HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          We Need a No. 1 Drafted QB next year...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
We Need a No. 1 Drafted QB next year...
Posted by: Welead ()
Date: November 12, 2010 05:29AM

No more fooling around and no more wasting years and years on mediocre QB play like we did with Fiedler. That's why I'm so happy about the Henne benching... the organization has sent a big message that we will no longer tolerate mediocre QB play. If the Dolphins could manage to get Andrew Luck in next year's draft (almost impossible) we would be set at QB for years to come. He's the next Dan Marino/Peyton Manning in my opinion. The guys we should draft are the one's who are lighting it up in the college ranks, even the guy for USC is showing that he can play big time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: We Need a No. 1 Drafted QB next year...
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 05:39AM

A good overview of the top QB's. With all the recent news we could see Newton enter. Ponder of Foles could be targeted unless we end up in the top 10 or Locker drops like Aaron Rodgers

Andrew Luck | QB | Stanford | 6?4? | 235 lbs- Luck is the crown jewel of this years QB class. More than likely he will be the top pick in the draft. Luck is a sophomore eligible player that could elect to stay in college, but I don’t think he can elevate his draft status any higher than it is now. He is the real deal, a solid pocket passer completing 68.7% of his passes and throwing 22 TD’s to only 6 interceptions. Luck also has enough mobility to get himself out of trouble with his legs. Projected round Top 5 pick

Jake Locker | QB | Washington | 6?3? | 223 lbs- Locker may have made a mistake by not coming out this year. He will still be a first round pick, but Locker would have battled Bradford for the top pick in the draft. Locker is very athletic and still learning the pro style QB. His legs can get him out of trouble and he has a nig arm. he will need a little time to develop, but may have the most upside of any QB in the 2011 draft. Projected round Top 10 pick

Ryan Mallett | QB | Arkansas | 6?7? | 238 lbs- Mallett is big with a big arm. He is a bit inconsistent but when he is on he is as good as any QB in the country. He is confident in his arm and sometimes will take chances when he shouldn’t. He can get away with that often at the NCAA level, but will need to learn to pick his chances better in the NFL. Mallett is not the most mobile of QB’s and doesn’t have the best mechanics, but in his three years his completion percentage has increased each year and he has thrown 56 TD’s to only 20 interceptions. Projected round 1-2

Christian Ponder | QB | Florida State | 6?3? | 220 lbs- Ponder came into the 2010 season with hopes of a Heisman award. Unfortunately he has not lived up to the hype this year. Ponder lost his top receiver just before the season and has tried to make too many thing happen with a young receiving group and it has not paid off. Ponder is very athletic and extremely intelligent. Projected round 1-2

Nick Foles | QB | Arizona | 6?5? | 235 lbs - Foles has all the tools and tremendous upside. He has put on a little weight and has a strong arm. The knock on him is he checks down too quick and questionable mechanics. He is probably not going to step in right away wherever he goes, but is a solid prospect. Projected round 2-3

Pat Delvin | QB | Delaware | 6?3? | 220 lbs - Delvin has taken the same path as Flacco transferring from Penn State to Delaware, but he’s not the same prospect Flacco was. Delvin is tough as nails and athletic. He has a good arm, but not elite. Injuries have slowed him down a little this year, but should have a good combine and prodays and rate out fairly well. Projected round 2-3

Nathan Enderle | QB | Idaho | 6?5? | 227 lbs - Enderle is a tough mobile QB. He doesn’t have the greatest arm strength and incoonsitsnat with his accuracy. He has thrown for 69 TD’s in his college career, but he has also thrown 56 picks. Projected round 3-4

Ricky Stanzi | QB | Iowa | 6?4? | 225 lbs- Stanzi is an emotional leader with all the intangables. He has put up very good stats in his career completing around 60% of his passes and throwing for 51 TD’s and 28 picks. Unfortunatley his physical abilities don’t measure up to his leadership abilities, but in the right situation he could be a diamond in the rough. Projected round 3-4

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 12, 2010 05:45AM

You realize that taking a QB in the 1st round is a 50/50 shot. And that's not a 50/50 shot that he'll be a Marino or bust. That's 50/50 that he'll still be in the league in 5 years.

The issue is that 'ritard' OC of ours.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 12, 2010 06:38AM

Why would we need to? We have Pennington and Thigpen, your saviors for the season

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: November 12, 2010 06:40AM

Pennington could play for a few more years if need be.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 12, 2010 06:46AM

QB's are a gamble in the 1st round, but I've noticed the bust-factor on 1st round QB's has gone down significantly in the last several years. Since Eli/Rivers/Big Ben were drafted, there have been 3 1st round QB's that I would consider busts (Leinart, Russell, Quinn). Of those 3 guys, Russell was big with a strong arm...but not much else. The other 2 guys were all about big ego. You'd think after Ryan Leaf that teams would know better. All 3 QBs were heavily hyped...which I feel is a major red flag. On the other hand, there not much hype at all regarding Ryan, Sanchez, Rothlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, and Cutler. A few other guys who were heavily hyped (Vince Young, Eli Manning) have managed to do pretty well, but neither has truly lived up to expectations.

