Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sturgis might make the team instead of carpenter. jacksonville highlights video.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sturgis might make the team instead of carpenter. jacksonville highlights video.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 04:43AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sturgis might make the team instead of carpenter. jacksonville highlights video.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 05:22AM

samsam3738 Wrote:

> Who thinks sturgis makes the team instead of
> carpenter?
>
>

everyone. that' why he was drafted. you don't take a kicker in the 5th to cut him. as long as sturgis finishes even with or slightly below crpenter, he makes the team to due to salary and draft status. carpenter makes it only if sturgis stinks up the joint. after last night, sturgis needs to get hurt or miss a bunch of easy kicks from here on out to lost the job

Re: Sturgis might make the team instead of carpenter. jacksonville highlights video.
Date: August 10, 2013 05:27AM

Agreed berkley!.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 10, 2013 06:57AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> samsam3738 Wrote:
>
>
> > Who thinks sturgis makes the team instead of
> > carpenter?
> >
> >
>
> everyone. that' why he was drafted. you don't take
> a kicker in the 5th to cut him. as long as sturgis
> finishes even with or slightly below crpenter, he
> makes the team to due to salary and draft status.
> carpenter makes it only if sturgis stinks up the
> joint. after last night, sturgis needs to get hurt
> or miss a bunch of easy kicks from here on out to
> lost the job

Exactly right Berk.

There are two reasons Carpenter is here. First, in case Sturgis stinks up the joint. And second, in case some other team (like TB ) loses a kicker and we can turn him into a 5th round pick next year.

Its been Sturgis job to lose since we drafted him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 07:43AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 07:36AM

The only trick about trading Carpenter, is I am not sure how many teams are going to be willing to pay that big of a salary to a kicker that didnt have a great year last year... I guess he doesnt have to clear waivers because of his years in the league, so if we cut him, he can sign anywhere... So a team would really have to fear Carpenter didnt want to play for them in order for it to make sense for us to be able to trade him... Maybe i am missing something in the equation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 10, 2013 07:50AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> The only trick about trading Carpenter, is I am
> not sure how many teams are going to be willing to
> pay that big of a salary to a kicker that didnt
> have a great year last year... I guess he doesnt
> have to clear waivers because of his years in the
> league, so if we cut him, he can sign anywhere...
> So a team would really have to fear Carpenter
> didnt want to play for them in order for it to
> make sense for us to be able to trade him...
> Maybe i am missing something in the equation?

Well if he hits the open market, he goes to the highest bidder.

What if you have two teams or more, with playoff or championship aspirations, who have a weak spot at kicker?

If he hits the open market under those circumstances he could actually get MORE money than he's due right now.

There's 3 more weeks to go in the preseason, if you need a kicker, do you really want to run the risk that you'll be his only option when he gets cut or is it better to just cough up a late draft pick?

Its a no lose situation for us. We hang onto him until someone gives us something for him, Sturigs gets hurt or stinks it up, or until we need his roster spot at final cuts.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 07:59AM

Sturgis has the job as of today as far as what I have seen, I really liked what I saw. I saw one case where the PAT was slightly muffed, and the kid didn't panic, he kept on coming and put it in dead center. Another FG was a long one straight down the middle of the uprights. The kid has a great leg.

Date: August 10, 2013 08:04AM

I agree there is nothing to lose in the situation.... But I would be extremely surprised if someone signs him to a bigger contract then he currently has... It is not like Carpenter is coming off of a probowl year... He is coming off a year where his missed kicks in the 4th QT or overtimes cost his team football games... If he won us those games last year, we probably dont draft Sturgis... I would also give it a 5-10 percent chance we are actually able to trade his contract.. His contract is ultimately his greatest liability, it would take a rare situation for someone to trade for that liability, that we want away from... Not saying it cant happen, just that it isnt likely...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 10, 2013 08:20AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I agree there is nothing to lose in the
> situation.... But I would be extremely surprised
> if someone signs him to a bigger contract then he
> currently has... It is not like Carpenter is
> coming off of a probowl year... He is coming off a
> year where his missed kicks in the 4th QT or
> overtimes cost his team football games... If he
> won us those games last year, we probably dont
> draft Sturgis... I would also give it a 5-10
> percent chance we are actually able to trade his
> contract.. His contract is ultimately his greatest
> liability, it would take a rare situation for
> someone to trade for that liability, that we want
> away from... Not saying it cant happen, just that
> it isnt likely...

Carpenter is only the 9th highest paid Kr in 2012.

If we trade him, his cap number is only 2.6m, which really isn't a huge number for a good kr.

Its certainly no lock we get anything for him, but I think its better than 50/50 that we get someone to bite by the end of camp.

Date: August 10, 2013 10:36AM

Kid Rock (carpenter) will be cut. However looking at the Jags kicker......he won't be out of work long.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 10, 2013 11:57AM

Truth- if you had to take a bet, whether Carpenter would be traded for compensation or just cut, which side of the bet would you put your money on?

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2013 11:58AM by Crowder52.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:15PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Truth- if you had to take a bet, whether Carpenter
> would be traded for compensation or just cut,
> which side of the bet would you put your money on?

I'd say that as long as he keeps kicking well this summer, its about 60/40 in favor of us making a trade for a late round pick.

