HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pick 14
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Pick 14
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: February 05, 2015 03:56AM

I am pretty happy of the talent that should be available this year at 14. Usually, it seems we are just outside the boundaries of the player we have a great need for....

For once, we have a chance (and choice) to fill one of several needs.

It looks like a pretty deep draft and especially deep at WR and pass rusher.

Players we probably have no shot at....

Winston, Mariota, Leonard Williams, Randy Gregory, Dante Fowler, Shane Ray

Top talent we have a decent shot at for pick 14....

Kevin White, Amari Cooper, Devante Parker, Dan Shelton, Andrus Peat, La'el Collins, Trae Waynes, Malcomb Brown, Brandon Scherff

I would be happy with any of those players and wouldn't be terribly upset with Melvin Gordan but he almost falls under....

Top talent that I don't think fits the Dolphins or fills the biggest need....

Shaq Thompson, Vic Beasley, Bud Dupree, Landon Collins, Ereck Flowers

Players I think may be a reach at 14...

Todd Gurley, Bernardrick McKinney, TJ Clemmings, Eddie Goldman, Denzel Perryman, Sammie Coates, PJ Williams

Wildcard pick....Dorial Beckham-Green. I think he is a reach at 14 at this point only because of off field issues BUT he is becoming one of my favorite players. Could be the best WR in the draft and a great fit for what we need as a WR. Thanks to one of the other posters for bringing him to my attention. Either Hoo or JSM. Can't remember which.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:57AM by JoeFootball.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pick 14
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: February 06, 2015 08:16AM

Kevin White, Amari Cooper and Devante Parker are expected to be gone before our pick. Your wildcard pick of Dorial Beckham-Green is spot on. I watched his game film and he reminds me of Randy Moss. I banged the table for Moss despite his off the field issues and now I am banging the table for Beckham-Green. Draft him and hire a mentor. He has too much potential to let him slide to the Patriots.

I also watched Bernardrick McKinney. He didn't impress me at all. Every once in a while he had a big hit, but he looked lost and was terrible in coverage. He just didn't look like a football player to me. Give him a watch and see if you don't come to the same conclusion.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 06, 2015 08:34AM

Date: February 06, 2015 08:39AM

We would have a number one receiver and number two in landry....

Young talent for tannehill to grow up with..

Hes already got good chemistry with landry.

Date: February 06, 2015 08:46AM

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: February 06, 2015 09:46AM

I mentioned him and Gurley as one of the two must draft or get fired immediately picks for Hickey, several weeks back. But I've since cooled off and think he is undraftable for off the field staff. You can't hire a guy like that with guaranteed money.

Moreover, I've cooled off on Gurley as well.

A player drafted, hired for guaranteed money, must be a starter or immediate backup, and no issues. Phins have plenty of areas they can spend the pick wisely and not commit to a player with issues or a position that is already solid because it is two deep--there is a good backup.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 06, 2015 01:44PM

If we draft a WR in the 1st rd, instead of an Oline, DT, MLB, or CB, I am going to be extremely puzzled... We had holes at all 4 of those above mentioned positions last year, we didn't have a hole at WR... I don't get it....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 06, 2015 03:07PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we draft a WR in the 1st rd, instead of an
> Oline, DT, MLB, or CB, I am going to be extremely
> puzzled... We had holes at all 4 of those above
> mentioned positions last year, we didn't have a
> hole at WR... I don't get it....

Everyone suggesting we draft a WR in the 1st round is saying so in anticipation of our parting ways with Wallace or Hartline, Gibson and Matthews.

If we do that, and we will for a variety of reasons, WR is a MAJOR need.

We need to bring in at least two guys in the draft.

I'm ok with the right Olineman or DT in the first round, but I'd prefer to address those spots in free agency.

