HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          vikes - phins....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
vikes - phins....
Posted by: vikeinmontana ()
Date: September 13, 2010 04:46PM

hey all. i usually like to find a board and strike up a conversation with the opponents fans the week before the game. i'm really excited for our matchup. vikes looked pretty rusty against the saints so i'm really looking forward to their progress when we meet in the dome. how are the phins looking so far? any major injuries or anything like that? here's a few thing to look for as far as the vikes are concerned. you guys are certainly playing us at the right time i think. our oline looks bad, sidney rice is out, favre looks old, and our secondary is without 2 players who will likely be starters in griffin and cook. top top it off i truly believe coach childress is one of the most clueless coaches there is in the league. please don't take me as one of those fans that thinks every coach is horrible and that i could do a better job because i'm not like that. but i think he has a few glaring weaknesses...the biggest being i don't think he has the respect of any of his players. i truly believe they think he's and idiot and sometimes it shows in our play. 2 huge things pissed me off about our last game. one has to do with your boy camarillo. i have always liked that guy and i was excited when we got him. although i was disapointed we had to lose renaud. that guy is a hell of a punt returner and now we look suspect in that regard as well. anyway, i was shocked to see that camarillo hardly played at all despite the fact our receiveres are paper thin right now and he catches everything! let's just say i really hope he's more involved in our offense this weekend and i'd really like to see him covering punts. the thing that pissed me off most though was our inability to keep adrian peterson involved in the game. he only got 6 carries in the second half and NONE in the 4th quarter! just don't how you have one of the best backs in the league and you don't give him the ball. as for our game on sunday i think we matchup well. you have good backs but i love our front seven. i don't think henne strikes fear in too many opponents but our corners are so weak right now he could have a field day connecting with marshall and the rest of your receivers! i don't know much about your defense but if you get pressure on favre i think you have a shot at winning the game. he still hasn't found that chemistry with the rest of our offense and our defense wqas on the field far too long. our best weapon this early in the season may be the fact that we are playing at home in the dome and we almost never lose there. here's to a great game!smileys with beer

p.s. my wife and i always have a party on game day with food inspired from our opponents home town. last week we made some mean jumbalaya! what is a staple there in miami? i assume it probably has a latin or cuban flair but i admit i'm ignorant in this area. any advice would be appreciated. thanks guys and good luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vikes - phins....
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 05:22PM

hello viking, to answer your food question: Roasted Lechon (Pork) Sandwiches, Roasted Chicken with Rice and Black Beans is very common, Fish Platters, are all huge customary meals in the interior of Miami. When you go to the more upscale parts, you get more eastern world styled --sushi, and veggie dishes but they aren't really specific to Miami.

On Injuries : Seems only Odrick had a bit of a major leg bruise but seems like he'd be back for the Viking game. Alma-Francis, the starting LB was out sick so expect to see him in the aqua for this game. Our coach seems to be great at preparation but not the best at quick decisions. Our Defensive Coordinator probably has some surprises in store for your team on the containment of AP, and the confusing of Farve. Our Offense is still sputtering, and it's going to be difficult to move the ball on the ground against that tough Minny run D.

I expect a low scoring yet exciting game. Enjoy.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 13, 2010 05:26PM

If the Dolphins o-line can handle the Williams boys at DT then Miami has a great shot to win on the road.

If the Williams boys abuse the rookie Jerry, then it will be tough for the Fins to score. Hence, tough for them to win

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: September 13, 2010 05:40PM

I always enjoy a classy fan from an opponent. I saw your game versus the saints and farve looked old didn't seem to have that spark he had last yr. Camarillo needs to be involved in your offense the guy has sunction cups for hands I was really surprised he was only thrown to 2-3 times.

Your D looks nasty and even though your best wideout is out Harvin, Camarillo, and Barian can expose our young secondary. This should be a fun game to watch, enjoy the game and here's to hoping the phins win ( sorry bud Bette luck after wk 2 )

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: September 13, 2010 06:29PM

If I was a opposing fan that and had a food inspired by my opponent and was playing the Dolphins, I would have grilled Dolphin...(also called Mahi-Mahi) That be what I would go with, great tasting fish and fits the bill....

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:01AM

More on Cuban / Miami food:

Palomilla steak. It's a THIN cut of steak--in other words, the opposite of what most Americans prefer, usually from one of the cheaper cuts of beef (round, I think but I'm not sure). Marinated slightly with lime juice, cooked in a pan, topped with onions and a little more lime juice. It can also be breaded the same way a veal cutlet does. Also can be made into a steak sandwich.

Side dishes can be black beans & rice as mentioned earlier, but it's not just plain beans--they're seasoned with cumin and/or "adobo" which is a hispanic seasoning mix. Also, plantains in two styles: "tostones" which are green plantains cooked twice (fried, smashed, fried again)--and "maduros", ripe plantains cooked in a pan (they're sweet and the sugar caramelizes when cooked--yum! Another side dish is yuca (cassava), preferably fried.

For dessert, flan (an egg custard with so many yolks your cholesterol will double).

