HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Can Henne bounce back
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Can Henne bounce back
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 03, 2011 05:41PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can Henne bounce back
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: August 03, 2011 06:05PM

bounce back implies returning to his former good play. I am not aware of any, except for the odd game here and there (1st ever start vs Jets, OAK game last year). so no, he cannot bounce back.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 04, 2011 02:24AM

This entire team will be under a microscope this year...which is NOT a positive environment. Both Sparano and Henne were nearly replaced in the offseason...but both are still here in the same positions they had last year. Neither can feel very comfortable.

Add to this a new QB coach who's never coached QBs, a new OC who had the worst offense in the league last year, major shifting on the O-Line, a high likelihood we'll be starting a rookie RB...NONE of this bodes well for Henne.

Can Henne bounce "back" (i.e. improve from last year)? No idea, but all signs point to NO.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 04, 2011 02:48AM

Magic 8 Ball says...

Probably not.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 04, 2011 03:25AM

Lots of Henne talk on Sirius this morning.

Ross Tucker- "I know lots of scouts and personnel guys around the league who would tell you, without hesitation, that they would take Henne over Mark Sanchez. Sanchez has had better players around him, and a better line, by far."

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 04, 2011 03:44AM

I would rather have Henne then Sanchez any day of the week.
Also from what I have seen thus far, I would rather have Sparano and reland then Harbaugh... Harbuagh has let his 49ers be desimated by free agency, and really hasnt signed anybody...Who is their starting QB, Kapernick?, and his defense lost 5 or 6 starters that were brought to the team by Mike Nolan and Singletary.

Could you imagine if Harbaugh let half of our starters on defense leave.. You think Harbaugh would have had the foresight to franchise Solia and resign Mcdaniels, and sign Burnett... I doubt it, and guess what he really hasnt solved the QB problems yet either.. He drafted a QB, so the Dolphins, phans probably would love him...lol

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 04, 2011 03:58AM

How many game winning drives has Sanchez and Henne had, comparitavely speaking.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: August 04, 2011 04:43AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would rather have Henne then Sanchez any day of
> the week.
> Also from what I have seen thus far, I would
> rather have Sparano and reland then Harbaugh...
> Harbuagh has let his 49ers be desimated by free
> agency, and really hasnt signed anybody...Who is
> their starting QB, Kapernick?, and his defense
> lost 5 or 6 starters that were brought to the team
> by Mike Nolan and Singletary.
>
> Could you imagine if Harbaugh let half of our
> starters on defense leave.. You think Harbaugh
> would have had the foresight to franchise Solia
> and resign Mcdaniels, and sign Burnett... I doubt
> it, and guess what he really hasnt solved the QB
> problems yet either.. He drafted a QB, so the
> Dolphins, phans probably would love him...lol

Harbaugh is a rookie and may be in over his head. I was concerned about having him in Miami when we were courting him, but I'm not necessarily happy we stuck with Sparano either.

Date: August 04, 2011 04:44AM

next year we will have jeff fisher or cowher

Date: August 04, 2011 04:47AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> next year we will have jeff fisher or cowher

And maybe the #1 pick to boot!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 04, 2011 04:59AM

Date: August 04, 2011 05:04AM

agreed we have too much talent on this team to lose 14 or 15. but there seems to be a stink around this team that transcends talent. doesn't seem like anyone wants to play here, we look incompetent at the 2 most important positions (HC and Qcool smiley and powerless to do anything about it (public failures to get Harbaugh and Orton, so keeping both guys we wanted to dump for lack of anyone to replace them---when does THAT ever happen?). we could see a snowball effect of losses beyond what the talent should dictate. but yes, it should still be enough for 5-8 wins this year.

Date: August 04, 2011 05:08AM

I'm still stunned as to what happened. We seemed in complete disarray when Saban left....then again the entire season with Cam Cameron. Then Parcells came in and it appeared we got organized and were on our way to recovery. Somehow we fell back....WAY back. I don't get it.

