Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mallet can still be a a part of this next draft..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mallet can still be a a part of this next draft..........
Date: November 07, 2011 12:01PM

If we win a few more and are out of the Top 3 in the next draft Miami has to seriously consider boxing up the 1 st round pick to NE for thier 1st rounder and give them our 3 rd for Mallet. cool smiley

Mallet and Moore will be a nice QB duel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mallet can still be a a part of this next draft..........
Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:04PM

Not a bad idea, but I'll bet NE wouldn't take that deal.

Posted by: Arkiefinsguy ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:13PM

Enough with the Mallet talk. I'm from Arkansas, seen every game he played in and wasn't impressed. His footwork is terrible, he made bad decisions when rushed, and had a bad attitude at times. He was a product of Petrinos system. True he had a cannon arm but he will be the second coming of Ryan Leaf when he finally plays.

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:16PM

Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! Petrino the clown of clowns (I am a Louisville Card's fan).

He is a puke face mo fo as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:48PM

Hey Treasure....

you need to read what Arkie just said. Maybe you will take what he says.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 07, 2011 01:51PM

If we did this the Pats would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 07, 2011 02:06PM

dumbest idea I've heard. Trade down 20 spots for ryan mallet and a 3d rounder. not even rick speilman would do that

Date: November 07, 2011 02:13PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dumbest idea I've heard. Trade down 20 spots for
> ryan mallet and a 3d rounder. not even rick
> speilman would do that

Ireland might spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: November 07, 2011 02:17PM

At this point I would rather do what it takes to get Luck....the heck with the patsies.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 07, 2011 03:15PM

Well, I'm not that sold on Luck but giving New England our first round draft choice (even if it is not either number 1 thru 5) sends chills down my spine.

I remember watching the NE versus NY Giants game yesterday and having to hear the announcers repeatedly point out how STUPID THE DOLPHINS WERE for trading Wes Welker for a bag of magic beans and a third round draft choice.

I'd hate to hear, for years, about how we gave them the highest draft choice we've had since we picked Bob Griese in 1967.

Date: November 07, 2011 03:43PM

trading up 1 spot for a 4th round pick and the honor of picking vernon carey instead of vince wilfork. sound familiar? yeah this proposal sounds brilliant

Posted by: Arkiefinsguy ()
Date: November 07, 2011 04:31PM

Doug- The Dolfan wrote:

Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! Petrino the clown of clowns (I am a Louisville Card's fan).

He is a puke face mo fo as far as I am concerned.

Petrino is no clown, Hogs probably going to second straight BCS game while Houston Nutt couldn't get us to even 1 in 10 years of coaching. Petrino didn't want to coach a dog killer at qb was the problem there.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 07, 2011 05:03PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> If we win a few more and are out of the Top 3 in
> the next draft Miami has to seriously consider
> boxing up the 1 st round pick to NE for thier 1st
> rounder and give them our 3 rd for Mallet. cool smiley
>
> Mallet and Moore will be a nice QB duel.

wow you accuse me of saying dumb things tell me this post is a joke!!! first off mallett is a statue he is almost 6'9'' and is so stiff you could mistaken him for a penis... So goofy footed that he opted to not run the 40 at the combine, he has the worst lateral movement i ever seen on a man and this is the guy you want to let the patsies (who used a mid 3rd round pick for mallett) and you want to reward them with our first rounder! i knew you didnt watch any college football but that confirms it. Cause if you watched the guy play in college you would not have made such a dumb comment, even i from the mental institute know better.

Date: November 07, 2011 05:22PM

the thought of this trade makes me sick

Date: November 07, 2011 06:49PM

The key (for me) is the actual draft position.

Last year, I admit, I thought Mallet was the best of that year's QB prospects. I wanted us to draft him. Jury's still out of course, but I thought he showed some potential during preseason with the Pats.

Now of course, I'm hearing that he sucked all along.. BUT if his potential really was demonstrated during his preseason work with the pats, AND if our draft position is middle of the pack (not top 3-5), AND if the Pats position is only a few spots higher (may their losing streak continue) then yes I'd swap draft slots with the Pats.

And if we give up a third rounder for Mallet it'd be as if we drafted him in the third round anyway. Only real problem I see with the trade is that it involves GIVING THE PATS ANOTHER DAMN PICK and I hate that those F-ers stockpile picks.

