Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is it Smart to over-react to PreSeason Games?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is it Smart to over-react to PreSeason Games?
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: August 18, 2012 05:42AM

When has the first two preseason games ever been a reliable predicter of actual team performance?

Is not the current poor performance of the team pretty much where we should be at this stage of the off-season with new coaching installs and a kinder gentler training camp (thanks CBA)?

Our double field training camp and up tempo has allowed the Phins to get more reps...but, it is still a compressed learning experience with physical limits as seen by having several of our starters sit this game out. We certainly should be in better shape then at the beginning of last season...but, some of our older guys are just tired.

Game 3 is the only preseason game that has real game planning and extended starter play. It is as close as you can get to simulating a regular season game. If we don't show real signs of life in this game then we will certainly be off to another slow start.

In the next two games our O-line must solidify. Our defensive line must start applying pressure to the QB. These two areas are foundational to our success.

I've seen too many preseason games to ignore problems or over-react to the first two games.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it Smart to over-react to PreSeason Games?
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 18, 2012 06:06AM

Unfortunately our team looks worse than any of the other teams I've seen during the preseason so far.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 18, 2012 06:35AM

No it isn't smart...but we do have quite alot of work to do in the next two weeks.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: August 18, 2012 06:42AM

well that depends on what you are looking at... if you look at preseason record then lets see past 4 years for us

Miami dolphins
2011 3-1
2010 2-2
2009 4-0
2008 3-1

on that bases there is clearly noooo correlation to what the regular season will bring. Why? cause the ones only play for a quarter and you could be down 10-0 but when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th units comes in anything can happen and you could win 17-10 so that means nothing.

However during the first 3 possessions of the game when your ones goes against the other teams ones and you get dominated on both sides of the ball for 2 straight games then yes pal that tells you everything. dolphin carolina first 3 posession 17-0 and 12 first down to only 1 for us... OWNED! Im just saying...

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: August 18, 2012 06:45AM

oh i forgot first 2 posession were 3 and out to a team that ranked 28th in total defense and were down 3 startes lol... if we get more than 4 wins this year we did good.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 18, 2012 06:45AM

MReppa the chargers went 0-4 one preseason and made it to the superbowl that year.

I know we will not even make the playoffs but im just saying.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: August 18, 2012 07:51AM

>
> on that bases there is clearly noooo correlation
> to what the regular season will bring. Why? cause
> the ones only play for a quarter and you could be
> down 10-0 but when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th units
> comes in anything can happen and you could win
> 17-10 so that means nothing.
>
> However during the first 3 possessions of the game
> when your ones goes against the other teams ones
> and you get dominated on both sides of the ball
> for 2 straight games then yes pal that tells you
> everything. dolphin carolina first 3 posession
> 17-0 and 12 first down to only 1 for us... OWNED!

Uh, fortunately most regular season games aren't won or lost based on the first possessions. Some teams actually get better as the game goes on.
> Im just saying...

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: August 18, 2012 10:19AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MReppa the chargers went 0-4 one preseason and
> made it to the superbowl that year.
>
> I know we will not even make the playoffs but im
> just saying.

Preseason games, in actuality, do mean something. Every team wants to win, but naturally, if they don't, it's not the end of the world. But, the main thing about preseason is how the guys play, both individually and as a team. This is also the time for coaches to see if their game plans can work, or they have to tweak the plays. Who can do what? The team loses, but plays pretty well (at least they LOOK like an NFL team), then it can be considered a success.

Again, how the team plays is the key for the preseason. They play like crap for all four games, then that is quite often a tell-tale sign of what is to come for the regular season.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 18, 2012 10:22AM

The main point of preseason is to find the best 53 guys on the team.

Period.

ps Is it 53?

