HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Veteran most likely to be cut
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Veteran most likely to be cut
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:56AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Veteran most likely to be cut
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:53AM

I think several players could fall into that category. Maybe not just to get cut but to be moved in some fashion.

We have several players that will soon be free agents and that are working on one year contracts...or that just present questions about scheme fit, health, ability, etc.

I could see many of these positions being addressed in the draft and the dominoes may fall according to how the competition plays out in camp.

Dimitri Patterson, Randy Starks, Paul Soliai, Richie Incognito, Davone Bess, Brent Grimes, Rishard Marshall, Dustin Keller, Dan Carpenter, Jared Odrick...

3 DT's
3 CB's
1 TE
1 LG
1 slot receiver
1 kicker

What happens if Star Lotulelei or Shariff Floyd fall to us the draft? We could move one of our DT's. Starks @ 8.5 mil or Solia @ 7.8 mil.

If we should land Dee Milliner (or other) we will be cutting one of the CB's. This is inevitable IMO.

I think Keller is probably safe but his time is limited if we draft Eifert or Ertz.

We could draft Jon Cooper but I don't see us taking him in the first round only to put him at RG. That means Incog either moves to RG or gets moved.

Philbin already said Bess will be competing for a ROSTER SPOT so if we draft a WR relatively high, he is probably gone.

This roster shake-up could get even bigger.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 11, 2013 09:15AM

Hopefully Kicker is no longer a Top position for the Dolphins. Ole Tony seemed to crave 3 pointers more then 6. But its important to have an accurate Kicker at times. But I agree, not at close to $3million. You have every down players not making that kind of bank. Time for Carpenter to get a haircut.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 11, 2013 09:42AM

Northeast Fin Fan, I'll bet not. The guy was like Garo Yrepremian for all of his career and has a couple of misses early last year and everyone remembers those misses but forgets how he has saved our bacon many times in his years.

Kicker is a position where the question is "what have you done for me lately." I understand that but what you have to understand is that once you get an average kicker to replace him or as the odds might have it, one that truly sucks, you'll be regretting your post right now.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 09:46AM

we are paying carpenter like the 3d best K in the league and he's not. we could pay someone the minium to have the season he had last year.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:10AM

or we could just extend his contract to give some cap relief in the first few years.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 11, 2013 10:21AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:27AM

it's possible we draft someone
lasy yr there were some incredible rookie ks, and you don't pay them diddly

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 11, 2013 11:20AM

I'll be shocked if we don't draft in the 6th/7th or sign a street FA after the draft.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:24PM

Date: April 11, 2013 10:07PM

I agree. Our Punter , Brandon Fields , is one of the best in the league. Guy consistently put us in great Field position . But Carpenter? I'm always on the edge of my seat 40+ yds out. He either takes a pay cut or get some young blood in. We have the picks later on.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 11, 2013 10:50PM

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:34AM

I like Carpenter, but kickers are cheap and the difference from a pristine kicker to a good one shouldn't be having to pay 2+ mill. Sorry.

Date: April 27, 2013 10:51AM

Here comes the competition in the form of Caleb Sturgis. Wouldn't be shocked if they brought a veteran in as well.

With Bess' salary gone and Carpenter likely gone, we will have quite a bit of cap space. Free agency is not yet over. Valuable players could still be added. Having some cap room is nice.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:00AM

Adios to Carpenter and his 3mil salary.

Date: August 15, 2013 03:38AM

So, Carpenter is gone. That shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Carpenter's stats prove that he is just an average kicker, who was getting paid like a star.

This is a good move no matter how you look at it. We save cap space and get a young guy with a big leg.

Date: August 15, 2013 11:09AM

This should not have surprised anyone. The signs were clear even before we drafted Sturgis. Carpenter is a middle of the road kicker.

For his career, Carpenter is 16th in FG accuracy among current NFL kickers. He was 24th last year. For his career, he hits 50% beyond 50 yards. He was 2-5 last year in kicks beyond 50 yards. Only four kickers had a lower conversion rate from beyond 50 yards in 2012.

Date: August 15, 2013 11:19AM

Looking at the Salaries of Veteran kickers we were smart to grab this kid in the 5th round. Sturgis looks like Great value at this point.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.