HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ryan Tannehill
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ryan Tannehill
Posted by: sickofit ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:22PM

I think it's time to talk about the elephant in the room, and that's Ryan. Now last year when he "hit the wall" they blamed it on "growing pains." This year they are blaming it on the O-line. It would be nice to have civilized discussion of this situation, b/c if Ryan is not our franchise QB, we are even more effed than we think. We can blame the O-line for Ryan rgressing this year, but whatever the reason, he's still regressing and this kind of play kills careers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ryan Tannehill
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:28PM

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:34PM

We're witnessing first hand what got Sherman fired from A&M, and while Tanney Q'd for them, they didn't win $#!T.

Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:37PM

HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let tanny play reciever isnt that after all what the hell he is???? Hey if nothing else bench him but keep him around just cuz his wife is ssssssssssssssmmmmmmmmmmooooking lol!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:40PM

Ever heard of a Sophomore slump? It hit Cam Newton, but he got through it.

Posted by: bravedave13 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:41PM

It would be nice to have a nice discussion but anytime you make
a point or true assessment about this team your called a fan of
another AFC team trying to make trouble...... I like Tanny but he needs time to throw ie the first half of this game. It didn't take long for Belacheat to figure us out. Tanny will need more time to develop not sure fans will wait. He didn't start in college for long and have enough time to gain experience in college as a starting QB. He also needs a real 1st rate wr who doesn't drop 3-4 passes a game.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:42PM

Reality is we drafted a QB with about a year of college QB experience likely on Sherman's recommendations, thinking he would become a franchise pro QB, and passed on Russell Wilson! Simply bad talent evaluation by people that get paid to do this.

Takes more sacks without stepping up in the pocket than any QB I have ever seen. Is up to what 13 turnovers through 7 games?

Misses deep open receiver at least 75% of the time. Hasn't shown he has the touch needed in the NFL

Throws behind receivers an awful lot

Liked the Egnew sighting!

Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 27, 2013 12:48PM

Things I saw today

1.) Tannehill's turnovers and general lack of awareness (call it presence or what ever, it's just not there.) are killing us at game critical times.

2.) The coaches unimaginative and predictable play calling aren't helping Tannehill develop (if there is anything more to develop.)

3.) From Sherman on down, there is no 'situational football' being played. This is not Madden where everybody always does what is scripted. You HAVE to take into consideration the ebb and flow of the game and the situation...THEY DON'T.

4.) The line is no stone wall but watch Red Zone. LOTS of QB's are getting pressured 2-3 sec in to the play. The good ones STILL make plays.

Date: October 27, 2013 01:35PM

Russell Wilson?!?! this is a true case of "hindsight is 20/20"! He wasn't even rated one of the top five QB's and I don't believe he was even projected as a first rounder. This goes to show the ridiculousness of the importance some people place in draft position.

Rick

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:38PM

russell Wilson averages about 140 yards/game.

what a stupid comparison.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 01:55PM

I actually like devlin. Try him we won't win shit this year, let's see what we have in some of our other players. Who cares if we lose now, we are going NOWHERE.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 02:00PM

I am not willing to cut bait on RT. he shows flashes of being a very good nfl qb. his TD to gibson today was a thing of beauty, few qbs could've make that accross the body play
his downfall is pocket awareness. If he had a line where it wasn't an issue 20-25 times a game I think he'll be fine. he needs at least another full year before I think he's not the guy.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 27, 2013 02:04PM

You also realize that passes over 30 yards are only completed around 30% or less of the time...by far most deep balls are incomplete.

Even the best at it are sucessful no more than 40% give or take a few points.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 02:10PM

yes. pat devlin is the answer!

Date: October 28, 2013 09:19AM

Another "hindsight is 20/20" moment.

Rick

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 28, 2013 09:35AM

Tanneyhill - first half: Played very well; line kept him clean; had the running game going; hitting his receivers right on the money (most of the time); 17-3 halftime lead (should have been more).

Second half: NE says the hell with it - goes for broke and starts to blitz RT; OLine can't pick up the blitzers;Sherman quits on the running game; RT having no time in the pocket - either gets sacked/hit, or manages to escape for yards.

It was said (on this board) that if we look around the league, many QBs aren't getting much time to throw, but somehow manage to get the job done. Which QBs are those? Almost guarantee that those QBs are the one's at the top of the heap.

RT still has some learning to do; much improvement is required - he knows it, the team knows it, the coaches know it, and the fans "should" know it. For the deep throws, more than 2.4 seconds is needed to even have a chance at completing it. However, in RT's case, my advise would be for him to drop back quickly and let it fly, throwing with everything he has. Let Wallace run under it. That pass to Wallace that was picked off, RT was guiding it to Wallace more than throwing it. Just let it loose! That's where a good QB coach comes into play. BTW, who the hell is Miami's QB coach?

