HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Salary Cap
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Salary Cap
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 01, 2013 09:57AM

It was reported that the 2013 salary cap is 121m. We can roll over 6 mil from last year which puts our cap at 127 mil.

Our current cap (including Dimitri Patterson signing) is $76,347,000. That leaves us roughly 50.6 mil of space. I'm not sure where the 48mil number that has been quoted comes from....

Included in that price is $1,590,000 in dead cap space. 1.1m of which is for contracting VD.

A few items of note....

Richie Incognito has a cap hit of $5,383,334 in 2013. We would save 4.3m if we cut him leaving a $1,083,334 cap hit for dead money.

Dimitri Patterson: 4.6 mil (no dead money) so that is a 4.6 mil savings.

Am I figuring this right? That would free up 8.9 mil just from releasing those two players?

50.6 + 8.9 = 59.5 mil

other potential savings....

Davone Bess 2.68 mil
Richard Marshall 4.6 mil
Dan Carpenter 2.7 mil

If I am figuring this right, releasing those 5 players would net us 18.88 more this year for a free cap number of 69.48 mil.

Yes Incog made the PB (as an alternate) and Bess is a crowd favorite but are they really worth the money? Bess should be a #3 or 4 WR. Incog was great at times but inconsistent and limited.

Couldn't the money be better spend on better players with more potential?

For instance Ben Grubs signed a FA deal last year going from the Ravens to the Saints as one of the best FA's guards available. He got a 5 year/36 mil deal (7.2m per year). 7.2 - 5.38 (Incog cap) = 1.82 mil extra this year for a player like Andy Levitre and I think we could get him cheaper.

Release Patterson and Marshall for a 9.2 mil savings. Surely we could upgrade thse two for 10 million.

I know this is a very simplistic approach and more like fantasy football than the real world but I have to agree with the Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert...When you are 8-8 the roster HAS TO CHANGE.

We should resign a few of our FA's but we are going to be in the market for a shopping spree whether than entails signing our own FA's or someone else's. There are about 20 positions that are going to need filling.

In the 2012 draft we filled 2 starting positions and 3 positions of significant playing time as backups.

In 2011 we filled 2 starting positions and 2 backup.

In 2010 we filled 3 starting and 1 backup.

All of those years we has the normal number of draft picks for the most part....one in each round. Several of those backup players are now starting in their second year.

This year we have two extra high picks. Hopefully we can fill at least 3 starting positions in the draft.

This year we have 5 positions up for grabs on offense and 4 on defense. If we fill 3 in the draft that leaves 6 positions to fill in free agency.

Who are the future FA starters?

Andy Levitre, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline, Gosder Cherilus, Terrance Newman, Jairus Byrd, Dennis Pitta. That would be about 46 million dollars (per year) by signing those players. We then sign our rookies for 7 or 8 mil (8 players). That leaves us 23 mil to fill in the rest of the roster.

That would leave us having to draft,,,WR, TE, DE, OG, CB, ILB, RB...

smoking smiley

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salary Cap
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 01, 2013 10:24AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 01, 2013 10:45AM

I'd extend Icognito and lower his cap number. He's the only pulling guard on our roster.

I wouldn't cut carpenter until someone proves in preseason he's better.

I wouldn't cut Patterson or Marshall until I had a better option committed to playing here.

Same is true for Bess.

But you make a good point eesti...

We are about $50mill under the cap and we have flexibility to create another 15 mill in cap space. Should make for an interesting off-season

Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 01, 2013 07:48PM

Don't know why Incognito gets such a bad rap. The guy is a mauler.

I love this guy's game. He didn't get to the pro-bowl because he is popular that's for sure. He got there because despite people hating playing him...they know he has an impact on the game!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 02, 2013 03:26AM

He gets his fair share of unsportsmanlike penalties at inopportune times.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 02, 2013 07:14AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 02, 2013 10:35AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He gets his fair share of unsportsmanlike
> penalties at inopportune times.

With the Fins?

I know that was his reputation prior to going to Miami, but I haven't heard of anything serious with him since.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: February 02, 2013 01:23PM

Topic 1: Dan Carpenter...I don't know what has happened to him, but his mind does not seem to be right over the last few years. When he first started out I thought he was amazing. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, but there are lots of kids coming out of college that have powerful legs, I would definitely look at a kid and save some money.

Topic 2: crash course from a gambling perspective if you pick the 49ers against a spread of what I believe is (-3.5) you need them to win by at least 4. Since about 20 percent of NFL games end with a score within 3 points most people that make money from sports investments sort of thing stay far away from spreads 3 or more on a favorite.

On the other hand, if you like the Ravens, the smart thing to do is look for a "moneyline". In some places you can get them at +160. Which means you receive 16 dollars for every 10 dollars wagered. That is, if the Ravens win the game.

