Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who would you keep Marshall or Hartline?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who would you keep Marshall or Hartline?
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:03AM

Poll
Who would you keep if you had to make a choice?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
27 votes were received.
Hartline 12

44%
Marshall 15

56%

Can i ask you guys a question?

If you had a choice of keeping either marshall or hartline who would you keep.?

Let the record show both are playing with a way below average QB.

Who do you think is a better receiver at this point?

Who makes more clutch catches?

NOTE: Whos faster? Thats an easy one. One is about 50 pounds heavier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smiling smiley

Note2: You are witnesses of who makes more clutch catches between the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 07:06AM by samsam3738.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who would you keep Marshall or Hartline?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:09AM

geez, look at the catches, yards, and TDs which is all the matters. Hartline is good for a circus catch or 2 but that's it, otherwise he barely registers. WHY are people so desperate to get rid of one of our best players? I didn't even vote b/c the question is so nuts.

Date: December 20, 2011 07:16AM

I disagree berk. On top of been a thug and a head case...........WIth all those tantrums and penalties on purpose on the field............Marshall is not the great player people make him out to be.

He has 1000 yards because out of every 25 passes about 19 go his way....Btw he drops a few of them too.

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: December 20, 2011 07:54AM

Hartline has a bit of rocks in his socks, he seems kind of slow.
Marshall has rocks on his hands, the opposite of soft hands.

Pick your poison smiling smiley

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:00AM

Sam, why do you continue to greatly over state the facts in regard to Marshall? The facts are that he has only been thrown at, to date, 31% of the time. You're stating that he gets the ball thrown to him a whopping 76% of the time here.

405 pass attempts, Marshall has been targeted 126 times.

Yes, he's a bit of a head case, and yes he drops too many passes, (he's caught 55% of his targets) but there are issues that go beyond him in this equation.

By comparisson, Bess has been targeted 72 times, or 18% of the time...and he's caught a slightly better 58%.

Marshall simply isn't bad.

And, Hartline should be the one getting replaced. He simply dosen't do enough. Targeted just 12% (52 times) of the time and he's caught 55%, or 29 of them) This suggests that he simply isn't getting open.

An upgrade to Hartline would make the other guys better immediately and an upgrade to Fasano and Hartline makes entire team immediatelly better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 08:11AM by Ken.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:05AM

Too easy, Hartline.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:16AM

I can't vote. One is completely absent and the other drops easy balls.

Date: December 20, 2011 08:18AM

I honestly believe Hartline is more absent because we have to "massage" marshall's ego.

BTW, Hartline made some spectacular catches against the Bills, when thrown the ball. He always makes catches like that.

---------------------

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:27AM

It depends on what we get in return. If we get rid of Hartline we'll probably get nothing. If we can get a Pro-Bowl caliber WR to replace Marshall, then I'd be fine getting rid of him.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: December 20, 2011 08:37AM

Do you realize how good Hartline would be if he had Peyton Manning throwing to him. Yes Manning could get some productivity out of you and me if we lined up next to him, but Hartline makes a lot of difficult catches. Marshal is supposed to be the one who can make great catches when he's completely covered, but it's Hartline that does that for us. How many times do you
find yourself getting angry at a play Hartline blows. Almost never. Whenever his number is called he usually steps up and makes the play for us.

By the way I'm for keeping both.

Date: December 20, 2011 08:51AM

How can someone say hartline is slow. Please...........Dont you see him get by defenders?

something marshall cant do...I see harline wide open by five yards many times people. But we have not a great qb.

Imagine hartline with a qb like dan marino guys.

Marshall gets his catches but how...He got a td sunday against the bills with the defender right on him.....

BTW if they would go more to harline he would get more catches definetely..

Like AQUA said...they have to feed marshals ego so they throw him the ball more.

Ken my math regarding how many times they throw to marshall was just figuratively speaking..

But im positive they throw to him more than anybody else.

People........ever since marshals tantrums on the field i could care less is he is a member of this team or not.