During the last draft I wanted us to get A QUARTERBACK, in an early round. Even if it wasn't Mallet. But we got Pat Devlin, who was signed to the practice squad as undrafted.

Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: November 07, 2011 07:09PM

Arkiefinsguy Wrote:
> Enough with the Mallet talk. I'm from Arkansas,
> seen every game he played in and wasn't impressed.
> His footwork is terrible, he made bad decisions
> when rushed, and had a bad attitude at times. He
> was a product of Petrinos system. True he had a
> cannon arm but he will be the second coming of
> Ryan Leaf when he finally plays.

I said the same stuff about Mallet during the time around the draft and got killed by half of this board for it.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: November 07, 2011 07:18PM

oh my god. enough with mallet. if he is so great then the pats will not give him up unless someones blows them away with an offer. i mean they will have a better evaluation than anyone else and if they agree to a trade then it means he is not that good. think about it, when pete carrol passed on taylor mays like three times in the draft a few years ago and when the chiefs with Weis continually passed on jimmy clausen. those things are important to note as those coaches had the best scouting on those players and they did not value them that highly. this is a similar situation. on a side note, i am interested to see how interested carroll is in drafting barkley this year.

Date: November 07, 2011 08:39PM

Fair enough. Then tell me this...........

We win a few more games and get booted out of the Top 5 draft Picks. What are our options for securing the QB posistion ? Would you rather give up several first rounders to gamble on a prospect, or give up a little for a guy with a cannon who showed promise in last years pre season?

Date: November 08, 2011 03:55AM

> Fair enough. Then tell me this...........
>
> We win a few more games and get booted out of the
> Top 5 draft Picks. What are our options for
> securing the QB posistion ? Would you rather give
> up several first rounders to gamble on a prospect,
> or give up a little for a guy with a cannon who
> showed promise in last years pre season?

That's the point I was trying to make / agree with.

Only it took me 3 paragraphs of rambling and I wasn't as clear grinning smiley

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: November 08, 2011 06:20AM

treasure,

i would absolutely rather give up this years and next years 1st rounders to get Luck or barkley or landry or griffin than to give up less and have mallet. without a doubt. mallet is not the answer. he is not a franchise qb. he is a backup on a 5-3 team that has not drafted well lately.

Date: November 08, 2011 07:04AM

Hi Arkiefinsguy, I respectfully disagree with you on Petrino. The man does know offensive football, but he has no morals what so ever at all.

He lied so many times here at Louisville it made everyone here sick.

He has no morals. He destroyed many families in Louisville and in Atlanta to stuff his bank account.

Date: November 08, 2011 12:22PM

dolphin1423 Wrote:
> treasure,
>
> i would absolutely rather give up this years and
> next years 1st rounders to get Luck or barkley or
> landry or griffin than to give up less and have
> mallet. without a doubt. mallet is not the
> answer. he is not a franchise qb. he is a backup
> on a 5-3 team that has not drafted well lately.

So would I. On Luck and barkley anyway. Except I doubt any team in the Top 5 would be interested in giving them up. There is a good chance that NONE of the Top QB prospects will be available to us and we won't have the oppourtunity to move up unless we give up a Kings ransom. If thats the case, and it well might be, I think making a move to get Matt Moore some competition , REAL competition this time, is a viable option.

A team like the Pats is a player or two from improving drastically. Brady is now on a time clock. A High round 1st and 3rd pick for there 1st and Mallet is an intriguing option.

Date: November 09, 2011 01:00PM

We are actually talking about the possibility of not getting one of the top 3 or 4 QBs in the draft and Matt Moore getting "competition" from a FA to be the starter for next year.

If Moore can repeat last week's performance for the rest of the year, great, but I doubt it.

What I fear is that we continue this middle of the road stuff while others continue to farm the QB landscape resulting in some success and some not so successful.

But the Miami Dolphins, they are caught in a vortex.

What did my Dolphins ever do to offend the football godz so much?

Date: November 09, 2011 01:14PM

Doug-THE-Dolfan Wrote:
>
> What did my Dolphins ever do to offend the
> football godz so much?

Hmm, let's see.

