Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is our offense as sorry as James Walker says it is?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is our offense as sorry as James Walker says it is?
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:21PM

Frankly I am tired of this writer bashing our team take away Brandon big mouth Marshall, and add some newer parts plus more speed at tight end.
And I say our offense will be better than last year's simply because of a new staff, and a better system designed around the strength of the players, and not just a power running team on 1st and 2nd down. Essentially we will run an offense similar to many NFL teams with comparable talent however Walkers seems to feel that our offensive players especially our wide receivers will be offensive to our team at best. The question is why? I think with a motivated Chad Johnson, and a healthy Hartline, and Bess and big targets in Roberto Wallace and Jeff Fuller we will be good enough at the position to create mismatches, and score many points if we stay healthy as a team. Do you guys agree with my thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is our offense as sorry as James Walker says it is?
Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:28PM

So far, there is nothing to indicate our offense doesn't suck.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: July 17, 2012 06:57PM

James Walker:
"The Dolphins have a quarterback controversy. They have no dynamic receivers, and the right side of the offensive line is entirely new. Other than that, Miami's offense is fine."

Walker is an idiot. His opinion isn't any better than any Joe Schmoe armchair quarterback at home with a laptop. What he or anyone else writes doesn't matter to me, but I don't expect to read nice things until this team starts winning to shut people up.

1st - There isn't a controversy, there's a competition & there should be.

2nd - I bet Chad Johnson catches more TD's passes than Marshall dropped.

3rd - The right side of the offensive line needed to be entirely new. Everyone but Walker knew it had to be done, so it goes to show how much he knows. He's probably a Columbo homer and a big fan of fist pumps.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: July 17, 2012 10:09PM

Our offense was made significantly weaker this offseason with the combination of moves we DID make and DIDN'T make. Say what you want about Brandon Marshall, but this teams WR corps looks pitiful now without him on the roster. There is no way we are more dangerous now on offense WITHOUT Marshall than with him. The only thing we did improve was our offensive line, and that's hopefully. Obviously the impact of the new rookie RT we added remains to be seen, but I'd say we are most likely markedly better on the O-line now.

At WR all we did was lose an elite playmaker who in spite of his drops, STILL made us better being on the team than not being on the team. We added a QB with a lot of question marks who probably won't even play much this season, let alone be great immediately. I haven't felt as bad about our offense since Cleo Lemon was under center and we went 1-15. I guess Chad Johnson is supposed to be a reason to be positive but if Tom Brady couldn't get anything out of him and he's been relatively useless going on 3 years now, I don't know how much he'll be able to help us.

That being said, I really want us to succeed obviously and I hope Ryan Tannehill turns out to be a stud and we somehow make up for our glaring deficits at WR by running a disciplined WCO that someone enables the group we do have to excell in spite of not having any elite talent among them.

Date: July 18, 2012 03:29AM

Some of you are buying into the B. S. big time. How do you know we don't have elite talent? When did you lose your job as an NFL talent evaluator?
I am just saying that not having Marshall want the ball on every play will open our passing game to other receivers. say what you want, but Hartline can Plan so can Bess. Hell a motivated Johnson can't hurt. So the media say's were weak at wide receiver, and some on this board are buying into it. Well not me because I remember that it's scheme and match ups that win as well as the players. I think we will be just fine. Remember we are starting the season with Mr. Roboto at QB that in itself will make all the receivers better.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 18, 2012 03:49AM

Its all about the QB.

Yes, we don't have a ton of PROVEN talent at WR. That doesn't mean we don't have talent there.

Yes we have a new right side of the o-line. But last years right side was the worst in football so that should be a positive, not a negative.

Garrard is the best QB not named Pennington that we've had since Marino retired.

If he's healthy, our offense should be solid.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: July 18, 2012 04:32AM

More importantly the players are talking about how Garrard is a great fit in this offense. Even Hartline, who is best friends with Matt Moore admits it.

This can only be a good thing.

The media likes to ignore how we finished the season last year. That tells me a lot about the character of this team. They didn't quit when many would have.

We went 6-3 over the final 9 games with losses only to Dallas, Philly and NE. All teams with tons of talent.

