HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tight Ends
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tight Ends
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 25, 2013 04:04AM

Haven't heard much talk about this group on here but there are a few good ones that tested pretty well on Saturday.

Tyler Eifert (6'5 250 lbs): 4.68 40 yard dash, 4.32 short shuttle. He was more than twice as productive in college than Jason Witten. Great hands. Makes plays. Good blocker.

Anyone think he is worth #12? If teams pass on QB's and all of the blue chippers are gone by 12, I give serious consideration to the best TE in the draft and then grab a WR in round 2. This could seriously change our offense. We need TD's in 2013 and this guy would be a great red zone threat in the mold of Rob Gronkowski (minus the headaches).

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tight Ends
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 25, 2013 04:09AM

No maybe if we trade down then yes maybe later in round 1, but not at number 12.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 25, 2013 10:16AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't heard much talk about this group on here
> but there are a few good ones that tested pretty
> well on Saturday.
>
> Tyler Eifert (6'5 250 lbs): 4.68 40 yard dash,
> 4.32 short shuttle. He was more than twice as
> productive in college than Jason Witten. Great
> hands. Makes plays. Good blocker.
>
> Anyone think he is worth #12? If teams pass on
> QB's and all of the blue chippers are gone by 12,
> I give serious consideration to the best TE in the
> draft and then grab a WR in round 2. This could
> seriously change our offense. We need TD's in 2013
> and this guy would be a great red zone threat in
> the mold of Rob Gronkowski (minus the headaches).

Pick #12 in the draft has to be an immediate starter, blue chip-kind of guy.

I don't think TE fits that description (in this year's draft).

For Miami, at pick 12, again it is the BPA. The only blue-chippers I see in this year's draft (at #12) is OL (depending on what happens early in the draft), DT, and possibly CB.

Much will depend on what Miami does during FA.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 11:56AM

if we take him at 12, it would be typcial MIA. In trying to emulate teams like the pats and ravens who grabbed stud stretch the field TEs in the 2d and 3d rounds, years later in playing catchup we take someone not as good at 12 overall.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 01:53PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> if we take him at 12, it would be typcial MIA. In
> trying to emulate teams like the pats and ravens
> who grabbed stud stretch the field TEs in the 2d
> and 3d rounds, years later in playing catchup we
> take someone not as good at 12 overall.

I have not been a big Ireland fan, but I don't think there is a chance in hell he would draft this TE 12 this year with his job on the line.. He has all eyes on him right now, all the pressure to succeed for this team long term... I would sure hope he has a better plan then overspending on other teams FA and Eifert at 12...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 25, 2013 02:33PM

Look how Eifert compares to the top TE's of the past 10 years. Not much difference other than Vernon Davis being much faster. Eifert's college production is actually higher than most of them. We know now that he has the speed (4.6).

Like it or not Gronk was a coup in the 2nd round and sort of set a new standard for TE's which drives Eifert's value up IMO.

Jimmy Graham's value was low because of inexperience. No one knew he would be this good. He only played one year of football.

The success of all of these new TE's drives value up. The Ravens drafted a couple of lower round (3rd and 4th round) TE's because of their speed. They have not performed at the level of most of the 1st round TE's. They have been about as productive as Fasano.

Truth is there is no telling where Eifert ranks on team's draft boards. It doesn't matter where pundits have him ranked. If a team sees the same talent level as Gronk then you take him. Gronk would have been a top 10 player if they knew what he would be.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 25, 2013 02:56PM

Gronk had injury concerns coming out of college which is why he fell.. Hernandez had failed drug test.. Keller and Vernon Davis were special during the combine...jimmy graham played on a lousy team and as u said was relatively inexperienced... Eifert is a solid second rd pick, maybe late late 1st IMO.. The speed and athleticism in the combine is what boosted Davis and Keller into the first and top ten for Davis.. Eifert didn't display that type of freak athleticism in the combine

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 25, 2013 03:43PM

this TE thing really pisses me off. The year Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, etc were picked we take Jared Odrik, Koa Misi, John Jerry and we had a glaring need at TE.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 25, 2013 04:21PM

Didn't we draft a couple of TEs last year (or at least TE/FBs)?

Maybe we should try playing the people we draft (goes for more time for Lamar Miller as well) instead of drafting new people year after year without trying the ones we drafted.

And I mean play them in game situations too, not just in pre-season.