Disrespect Shula at the end of his coaching career.

Disrespect Marino at the end of his playing career.

I think we've suffered long enough though.

Date: November 10, 2011 06:28AM

I hope things change and we are in the run for a Top teir QB with a healthier coaching staff in a few months. But Just in case we are not........and thats a possibility whats our worst case scenario?

Getting Moore Competition Is going to be the case even if we land Luck. Marino didn't start 1983 either.Oh he finished it all right , but no one is a lock out of the draft, Some just have better odds.

Did hizeinga disrespect Shula? Kind of, but it needed to be done. He hadn't done shit in over 20 yrs by then except get lucky on a late round QB in 83'.

No one disrespected Marino. Hows that? guy was wearing more armour then a soldier and couldn't walk and he was still given the ball. They gave him a huge party at the stadium, I WAS THERE. They named a street after him and gave him a giant statue, as well as one for coach Shula. Now in hindsite , sure you would have liked to have seen what Shula would have done had he stayed. Had he stayed , he might have kept underachieving and then you would be crying that we should have dumped him long ago.

What they needed to do was get Marino a better running game like Elway had to win a Superbowl. But again Hindsite.......so, instead of crying we didn't get a Top 5 pick, and why didn't we plan for it.......

Whats wrong with discussing options? I'll tell you one thing, the only thing rarer then a Top draft prospect is a QB like Drew Breeze avaialbe in free agency. Teams don't dump great players without a good reason. (Unless your the Phins)eye rolling smiley So free agency is not the place to go.

Thats why a Trade for something not really available is the thing to do. Don't agree? Whats your idea then if we drop out of the Top 5 positions in the Draft?

Date: November 10, 2011 07:03AM

>
> Did hizeinga disrespect Shula? Kind of,

The organization was all over Jimmy's "Johnson" while Don was still coaching. It was more than a "kind of"

> but it
> needed to be done. He hadn't done shit in over 20
> yrs by then except get lucky on a late round QB in
> 83'.

OH really, in the over 20 years" since his back to back super bowl wins, let's take a look:

220 Victories, 9 Division titles, Two AFC Championships, and only two losing seasons over those 22 years.

Yeah he didn't do ANYTHING.

He even posted a better record during his final four seasons when he was supposedly Over The Hill, than JJ's four years here.

Get lucky..haha. All those wins were pure luck, weren't they. He won an AFC championship with David Woodley as the starting quarterback. Was that luck too?

None of the above is grounds for "it needed to be done" re the way Shula was shown the door.

>
> No one disrespected Marino. Hows that?

Ever hear of a guy named Dave Wannestedt? It's okay if you forgot about DW, I've been trying to forget him for many years. That's 'how's that.'

Date: November 10, 2011 07:08AM

You are WAY off on a lot of this, Treasure:

> Getting Moore Competition Is going to be the case
> even if we land Luck. Marino didn't start 1983
> either.Oh he finished it all right , but no one is
> a lock out of the draft, Some just have better
> odds.
Moore had ONE (count it...ONE) good game. Did you forget Chad Henne? Are you really assuming after ONE good game that Moore will be the starter next year?!! The guy is a 3rd-string QB.

>
> Did hizeinga disrespect Shula? Kind of, but it
> needed to be done. He hadn't done shit in over 20
> yrs by then except get lucky on a late round QB in
> 83'.
WHAT??? We played in 2 Superbowls in those 20 years you said he didn't do sh*t!! Are you referring to the draft? I can list a host of good picks (Clayton, Duper, Stephensen, Duhe, Offerdahl, Troy Vincent, etc.). You must be young, because you have NO IDEA what Shula was about.

> No one disrespected Marino. Hows that? guy was
> wearing more armour then a soldier and couldn't
> walk and he was still given the ball. They gave
> him a huge party at the stadium, I WAS THERE. They
> named a street after him and gave him a giant
> statue, as well as one for coach Shula. Now in
> hindsite , sure you would have liked to have seen
> what Shula would have done had he stayed. Had he
> stayed , he might have kept underachieving and
> then you would be crying that we should have
> dumped him long ago.
Underachieving?? Shula had the most wins of any coach in football history when he retired. The Phins were the most successful professional franchise (not just football...ALL pro sports) when Shula retired!!