In my semi-professional judgement, I do not like this super bowl because I feel it could go either way. smiling smiley

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: February 02, 2013 01:28PM

Addendum. some Kickers to consider:

Quinn Sharp from Oklahoma State
Dustin Hopkins, Florida State
Caleb Sturgis, Florida

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 02, 2013 04:43PM

I love richie. keep him, Patterson(at a reduced deal) and Fasano

Let Long hartline Smith, Mardhall go

Trade Thomas for Chris Ivory. Sign Christine Michael or Knile Davis in 4/5

Try to add WR, DB, OL & TE via FA

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: February 02, 2013 06:17PM

As for kickers - they need to make kicks. Too often teams underrate how important kickers are to winning. If the current kicker can't make kicks, then he must be replaced. Offseason is the time to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: February 03, 2013 08:44AM

I agree with what you said DolfanKing but you better be (as we used to say in Oklahoma) "Dee Damn Sure" when you let your kicker go that there is someone better who is going to replace him.

The problem is that some football fans, yourself included it seems, give kickers a lot shorter rope than other players.

They tend to look upon kickers like sausage makers as if so say, "Hey, what's the problem? You are being brought in to make sausages. You're a dime a dozen. If you miss making one sausage improperly, there's no excuse for it."

Did we get rid of Ypremian after the Washington Super Bowl which we almost lost because of his blocked kick pass?

Not saying that Carpenter is a Ypremian but just saying that should we bring in rival kickers and free agents in pre-season to challenge Carpenter????

Hell yeah!!!

That's a necessity.

Do we GET RID OF HIM and then seek to replace him with whatever is out there?????? Hell no.!

Date: February 03, 2013 09:08AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
> Do we GET RID OF HIM and then seek to replace him
> with whatever is out there?????? Hell no.!

Oh yea. I complete agree with that. You want whoever is brought in to compete for the job. But if between the two kickers all things are equal, then Carpenter is the one that gets his walking papers.

Date: February 03, 2013 09:26AM

"But if between the two kickers all things are equal, then Carpenter is the one that gets his walking papers."

Depends on who he is. If he's another vet, I agree.

If he's a rookie with no real game experience, I'd give the tip to Carpenter.

However, maybe I misunderstand you. Maybe you mean Carpenter should get his walking papers because of the money angle and the savings.

If you do, I'm not up on that stuff. I don't know.

Date: February 03, 2013 11:14AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> "But if between the two kickers all things are
> equal, then Carpenter is the one that gets his
> walking papers."
>
> Depends on who he is. If he's another vet, I
> agree.
>
> If he's a rookie with no real game experience, I'd
> give the tip to Carpenter.
>
> However, maybe I misunderstand you. Maybe you
> mean Carpenter should get his walking papers
> because of the money angle and the savings.
>
> If you do, I'm not up on that stuff. I don't
> know.

More than just money. Carpenter has been screwing up when it counts. We know that. We have proof of that. With the rookie, I agree, you don't know. But if the rookie beats Carpenter out in training camp, and then screws up when it counts, then the worst you've got is a Carpenter clone.

Then money and age comes into it. If we've got a younger kicker that makes less money, then we will be set at the position longer with less of a cap hit.

We will obviously bring in a rookie kicker. He will either not be as good as Carpenter, or he will be the next Dolphins kicker if he is as good.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 03, 2013 06:03PM

Need $60M cap room and some quick solid signings
Let the overpaid underachievers go or make them renegotiate their deals

very few worth keeping unless they take less $$

Date: February 04, 2013 04:42AM

Davone Bess had only a single TD while dropping eight passes. He is a 3rd receiver at best. I don't see him ever improving on his 2010 performance of 79/820/5. Is that really worth 2.7 mill a year?

Same for Carpenter....is he really worth 2.7mil? He was an UFA afterall and was the 26th ranked kicker for FG % in 2012. I may pay that for Adam Vinatiere in his prime but....It wasn't that long ago that Olindo Mare was one of the first million dollar kickers.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:40AM

You DO NOT cut Bess are you people smoking crack?

He dropped 8? How many did he snare out of the air that were way off target. He is widely accepted as one of the BEST slot receivers in the game.

Tannehill is the reason he did not catch more TD's.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 05, 2013 05:55AM

dolphin Wrote:
> You DO NOT cut Bess are you people smoking crack?
>
>
> He dropped 8? How many did he snare out of the air
> that were way off target. He is widely accepted as
> one of the BEST slot receivers in the game.
>
> Tannehill is the reason he did not catch more
> TD's.

Poppycock.

Bess had 11 TD's in 4 years prior to our even drafting Ryan Tannehill.

He never had more than 5 in one year over that span despite a few 70+ catch seasons.

Bess is a nice player with good hands and quickness, but he's slow as molasses so he doesn't get long TD's, and he's not that hard to cover in the redzone when the field compacts.

I'd trade him.

He has some value but he's limited to the slot and as our head coach has said often enough, he wants 5 wr's who are interchangeable and can play all of the WR positions in his offense.

Bess isn't one of those guys.

Date: February 05, 2013 06:23AM

He also said we need to add play-makers.