Date: February 06, 2015 03:42PM

I don't buy that we are going to cut Wallace and eat roughly ten million in dead money to save 2.5 million, just next year... If we do that, we are morons... So we trade him away? For what? And who is going to take on that contract? There is still a decent amount of money left on that deal even after next year.... But 2016 would make a lot more sense as the time to part ways if that is what we want to do.. Then you are talking about a cost of 6.6 dead money over 2 years with a cap savings of over twenty million during those 2 years... So in my book Wallace stays a Phin barring something miraculous or extremely foolish for at least another year.. SO that leaves Landry and Wallace, at the very least in my book... We don't draft a WR in the 1st rd.... We have much bigger needs.. So to cut Wallace with the above mentioned issues only to draft a WR in the 1st rd with all of the other holes, every single person in our front office should be fired on the spot...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 06, 2015 05:33PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I don't buy that we are going to cut Wallace and
> eat roughly ten million in dead money to save 2.5
> million, just next year... If we do that, we are
> morons... So we trade him away? For what? And who
> is going to take on that contract? There is still
> a decent amount of money left on that deal even
> after next year.... But 2016 would make a lot more
> sense as the time to part ways if that is what we
> want to do.. Then you are talking about a cost of
> 6.6 dead money over 2 years with a cap savings of
> over twenty million during those 2 years... So in
> my book Wallace stays a Phin barring something
> miraculous or extremely foolish for at least
> another year.. SO that leaves Landry and Wallace,
> at the very least in my book... We don't draft a
> WR in the 1st rd.... We have much bigger needs..
> So to cut Wallace with the above mentioned issues
> only to draft a WR in the 1st rd with all of the
> other holes, every single person in our front
> office should be fired on the spot...

I agree. It doesn't make financial sense to dump wallace now. We are much better waiting until next year.

But his circumstances are extreme. If his teammates lineup against him then we really don't have a choice.

But lests assume that we keep Wallace.

We aren't paying Hartline $7.5m to be the 3rd or 4th wr.

He's gone. Gibson is probably gone. Matthews is definitely toast.

That leaves us Wallace, Landry and Hazel. We need two impact wr's if all that happens. One who plays outside so Landry can stay in the slot where he's most effective and another who has big upside.

I don't know if we are going to throw big bucks at a guy like Torrey Smith or Randal Cobb if they make it to free agency. I think its more likely we spend 2 of our first 3 or 4 picks on WR's who will be able to play immediately. One as a starter and another as the 4th guy.

Date: February 07, 2015 03:13AM

If we keep one of the 3, Hartline, Gibson or Mathews, then we have 3 decent WR's. We could pick up a 4th as you suggest in FA or later in the draft... I guess it all comes down to how much money we can put together for FAs and what needs we are able to fill. We just have so many holes as I mentioned above... I don't see WR as the need and priority everyone else does.. To me we didn't have enough balls to go around last year. With almost all ball catchers having their stats shrink from Clay, to Hartline, to Gibson, To Mathews...

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 07, 2015 03:59AM

I agree about not cutting Wallace this year Crowder, but I'm also OK with drafting his replacement early this coming draft. I would love to get one of the "big 3" at #14

Date: February 07, 2015 05:02AM

I don't know a lot about the big 3 WRs. My issues is that if we don't stop the run MLB/DT, find a healthy #2 CB and better protect Tannehill, it really doesn't matter what WRs we have on the roster.. We will remain mediocre... Our offense made a huge jump in points per game scored this year from last year, yet our record didn't improve... Same will be said again next year if we don't solve the above mentioned issues over drafting a WR in the 1st rd... We don't have a lot of cap room, so solving all of those issues in FAs is going to be tough... This is not a good year to draft what I would consider a luxury in the first rd... That being said, if we are just going to burn next year, get our HC and GM fired, by all means draft a WR in the 1st rd for the long term aspect of it... If you think you got the next Calvin Johnson then don't pass him up... But I have questions that there are 3 guys of that caliber with one sticking around till we pick at 14...

Nietzsche

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 07, 2015 06:38AM

Problem is, even though we made a big jump in points scored last season, we need a similar increase again this year. We have to average 26-30 points per game to play with the big boys week in and week out. A DT, CB or LB is not going to make that happen as much as we really need those positions shored up, they just won't.

I don't care whether we draft a WR in the first or second but we need to draft one and they guy MUST be big and fast. Hartline should be gone, Gibson isn't helping us due to injuries and Mathews is not ever going to be a game changer.

Add a true game changing WR to what we already have in Wallace, Landry, Clay, and Simms and watch the passing offense make the leap to elite, and the running game vault into the top 10.

