HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ireland extension?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ireland extension?
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 18, 2013 06:16AM

I think Ireland is going to get an extension after the draft.

I know this is going to freak some people out, but I think it has to happen.

It really doesn't matter how you grade the last draft, this FA period or this coming draft. It boils down to continuity within the franchise.

I think he's had a good run the last 12+ months but its not about debating that subject.

Its about Philbin and the stability of the franchise.

Look how painful the process of purging your line up is when yo switch coaches, let alone philosophies.

If we parted ways with Ireland after this year (when his contract is up) we'd bring in a new GM who is going to want his guy which means Philbin is out in a year or two and we start the process all over.

I think we should give Ireland a 2 year extension so his contract is synced up with Philbin's. So that they succeed or fail as a team and if we do have to clean house the transition to a new coach and GM would be done at the same time.

That said, I don't think its going to be necessary to replace them. I think Philbin has all the hall marks of a terrific coach and no matter how much you fault Ireland for the failures under Parcvells/Sparano, you have to admit he's done pretty well since bringing in "his guy" a year ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ireland extension?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 06:23AM

absoultely not. I don't get this at all. can we at least see how the players he picked perform before giving him an extension?

let's not overlook that there is now no one left from the 2008 draft when we had the #1 overall pick, almost no one left from 2009, and few impact players from any of the drafts Ireland had a hand in. Also most of the FAs Ireland had a hand in were busts. So I for one think we should see if Ireland made good or bad moves in signing the LBs to big $$ contracts (Wallace gets a pass regardless because he was essentially a "must sign"winking smiley and who he comes up with in the draft.

If ireland picked crappy players, he is gone, and should be.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 18, 2013 06:37AM

Soonest I would do it is mid-season. Lots of moves to evaluate.

So many things could happen this year. If we stay healthy at key positions I think we are on the right track.

I like the character of the team they are building. FA's now want to come to Miami. They see what is going on. That's a complete switch in perception and direction of the team.

It's not like Ireland is a FA player that will go to highest bidder. He will want to stay and continue to develop this team and watch his players grow. Not much danger of him moving on if he is successful....and Ross can afford to overpay him....bc he doesn't count against the cap. smiling smiley

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 18, 2013 07:00AM

When I said "after the draft", I was thinking August and I was presuming that he has a draft on par with last year and this year's FA moves.

There's going to be no way to accurately judge his FA moves let alone this draft class by mid-season.

You might get a feeling one way or the other, but it takes months to develop chemistry, even with veteran players.

If its me, I give him two more years.

Doesn't mean he gets to live them out if the team goes 1-15 this year and/or next.

What it does is provide stability with an exit strategy if needed that makes your transition to an new GM/HC team smooth.

Date: March 18, 2013 07:27AM

i see no reason to make the move until right at the end of the season. Ireland isn't going anywhere in the middle, nor are we bringing in a replacement mid season. The more time to evaluate everything, the better. There's no rush to do anything before, and frankly the only downside is having Ireland twist in the wind a little, which I could care less about. He's lucky not to have been tossed out with Sporano and has been living on borrowed time ever since. He can wait a little longer.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 18, 2013 07:52AM

I'm not sure why any fan would care if/when they do this. It doesn't count against the cap, and he will be fired if RT fails no matter what his contract status is. It's Ross's money, he can spend it any way he wants.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 18, 2013 08:04AM

I'm starting to think The TRUTH is Ireland's agent.

Uhh. It's like way too early to accurately access Ireland's recent body of work -- tho the draft last year seems to be a move in the right direction (but OMG Egghead in R3 looks like a horrible decision).

The free agency comings and goings are a 2 sided coin and no one can tell for sure how well the added pieces will fit (as a solution) and how much the lost pieces will be an issue...

This needs to be put to sleep and reexamined around next November or December.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 10:48AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: March 18, 2013 08:07AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i see no reason to make the move until right at
> the end of the season. Ireland isn't going
> anywhere in the middle, nor are we bringing in a
> replacement mid season. The more time to evaluate
> everything, the better. There's no rush to do
> anything before, and frankly the only downside is
> having Ireland twist in the wind a little, which I
> could care less about. He's lucky not to have been
> tossed out with Sporano and has been living on
> borrowed time ever since. He can wait a little
> longer.

Two downsides to waiting.

1- Do you want a guy with no leverage as the boss to be negotiating extensions with guys like Reshard Jones?

2- It will become an absurd distraction as a story in the media as the season progresses.

If neither of those two matter to you...then wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 08:09AM by THE Truth.

Date: March 18, 2013 08:08AM

Mid season gives a pretty good indicator of where this team is headed. If we are 5-3 as oposed to 2-6....

FA's had better show up pretty aggressively before then. That's why you sign FA's...They have experience and are supposed to be immediate contributors.

If it is mid season and we don't know if Mike Wallace or Dannell Ellerbe is fitting in yet....we have serious problems.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 18, 2013 08:11AM

I don't see either of those 2 as being a problem at all. In what way will Ireland's job status play a role in negotiating extensions? What leverage is he lacking? The players will sign for the most money that can get. If you are saying the player would be reluctant to sign bc Ireland could then be fired, and then he'd be cut, that 's a big stretch, but the player keeps the signing bonus and gteed money anyway and can sign another deal with another team, so I doubt that's even a negative.

And it's pretty far fetched to think that "will Ireland stay or go" would be any sort of distraction to the teams' performance whatsoever.

Date: March 18, 2013 08:14AM

Date: March 18, 2013 08:25AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I don't see either of those 2 as being a problem
> at all. In what way will Ireland's job status play
> a role in negotiating extensions? What leverage is
> he lacking? The players will sign for the most
> money that can get.

That's just not true. Hartline took less money to sign here. So did Soliai.

