I could see a late season signing at RB. I wonder if Knowshon is healed up?????

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 18, 2016 01:16PM

Running backs are basically a dime a dozen anymore, Miller was never a consistent game changer IMO, not overpaying for him is the least of my worries this offseason, not signing a veteran guard is another thing......

Back on topic, see what you get in the draft and back fill with a cheap veteran if needed after training camp cuts start happening

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 18, 2016 01:47PM

Breaking news is, we are strongly thinking about drafting Elliott in the first round.

Failing that, I'd like to see us grab this guy in the 3rd or 4th;

C.J. Prosise, Notre Dame

He's a bit raw (Converted Safety) but he looks like he may have the goods with a bit of work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2016 01:50PM by Ken.

Date: March 19, 2016 04:41AM

This is a running back deep draft. Picking one in the first round would be stupid. We pick at 13. The offense line is our biggest need. No real 1st rounders at guard or tackle. We should trade down, grab another 2 or 3rd and pick multiple Olineman. Grab best player available, hopefully at an area of need with the lower 1st rounder.

Derrick Henry is a big 3rd down move the chain type back that should be available in the late 1st round, possibly 2nd.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 19, 2016 06:33AM

LOL. That's sort of like saying, we are seriously considering Jalen Ramsey or Laremy Tunsil....

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 19, 2016 08:02AM

If Elliot is available at #13 then I think we should take him. He is a very talented every down running back. He has excellent size and athleticism. He can block, catch and make plays with the ball in his hands. In Gase's system this guy could be a big addition to this football team.

I know people say running backs are dime a dozen, but look at the impact that Todd Gurly had on the Rams. Granted they still had a losing season and missed out on the play offs, but that kid was a game changer for them. He missed three games and still put up over a thousand yards, 10 TDs, and averaged 4.8 YPC. Now Elliot is not Gurley, but he's still classed as a better prospect than Melvin Gordon who the Chargers traded up to take, and the reason Gordon struggled last season was because four fifths of their starting O-Line was injured last season. If their starting O-Line had stayed healthy, Gordon could have been another thousand yard rusher and had a big impact on their team.

That said, RBs are available on the second and third days, though when you look at last season's crop of running backs how many truly stepped out and became every down running backs?

TJ Yeldon (2nd round) showed some flashes, but not enough because they signed Ivory in free agency.

David Johnson (3rd round) broke out towards the end of the season and showed he could be a special back when Chris Johnson went down injured.

Jeremy Langford (4th round) showed flashes of being able to handle the role as a lead running back when Forte was out injured.

But outside of those three guys, the rest were either wildly inconsistent (Ameer and Jones), seen as third down backs, or pass catching running backs (Duke Johnson). I guess Ajayi was in a restricted role so perhaps he could have shown greater value if given more carries, but ultimately there is always a risk that some mid to late round running backs aren't as complete or as talented as some of the second and first round running backs. Granted there are always the exceptions, last season Chris Ivory (undrafted), Latavius Murray (6th round), Devonta Freeman (4th round), and Frank Gore (3rd round) finished in the top ten rushers, the highest being Chris Ivory who ranked fourth, but the rest were all first round picks. So while the position has been devalued financially, there is no doubt that first and second round running backs still have a lot of value in this league, and Elliot has the ability to be a special running back on the right team. Fingers crossed that turns out to be us.

Date: March 19, 2016 10:09PM

Sorry Mike. We have too many other needs. We have 2 pretty good backs on the rooster, this is a deep draft for RBs.....We need to trade down and fill holes, create depth . Our Oline should be the biggest Priority. Trade down , take a handful in the later rounds. The backs we have now would also benefit greatly from a renewed line. The whole offense gets better.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 19, 2016 11:37PM

First issue with trading down is there has to be a team willing to trade up for our #13 pick and give us enough extra picks to warrant trading down. Is there a team that will want to move up from late in the round? Perhaps, but we can't bet anything on that happening.

As for the "we have too many holes to draft a RB". I agree on the fact we have a lot of holes to address, but if Elliot is the best player available at #13 - and arguably he would be - then if we adhere to the BPA drafting principal he gets picked. Plus, as a need - which his position is - we would be filling a need. His selection would be the best of both worlds.

In regards to O-Line, that can be addressed on day two or day three. We need guards, not tackles, and they can be acquired outside the first round. Look at Trai Turner with the Panthers, or Gabe Jackson of the Raiders, two of the best young guards in the league - third round picks. This is a decent class with a deep enough O-Line group to address the position outside the first round.

I don't mind drafting a RB outside the first round if there is a better player available at #13 than Elliot, but if there isn't a better player and the ones available would be a reach, then that's a wasted pick. We need to take the best player and that will help us build this team up. That's me, I think we need to get the BPA where possible with each pick. And at #13 it is hard to argue that Elliot wouldn't be the best player unless one of the top five or so prospects fall.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 05:59PM

Why not Alfred Morris?

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 21, 2016 06:21PM

I would draft Eliott or Henry at 13. I think it would be great for the team to have an elite back, not just a dime a dozen back. Elliott is elite because he is a complete back, kinda like what Zach Martin was as a guard coming out, and Henry is just an explosive freak, elite athlete at 6-3 250. I prefer Henry. That would really be a great addition to Parker and Landry on offense.

On defense in turn, they could select Ragland and hedge their risk against Kiko's reinjury. Again, we need more elite back 7. Ragland is a great thumper but not good in coverage and not very fast in sideline pursuit. That is the reason I would pass on Ragland at 13.

I would however target Joshua Perry in the second as olb because his tape is great and his combine numbers are great, reaffirming the tape. With Jenkins, Kiko and Perry we should be okat at lb.

In later rounds 3 and down, they could select a physical corner like Denzel McDaniel, a QB like Sudfeld, a distinguished kicker like Aquayo, to improve some select spots on the roster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 06:22PM by thegreathoo.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 23, 2016 03:29AM

I like Ragland brings the total package, hate Perry he is not a game changer, arm tackler. I like the other OSU lb better (Lee). Im a big Sudfeld fan and Aquayo is on my list for a 7th rnd pick.

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: March 24, 2016 06:09PM

So, does nobody else have a problem with the reports that our front office thought that Anderson was a BETTER back than Miller?

Forget everything else, just that fact alone is mind blowing.

And, if they did truly think he was a better back, why didn't they make him the same offer they made Miller that maybe Denver wouldn't have matched?

I'm fine with Elliot at 13, but I think he'll be gone.

Then again, I remember a time when top running backs were 6'1, 220ish and ran 4.38s. Like Fred Taylor and Edgerrin James. Those were special backs. The reason 1st round backs are busts is because they just don't really have the size/speed ratio lately. Even Jamal Lewis had that same ratio, although he lacked running back instincts and an ability to catch the football.

Date: March 28, 2016 07:29AM

Dan Campbell thought Ajayi was a better back than Miller.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 28, 2016 11:00AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan Campbell thought Ajayi was a better back than
> Miller.

And as had been the pattern of Miami's coaches, didn't play him much.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 28, 2016 11:37AM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JoeFootball Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dan Campbell thought Ajayi was a better back
> than
> > Miller.
>
> **************************************************
> ******
>
> And as had been the pattern of Miami's coaches,
> didn't play him much.

Because we had miller and miller did very well last year....Unless he gets injured, they will play ajayi a lot this year.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 28, 2016 11:47AM

ajayi has a lot of talent..maybe more than miller and thats saying something...but whats scares me is his health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.