HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Wow this is bad
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Wow this is bad
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:11PM

Wow we got some injuries, and wow my sails just got deflated.

This was a horrible night, and not looking good for our team.

Wow I mean just we need so much work, and got some big injuries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wow this is bad
Posted by: BobT ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:19PM

Big injuries? Grove looked to be dinged up (again), Haynos was the only injury that looked bad, and he is the 3rd TE. You make it sound like Marshall, Brown, and Williams all went out with broken bones...
The Colts looked pretty bad last night, along with NE, and I think they'll be OK this season.
The Falcons played better tonight, I doubt this means we'll be 0-16 this season. A few errors here and there. We'll get better....

Date: August 27, 2010 05:22PM

micah johnson looked really good.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:23PM

BobT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big injuries? Grove looked to be dinged up
> (again), Haynos was the only injury that looked
> bad, and he is the 3rd TE. You make it sound like
> Marshall, Brown, and Williams all went out with
> broken bones...
> The Colts looked pretty bad last night, along with
> NE, and I think they'll be OK this season.
> The Falcons played better tonight, I doubt this
> means we'll be 0-16 this season. A few errors here
> and there. We'll get better....

Exactly. NO big injuries. And no reason for concern.These preseason games are worthless. Don't judge this team will Week 1. If we play this way vs Buffalo then scream and yell from the roof tops. Until then you can't get worked up over these meaningless games.

Posted by: finman34 ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:24PM

I think it was just one game that wasn't a great effort on our part. With Mike Nolan and Dansby, we pretty much know our defense will be better than last year. We added Brandon Marshall on offense as well so that alone should really improve us on offense from last year. We also have an easier schedule.

I think it was just a rough night, and being preseason, I'm sure we had players not playing at their max. I gotta give props to Vontae Davis though! Watch out Revis! There is a new Sheriff at CB in the league!

Maybe I'm overly confident but i'm not worried at all! Go Phins!!

Date: August 27, 2010 05:32PM

I seen the lines not doing as well.
Grove is always hurt. Berger will be our starting center some time in the season, and that is what worries me.

Haynos I hope isnt to serious, but you never know. He is a solid TE, and he does a good job blocking.

I hope Martin is ready.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:55PM

I think the biggest concern is that we have not really seen any decent running game out of the first team base offense. It's been nothing special in the first two games, and was really pathetic tonight.

Micah Johnson played really well, even playing some with the first team defense. And when the second team defense was on, he was the guy with the helmet radio making the defensive calls.

I think both Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace look better than Patrick Turner.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:06PM

> Micah Johnson played really well, even playing
> some with the first team defense. And when the
> second team defense was on, he was the guy with
> the helmet radio making the defensive calls.
>
> I think both Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace look
> better than Patrick Turner.

I have been intrigued by both Micah Johnson and Roberto Wallace. I think they both deserve to make the team. Wallace gets less publicity than Moore, but I like him more. I think I would rather have both Wallace and Moore over Turner.

Vontae Davis gets major kudos for a great game.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:38PM

Posted by: PhinParis ()
Date: August 28, 2010 12:01AM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> I think the biggest concern is that we have not
> really seen any decent running game out of the
> first team base offense. It's been nothing special
> in the first two games, and was really pathetic
> tonight.
>
> Micah Johnson played really well, even playing
> some with the first team defense. And when the
> second team defense was on, he was the guy with
> the helmet radio making the defensive calls.
>
> I think both Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace look
> better than Patrick Turner.

I think that the coaching staff have seen enough of the running game in last week game. So they tried some plays that didn't work but i think the playcalling will be much different in the regular season.

When the regular season starts, we will be OK

Go Dolphins!!!! Go Henne!!!!

Date: August 28, 2010 02:10AM

It's amazing to me that we still get so many positive yardage plays out of the wildcat. It really is shocking that now its no surprise, everyone knows its coming, and we still run it for positive yardage.

Date: August 28, 2010 02:28AM

Jason Allen starts last night, gives up a TD!

Shocking I know!

We have an issue at CB. Benny Sapp might be starting there sooner than we think. Sean Smith has issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 02:30AM by MikeO.

Date: August 28, 2010 02:49AM

Well, at least our first game is against the Bills. Why does it bother you that we can run the wildcat?

Its what this team does well Mikeo. Im just worried about the straight up running game. Maybe its just our line needs to gel.

On both fronts really, but your right Phinparis now is not the time to panic, just must be the team not gelled right now.