Date: February 25, 2013 04:54PM

when the draft is strong in a position like it was the gronk year THAT is the year we should be drafting TEs and not wasting picks on John Nablone and FB/HBs like Charles Clay

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 25, 2013 05:13PM

Sign Delanie Walker, Dustin Keller or Brandon Myers

Date: February 26, 2013 03:27AM

Delanie Walker is what Ireland wanted Charles Clay to be. He produced as much as our starting TE in a backup role. However, he has been in the league for 7 years. He is 2 inches shorter than Clay but the same weight. He was also less productive than Clay through their first two years in the league. Walker is 29 (in Aug). Clay just turned 24 (in Feb). Keller will be 29.

Look at the size/speed of these players....

Walker 6'1 245 (4.49 40) 36.5 vert, 1.65 10 split
Keller 6'2 245 (4.53 40) 38 vert, 1.62 10 split
Clay 6'3 245 (4.69) 33.5 vert, 1.55 10 split

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 26, 2013 11:55AM

Out on a limb....Tyler Eifert is going to be a starter...right away. He's an impact player and is worth #12. If we don't get him some other team will have landed a big "catch" guy. I'd add him for TD power!

Date: February 26, 2013 12:56PM

I second that. He is an instant difference maker IMO. If that isn't worth #12, I don't know what is.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 26, 2013 12:59PM

Date: February 26, 2013 01:09PM

650 yards and 4 TD's on a team that went undefeated against mediocre talent doesn't exactly scream difference maker... I think he is ok but not in a million years will this guy go in the top 15... I see him as a solid 2nd rd pick maybe late twenties early thirties in the 1st if someone really needs a TE and wants to reach.. Gronk, graham, Hernandez, none went in the 1st rd let alone 12 .. But you guys think Eifert deserves it, you guys be crazy...especially since Notre dames talent was severely questioned after getting embarrassed by Bama..

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 01:11PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 26, 2013 01:19PM

Eifert was a player of concern by opponents. He ran good routes, snagged errant passes, and disrupted defensive players on throws made to other team mates. He also blocked those same defensive players on running plays.

If we don't take him on our first pick at #12, we'll never see him as a possible round 2 selection because he will already be wearing a hat from some other lucky team. That's my, "out on a limb" opinion. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: February 26, 2013 01:27PM

Colonel-I have seen him ranked anywhere from 23 to 40.. So you maybe right, but that doesn't mean we reach and take him over a lot of other potential difference makes that might be available at 12 for us..

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 01:29PM by Crowder52.

Date: February 26, 2013 02:24PM

Krunk Fu Wrote:
> this TE thing really pisses me off. The year
> Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, etc were picked we take
> Jared Odrik, Koa Misi, John Jerry and we had a
> glaring need at TE
>
> There was an article published maybe a year ago
> which claimed that Ireland was really high on
> Jimmy Graham and badly wanted to draft him, but
> Parcells (post-departure) informed his buddy Sean
> Payton to snag Graham before we got the chance.
>
> Of course, I have no idea if that is true or not,
> but either way Ireland was clearly very high on
> Jimmy Graham going into that draft.

maybe so but he clearly wanted John Jerry more since he took him in the 3d instead of JG. the story is probably true bc Parcells is a POS

Date: February 26, 2013 02:25PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> 650 yards and 4 TD's on a team that went
> undefeated against mediocre talent doesn't exactly
> scream difference maker... I think he is ok but
> not in a million years will this guy go in the top
> 15... I see him as a solid 2nd rd pick maybe late
> twenties early thirties in the 1st if someone
> really needs a TE and wants to reach.. Gronk,
> graham, Hernandez, none went in the 1st rd let
> alone 12 .. But you guys think Eifert deserves it,
> you guys be crazy...especially since Notre dames
> talent was severely questioned after getting
> embarrassed by Bama..

this

Date: February 26, 2013 02:50PM

I have seen him mocked from 18-32 before his stock rose at the combine. To see him jump 6 spots is not that far fetched.

He had over 1800 yards and 11 td's in 3 years. As I said before, he outperformed almost all of the 1st round TE's in years past. Not many TE's put up huge numbers in college.

If ND's surrounding talent was questioned doesn't that make his production even more impressive? He also was the only ND player to make plays in the Bama game.

I would not be upset if we took him IF all of the top guys are gone.

These guys will likely be gone.....Joeckel, Sharrif Floyd, Jordan, Ansah, Fisher, Lane Johnson, Milliner, Werner, Warmack, Mingo, Cooper..

Those are the blue chippers IMO. Who does that leave?

No telling about Lotu and Jarvis Jones pending physicals.

If it's between Sheldon Richardson, Cordarelle, Trufant, Damontre Moore, Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes, Keenan Allen & Fluker...I am leaning toward the best TE in the draft.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 26, 2013 02:59PM

I wouldn't get two wrapped up in Eifert's stats.