I will say it again, RT is not the problem; he's part of it, but not the biggest problem. It starts at the top.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:13AM

Even though RT played "well" in the first half, I did not see the type of passing accuracy I see in a Peyton Manning or an Aaron Rodgers or an Andrew Luck.

Now you have a point to say, "Hey, you gonna compare him with Manning and Rodgers. That's not fair. Luck maybe but...."

You have a point EXCEPT for the fact that the COACHES ARE TRYING TO MAKE HIM INTO MANNING AND RODGERS AND LUCK.

He will never be that!

But I am more content to let him be what NATURE MEANT HIM TO BE and that is a Kaepernick, a Russell Wilson, an RGIII!.

BTW on another thread someone else complained about us not drafting Russell Wilson. That's wrong because Wilson wasn't drafted until the third round in the draft with Luck, Tanny, RGIII, Weeden, etc. all in that draft.

I don't blame us for not DRAFTING Russell Wilson because WE HAVE A RUSSELL WILSON ON OUR ROSTER....His name is Ryan Tannehill.

But we won't play him like that because "that doesn't fit Philbin's system."

It's really frustrating to see how incompetent our coaching staff is!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:24AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though RT played "well" in the first half, I
> did not see the type of passing accuracy I see in
> a Peyton Manning or an Aaron Rodgers or an Andrew
> Luck.
>
> Now you have a point to say, "Hey, you gonna
> compare him with Manning and Rodgers. That's not
> fair. Luck maybe but...."
>
> You have a point EXCEPT for the fact that the
> COACHES ARE TRYING TO MAKE HIM INTO MANNING AND
> RODGERS AND LUCK.
>
> He will never be that!
>
> But I am more content to let him be what NATURE
> MEANT HIM TO BE and that is a Kaepernick, a
> Russell Wilson, an RGIII!.
>
>
> BTW on another thread someone else complained
> about us not drafting Russell Wilson. That's
> wrong because Wilson wasn't drafted until the
> third round in the draft with Luck, Tanny, RGIII,
> Weeden, etc. all in that draft.
>
> I don't blame us for not DRAFTING Russell Wilson
> because WE HAVE A RUSSELL WILSON ON OUR
> ROSTER....His name is Ryan Tannehill.
>
> But we won't play him like that because "that
> doesn't fit Philbin's system."
>
> It's really frustrating to see how incompetent our
> coaching staff is!

I won't and never will, put RT in the Manning, Luck, etc., class of QBs.

Think about it; Miami had Bob Griese and Dan Marino. Two completely different QBs and HOFers. Do any of us expect Ryan to be Danny Boy? Of course not, but he can be better than Bob, and that would suit me just fine.

Tanneyhill is who he is, still working on different areas of becoming a better QB. He is doing fine right now, but not good enough to take this team on his shoulders, ala Marino. As I mentioned in a different post, he needs a really good QB coach to help him, and I don't believe Miami has that.

Bob was a QB that could not take the team on his shoulder; he needed a good surrounding cast, which he had. Miami's overall team (especially the line) improves, I can see RT being in the upper echelon of QBs.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:28AM

I still like TANNY, He is growing, but you need an "O" line around him, without all your "elite" QB's would fail

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:50AM

I just do not see anything that some of you see in Tannehill.

He locks on the receivers before the snap. He does not see the open receiver because he is content on where he is throing it before the snap.

One example from yesterday. before the snap he decided to throw to Matthews on a little curl. The defender wsa on him another one read his eyes and almost jumped the route, incomplete. Meanwhile Wallace ran a 7 yard streak and turned around, his defender kept going, Wallace was wide open, but Tannehill had already decided where he was going to throw it.

Date: October 28, 2013 10:53AM

Date: October 29, 2013 02:48PM

"Bob was a QB that could not take the team on his shoulder" If you had ever seen him play, you would not make so breathtakingly misinformed a statement. Griese was around long after Csonka and Morris left, and engineered many more wins with a much weaker supporting cast. He was the consumate "field general" QB that all HOF QB's were in those days. Plus, he was supremely accurate.