But that's just my opinion.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 10, 2013 12:21PM

I also say that we can probably get something for Carpenter.

We must all remember, tho, that Sturgis was already on the sidelines (earlier) because of an injury. That in itself is not a good sign.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:58PM

captkoi Wrote:
> I also say that we can probably get something for
> Carpenter.
>
> We must all remember, tho, that Sturgis was
> already on the sidelines (earlier) because of an
> injury. That in itself is not a good sign.

I agree Capt, a groin injury a week into camp didnt make me feel warm and fuzzy about him being our only kicker all year. But I am not sure how he got injured? Last night he was a beast, putting the ball for touchbacks, kick after kick, and then nailing a 58 yard FG... But having an injured kicker midseason can really hurt u and is in the back of my mind...

Nietzsche

Date: August 10, 2013 11:57PM

First week in the NFL could rip anyones Nutsack a little........Kids going to be a force. place carpenter on the trade block

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 12, 2013 06:46AM

If carpenter makes the team we are in trouble.

When is the last time carpenter made a 58 yard fieldgoal?

If we let go of sturgis it will be a mistake.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 12, 2013 07:03AM

No worries Sam, this battle is over unless Sturgis rips his gunny sac again

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 12, 2013 07:53AM

?@OmarKelly 2h Dan Carpenter's 54-yard field goal is short. At this point he's merely trade bait. Competition is really over.

From Omars twitter

Date: August 12, 2013 08:47AM

Thanks dolphaholic...

yup carpenter is toast.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 12, 2013 09:55AM

I have a unique take on this. In this day and age, my philosophy is that you DON'T want to kick the ball out of the endzone.

Let's switch the sides. When Miami receives the kick, I am always muttering "PUH-LEEZE, don't bring that ball out!"

You know why?

Because when you bring the ball out, in the 1960's they used to say it's not worth the effort if you don't get AT LEAST to the 28 yard line.

Now with TODAY'S rules and how if an offensive player even BREATHES ON a defensive player's back they are calling "ILLEGAL BLOCK IN THE BACK" "as quick as Jack Sprat can put on his hat."

So most of the time, you end up getting the ball at your own 10 yard line.

So reversing the question, I want OUR KICKER to drop the ball at about the 5 or 10 yard line and I'll bet they don't get the ball to the 30 yard line NO MATTER WHAT and the odds are the refs will have them starting BEHIND THEIR ON 20 YARD LINE.

If you kick the ball into the endzone, you give them the 20 yard lines.

If you guys don't believe me, start watching for this in all pre season games.

Mark the number of kickoffs and where the first line of scrimmage is in cases in which the guys brings the ball OUT OF THE ENDZONE.

Date: August 12, 2013 10:01AM

Chren i think i rather have the opposing team start at the 20 and not give them a shot of breaking a long return.

Date: August 12, 2013 10:34AM

Date: August 12, 2013 11:12AM

Just look at it this way chren............about 5 yards difference is not going to make a difference if our D plays like i believe they can play.

Date: August 12, 2013 11:59AM

I have been looking into something with this.. Follow me, When we signed Carpenter as UDFA, after the draft we got him for a 2 year contract for around what Sturgis's 4 year contract equates to on a yearly avg... Then in his third year we signed him again for a 1 year 470 grand deal.. 4 months into his third year and one year deal, we signed him an extension which he is on now and getting paid much more... So here is my point, did drafting Sturgis actually equate to less money then what Carpenter got his first 4 years...
Because Sturgis was drafted he was slotted more or less now, with a low 4 year deal.. Because Carpenter was UDFA he signed a 2 year deal and was able to make much more his 3rd and 4th year, then Sturgis is slotted to make... So in theory, the fact we drafted Sturgis and he is slotted cost him money as compared to a 2 year deal he could have signed being a UDFA and then asking for a lot more money in year 3 and 4 then he is going to get because he was drafted.... So drafting him in the long run actually saved us money...

Nietzsche

Date: August 12, 2013 12:04PM

in short Carpenter earned 1 million in his third year and 2.53 million in his 4th... Sturgis makes 585 grand and 675 grand in his 3rd and 4th year...

Nietzsche

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 12, 2013 12:54PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
>
> Let's switch the sides. When Miami receives the
> kick, I am always muttering "PUH-LEEZE, don't
> bring that ball out!"
>

I find myself saying that too, but in my case it's because I"m afraid we'll fumble the damn thing.

Date: August 12, 2013 03:51PM

LOL. That too.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 12, 2013 05:02PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> First week in the NFL could rip anyones Nutsack a
> little........Kids going to be a force. place
> carpenter on the trade block

Damn. Lol

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 13, 2013 09:02AM

I think the last time anyone traded for a kicker was 2007 when Meuller traded Olindo Mare to the Saints for a 6th.

I don't see anyone giving up draft picks for Carpenter. Especially when they know he will be cut AND they will be on the hook for his bloated (3m+) salary. He's not exactly "clutch".

I think he is the 8th highest paid Dolphin....he makes more than Tannehill.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 13, 2013 11:29AM

If I was Carpenter, I'd ask to be released in the first cuts, or even earlier if possible. He's got too much talent to be out of a job for long.

Rick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.