It's also become a lot more common for rookie QB's to start and play well (Big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Ryan) than in the past. Not sure why.

The key seems to be to pick guys rated high, who are NOT heavily hyped, and who can keep their ego in check. Henne fit most of that when he was drafted, actually.

Date: November 12, 2010 06:48AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pennington could play for a few more years if need
> be.

Get him in the weight room in the offseason and build his strength!! He NEEDS to be more durable. He NEEDS to make that shoulder stronger. If not, it will be moot. Penny has never played 2 full consecutive seasons. NEVER.

Date: November 12, 2010 07:03AM

Eli Manning = Super Bowl MVP, I wish I'd never lived up to that kind of hype

Date: November 12, 2010 07:24AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Eli Manning = Super Bowl MVP, I wish I'd never
> lived up to that kind of hype

He got the MVP because of a handful of plays. The Giants defense won that game. Since that game, Eli has been, pretty much, an above-average QB. Not much else.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 07:25AM

Actualy David Tyree won that one lol.... THE MIRACLE CATCH OF THE CENTURY!!

Date: November 12, 2010 07:27AM

Mia1 Wrote:
> Actualy David Tyree won that one lol.... THE
> MIRACLE CATCH OF THE CENTURY!!

True! But, if not for the Giants defense, that catch would have meant nothing.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 07:29AM

I know just making a funny lol.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 12, 2010 08:23AM

Quote:

"QB's are a gamble in the 1st round, but I've noticed the bust-factor on 1st round QB's has gone down significantly in the last several years. Since Eli/Rivers/Big Ben were drafted, there have been 3 1st round QB's that I would consider busts (Leinart, Russell, Quinn). Of those 3 guys, Russell was big with a strong arm...but not much else. The other 2 guys were all about big ego. You'd think after Ryan Leaf that teams would know better. All 3 QBs were heavily hyped...which I feel is a major red flag. On the other hand, there not much hype at all regarding Ryan, Sanchez, Rothlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, and Cutler. A few other guys who were heavily hyped (Vince Young, Eli Manning) have managed to do pretty well, but neither has truly lived up to expectations.

It's also become a lot more common for rookie QB's to start and play well (Big Ben, Flacco, Sanchez, Ryan) than in the past. Not sure why.

The key seems to be to pick guys rated high, who are NOT heavily hyped, and who can keep their ego in check. Henne fit most of that when he was drafted, actually."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Not necessarily true, J.P Losman, Alex Smith (#1 overall), Jason Cambell, Matt Leinhart, Jamarcus Russell (#1 overall), and Brady Quinn have all been 1st round busts. Plus, I am not even adding the QB's drafted within the last 3 drafts so there could be more.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: November 12, 2010 08:36AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Not necessarily true, J.P Losman, Alex Smith (#1
> overall), Jason Cambell, Matt Leinhart, Jamarcus
> Russell (#1 overall), and Brady Quinn have all
> been 1st round busts. Plus, I am not even adding
> the QB's drafted within the last 3 drafts so there
> could be more.

Hmm. Don't know how I missed Smith & Losman. Yeah, I guess it's still a crap shoot.

Date: November 12, 2010 08:43AM

But either way,

We would have to *TANK* the season to get one of the top QB's. Luck and Locker will be top 5 picks. Mallett will be top 15, maybe top 10.

So who does that leave us with, considering will should be picking around 18? Christian Ponder??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

So, how do we get Luck or Locker? Trade away the franchise? If you want a first round QB......tell me how we get him.

---------------------

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 12, 2010 08:56AM

Even setting aside the point Dolphaholic made, think about it. You guys just screamed for and got the benching of a third year quarterback. Now you want to get a completely new rookie?

Look it, a Marino comes along only once in a great while.

Most quarterbacks do as did Brees and take time to develop. Brees is the rule, Marino is the exception.

So if a quarterback takes time to develop, then why would the same people who got impatient with Henne, who had a 4-4 record, suggest drafting a rookie quarterback with our first round pick when 1) our running backs are old 2) our receivers except Marshall are under par 3) our offensive line is chronically injured 4) our defensive secondary, except Vontae Davis, is close to just sucking?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: November 12, 2010 09:19AM

QB's are high bust potential no matter where you take them. There have only been a few coming out the past years that were pretty sure shots, Ryan and Bradford -- tho Bradford has some degree of injury concern. Of course some thought Jamarcus Russell was Tarzan but he didn't have a brain...