If the agent he is negotiating with thinks there is a chance he is going to get the axe then why would he negotiate with him?

At the very least he'd use Ireland's weakened position to try to squeeze more out of him. He'd presume he's desperate.

> If you are saying the player
> would be reluctant to sign bc Ireland could then
> be fired, and then he'd be cut, that 's a big
> stretch, but the player keeps the signing bonus
> and gteed money anyway and can sign another deal
> with another team, so I doubt that's even a
> negative.

I'm not concerned with the players perspective. I really only care how it impacts the franchise.

>
> And it's pretty far fetched to think that "will
> Ireland stay or go" would be any sort of
> distraction to the teams' performance whatsoever.

Seriously?

it was a distraction THIS year. One fan even asked him at a game if he was going to fire himself. Did you forget the coverage that got?

But you are right. our fans are perfectly reasonable. They never overreact to stuff in the press or to Jeff Ireland...lol

Date: March 18, 2013 08:31AM

even assuming you are correct (I disagree), neither of those 2 things are worth locking up Ireland to an extension before seeing how the guys he selelcted in this "all in" offseason perform on the field. Practically nothing would merit doing so.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:00AM

I'd even agree with the proposition that says "Ireland should keep his job."

But to say that "Ireland should get an extension" immediately after this draft and prior to the beginning of the real season (which August is) then there is only one thing I can say...................

"THE Truth must be Ireland's nephew" (even more than his agent, BNF.)

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:07AM

Cutting Dansby and Burnett were not moves of a GM who is trying to save his job. Those two moves were pretty bold, and definitely not easily justifiable for the short term. They make a lot more sense from a long term point of view. It makes me think he at least has some level of comfort.

Date: March 18, 2013 09:27AM

Probably so but I think (speculation) Ireland sees them as more capable blitzers and play makers....as well as long term commitments.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:37AM

This Email is Chren's christmas gift.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 18, 2013 09:44AM

All I can get is that he is under contract through the 2013 Season.

That means to me that there is nothing critical until the end of the this college season.

Thus I'd say we have well into the season to evaluate how this years team is doing before having to decide.

My guess is they will at least sync him up with Philbin's tenure of a couple more years, and likely longer if success finally arrives this year.

Bottom line - I'm happy with choices he has made last year and so far thru free agency.
- I would have kept Jake here though for what they paid let him go.

This team has a lot more talent now and are a lot younger

Date: March 18, 2013 09:59AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> Cutting Dansby and Burnett were not moves of a GM
> who is trying to save his job. Those two moves
> were pretty bold, and definitely not easily
> justifiable for the short term. They make a lot
> more sense from a long term point of view. It
> makes me think he at least has some level of
> comfort.

I agree Mark.

I've kind of felt that way all along. He's never made panic moves, even when he could have and maybe should have to get people off his back (Orton, Flynn, etc). He's always acted like he had more job security than was speculated in the media or hoped for by some fans.

If you think about it objectively, it makes no sense for us to get rid of Philbin early. It destroys everything we've tried to put in place with our offensive and defensive transitions the last 14 months. Not too mention the fact we'd earn a reputation on par with Al Davis for pulling the plug too quickly on head coaches.

So, if we are keeping Philbin for his 4 years then we need continuity at GM also. If we bring in a new GM that guy is going to be worried about his ass, not the guy Ireland left him with. Just look at what happened to Lovie Smith in Chicago. New GM last year. Owner forced him to keep Lovie for one more year. Lovie forced out after winning 10 games so the new GM could start building things his way.

What was the point of keeping Smith? All it did was postpone the renovations the new guy was going to make by a year.

All I'm saying is that Philbin and Ireland should be tied at the hip. That means extending Ireland to match Philbins contract. In some ways its like the extension Sparano got after the Harbaugh fiasco. Its only worth the paper its printed on if they win.

But the bottom line is Philbin deserves at least 3 years without having to deal with a GM who is looking to bring in his own guy.

That means extending Ireland.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:01AM

eesti Wrote:
> Probably so but I think (speculation) Ireland sees
> them as more capable blitzers and play
> makers....as well as long term commitments.

I don't think any of the deals we signed are long term commitments.

Even the Wallace deal is an easy out after two years.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:01AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> This Email is Chren's christmas gift.

What e-mail?

Date: March 18, 2013 10:03AM

Phinjim Wrote:
> All I can get is that he is under contract through
> the 2013 Season.
>
> That means to me that there is nothing critical
> until the end of the this college season.
>
> Thus I'd say we have well into the season to
> evaluate how this years team is doing before
> having to decide.
>
> My guess is they will at least sync him up with
> Philbin's tenure of a couple more years, and
> likely longer if success finally arrives this
> year.

That's what I'm getting at Jim.

I just think they'll get it out of the way before the season starts.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:05AM

I think he meant this thread.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:09AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I think he meant this thread.

LOL you are right............i m sending so many emails at work to different finance companies with bills of sales and so much paperwork that i have the name email set in stone in my head.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:21AM

Your head is made of stone? That explains a lot. JK Sam.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:35AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think he meant this thread.
>
>
> LOL you are right............i m sending so many
> emails at work to different finance companies with
> bills of sales and so much paperwork that i have
> the name email set in stone in my head.

lol...makes sense.

just thought I missed something ChyrenB posted.

Maybe I need to consider unblocking him...

Date: March 18, 2013 10:38AM

i wish you would. It would be entertaing to read you two going at it.

Date: March 18, 2013 10:53AM

I make a solemn promise to never criticize anything that THE Truth writes if he would just unblock me.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 11:02AM

A lawyer making a promise? Never mind.

Date: March 18, 2013 11:48AM

LOL. Trust me. I'm a lawyer.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.