There are two cuban sodas to drink: Ironbeer and Materva. They also drink "malta" which I think is kinda gross, it's a sweetened malt beverage without alcohol. Like Zima without the alcohol. Ironically I don't think I"ve ever seen a Cuban beer but "Presidente" is fairly in Miami. I don't think you'll find much of this in Montana.

Damn, I'm hungry now.

Date: September 14, 2010 05:01AM

Palomilla is Sirloin

Date: September 14, 2010 05:09AM

ranger1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Palomilla is Sirloin

Thanks ranger!

Whenever I ask a butcher in New England about it, I get a blank stare and sometimes a mention of "sandwich steak"

Now I know I want sirloin sliced thin, thanks

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 14, 2010 05:09AM

vikeinmontana - I appreciate your perspective. I would say that this is one of those opportunities for the Phins to steal one that they probably shoudln't, based on the circumstances you describe. I kind of think it will be one of those games that both teams sort of let early momentum dictate. In other words, if we are able to frustrate Favre and AP early and score 7 or 10 points before allowing Minn a TD, then it could be just enough to give us the confidence we need to carry through the rest of the game while simultaneously taking the wind out of Minnesota's sails for the rest of the game. If it goes the other way, I could see us really struggling to have the energy &/or mindset to mount even a small comeback.

All that said, there are the normal disclaimers: turnovers, penalties, etc.

Date: September 14, 2010 06:34AM

nice replies guys. thanks for the food ideas. i've already started a little research and we'll see what we can come up with. we actually were thinking some seafood of some sort but i don't have to explain that it is hard getting the freshest of seafood living in montana! but i appreciate all of the idieas. it's just something we like to do to add a little fun to our gamedays.

as for the game itself i agree with everything you said. i think the phins are a playoff team this year and it should really be a good idea of where we stand when all is said and done. i know the season is early but based on our future schedule this game is almost a must-win for the vikes. after we play you guys we have the lions before our bye. and don't laugh but the lions game is never a gimmie being a division game and all. but after our bye we're at the jets, home against the cowboys, at green bay and at new england!even after that it doesn't get much easier as we play the cardinals, bears, packers again and redskins! ugh. based on how we typically play on the road, beating you guys at home is pretty important. i think we're only as good as our offensive line and so far they haven't showed us much. i'm obviously bias but i think that peterson is the best back in the league and i wish he had opportunities to show that. i was watching the titans game sunday and was almost sick at seeing how big of holes that guy gets to run through! not taking anything away from him but it just has me feeling jealous. kinda like wondering what barry sanders would have done running behind the cowboys o-line in the 90's! as always i'm worried about our secondary as well. and for the love of god our grandpa qb needs to somehow stay healthy because if we honestly have to start tavaris jackson at quarterback we might not even make the playoffs!drinking smiley

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:39AM

Best Black Beans and Rice. This comes from and old Cuban friend that I had to pull teeth to get this simple family receipt.
1 can black beans
2 garlic buttons chopped up
1 bay leaf
1/2 onions chopped up
about 1 TB spoon olive oil
About 1 TB spoon wine vinegar

Heat all together till garlic an onion is done. Spoon over rice. Add some more chopped onion on top.
True Cuban and easy.

Now marinate some chicken in Mojo Creolo for about 3 hrs and grill slowly. Again true Cuban.
If you can't find the Mojo go on line there are a thousand receipts for it.
Great stuff.smileys with beer
Rum drinks also work well.

Good to hear from a classy enemy

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:50AM

vikeinmontana Wrote:
> after we play you guys we have the lions before
> our bye. and don't laugh but the lions game is
> never a gimmie being a division game and all. but
> after our bye we're at the jets, home against the
> cowboys, at green bay and at new england!even
> after that it doesn't get much easier as we play
> the cardinals, bears, packers again and redskins!
> ugh.

And people say our schedule is tough. Except for next week, I'll be rooting for the Vikes.

And you can't go wrong with any of the recipes on this board.

As for beverages - it may be cliche - but a good Cuban Mojito is the way to go with rum. Though, I'd figure you Viking fan are more preferential to Mead.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:52AM

Date: September 14, 2010 07:02AM

Okay, now you got me going.
This is a Cuban Bean Salid. Best I've had and goes with anything.

Please, Please don't grill a Dolphin.moody smiley

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 fresh jalapeƱo pepper, seeded, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1-1/2 cups chopped CLAUSSEN Kosher Dill Pickles
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 red pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
2 green onions, sliced
1 tomato, chopped

MIX oil, cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, jalapeno pepper and oregano in large bowl until well blended.

ADD remaining ingredients; mix lightly. Cover. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Stir gently just before serving.

Salad may be prepared the day ahead. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Substitute lime juice for lemon juice if desired.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 14, 2010 07:14AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Best Black Beans and Rice. This comes from and old
> Cuban friend that I had to pull teeth to get this
> simple family receipt.
> 1 can black beans
> 2 garlic buttons chopped up
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/2 onions chopped up
> about 1 TB spoon olive oil
> About 1 TB spoon wine vinegar
>
> Heat all together till garlic an onion is done.
> Spoon over rice. Add some more chopped onion on
> top.
> True Cuban and easy.