We lost to Dallas by ONE point.

We lost to Philly by 16 points after losing Matt Moore and Jake Long. We gave up 9 sacks. 4 of them before Moore left.

"Moore threw only his second interception in the past six games, lost a fumble and was sacked four times" Not a good effort by Moore.

We also lost to NE by 3 points.

Most of our players are returning. The ones that are not won't be missed much. Marshall had 27 yards receiving vs Philly.

Like The Truth says...IT IS all about the QB on offense. Gerrard made the PB in 09 and actually played better in 2010 with much better numbers and increased his pass % from 60.9% to 64.5%.

He did it with average receivers and only MJD as the main talent on offense.

Mike Sims-Walker had his best year by far with DG at QB. 869/7 tds. Without DG he did not fare so well. 562/7 td's. What has he done since? Nothing. he played for 3 teams in a 2011 and had no TD's.

Mike Thomas with DG: 820/4
Mike Thomas without DG: 415/1

Both of these guys had their breakout years with DG @ QB. It's not that big of a stretch to think our WR's won't have their best years as well.

Our WR talent is better than Jax was in 09 and 2010.

They get a full off-season to train as opposed to last year when they had a couple weeks. Hence the slow start for a rebuilding team.

We are behind the 8-ball and play in a tough division. We will definitely be battling NE for any chance at the division but NY and Buffalo are no better off than we are. Maybe a slight edge to NY but we did beat them to kick them out of the playoffs twice in the last 3 years.

So Buffalo is now a playoff team b/c they signed Mario Williams and a guy that has had two 10 sack seasons in 6 years? I don't think so.

Remember a very unusual stat. 5 teams that make the playoff will not return the following year. This has been going on for many years. That means 5 new teams will make it.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 04:36AM by eesti.

Date: July 18, 2012 08:25AM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Garrard is the best QB not named Pennington that
> we've had since Marino retired.
>

Gerrard is the best QB since Pennington, but I'd put Garrard between Gus Ferotte and Fiedler. He's not that good.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: July 18, 2012 10:21AM

We will be fine Philbin says he plans on running 90 plays a game, breaking all records for offensive efficiency... What is there to be worried about.... hahahahaha

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 18, 2012 11:14AM

I posted a thread a while back about Walker being so negative.
Since that post he's mostly been a little less negative, I'm sure just a cooincidence, and not because of it.

- He seems to be liked and supported some of the more glass half empty posters on this site

I'm not impressed and have been offended by some of his artciles.

I don't think there's any answer to the Fins critics until we do it on the field. That said, I am more optimistic because we have the same talent that finished 6 & 3 and added some quality coaching and talent to the team.

Most of the media and many fans just bemoan from what they read from other articles and are too lazy to think through what has changed and see any potential.

There's another group who are so invested that if their team loses they have no life and thus are afraid to have any optimism for fear of being dashed. Sad but true.

I expect we will be much better than all the nay sayers, due to conditioning, better scheme and a much better player attitude and football intellect by the coaching. I certainly hope so anyway ... and am excited about having an offense with some pazzazz for a change!

Go Phins!

Date: July 18, 2012 12:03PM

Just think what a healthy Lamar Miller does for our backfield with Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. I mean come On Egnew is a seam threat tight end, and don't forget about Les brown 240 LBS, and ran 4.4 40 yard dash. I think we will be better on offense. Maybe not be by a lot, but enough to win some of those close games that we lost last year.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: July 18, 2012 02:31PM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Garrard is the best QB not named Pennington
> that
> > we've had since Marino retired.
> >
>
> Gerrard is the best QB since Pennington, but I'd
> put Garrard between Gus Ferotte and Fiedler. He's
> not that good.

To each his own, but Garrard's career numbers are far better than theirs and he did it with less talent.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: July 18, 2012 03:16PM

Finshady Wrote:
> Just think what a healthy Lamar Miller does for
> our backfield with Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas.

Thats 100% wishful thinking. Doesn't mean it won't come to fruition, but the guy hasn't played one down in the NFL yet. It's opinions like that, that our offense is going to be sooo much better because of a rookie RB we drafted in the middle of the draft, that I have a hard time getting behind.