Date: February 07, 2015 06:39AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> If we keep one of the 3, Hartline, Gibson or
> Mathews, then we have 3 decent WR's. We could
> pick up a 4th as you suggest in FA or later in the
> draft... I guess it all comes down to how much
> money we can put together for FAs and what needs
> we are able to fill. We just have so many holes as
> I mentioned above... I don't see WR as the need
> and priority everyone else does.. To me we didn't
> have enough balls to go around last year. With
> almost all ball catchers having their stats shrink
> from Clay, to Hartline, to Gibson, To Mathews...

Don't just consider next years roster. Wallace may stay for this year because there's little cap benefit to cutting him and he's the one wr in the group of possible cuts who has the biggest impact on our offense just by being on the field.

Wallace will be gone after next year.

We are better off drafting his replacement now so he's at full speed when we cut ties with Wallace.

We need 5 or 6 wr's.

We ran out of them at the end of the year and it cost us the Jets game.

This is a deep wr draft class, just like last year.

I'd prefer to address this issue now so that there is a core group of 3 or 4 guys in place when we get rid of Wallace after this season.

But that's just my preference. I want to fix the offense now. then fill as needed over the next year or two as we fix the defense.

Date: February 07, 2015 06:45AM

It's not like they can go willy nilly and ignore the other spots and just draft a WR. There has to be a plan in place.

It all depends on how they address FA. Cuts are coming. There's little doubt about that. We had the players to fill the spots last year but we went 8-8 with those guys consisting of mostly aging veterans.

Yes, Hartline had two 1k yard seasons but how many points has he scored over the last 3 years? 7 tds and 12 for his career. You just can't justify 7.5 mil for that. We need points. He has also shifted from # 1 or 2 option to 4 or 5. Same for Gibson.

You also cannot turn over the entire WR corps. That would not be could for Tannehill. I think we have to keep Wallace for many reasons.

Getting rid of Hartline and Gibson saves about 8 mil in cap space. Adding a top draft choice who can get those yac yards and produce points is more important than keeping guys around who cannot. that cap saving increases if we use the Hartline as one of the June 1st cuts. His savings would then be 6 mil....an extra 3 mil. That's 11 mil for those two guys.

Drafting a WR does a couple things. It hopefully give us a guy who can score points and if you get that talented 1st round guy, he can hopefully take over for Wallace in 2016 as the #1. We have to finf the right type of guy so we have a slot, deep and big Wr. Hartline does not fit our needs.

I only see one major hole on the o-line. Albert sounds like he should be back as his rehab is ahead of schedule. Sign a LG who can play OT as well and we are good to go.

As far as DT and LB, we need upgrades for sure.

Ellerbe is gone and clears another 8.5 mil. We do have options but we are also stuck with Wheeler. That's fine as he did ok in a reduced roles as SLB. Jordan should compete with him for the starters spot.

I don't think Misi can stay healthy and is not a good candidate to depend on as the MLB. We need someone there. We have Tripp to compete but we need another player to shore that spot up. If we can do that, releasing Misi would save another 2.7 mil. He is not worth 4.5 mil a year.

Most of these guys have been here and done that. It hasn't worked to be more than average. 8-8. It's time for a change.

The question is who to keep (if any) of our DT's. Starks cost too much for a part time, declining player. Savings of 5 mil.

Add a DT in FA who can occupy two blockers. Keep Mitchell or find another.

Finnegan saves another 5 mil.

We have players behind these guys but will need to add more in the draft and FA. If our young guys don't step up we are screwed anyway.

AJ Francis, Anthony Johnson, Will Davis, Jamar Taylor, Billy Turner.

We are talking about 30 mil in cap savings. It's not an issue.

That should get us players like NT Dan Williams, OT/OG Orlando Franklin and maybe a young CB like Culliver from SF for the same cap hit as the aging vet Finnegan....We still need a FS. I like Michael Thomas a lot so we don't have to make a huge signing. We also have Aikens who is still learning.

That leaves us available to get some talent in the draft.

Wr at 1, maybe a RB or DT in 2, depending on who drops.

We could even go after a MLB like Rolando McClain in FA.

there are other options than drafting O-line and DT.