My grandmother would use green pepper in the dish instead of onion. The Cuban food in Orlando just doesn't compare to Miami. I'm hungry!

Date: September 14, 2010 07:22AM

"My grandmother would use green pepper in the dish instead of onion. The Cuban food in Orlando just doesn't compare to Miami. I'm hungry!"

Funny, I had a Puerto Rican friend that did it that way.
Dam, I making a Cuban feast this weekend. That's all there is to it!!hot smiley

Date: September 14, 2010 08:45AM

montequi Wrote:
> Leon In Denver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----.....
>
> My grandmother would use green pepper in the dish
> instead of onion. The Cuban food in Orlando just
> doesn't compare to Miami. I'm hungry!

The recipe I'm familiar with uses chopped onion but also a whole green pepper chucked into the pot for flavor. Plus a little bit of red wine.

Cuban Beans and Rice is like Italian spaghetti sauce; different families have different recipes. Almost all are very good.

And yes, RUM, I can't believe I forgot to recommend rum. Mojitos, daiquiris (the original daiquiri, not the frozen 7-11 slurpee kind), and even a plain old Rum & Coke is a Cuban mixed drink called a Cuba Libre.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: September 14, 2010 11:50AM

wow vikinmontana, you may be the nicest rival fan that ever came on this board... I want to blurt out smack talk about how were are going to kick the crap out of you guys and how much the viks suck but I almost feel bad saying that since you seem like a really nice guy... So I will say hope for a good game which is injury free and I think you should have a bit more confidence in jackson, he was thrown in as a rookie and last year or the year before (dont remember which) he came in and played very well.

Date: September 14, 2010 12:19PM

JC Wrote:
> ranger1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Palomilla is Sirloin
>
>
> Thanks ranger!
>
> Whenever I ask a butcher in New England about it,
> I get a blank stare and sometimes a mention of
> "sandwich steak"
>
> Now I know I want sirloin sliced thin, thanks

That's cause none of your butchers up there are Cuban

Date: September 14, 2010 12:23PM

Leon I am making black beans tonight, you got me going

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:22PM

You all should just shut up about the food/cuban food already its making me hungry.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:23PM

And i just finished eating. Go figure.

Go phins.

Date: September 14, 2010 01:42PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 14, 2010 02:38PM

Vikings wearing THROWBACK jerseys this week vs Miami

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 14, 2010 04:27PM

MikeO Wrote:
> Vikings wearing THROWBACK jerseys this week vs
> Miami

How far back? This could be good for us. Remember, we beat them in Superbowl VIII!! drinking smiley

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 14, 2010 06:22PM

Well im not the classy one.

I rooted for the Vikes last year to go all the way, and I want to see Favre get another ring as a old man, HOWEVER your team can kick rocks this sunday.

Your NT's looked OLD, and like they needed to retire.

Your O-line is average, and will get Favre sacked, and is struggling to open up the big holes for AP.

PLAY GERHART!!!! AND HARTLINE, otherwise you can kiss your season goodbye.

We will bring the kitchen sink, and we will be sacking Favre, Shiancoe is going to have a decent day.

We should win the game 23-20.

Good luck, and may the more manly team win!!

PS I dont like it when a fan registere's then never comes back, THAT is not classy.

So I appreciate it if you could make it a point to be a little relevant, by checking in every now and then, because we all know deep down your a dolphins fan. tongue sticking out smiley

Its obvious that your tracking the pro career of our kicker who is from your state lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 06:23PM by Mia1.

Date: September 14, 2010 07:27PM

ha, you guys to have a few montana boys on your roster. unfortunately i'm a cat and they're both griz! but it's always cool seeing montana kids playin' the highest level of football there is. i'll try and remember to pop in from time to time as the season goes on. i have always kind of liked the dolphins as they have never really had much impact on the vikes. except for the superbowl but i wasn't born yet so i can't be too upset about that! you may be right about the outcome but i honestly don't think so. i think our teams are actually pretty even but it's the vikes home opener and they don't lose in that place. it'll be rockin'. however, i've been a fan long enough to see way worse things happen so if you sneak in there and get a win i certainly won't be surprised. im thinking the vikes win 31-24.smileys with beer

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 15, 2010 02:24AM

Hey vikeinmontana, you know how you yourself can criticize a friend or family member and it's alright, but if an outsider does it you defend your friend or family member? Mia1 is one of ours.....but none of us would mindsmileys with beer

Date: September 15, 2010 05:54AM

ya i know how that goes. trust me, there are times when i can be way more of an ass but that is normally reserved for the packers, bears, and cowboys! i guess it's just easier being respectful to a non-division foe than it is those idiots from green bay or those clowns from new york who act like they are the best team in football yet they haven't won anything yet! but as a whole i like to talk to people on these boards just like i would if i met them in person. i think if everyone tried to do that you'd eliminate a lot of the nonsense! but a little trash talk is always fun and i welcome it....

Date: September 15, 2010 06:43AM

So Vikei, you hate the Jets too? That makes you alright with us.thumbs up

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.