>
> What they needed to do was get Marino a better
> running game like Elway had to win a Superbowl.
> But again Hindsite.......so, instead of crying we
> didn't get a Top 5 pick, and why didn't we plan
> for it.......
They tried. Andre Franklin went down with a career-ending injury Dan's 2nd year. Lorenzo Hampton wasn't as good as advertised. Sammie Smith could run...but he could fumble even better than that!! Shula did NOT ignore the running game, but Marino was also the worst play-action QB in the league. He wasn't fooling anyone. Face it...Marino wanted to pass...not run. So Shula surrounded him with receivers at every skill position (FB, RB, TE).

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 10, 2011 07:23AM

JC I couldn't have said it better.
You the man!

Date: November 10, 2011 10:04AM

OK. Maybe I am looking at the glass half full. But what I saw in the last Twenty years was NO defense, NO Running game , and NO Championships. Becuase of him the greatest passer in history has no championship ring and not considered the best QB ever, instead just a stat machine. I applaud Shula and revere him. I stop at that Statue everytime I visit the stadium and tell my 2 boys tales of.....back in the day.

But the Truth was a Change was needed. He wasn't getting it done and Hiezenga wanted more then a Good team and a AFC Championshionship. He wanted a Superbowl. Unfortunately we went from Good to Bad, to Bad to worse.

I don't think releasing a declining Coach or QB is disrespect. Thoses Two men were treated very respectfully and are honored very well for their contributions. I was there the night they sold out the stadium in honor of Dan Marino's retirement. It was FREE and completely on Heizenga's dime.

Just becuase the decisions made since they left have been worse does not mean a change for the better was not needed when they were asked to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 10:29AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:14AM

>
>
>
> I don't think releasing a declining Coach or QB is
> disrespect.

Nor do I, necessarily. It's not that they made the change(s), its' HOW they did it.

Public Displays of Affection for Jimmy Johnson and his Bob's BigBoy hairdo were made by the brass of the team *WHILE DON WAS STILL COACHING*. THAT is disrespect. They gave Shula a title (V.P. of something) but made it clear he wasn't welcome at meetings, training camp, etc. They made it clear they didn't value his opinion as a consult, despite him being far and away the most successful coach in the history of the game. THAT is disrespect.

> Thoses Two men were treated very
> respectfully and are honored very well for their
> contributions. I was there the night they sold out
> the stadium in honor of Dan Marino's retirement.
> It was FREE and completely on Heizenga's dime.
>

Wow they "sold out" something that was Free! To quote the late great Jim Mandich, "Awriiiiight!

I didn't say Huizenga treated Dan poorly. I said WANNESTEDT did. Did you forget Wannestedt AGAIN? It's okay, I'm still trying to forget him too.

> Just becuase the decisions made since they left
> have been worse does not mean a change for the
> better was not needed when they were asked to go.

True, but the change could have been done in a much better manner.

With Shula....ASK him to be a part time consultant. INVITE him to some team meetings, training camp, practice, draft meetings. Don't give him voting power or official authority, but don't turn your back on the guy who gave so many successful years to this organization.

Some examples:

Coach Shula, what do you think of this new kid out of (whatever) Univ?

Coach Shula, do you know anything about this veteran free agent DB from the Browns--you still have some buddies in Cleveland, And YOU were a DB who made lots of interceptions, what do you think about this guy?

We're going to the Combine in Wayne's jet. You'd better come with us coach, we've already booked your hotel room!

Hey Coach, we're having a dinner for the Foundation next month. Can we do it at your Steakhouse?

See, would that be so difficult? it's not only respect for the Elder Statesman, it would have helped the team too.

Now Shula could have told them to go take a bottle full of their favorite boner pills and go F themselves, but the honorable thing would have been to have extended the courtesy and ask him to participate.

As for Marino-- A lot has already been said on this board over the years by people who know/remember the details better than I. What I can recall is, Wannestedt avoided Marino, maybe met with him once but wouldn't look him in the eye or directly discuss Marino's role. They asked Marino to void his contract for salary cap reasons during the offseason, then made it clear he wasn't welcome back. THAT is disrespect

I've written too much already, that's all from me for now smileys with beer

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.