Date: August 04, 2011 05:18AM

yes this reminds me of the dark days when we hired marino to be our GM (huh?) he quit and we replaced him with the guy we were trying to replace--rick speilman. or when we were going to replace wanny and instead demoted him (took away gm duties) but kept him as HC. both were the lowest points in the team yet I feel we could be nearing another.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:21AM

I think Henne will play better this year. I think his play last year was - in large (huge) part - a result of Sparano's philosophy and Henning's overall approach to offense and handling of Henne (which Sparano entrusted to him).

To be honest, my fear is that Henne plays just 'better' enough to keep coaches from determining whether he is the solution or not. I am more fearful of this than of him completely tanking.

In looking back at last year, Henne played reasonably well the first 1/2 or so of the season. He plays within himself for 2 wins early, then very respectably during a 4-game stretch possibly rivaling the most difficult ever. We beat the eventual SB champion...and in all reality beat the SB runner up.
- Against NE, his 3 INT is unacceptable even in light of his overall yardage, YPA, TDs, etc...but what I really remember was the ST giving NE way more than what they needed to beat us.
- In the Jets game, in the final series, he throws for consecutive 16 and 30 yard completions, then Marshall runs out of gas. I like Marshall and called for him last year before he was acquired. But, he flat out ran out of gas.
- He didn't play well (but not horribly) against CIN, but we won.
- Against BAL, he was absolutely no good. I'm not going to figure out the calculation, but I'm guessing his QB rating was in the 80s when he was benched after 1 really bad game out of 8.
- Against TEN off the bench and OAK, he played really well.

The bottom fell out of the last 1/3 of the season. I personally believe that the entire offensive environment was in complete disarray at the end of the season and Henne suffered more than anyone else due to this. I think that Henning sort of threw in the towel...Marshall admittedly was causing problems behind closed doors...the OL was featuring the likes of Murtha, Procter, Berger and a one-armed Jake Long. Ronnie Brown's 2nd half of the season was absolutely abysmal...he never averaged more than 4 ypc in a game during the last 8 games. He lost Hartline, who was the only thing even remotely close to an experienced "deep threat" we had on the team. Even Moore's 57-yd TD vs. OAK was an out route.

Chad was not good enough to overcome all the crap around him in the offense. If we have a better offensive philosophy and playcalling, (hopefully dramatically) improved OL play, focus/cohesion and better luck with injuries, Henne will be better...the question is how much better. Frankly, on the defensive side, if we hold onto picks and sure pick 6's, we probably win another couple games last year.

Please don't misread this. I don't think he is going to be an elite QB. I fear that he'll improve just enough. I hope he can develop into an elite QB, but I'm not optimistic. However, I'm chomping at the bit to see what he can do w/o all the stuff that was going on around him the last 1/3 of 2010.

Date: August 04, 2011 09:25AM

I'll be the first to say I HOPE SO! I would love to eat every word I've said negative about the guy.

Date: August 04, 2011 09:30AM

Date: August 04, 2011 09:59AM

we look incompetent because we wanted to make a change at HC and QB, were unable to do so (rejected in the case of Harbaugh, gun shy in the case of Orton), then returned to the folks we just made clear we felt were not good enough to lead the team. at the 2 most important jobs in the sport. incompetent. you cannot determine competence only in hindsight.

I get that we have some talent on defense. we did in the wanny years too. but, as then, we lack leadership and ability at HC and QB and general cluessness at the GM spot with the complicity of the owner. that is why I feel like the team is lost and on the cusp of disaster. hopefully i am wrong but that is what it feels like to me now.

Date: August 04, 2011 10:06AM

Berk- I feel good about the team, I think we have the most talent we have had on our team since Jimmy Jonhson or SHula days.. I hope we sign another good line men more then any available QB's. I think whoever plays QB Henne or Moore, will have a ton of weapons around him. That is important. Henne just needs to get the ball in the hands of one of many playmakers that will be surrounding him. If he has time and blocking he will shine I believe.
I sure hope we win and play well in week 1, I dont like to see you feel so deflated in your feeling about the team Berk... I know that feeling and it sucks especially for a Die Hard fan, I hope something inspires you with our team soon, I know it will not take to much... Just to start the year off 1-0 against one of the best teams in the NFL let alone our own Division.