Date: February 07, 2015 08:39AM

Finnegan played well, with the exception of the GB blunder at the end, until he got hurt in week 10. When he came back in week 17, he looked bad.

Team needs to decide whether second-half performance was an anomaly due to injury.

Date: February 07, 2015 11:04AM

Out of the draft last year, we got only 2 guys that contributed as regular starters for a majority of the year. That was obviously our 1st and 2nd rd picks. Juwan James and Jarvis Landry. So for us to bet that we are going to get regular contributions out of more then our first 2 picks next year isn't a fair assumption or basis to go by IMO... So IMO those first 2 picks in this coming draft are critical to our success.

It would be nice for some picks from last year to fill some of these holes I mentioned above.. Can Billy Turner fill a hole at guard next year. Can Terrence Fede fill a hole or at least add depth at DT?

What holes can we fill in FA is obviously going to have a huge impact on what we can do with those first 2 picks... We need another guard, we need a MLB, we need a CB and DT. Without any of us having the insight as to what cuts and FA's we will be able to sign, those are our biggest holes currently.. That is why I would like to address either MLB, CB or DT with those first 2 picks... If those needs are addressed before the draft great, but until then, those positions should be our priority..

I understand that you can't pass up a stud, so if one falls to us at guard, WR, or even TE, then you shouldn't pass on the next great at those positions either... But if we don't solve those other priorities we are going to remain mediocre IMO... That is where I am coming from on not being hot on drafting a WR in the first rd...

Nietzsche

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 12:53PM by Crowder52.

Date: February 07, 2015 12:01PM

I think Delmas is a must in FA. Clay is the second FA priority. They will cost $7-8 mil. Team can cut Gibson ($3M) and Hartline ($6M post J1) to get that money.

That makes the starters largely unchanged and leaves the draft for upgrades.

Miller
Tannehill
James, Thomas, Pouncey, Smith, Albert
Wallace, Clay, Landry, Matthews

Wake, MItchell, Starks, Vernon
Jenkins, Misi, Jordan
Grimes, Jones, Delmas, Finnegan

___

The depth would be:

Williams
Bethel-Thompson
Turner, Brenner Garner, practice squad guys
Hazel, Sims, practice aquad guys

Feede, Anthony Johnson, practice squad
McCain, Ellerbe ($8.5 mil after J1), Wheeler
Davis, Jones, Aiken, Taylor

Now you have to ask yourself, is cutting any of the LBs, which is the strength depth-wise right now, worth it to resign AJ Francis, Shelby, Michael Thomas, Jared Odrick, or anyone else you have in mind.

Team can also cut Pouncey ($7.5 mil), and resign Satele ($2 mil) and gain $5.5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 12:05PM by thegreathoo.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 07, 2015 12:39PM

Delmas?

Date: February 07, 2015 01:00PM

thegreathoo Wrote:
> Finnegan played well, with the exception of the GB
> blunder at the end, until he got hurt in week 10.
> When he came back in week 17, he looked bad.
>
> Team needs to decide whether second-half
> performance was an anomaly due to injury.

Finnegan was horrendous.

He should retire after letting Eric Decker and Geno Smith abuse him the way they did.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 08, 2015 03:37AM

Ngata got the take a pay cut or else ultimatum from baltimore.

get him.

Date: February 09, 2015 02:58AM

Date: February 12, 2015 04:59AM

Date: February 12, 2015 07:20AM

Id sign for those first two picks right now.

I really love dorsett's game. I think he's going to be a stud in the NFL.

It would also allow us to part ways with wallace after this season and not skip a beat.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 12, 2015 09:04AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Id sign for those first two picks right now.
>
> I really love dorsett's game. I think he's going
> to be a stud in the NFL.
>
> It would also allow us to part ways with wallace
> after this season and not skip a beat.

I was also thinking about Wallace, in that Dorsett could take his position. Wallace is slightly taller than Dorsett, but not by much. It is reported that Dorsett is also the fastest player in this year's draft.

Read this AM of which teams could be interested in a trade with Miami to get Wallace. Personally, I highly doubt any team would be willing to give up as much as it would take to get Wallace, however...if it is a team that is on the cusp and all they need is that one guy (receiver) then it is possible a deal could get done.

