Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          First post in a long time. Random thoughts.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
First post in a long time. Random thoughts.
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: August 23, 2012 03:59AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First post in a long time. Random thoughts.
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:13AM

Good post agree with most.

I think the strongest need is in items 1 & 2 of other thoughts.

1. Defense has to step up and early. I'm still steaming over the first 6 -7 games last year. With all the reps we've had they should be much tighter than they have shown.

- Hoping when they get Dansby and wakew back in the line up it looks different, but expected much more out of the depth of this defense than we've seen thus far.

2. WRs what the heck, need to see a lot more. I do buy that the QB competition has made us 1 dimensional, thus 80% pass to run ratio. Tha's a ridiculous but true stat.

- The run will set up the pass better, but as stated in # 1 the defense needs to give the offense some support or we'll be passing just to keep up. They go hand in hand.

These two areas will go a long way towards defining success or not for Ryan Tannehill.

In that we face tough defenses in the first 5 games, we need to come out the gate with a strong defense. If they come out looking like last year, its gonna be ugly.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:31AM

Regarding the defense, my fear of going to a 4-3 without a legitimate MLB may be justified. I'm still not sure Dansby can play MLB effectively, but we'll see. Clearly our biggest weakness on defense this year has been with the LBs.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 23, 2012 05:47AM

I really wanted to keep the coaching staff from last year. I did not want to run a new O and D I liked Daboll and Nolan but

I hope the Philbin hire works

I like Tannehill did not like the pick but now I think it was right.

I would not mind if Gates is a straight line blazer we need that. he can pick up the rest as he goes. Hope the light goes on for this guy we need that speed.

I agree this team needs leaders, I thought Zach and Taylor were poor leaders. We need Ray Lewis and Ed Reed types.

Put the fork in Jerry I pulled for this guy but he is a veteran and is taking away valuable time just to get him in shape. That time could be used in some other positive way. he should know that by now, he is not a rookie.

The same w/ V Davis. Trade both of them for whatever you can get. The msg needs to get out we are not here to have fun. We want to win a SB.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 23, 2012 06:42AM

Jerry won't get us anything in a trade, but trading Davis is feasible. Unfortunately, because of his struggles last year, he won't be worth as much as he should be.

Date: August 23, 2012 07:04AM

In the NFL, a straight line blazer is very rare. Most WRs have to do much more than run straight and catch the ball. They usually have to run some slants (which requires some guts) and outs (which requires good footwork). Also, all WRs have to be able to get off the line, which some struggle with. All that said, if Gates is able to get off the line and catch the ball, if his game is strictly based on speed then he has to be considerably faster than guy lined up across from him.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 23, 2012 07:11AM

Excellent post. I’m an accord with your overall outlook and insights…

The LOS will help Thill a ton – on both sides of the ball. We need Jerry and Martin to make it happen and also Odrick with solid production from OV. You also mention Misi who I still have hopes for, but I’m not sure he has the dynamic explosiveness to be a legit impact guy on the field. But if those 3 dudes develop into serious NFL players it will go a long way to making this team legit. Note: I really like Josh Kaddu’s athletic explosiveness and wouldn’t be surprised if he finds a way to make some impact rushing the passer.

Right now the team seems to have a lot of upside, but so much is based on unresolved “questions” it’s not likely all the answers will be positive.

Can Thill be a functional NFL QB this year? Not “great.” Just functional.
Can 2 or 3 young WRs develop their games as real NFL Pros?
Will the OL mesh on the R side?
Can the S position be executed at a solid level week in and week out?
Can we get some consistent disruption via pass rush?

My basic keys to success:

KISS = keep it simple. Run the ball effectively. Use a controlled passing game. Move the chains. Stretch the field horizontally to create space (get Reggie the ball in space). Take advantage of Thill’s mobility and throw-on-the-run accuracy. Make a few big plays when the opportunity is there. Score TDs in the red zone.

On D: win at the LOS. Get penetration and get up field in a hurry. Be “tough” in the middle of the field. Find creative ways to get Wake some operating room. Swarm to the football. Play like a cohesive unit. Create turnovers and make some big plays…

Sounds easy but we all know that’s a lie.

Ha!

BNF

Date: August 23, 2012 07:18AM

Good thoughts BNF. I really want to see Bush get the ball in space, as you said. Some teams excel at doing that with their RBs. Others struggle. We need to develop that ability.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.