Date: December 20, 2011 08:54AM

I think Brian Hartline is easily the most underrated player on our team.

---------------------

Date: December 20, 2011 08:57AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't vote. One is completely absent and the
> other drops easy balls.

Absent because they do not feed him the ball.

And as much as i want the phins to lose this year i cannot take another drop from marshall in the endzone....I dont know if its mental or what........Im sick of it.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: December 20, 2011 12:10PM

Initially this was a tough one for me, i honestly thought that hartline was #4 on the depth chart because i rarely see him. Then i was thinking who was our #2 receiver so i looked and it is hartline... that being said there is too much of a discrepency between #1 and #2 in targets. you can say what you want about marshalls ego but hartline is just not getting the ball so i would agree that suggests he is not getting open...

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 20, 2011 12:28PM

Kind of a dumb question, like do you want your right arm or your left, but we need them both plus a couple of Tight End weapons to be competitive with NE / Packer offenses.

Fortunately NE defense sucks.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 03:04PM

Hartline is a team player. Marshall has been behaving this season but, I still have that uneasy feeling about him if he doesn't get the majority of the attention from the QB. Every team needs a team player.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:14PM

Hartline has led the team in yards per catch each year for 3 years. I don't know why more people don't give him credit for that. Hartline makes $400k per year. Marshall makes $9.5M. Is Marshall 24 times better than Hartline? Go back and look at what Hartline did in the second half of 2010. His numbers were very impressive. You have to realize that Matt Moore does not read through his progressions. He reads his primary target, and then checks down. That's why his yards per attempt is so low, and also why both Bess and Hartline have seen their targets reduced.

What if you could trade Marshall for a second round pick, which you could use for a big young receiver who makes 1/8th the salary? And then use the money saved on a free safety and a RT or OLB? That would be a no-brainer.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 04:33PM

it is highly doubtful we could get a 2nd for Marshall but if we could then i agree it is worth consideration. however, im hesitant to get rid of our best receiving threat the same year we (hopefully) are taking a franchise QB

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 20, 2011 05:15PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> it is highly doubtful we could get a 2nd for
> Marshall but if we could then i agree it is worth
> consideration. however, im hesitant to get rid
> of our best receiving threat the same year we
> (hopefully) are taking a franchise QB

Do you think a guy who demands the ball even when he is covered, or else commits intentional penalties, and then consistently fails to execute in the redone, is good for the developmental of a young QB? Me, personally, I would prefer a young QB to learn to throw the ball where coverage dictates, and to where his best matchup is, rather than being forced to feed a diva receiver.

You say we probably could not get a second for Marshall. I agree with you. I doubt we could get a 3rd for him. I'm not sure we could get a 4th for him. Why is that? It's because he is not worth his salary. And if that is the case, why should the Fins continue to pay it?

At profootballfocus.com, Marshall has graded out as the 60th best WR in the league. Hartline is 59th.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 20, 2011 06:17PM

Marshall draws double coverage and is still our leading receiver.

Here is something....Marshall's stats put him up there with Chambers, McDuffie, Fryar, and Clayton...without Marino.

yeah...cut him. NOT

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: December 21, 2011 05:11AM

Sure lets cut him. Just tell me how that makes us better.

I just don't get it. So many fans seem to be obsessed with getting rid of the only talent we have on this team. People screaming to get rid of Hartline. People demanding we get rid of Marshall. Why? So we can get some 3rd round pick where we'll take a RB out of Sam Houston State?

Here's an idea, let's get an elite Quarterback that can throw the ball to Marshall and Hartline. Not sure why people are more obsessed with getting rid of our only playmakers than wih landing a franchise Quarterback.

I'm of the opinion that this team gets better by adding an elite QB more so that by getting rid of the only talent we have at WR.