Most say we need to resign Hartline, add a top FA, even if it is Jennings and draft a WR and TE high.

That pushes Bess down in the pecking order and rightfully so. If Bess is still the number 2 or 3 option in 2013 then we are not a better offense and are stagnating.

I can also see Mathews stepping up as he fits the mold for this offense. He has already proven he is better than some of our past developmental players like Armstrong, Wallace, Moore, London, Pruitt. Those guys just hang around and take up space and never step up when needed.

We also have Fuller in the wings and will see what he's about this offseason.

If we can get a 4th or 5th rounder for Bess then GREAT. If not then we don't need to be paying a 4th or 5th WR 2.7 million a year.

Like Truth said Bess is not interchangeable. He may be able to play the positions but he only excells in the slot as a possession receiver with no big play ability. He would probably be a little better with two more capable guys on the outside but not for his current price tag. I think we can upgrade the big play ability and speed in the slot with a bigger guy that can also be of value in the red zone.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 05, 2013 08:34AM

I understood getting rid of Marshall last year without a backup plan...didn't like it, but understood. He was toxic and expensive.

Bess is a good guy to have on the team and serves an important role. He does have some HUGE gaps in his game, namely speed but also being a red-zone impact. However, you don't get rid of guys like him without an upgrade, in my opinion. If you have a better, younger, faster, cheaper guy you trust on 3rd downs, then by all means. For us, I don't think that guy's on the team yet.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 05, 2013 09:42AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> Bess is a good guy to have on the team and serves
> an important role. He does have some HUGE gaps in
> his game, namely speed but also being a red-zone
> impact. However, you don't get rid of guys like
> him without an upgrade, in my opinion. If you
> have a better, younger, faster, cheaper guy you
> trust on 3rd downs, then by all means. For us, I
> don't think that guy's on the team yet.

Trade Bess, sign Welker.

Date: February 05, 2013 10:09AM

That would be cool. Can you imagine this offense?

QB Tannehill

LT Jon Martin
LG Andy Levitre
C Mike Pouncey
RG Incognito
RT Lane Johnson/John Jerry

RB Lamar Miller

TE Tyler Eifert

WR Greg Jennings
WR Brian Hartline
WR Wes Welker
WR Terrence Williams (Baylor)
WR Rishard Mathews

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 05, 2013 10:17AM

eesti leave some of that daydreaming for me too. smileys with beer

Date: February 05, 2013 11:04AM

Yeah that's about 24 million just in WR's. lol

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 05, 2013 11:04AM

montequi Wrote:
> tsstamper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bess is a good guy to have on the team and
> serves
> > an important role. He does have some HUGE gaps
> in
> > his game, namely speed but also being a
> red-zone
> > impact. However, you don't get rid of guys
> like
> > him without an upgrade, in my opinion. If you
> > have a better, younger, faster, cheaper guy you
> > trust on 3rd downs, then by all means. For us,
> I
> > don't think that guy's on the team yet.
>
> Trade Bess, sign Welker.

Welker is a damn good receiver, but can Miami really afford to pay him for what he would be asking?

Date: February 05, 2013 11:15AM

If they didnt pay welker when he was worth it......I dont think they will pay him now that his career is going downhill.

Date: February 05, 2013 03:30PM

I wouldn't say "downhill" is the right word. I'd say the right word is about to go "over the hill." He's getting old for a receiver. He probably is about to go onto the downside of his career.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 05, 2013 04:08PM

tsstamper Wrote:
> I understood getting rid of Marshall last year
> without a backup plan...didn't like it, but
> understood. He was toxic and expensive.
>
> Bess is a good guy to have on the team and serves
> an important role. He does have some HUGE gaps in
> his game, namely speed but also being a red-zone
> impact. However, you don't get rid of guys like
> him without an upgrade, in my opinion. If you
> have a better, younger, faster, cheaper guy you
> trust on 3rd downs, then by all means. For us, I
> don't think that guy's on the team yet.

Say the fins can re-sign Hartline, who was 10th in the NfL with 11 catches on targets more than 20 yards downfield. Say the fins can then sign Greg Jennings. Then say they can draft a WR with some size and speed in rounds one or two. Then say the can draft Ryan Swope in the 4th round, and he competes for the #4 WR spot with Matthews and Binns. And say they add a better pass catching threat at TE. Do you really think Bess would be missed that much? And what if Bess could be traded for a 3rd round pick?

It is not a given that Bess will be on this team in 2013. He was not a guy who produced TDs with Chad Pennington at QB, or any QB who has come after him. I like Bess a lot. But, he has a limited skill set. And it may be Tim to move on.

Date: February 06, 2013 05:38AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I wouldn't say "downhill" is the right word. I'd
> say the right word is about to go "over the hill."
> He's getting old for a receiver. He probably is
> about to go onto the downside of his career.

Fair enough. I agree.

what you say is what i meant though. Meaning he isnt getting any younger.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.