HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Take a page from Bill Walsh?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Take a page from Bill Walsh?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:02AM

Looking at our current offensive talent, I'm thinking we may do best shifting to a west-coast offense. I'm in no way considering we'd be as good as the 49ers of the 80's, but if you look at key positions, there are some similarities skill-wise:

Montana - Thigpen (both good with their arms AND feet)
Marshall - Rice (neither has blinding speed, but both can catch and are tough to tackle)
Hartline - Taylor (again, neither is fast or a legit deep threat, but both are big)
Craig - Brown (Tough runners that are not elusive but are tough to tackle. Both are good receivers out of the backfield)

I think the short passes and pass-to-establish-the-run philosophy of the west-coast offense may suit us best if Thigpen is our main guy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Take a page from Bill Walsh?
Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:18AM

Thigpen wont be though, at least not for some time Henne will probably be back in short order, and then he will be starting again

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:19AM

Date: November 22, 2010 05:23AM

Only thing they have in common is the fact they both played for the Chiefs......

but that is where it ends.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 22, 2010 05:24AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quote:
>
> "Montana - Thigpen (both good with their arms AND
> feet)"
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Come on dude, you just put Montana and Thigpen in
> the same sentence.
>
>
> I need to read no further, sorry but you
> get........
>
>
>
> EPIC FAIL

You obviously didn't read. I said "I'm in no way considering we'd be as good as the 49ers of the 80's" before that comparison.

EPIC FAIL back

Date: November 22, 2010 05:25AM

g_fish55 Wrote:
> Thigpen wont be though, at least not for some time
> Henne will probably be back in short order, and
> then he will be starting again

We'll see. You think Henne had lead feet BEFORE the injury? He's going to be a statue after it.

Date: November 22, 2010 05:41AM

Quote:

"You obviously didn't read. I said "I'm in no way considering we'd be as good as the 49ers of the 80's" before that comparison."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
If you want to say that we should switch to the WCO because of success right now and how QB friendly it is (which I would probably agree with) then that is one thing.....

but broham, you cant start of the topic with Thigpen and Montana in the same sentence. You lose your entire argument/topic/discussion when you start off with that.

---------------------

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:50AM

i never said henne had feet i only said he will be the starter again

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Date: November 22, 2010 06:21AM

Look: With the injuries to our O-Line, putting Henne in there would be suicide. He's going to be even slower and a complete sitting duck when he gets back.

I'm pitching the idea that, based on our talent, we move to a west-coast style. If you guys want to get stuck on how I worded my post, then there's no point in even posting to this board.

A&O - It's been a while since you've attacked me like that. You need to chill.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 06:24AM

It would be a decent idea IF we had another OC. I'm not sure that Henning is familiar with the concept of a West Coast Offence considering that Miami is on the east coast.

Date: November 22, 2010 06:30AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> It would be a decent idea IF we had another OC.
> I'm not sure that Henning is familiar with the
> concept of a West Coast Offence considering that
> Miami is on the east coast.

Yeah. That's an unfortunate truth. I wonder what David Lee could do.

Date: November 22, 2010 06:34AM

Quote:

"A&O - It's been a while since you've attacked me like that. You need to chill."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Calm down big fella. I am not attacking you at all. The print doesnt show emotions. I was just stating that you cant put Thiggy and Montana togethor.....EVER.

I dont attack the true guys on this board, and you are definately one of the true guys.

---------------------

Date: November 22, 2010 06:51AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Quote:
>
> "A&O - It's been a while since you've attacked me
> like that. You need to chill."
>
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Calm down big fella. I am not attacking you at
> all. The print doesnt show emotions. I was just
> stating that you cant put Thiggy and Montana
> togethor.....EVER.
>
> I dont attack the true guys on this board, and you
> are definately one of the true guys.

It's the all caps thing (EPIC FAIL) that got to me. It's like you were screaming at me. It's all good.

Now, all that aside, do you think a west coast system with Thigpen would work assuming Henne doesn't come back this year?

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:06AM

Yes a west coast offense could work with Thigpen...but it could also work with Henne as well. You don't have to be a scrambling type player to be sucessfull in that system. The keys to it are an athletic offnsive line that is really disciplined and good at pulling. Then timing, accuracy, elusive receivers and running backs that get open quickly along with athletic pass catching tight ends.

The problem with the Phins is our personnel...thay are not well suited for a west coast scheme.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:08AM

It's irrelevant because Dan Henning is not a west coast offense coordinator. So, he'd have to be fired, and you'd have to bring in a west coast offense guy. And then everyone would have to learn all new plays and routes and reads and terminology. It's not going to happen with 6 games left.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:45AM

I just want Henning to be fired. Is that too much to ask?

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 08:25AM

All I saw was Montana and Thigpen together and I stopped reading.

Date: November 22, 2010 08:41AM

Quote:

"Now, all that aside, do you think a west coast system with Thigpen would work assuming Henne doesn't come back this year?"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
To implement a West Coast Offense in the middle of the season would be nearly impossible. That being said, I am not sure what would work at this point. I do know what needs to happen though, there needs to be a change at Offensive Coordinator and we need healthy O-lineman.

I also think Henne will be back next week.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 22, 2010 09:39AM

No way you could change offensive schemes mid season. We're stuck with the dates we brought to the dance! I agree that Henne will be back this week and I think he gives us our best shot to win. I also think Henning needs to go at the end of the season, but I don't think he's as dumb as some are making him out to be.

Date: November 22, 2010 10:17AM

Well our main problem is that his offensive system relies on a really good offensive line......and we dont have that.

---------------------

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 22, 2010 06:28PM

Our system is also very simplistic. We have like 2 trick plays, and the wildcat. Our base offense we run most of the time has no flare, no flash, no variety what so ever. I watch two of the better offenses in the league Sunday night and I noticed how complex they were. Then I look back at some of Miami's games and I realize how bland an offense we run. Very few if any audibles on the line, very few if any plays with 5 WR sets. It's easy to game plan for this offense as a DC. That's half our problem IMHO. The other half is our patch work O-Line as others have stated. Great teams are built from the inside out. No O-line? No wins.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.