But I, like the rest of you, don't believe anything will happen with Wallace until after this coming season.

Date: February 12, 2015 09:27AM

captkoi Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Id sign for those first two picks right now.
> >
> > I really love dorsett's game. I think he's
> going
> > to be a stud in the NFL.
> >
> > It would also allow us to part ways with
> wallace
> > after this season and not skip a beat.
>
> **************************************************
> ********
>
> I was also thinking about Wallace, in that Dorsett
> could take his position. Wallace is slightly
> taller than Dorsett, but not by much. It is
> reported that Dorsett is also the fastest player
> in this year's draft.
>
> Read this AM of which teams could be interested in
> a trade with Miami to get Wallace. Personally, I
> highly doubt any team would be willing to give up
> as much as it would take to get Wallace,
> however...if it is a team that is on the cusp and
> all they need is that one guy (receiver) then it
> is possible a deal could get done.
>
> But I, like the rest of you, don't believe
> anything will happen with Wallace until after this
> coming season.

I'd trade Wallace, but I'm not giving him away. I'd want a late #1, or a 2 &3 this year, or a 2 this year and next.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 12, 2015 09:41AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> captkoi Wrote:
> -----
> > THE Truth Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Id sign for those first two picks right now.
> > >
> > > I really love dorsett's game. I think he's
> > going
> > > to be a stud in the NFL.
> > >
> > > It would also allow us to part ways with
> > wallace
> > > after this season and not skip a beat.
> >
> >
>
> > ********
> >
> > I was also thinking about Wallace, in that
> Dorsett
> > could take his position. Wallace is slightly
> > taller than Dorsett, but not by much. It is
> > reported that Dorsett is also the fastest
> player
> > in this year's draft.
> >
> > Read this AM of which teams could be interested
> in
> > a trade with Miami to get Wallace. Personally,
> I
> > highly doubt any team would be willing to give
> up
> > as much as it would take to get Wallace,
> > however...if it is a team that is on the cusp
> and
> > all they need is that one guy (receiver) then
> it
> > is possible a deal could get done.
> >
> > But I, like the rest of you, don't believe
> > anything will happen with Wallace until after
> this
> > coming season.
>
>
> I'd trade Wallace, but I'm not giving him away.
> I'd want a late #1, or a 2 &3 this year, or a 2
> this year and next.

A 2 and something else at the minimum.

Date: February 17, 2015 02:28AM

Mayock said after watching game tape of DGB, "he didn't have a clue what he was doing".

Really likes Jalean Strong. Reminds him of Larry Fitzgerald only not as technically sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 02:28AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 17, 2015 07:04AM

captkoi Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> -----
> > captkoi Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > THE Truth Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Id sign for those first two picks right
> now.
> > > >
> > > > I really love dorsett's game. I think he's
> > > going
> > > > to be a stud in the NFL.
> > > >
> > > > It would also allow us to part ways with
> > > wallace
> > > > after this season and not skip a beat.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > ********
> > >
> > > I was also thinking about Wallace, in that
> > Dorsett
> > > could take his position. Wallace is slightly
> > > taller than Dorsett, but not by much. It is
> > > reported that Dorsett is also the fastest
> > player
> > > in this year's draft.
> > >
> > > Read this AM of which teams could be
> interested
> > in
> > > a trade with Miami to get Wallace.
> Personally,
> > I
> > > highly doubt any team would be willing to
> give
> > up
> > > as much as it would take to get Wallace,
> > > however...if it is a team that is on the cusp
> > and
> > > all they need is that one guy (receiver) then
> > it
> > > is possible a deal could get done.
> > >
> > > But I, like the rest of you, don't believe
> > > anything will happen with Wallace until after
> > this
> > > coming season.
> >
> >
> > I'd trade Wallace, but I'm not giving him away.
>
> > I'd want a late #1, or a 2 &3 this year, or a
> 2
> > this year and next.
>
> *******
>
> A 2 and something else at the minimum.

come on guys, no one is even giving a late rounder for wallace with his insane contract and the fact we are just as likely to cut him and get nothing, because philbin can't handle him

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.