The whole ND team only had 2900 yards passing.

If you watched them play this year they were ultra conservative with their freshman QB and won with defense.

The drop in his numbers really isn't on him so much as it is on his QB's and coaches.

I don't think I'd take eifert at #12. I think he will be a good, maybe great NFL TE but he doesn't have any one measurable that justifies being taken there.

I'd have no problem taking him 10-12 picks later if we traded down, but I don't think he's BPA at #12.

I think we might get a shot at one of the guys with medical red flags: Louetelei or Jarvis Jones.

Question is, do you take them?

I'd definitely take Jones and I'd probably role the dice on the big man as well.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 26, 2013 03:03PM

eesti Wrote:
> I have seen him mocked from 18-32 before his stock
> rose at the combine. To see him jump 6 spots is
> not that far fetched.
>
> He had over 1800 yards and 11 td's in 3 years. As
> I said before, he outperformed almost all of the
> 1st round TE's in years past. Not many TE's put up
> huge numbers in college.
>
> If ND's surrounding talent was questioned doesn't
> that make his production even more impressive? He
> also was the only ND player to make plays in the
> Bama game.
>
> I would not be upset if we took him IF all of the
> top guys are gone.
>
> These guys will likely be gone.....Joeckel,
> Sharrif Floyd, Jordan, Ansah, Fisher, Lane
> Johnson, Milliner, Werner, Warmack, Mingo,
> Cooper..

One of these guys will fall to us. Geno Smith will go in the top ten.

That's means its probably Cooper...who I'd be very happy with.

>
> Those are the blue chippers IMO. Who does that
> leave?
>
> No telling about Lotu and Jarvis Jones pending
> physicals.

Jones has Spinal Stenosis...narrowing of the spine. He's been cleared to play bit some teams will take him off the board regardless.

At 12...he's worth the risk.

>
> If it's between Sheldon Richardson, Cordarelle,
> Trufant, Damontre Moore, Vaccaro, Xavier Rhodes,
> Keenan Allen & Fluker...I am leaning toward the
> best TE in the draft.

Don't want any of them at #12. Not even the TE.

Date: February 26, 2013 03:03PM

Micheal Egnew put up 1285 and 8 TD's in 2 years of play.. Eifert put up 1488 and 9 TD's in his best 2 years.. I am just saying....

Nietzsche

Date: February 26, 2013 03:08PM

I would love Jarvis Jones at 12, if he truly can be cleared of his physical issues.. That guy was a beast against real talent week after week..

Nietzsche

Date: February 26, 2013 03:34PM

Egnew can't get on the field because he can't block. Eifert doesn't have the same problem. he worked at it and got better. Egnew never blocked in college.

I think it is all mute since I don't see Ireland taking a 1st round TE.

Jones has the same condition as the LT from SD. it cost him his career but a few others have been successful with it.

Not sure about Lotu because he measured way smaller than advertised. He was supposed to be more of a Nose than a 3 technique like Starks and Sharrif Floyd. Not sure how he fits since he measured so much smaller.

Date: February 26, 2013 03:51PM

I agree Eifert is a much better blocker in college then Egnew who wasn't really asked to block in college... I still like Fasano, on a TD starved offense the last 2 years, Fasano put up ten TD's, his yards went down but mainly becuase of his blocking duties.. We really need a primary pass catching TE opposite Fasano.. Like when we had David Martin a couple years back..

Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 27, 2013 09:12AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> 650 yards and 4 TD's on a team that went
> undefeated against mediocre talent doesn't exactly
> scream difference maker... I think he is ok but
> not in a million years will this guy go in the top
> 15... I see him as a solid 2nd rd pick maybe late
> twenties early thirties in the 1st if someone
> really needs a TE and wants to reach.. Gronk,
> graham, Hernandez, none went in the 1st rd let
> alone 12 .. But you guys think Eifert deserves it,
> you guys be crazy...especially since Notre dames
> talent was severely questioned after getting
> embarrassed by Bama..

I agree with you, Crowder, in that no TE should be drafted in the 1st round this year, at least not in the first 20 picks. But....

Because of the major success of TEs lately, teams just may look at TE and figure they can get one that will be an impact player just like Gronk, Graham, etc. So, don't be surprised to see at least one go early.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 28, 2013 05:53PM

There is a late round TE Vance Mcdonanld from Rice that is a sleeper

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 01, 2013 01:41AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> this TE thing really pisses me off. The year
> Gronk, Hernandez, Graham, etc were picked we take
> Jared Odrik, Koa Misi, John Jerry and we had a
> glaring need at TE.

At the time, we had just given Fasano a 3 year, $9M contract extension.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.