Date: August 04, 2011 10:10AM

I know there's always hope and anything's possible. and of course I will be rooting like crazy every game (just bought tix to see mia play at the browns in Sept for my annual "away game" trip). but not one move they made other than re-signing McDaniels and maybe replacing Crowder (sorry, Crowder52) has filled me with much confidence since the lockout ended

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:14AM

Hey, look. The key to any analysis of Henne's performance should be the same thing it was last year with one exception.

The exception is that Henne will have a better offensive line behind him and probably a much better running game as well as a dependable tight-end.

So on the Henne side of the performance, there will be no excuse.

But the one exception is the Wildcat.

I repeat, I repeat, I repeat ...... until you are sick of hearing it and even I am sick of saying it.....................................
you cannot judge Henne's performance on third down when the Wildcat has been inserted in either or both of the first two downs.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 04, 2011 10:40AM

A poster on one of the newspaper sites said that the one thing he wanted was to see Henne at the end of the season basically demonstrate on the field that if he was going down he would do it HIS way rather than seemingly acquiescing to Henning's direction as the ship went down.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think he might have risked career suicide doing that. I also think he might have won over some of the players and I think it might have led to a better result on the field (not really sure about that one).

I personally would have liked to have seen it, but I don't have to live with the consequences of the choice.

Date: August 04, 2011 10:41AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> I know there's always hope and anything's
> possible. and of course I will be rooting like
> crazy every game (just bought tix to see mia play
> at the browns in Sept for my annual "away game"
> trip). but not one move they made other than
> re-signing McDaniels and maybe replacing Crowder
> (sorry, Crowder52) has filled me with much
> confidence since the lockout ended

You dont like signing MLB Burnett, or Reggie Bush, the best pass catching back and guy who normally always makes the first guy miss type of player... What about the young speedster in Gates, or Pouncey the best interior linemen in the draft, a big weakness for us last year. We shall see, but i think you are just in a funk or DD, dolphins depression, it happens to the best of us at times...
have a smileys with beer

Date: August 04, 2011 11:30AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> you cannot judge Henne's performance on third down
> when the Wildcat has been inserted in either or
> both of the first two downs.

Chyren,
Even with the WIldcat distractions, Henne's strogest suit is on third downs. He had one of the higher passer ratings and completion percentage on 3rd downs of all the QB's in the entire NFL.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 04, 2011 12:57PM

I am trying to think of a qb in the past ten years that was inconsistent in his first two or three years and turned it around.

Can't think of any. Can you?

It seems that the qbs of the modern era either have it or don't. They show ability to consistently move the offense but still may throw dumb ints...but learn to read d"s better and by the 2nd or 3rd year....they are off and running.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: August 04, 2011 01:01PM

Date: August 04, 2011 01:08PM

Brees is the obvious example. they drafted Rivers (well really Manning) to replace him, and then the light bulb clicked for Brees.

Orton also has come into his own after some mediocre first years.

Date: August 04, 2011 01:13PM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:31PM

Aaron Rodgers sat and learned for 3 years. Eli Manning's passer rating his first 4 years was worse than Henne's last two before moving into the upper half of QBs. Phillip Rivers sat for 2 years, then was great in year 3, and regressed in year 4 before establishing himself as elite. Vince Young didn't post an above average passer rating until his 5th year. So, you can add all of them to the list.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 04, 2011 01:38PM

Most of those guys were on the bench for years before taking over. Henne had really one year. I was trying to think of a situation similar to Henne.

Brees is a good example but seems to be the eception not the rule...so to speak. He also really aired it out in college and had great success throwing the ball with something like 12k yards and 90 tds. He was a much more heralded player and Heisman candidate.

Brees proved to be the same player he was in college. Unfortunately so is Henne. He would have to prove he is better in the pros than he was in college.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.