Assuming we trade up or sign Manning, or do SOMETHING to land an elite QB,

I think having Barkley + Marshall + Hartline is better than

Barkley + hole at WR + hole at WR

or Manning + hole at WR + hole at WR

or even if we get no one,

Moore + hole at WR + hole at WR

Maybe we should focus more energy on getting an elite QB on the field and less on trying to devise ways to get rid of our only playmakers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 07:38AM by Panteraize.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 05:38AM

THis question or poll is a joke right? Marshall has had a 1000yard season every year.... Hartline has never had one...lol... WTF? Do you want to really do a side by side comparison of their respective career stats?

Date: December 21, 2011 05:48AM

Marshall could of had 3000 yards receiving if he didnt drop like 30 passes in the enzone. that would had been TDs.

At the beginning i thought he was doing it on purpose....Now it just looks like he isnt a very good red zone receiver.

He just doesnt make a difference and is a pest....Sorry but thats the truth.

Date: December 21, 2011 06:50AM

Or he simply could have won us the first 4 games. He had multiple TD's dropped in those games.

---------------------

Date: December 21, 2011 09:01AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Or he simply could have won us the first 4 games.

Thats exactly what i mean when i say he just does not make a difference.

Date: December 21, 2011 09:16AM

I changed my mind and voted. I VOTED TO KEEP HARTLINE. My "absent" comment was answered very appropriately by A & O and others.

As to those who argue about how great Marshall is, it's like staying married to a bad wife (or husband) who is absolutely awful, never works, always cheats, but is so pretty (or handsome) that all the other men (or women) in the neighborhood talk about how lucky you are to have such a wife (or husband).

But the reality is that your marriage is awful.

You're like a junkie who keeps taking drugs and is simply addicted because of that first great feeling you got when you took that drug for the first time.

We got rid of Sparano and it is time to continue to clean house with Marshall.

Then like A & O says, maybe the young QB will have a better environment to develop and maybe we will see the great receiver in Hartline that he just might be without that ball dropping egomaniac getting all the balls thrown to him instead.

Date: December 21, 2011 09:17AM

They don't double Team Hartline..........

Date: December 21, 2011 09:23AM

What is the need to double team him if all the balls are going to Marshall anyway?

And if I'm wrong and balls are being thrown to him, why doesn't he have the same number of drops or more than Marshall?

And if balls are being thrown to him and he's catching them, then why aren't his statistics out of sight and why aren't we winning games?

The answer to all of the above is that he isn't getting balls thrown to him, Hartline that is, because the balls are being thrown to Marshall who is dropping all of them.

errrrr... I forgot this is TCF. Don't take that last sentence literally, Treasure.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:01AM

LOL chyren.

but seriously, this is an absurd argument. marshall is obviously better and we don't have enough offensive playmakers to get rid of him yet. plus, we won't get good value so we cannot get rid of him. that is pretty much it.

i agree with panteraize completely. lets focus on getting a top QB that will make both marshall and hartline better. and im not convinced that marshall demands the ball and forces the QB to throw to him. he is simply the most talented receiver on the team and even when he is covered he has the ability to make a play. marshall has not been a negative presence this year and from what i have heard he is stepping into a leadership role on the team. are people really advocating to take targets away from our best receiver? if we took some of his targets and gave them to the other receivers, then these same people would be complaining that we are under-utilizing our best receiver.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:29AM

Chambers had 1 season in which he had more receptions than Marshal has right now (14 games.)

McDuffie had 1 season with 90 receptions.....playing with MARINO!!!! no RB and no complementary WR's.

After that you have to go back to the 80's to find someone who is exceeding Marshall's production.

hey, I hate his drops too. But to say he doesn't make plays? or doesn't make a difference? Isn't accurate.

BUT the thing that gets me is....he has done this while playing with QB's that NOBODY WANTS TO KEEP!!

Is Henne the guy you want back? Moore? If we took Tom Brady and put him in a Phins uniform and put either of our QB's in the Pats uniform would the story change? DAMM SKIPPY it would!

If Marshall can produce like this, with an OL that took 8 games to gel, no complimentary speed oposite him and a QB we don't want? How does he do with a quality QB, OL, and a solid 'speedy' WR opposite him?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.