Rick

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:07PM

dolphin Wrote:
> I just do not see anything that some of you see in
> Tannehill.
>
> He locks on the receivers before the snap. He does
> not see the open receiver because he is content on
> where he is throing it before the snap.
>

What I have seen, is him progress... I didn't like him year 1, but I like the progression in year 2 despite the obvious weakness in protecting him...
RT is not locking on to receivers at all like he did last year... I have actual watched him look off protection several times... When it is a quick pass play, at times he still has bad habits of looking at him, but that is because it is a quick throw... He will get better at that, as he has with several of his weakness's from last year... RT was and is still a bit raw, my main question was there is a lot of unknown, to draft him so high... But at this point, I know more, and have seen him progress... That is all you can ask for and that is what I see in him at this point.. The ability to grow as a player... The small hands fumbling issues is the main concern... The interception are down, the TD's are up, but the fumbles are up... So the fumbles is the only knock of not seeing progress IMO... Obviously sacks are up but that is surely not all on him IMO..
AM I 100 percent certain he is our pro bowl guy long term, no but I am ten times more confident then last year in him.... Tannehill is the least of this teams problems at this point IMO...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:24PM

and for those who want to bench him for matt moore---the chance of Moore being a franchise QB is zero, of RT maybe 50%. no sense to bench RT for MM

Date: October 29, 2013 03:28PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> "Bob was a QB that could not take the team on his
> shoulder" If you had ever seen him play, you would
> not make so breathtakingly misinformed a
> statement. Griese was around long after Csonka and
> Morris left, and engineered many more wins with a
> much weaker supporting cast. He was the consumate
> "field general" QB that all HOF QB's were in those
> days. Plus, he was supremely accurate.

Don't agree with you often, Rick but you are spot on on this. I also have my first hand observations of his senior year in college to verify what you say in addition to the fact that Shula had so much confidence in him (and that's saying something) that during the perfect season, Griese was out for the overwhelming majority of the games having been injured early. The substitute was Earl Morrall who had played for Baltimore before, the team Shula came from. Griese only gets healthy AS OF SUPERBOWL DAY, even I was saying "Don't screw things up, let Morrall play the SuperBowl" but in one of the most noteworthy decisions in Sports History, Shula let Griese start his ONLY GAME SINCE BEING INJURED IN ABOUT THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF THE SEASON.

Either Griese was more than just a caretaker or Shula was insane. Of course, we won.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:15AM

The Chargers lost faith in Drew Brees after a few seasons and drafted Eli Manning (was traded for Rivers), a few years later the Packers had ZERO faith in Aaron Rodgers and drafted Brian Brohm...

So, you telling me you are willing to give up on RT17 after 23 starts?

You might want to think long and hard about that.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:45AM

Teams (coaches) are not taking the time to develop qb's these days. They just throw them out to sink or swim. Guys like Wilson & RG3 swim
and guys like POnder, Freeman and Gabbert sink. I think we take the time and develop Tanne. We definately don't spend a top 3 draft pick on a qb next year. I don't think Devlin has what it takes.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 30, 2013 06:39AM

You really think if we had kept Henne, Feely, Fiedler, et al around for 10 years to 'develop' they would have been franchise level guys? YES YES DREW BREES...the exception to the 9999 times out of 10000 rule that franchise level NFL QB's show it sooner rather than later.

Of course Brees was also battling media darling Doug Flutie, Tannehill isn't. He has owned the job since day one.

No one wants him to succeed more than me but to be honest, he is only slightly improved in a season and a half and I for one am not willing to put up with another years long experiment in "THE QB IS NOT THE PROBLEM". We've been doing that over and over for the better part of 13 years and seen one of the most storied franchises in the NFL reduced to predictable mediocrity.

Could Tannehill be successful in the right situation? Yes, MOST NFL QB's could (Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer) but a true franchise level guy that will bring us back to competitiveness and relevance and keep us there for his carer is what I and i think most others here want.

If Tannehill isn't the answer...move on, I'm a Dolphin fan not a Tannehill Fan.

It just amazes me WHY we can't solve some of these problems. Other teams do, they FIND a QB, they BUILD an Oline without wasting all their draft picks and cap money to do so, THey find cover guys and pass rushers...The problem here over the last decade at least seems systemic from the owner to the position coaches. Is it incompetence, stubbornness, lack of motivation??? IDK... what ever, the will to win seems to have gone missing in South Florida.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 06:41AM by KB.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 07:15AM

It took Drew Brees 3 years to develop and he did not battle Flutie. Chargers gave him the starting job in 2002 and rightfully replace him in 2003 when Bree had them at 1-7. Bottom line it took 3 years for Brees to develop and his carrer took off in year 4.

Took Ben R several years in Pittsburgh

A Rodgers had 3 years to develop behind Favre.

We did not invest first rnd picks in Henne, Feeley or Fiedler.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 07:23AM

Rothlisburger took Pittsburg to the superbowel in his 2nd year there.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.