And hearing things like "oh our conditioning is going to be the difference" Really our conditioning? What top secret conditioning plan do we have in place that is going to make Davone Bess get great seperation all of a sudden or make any of our project WR's #1 targets all of a sudden, or make Brian Harltine suddenyl able to out run Darrell Revis?

Or "the scheme will be our saving grace" Like this magic scheme is going to somehow magically turn our sub-par WR corp into a super highly productive or elite group just seems kind of baseless to me. It's wishful thinking. I too wish it happens but I'm just not automatically living under the assumption that that is what will happen. I have no reason to think we will somehow see some MASSIVE improvement in our offense or HUGE improvement in our WR's. I just don't think anything that has happened or is happening suggests that that is the case.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: July 18, 2012 03:21PM

Who cares what anyone "predicts" about the Fins?

This is basically a whole new team, with new coaches and new schemes. Training camp is going to determine alot about the team.

I am only interested in how our guys play during the regular season, not by what any "reporter" says.

Date: July 18, 2012 03:38PM

Panteraize Wrote:
> Finshady Wrote:
> -----
> > Just think what a healthy Lamar Miller does for
> > our backfield with Reggie Bush and Daniel
> Thomas.
>
>
> Thats 100% wishful thinking. Doesn't mean it won't
> come to fruition, but the guy hasn't played one
> down in the NFL yet. It's opinions like that, that
> our offense is going to be sooo much better
> because of a rookie RB we drafted in the middle of
> the draft, that I have a hard time getting
> behind.
>
> And hearing things like "oh our conditioning is
> going to be the difference" Really our
> conditioning? What top secret conditioning plan do
> we have in place that is going to make Davone Bess
> get great seperation all of a sudden or make any
> of our project WR's #1 targets all of a sudden, or
> make Brian Harltine suddenyl able to out run
> Darrell Revis?
>
> Or "the scheme will be our saving grace" Like this
> magic scheme is going to somehow magically turn
> our sub-par WR corp into a super highly productive
> or elite group just seems kind of baseless to me.
> It's wishful thinking. I too wish it happens but
> I'm just not automatically living under the
> assumption that that is what will happen. I have
> no reason to think we will somehow see some
> MASSIVE improvement in our offense or HUGE
> improvement in our WR's. I just don't think
> anything that has happened or is happening
> suggests that that is the case.

Agree.

Not that having a different coach than Tony Soprano or a different QB than Henne are reasons to get excited.

But I'll wait to see this team against actual competition before saying that things changed for the better.

If people don't think it can get worse than 6-10, they've obviously forgotten Cam Cameron or Wanny's last season. No, it can get much, much worse.

Date: July 19, 2012 05:01AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: July 19, 2012 07:31AM

when the phins prove that they are a good team then writers will print good things about them. Potential does not pay the bills. I feel good about the O they made some good moves. I like Gerrad he is the best qb we have had since Pennington. Feidler would be a jock strap holder if he stood next to Gerrard.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: July 19, 2012 09:55AM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: July 19, 2012 01:21PM

Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:04AM

More proof that you don't need qualifications or ability of any kind to write a blog:

"The Dolphins will stage a three-way quarterback competition and there’s a chance neither player -- Matt Moore, David Garrard or Ryan Tannehill -- is the answer."

You can't use the word "neither" when you're talking about more than two choices!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:29AM

Date: July 20, 2012 06:18AM

You guys sound like whiny p*ss**s. Walker just writes it like he see's. I would give our offense an I over a D but overall the guy is not that far off base.

Date: July 20, 2012 06:33AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> You guys sound like whiny p*ss**s. Walker just
> writes it like he see's.