Date: August 18, 2012 03:08PM

Philbin is just playing Possum......eye rolling smiley

Date: August 20, 2012 05:26AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Philbin is just playing Possum......eye rolling smiley

Either that or he needs some cuban coffee in his diet.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: August 20, 2012 08:33AM

The first quarter of the second preseason game, and the first half of the third preseason game are the barometers to the season.

No one panics after game one. But that Q1 performance last week was dreadful. If this team doesn't get its act together this week, we know we'll be in for a rough start to the season.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 20, 2012 09:30AM

It's an entirely different atmosphere than a regular season game. Some guys are just playing not to get hurt before payday.

If we open up week 1 flat then you can worry.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 20, 2012 09:35AM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> The first quarter of the second preseason game,
> and the first half of the third preseason game are
> the barometers to the season.
>
> No one panics after game one. But that Q1
> performance last week was dreadful. If this team
> doesn't get its act together this week, we know
> we'll be in for a rough start to the season.

There is always hope. We have a real shot of winning the first 3 games of the season.

EEsti wrote: It's an entirely different atmosphere than a regular season game. Some guys are just playing not to get hurt before payday.

I agree.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 23, 2012 03:17AM

Here's a look at the other teams in the AFC East through the first 2 PS games.....

Record
NE 1-1
BUF 0-2
NYJ 0-2
MIA 0-2

Points Scored
MIA 24
NE 24
BUF 20
NYJ 9

Points Allowed
MIA 43
NYJ 43
BUF 42
NE 33

Are we really that much worse than the other teams? Just shows to take PS with a grain of salt.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:12AM

eesti Wrote:
> Here's a look at the other teams in the AFC East
> through the first 2 PS games.....
>
> Record
> NE 1-1
> BUF 0-2
> NYJ 0-2
> MIA 0-2
>
> Points Scored
> MIA 24
> NE 24
> BUF 20
> NYJ 9
>
> Points Allowed
> MIA 43
> NYJ 43
> BUF 42
> NE 33
>
> Are we really that much worse than the other
> teams? Just shows to take PS with a grain of salt.

A huge grain of salt.

I haven't seen the other teams games so I can't say how our preseason stacks up against theirs, but those stats don't accurately reflect what we've done. A large part of our offensive production has come from 3rd teamers versus 3rd teamers, very few of whom will be in the leagues in two weeks.

On the defensive side of the ball, our starters and 2nd team have been killed. And the 3rd stringers have given up few points.

There's more than enough reason to be very concerned.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:30AM

My concern is the lack of production out of the ones.

If that were'nt so bad I'd be okay with it, but we've been owned with our ones against other ones.

- Defense in particular looks horrible.

Yes I buy that we've had some guys out, but so have other teams.

- Yes I also buy the QB competition has put us in a predictabgle pass only mode, which will improve when we start running the ball (if we can run it).

We need to see something better in terms of overall chemistry. In that jobs are on the line ... we'll see a lot more effort I'm sure.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 23, 2012 09:15AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> A large part of our offensive
> production has come from 3rd teamers versus 3rd
> teamers, very few of whom will be in the leagues
> in two weeks.

RESPONSE: That's the traditional way of looking at it. A bold and unconventional outlook is that talent rises and produces in every setting.

Dan Marino and Marks Duper and Clayton burned up the preseason with Woodley the Number one quarterback playing with the number one team. No doubt people said, "Well after all he's playing with second stringers and 3rd stringers and playing AGAINST second and third stringers.

Funny thing, when he AND HIS MAGIC MARKERS were put in against first stringers all across the league, he did the same thing.

I'm not a big fan of this royal blood thing wherein we view the first stringers (whether from this team or trades from other teams) as being the best and the second stringers, rookies and sign-ons as being inferior.

I say if an Igcognito or John Jerry, or even a Jonathan Martin is not producing, bench his butt and put in one of those hungry guys or a guy who is fearing getting cut.

Don't assume that the third stringer will experience a drop-off when he plays against the oppostion's first string.

Like Chris Hogan for example. He should be starting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.