A number of smart GM's take a QB nearly every draft (3rd - 6th round) trying to find that guy that can be developed and (a) either traded for some nice compensation or (b) used to replace their current QB.

The issue I have with this regime (besides the obvious blunder of not taking Ryan) is the lackadaisical way the have addressed the position via the draft. They've taken Henne and that’s it! Pat White was such a bad pick (for whatever position they projected him???) it doesn't even remotely matter.

So yea IMO, this regime sinks or swims with Henne because they have neglected the position in obvious anticipation of Henne being “the man.” You put the franchises fate on such a precarious rotten plank and you deserve to be fired. It was plain stupid they didn’t hedge their bet with some other young QB talent – because now it puts us in “desperation mode” trying once again to cut and paste…

Bottom line, in retrospect whiffing on Ryan and then passing on a series of other QB talent for the like of Pat White, Turner, and so forth is ground to be canned. In this league it ALL starts with the QB. And if you don’t get that you simply don’t get NFL Pro Football.

End of story. Where’s the glory?

Date: November 12, 2010 09:21AM

Oh by the way, was Ireland's mom a pro?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 02:20PM

this thread is depressing

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 09:56PM

We should take 1 QB in every draft

Date: November 13, 2010 04:26AM

I still think the offensive game planning (Henning) fits Pennington better.

So, if we really want to develop Henne, then Henning needs to go.

---------------------

Posted by: Hokie Phin ()
Date: November 13, 2010 04:29AM

Matt Ryan...

Date: November 13, 2010 04:32AM

Too late. He plays for the Falcons.

Move on.

---------------------

Date: November 13, 2010 04:37AM

How can people say we wiffed on Matt Ryan? We got a perrenial pro bowl left tackle that year and IMO a solid young QB in the 2nd rnd, it'd be different if we took Tony Mandarich or something, get over people.

Date: November 13, 2010 04:42AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Too late. He plays for the Falcons.
>
> Move on.

Again, I thought you said you were ignoring my posts. Is this another case of you being wrong?

Date: November 13, 2010 05:25AM

Move on.

---------------------

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: November 13, 2010 05:29AM

Nick Foles could be the sleeper in this years draft, maybe Cam Newton who seems to already has some contract negotiation experiencegrinning smiley

Date: November 13, 2010 05:39AM

I think TJ Yates is a sleeper as well. He is in the Dan Marino/Brett Favre- gun slinger- type mold of a QB.

Just ask Hokie after TJ Yates puts up about 50 points on his defense today.

---------------------

Date: November 13, 2010 05:49AM

Like to wager something on Yates putting up 50 points today?

Date: November 13, 2010 06:58AM

Move on... That same philosophy can be applied to Henne, as in "move on" he's already showed what his game is all about and you can't base a consistent winning team with inferior QB play.

Beyond that, we have "moved on" by not drafting sufficient QB talent to develop and thus find ourselves with a 34-year old paper-clipped arm who’s an excellent leader and highly intelligent but physically (???) broken, and two "experiments" who have both proven to have serious issues and/or doubts about their game. (tho I would tend to extend the benefit of doubt more towards Thigpen at this point).

Indeed. Move on Ireland and Co and stop treating the QB position like it’s something you alone can neglect and still produce a winning NFL team. Take away Brady and Belicheat ain't so smart. Take away Brees and watch the Saints fall right back into the trash heap. Take away Manning and watch Indy crumble.

So it may sound like a broken record but whiffing of Ryan is THE MOST DEFINITIVE MOVE this regime has made. Need I remind anyone we had NOTHING at QB at that time (unless of course Beck was somehow the secret answer - NOT) and we did the “safe thing” and drafted Long. Jake is a great player and no one could say a “bad pick,” and ALL-PRO LT’s are great to have – but NOT ESSENTIAL for a highly successful NFL team. The same cannot be said about the QB position. So when you have the chance to draft a franchise talent – when you have NOTHING else on the roster, it’s unforgivable not to.

Of course this regime was betting on the fact Ryan wasn’t the real deal, nor Flacco, and they projected Henne as the man. That singular wager effectively defined their tenure with this franchise. My point is, if you can’t get the really BIG decisions right the smaller ones don’t really matter.

But of course we can all forgive and forget and just “move on” to yet another season of hoping and praying we have a QB capable of getting the team in the end zone a few times a game. But what if we don’t have a legit franchise QB on the roster? And what if Henne is nothing more that what he’s shown? And Thigpen is a nice athlete but not legit starting material?

What do we really have then? And how do we just “move on” from here?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.