That is awesome! I couldnt agree more... I have never had a problem with the guy... THere are alot of questions on our team still, and we have had 3 consecutive losing seasons, but people want us to be a contender so bad they just make shit up to believe at the same time bash the realist philosophy... It is the offseason, who cares? What people want to speculate about, it doesnt mean sh*t... It seems if you dont say how great we are, you are a bad fan in some people eyes. I would say some people want us to be a contender so bad they are unrealistic and a bit dellusional...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2012 09:56AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: July 20, 2012 08:29AM

Date: July 20, 2012 08:59AM

This guy does not criticize he simply states his obesrvation of the team and they are pretty damn accurate. Screw folks if they cannot handle the truth and the simple fact that this guy gets paid to write his observation and not what they want to read. From Walkers writing I cannot tell if he is a fan or favors one team over the other. Yeah NE BUF an the Jets look better than us on paper although our team has a lot of potential. Yeah we look pathetic by signing a loud mouth jerk like Chad Ocho who god forbid makes the team will be the same egotistical ahole he has always been.

his detractors sound like a bunch of women

Date: July 20, 2012 09:47AM

I have no problem with him stating an opinion. I would rather be the underdog any day.

Not that has any real insight.

Number one: How can you say Miami has the worst coaching (tied with Buffalo) when Philbin hasn't even coached yet? Pretty stupid statement although I agree with Gailey being the worst. At lease he has a track record. He has no idea if Philbin will be the next Cam Cameron or Mike Tomlin.

Doesn't stop him from drooling all over Buffalo just because they signed a pass rusher and paid him more than any defensive player in NFL history. Willaims is now in the top 5 for NFL salaries. This is a guy who has averaged 8.8 sacks a year for his career.

He is picking Buffalo to pick up at least 3 more wins this year. Last I looked they picked ahead of us in the draft and were worse off than we were in 2011.

One free agent signing has fixed all that? hmmmm. Doesn't change the fact that Fitz has thrown 68 career TD's and 65 int's. He threw 23 last year! No way Gerrard throws near that much.

They may have a pretty good d-line but it doesn't do much good when you have no linebackers.

Chan Gailey has never impressed me. Especially as a head coach.

Yes... Miami has many unanswered questions going into this year but so does Buffalo and NY.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: July 20, 2012 10:18AM

Eesti- whether we like or not Joe Philbin has never been a HC at any level, not even high school and Mike SHerman was just fired from his college HC job.. There are alot of question surrounding our coaches... I do like Philbin, but he has a whole lot to prove...We got rid of one of the best D cordinators in the biz, in Nolan, for Colye. While I am rooting for Coyle, he has alot to live up to following a defensive genius like Nolan...
THere are alot of unknowns abut this team, and anyone that pretends to have the answers about the unknowns are full of sh*t... Until we prove otherwise, we shouldnt be getting alot of respect... WHich is fine with me, lets prove it and then be proud of our team for what they actual aaccomplish on the field.. Not makeup unrealistic expectations, to make us feel better about our lack of success over the last decade.. None of that matters, all that matters is how many wins we have next year and what we do on the football field... How people speculate about sucess or failure of our team before they even play an actual game is meaningless...

Nietzsche

Date: July 20, 2012 11:00AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: July 20, 2012 11:28AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> mizzou15 Wrote:
> -----
> > You guys sound like whiny p*ss**s. Walker just
> > writes it like he see's.
>
> That is awesome! I couldnt agree more... I have
> never had a problem with the guy... THere are alot
> of questions on our team still, and we have had 3
> consecutive losing seasons, but people want us to
> be a contender so bad they just make shit up to
> believe at the same time bash the realist
> philosophy... It is the offseason, who cares?
> What people want to speculate about, it doesnt
> mean sh*t... It seems if you dont say how great we
> are, you are a bad fan in some people eyes. I
> would say some people want us to be a contender so
> bad they are unrealistic and a bit dellusional...

Ok, Crowder and mizzou, Since Jimmie Walker is so spot on, can you explain how the Dolphins expect Chad to be the #1 receiver, coming off his stellar season with the Patsies where he racked up 15 receptions on the year? I don't understand that logic at all.

And try to make your point without calling people names and cursing, if you can.

Date: July 20, 2012 11:43AM

Then what in the heck we signed Chad Ocho for.... just to give him a paycheck. Sorry about the swearing I just don't tolerate whiny idiots that well.

I don't have to explain **** the Dolphins signed him you go asked them.

As I said I don't suffer idiots well. <-- My point

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.