Date: August 28, 2010 03:14AM

who says it bothers me? I am just making an observation.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:33AM

I don't think Johnson makes the roster too slow. I think it will be our boy J.D. Folsom who is the better special teams player out of the two, and not to mention faster than Johnson.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:37AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Jason Allen starts last night, gives up a TD!
>
> Shocking I know!
>
>
> We have an issue at CB. Benny Sapp might be
> starting there sooner than we think. Sean Smith
> has issues

Smith had one bad play, as far as I could see, and that was an incomplete pass anyway. Sapp's an average nickel back. He will NOT be starting.

As for Allen, I've heard he relies too much on his athleticism and not enough on his head (i.e. he's not very smart). That kind of thing works from time-to-time but does get you in trouble. He had a couple nicely defensed passes, but he blew it on the TD.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 28, 2010 03:40AM

The one thing I saw was an inconsistency in pass rush which could be attributed to the way we were shuttling in and out players. We had a bunch of guys who are on-the-bubble playing with the 1st string. When we had our regular set in (Odrick, Starks, Langford, Wake, Dansby, Misi, Dobbins, Bell, Clemons, Davis, Smith) we played pretty well!

Vontae Davis was a BEAST all game!!! This guy is going to be a pro bowler this year!

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:19AM

Finshady Wrote:
> I don't think Johnson makes the roster too slow.
> I think it will be our boy J.D. Folsom who is the
> better special teams player out of the two, and
> not to mention faster than Johnson.

You say that Folsom is a better special team player. What are you basing that on? I have heard nothing out of camp that compares the two players as special teamers. Personally, I like Johnson's potential better. He shows up during the games and Folsom doesn't. I think the coaching staff has noticed him more which is probably why he actually had 1st team reps last night while Folsom and Spitler play together in the 4th.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:42AM

The problem I saw was lack of intensity almost all around. Mostly on the o-line. They failed to get any push in the run game and were not very good in pass protection.

Not a big concern at this point as the intensity should be there for week 1. The o-line coach needs to correct the problem but I'm sure they will be ready. Not having the opportunity to play all 5 on a consistent basis could be the issue.

I did see some intensity on the defense. Notably, Vontae, Dansby, Carroll, Bell, Francis, Misi and Micah Johnson. It will be interesting to see how many ILB's we keep. (I see Crowder is still nursing) Dansby, Crowder, Dobbins and Johnson my be kept with one of 09's RB positions eliminated. We need to get some consistency at the CB position. Davis played well but that has been his m.o.. He is up and then down.

Not much pass rush without any blitz packages. We HAVE to find a way to get pressure from the base package.

One thing I will say is that TS has his work cut out for him in choosing the right 53. There is some potential and talent among the young players. Our WR's are going to be a very good unit...never mind the drops.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: August 28, 2010 05:00AM

Could be they've screwed up team chemistry with the Camarillo trade...I mean come on. Very had to watch the receivers that remain drop so many passes when the guy who dropped nothing was just traded. Reminds me of the Wes Welker incident.

If we get our butts handed to us against the Vikings and I was the owner I'd have Parcells upstairs for a visit.

You don't think a team needs chemistry to win a Superbowl?????

Better talk to the Saints and Sean Payton. There was alot of chemistry on that team last year.

This was an inexcusable loss, which should have been a dress rehearsal for an excellent season.

Inexcusable....

Date: August 28, 2010 05:43AM

I agree Chris, that this was just lack of interest, and execution, a few guys showed up, but the lines on both sides really pissed me off.

I would be lighting the linemans up, if I was Sparano. I hope he does, because I mean wow, lifeless was what I watched.

Date: August 28, 2010 05:48AM

Loss doesn't mean as much as the performance by the starters. Players know this is a business and should be professionals. Some may not have wanted Cam to leave but it should not have that big of an effect for a player that may not have even seen the field much this year. Being sentimental for a guy that was popular for one catch is not something that they can afford.

Team chemistry is going to be fine. Players know that you perform and make yourself irreplaceable or you can and will be gone.

Chemistry is important but Greg Camarillo was not a huge leader. He was a fan favorite because he was an underdog. Players want to know that the best players play. So far they are.

inexcusable? I heard no one making excuses. They know they have work to do.

.....................................................................................

Date: August 29, 2010 05:02AM

Date: August 29, 2010 06:05AM

I sure hope Will Allen gets healthy quick! Having him healthy would be a huge boost to our secondary. I have a feeling his days are numbered though with a 5.2 mil salary this year.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 09:56AM

All of this talk that you cant judge anything until week 1 is not correct IMO. It is correct you cannot judge a teams performance by score in preseason but you have to judge and evaluate players individual performances, from practice to preseason. Players are not suppose to and dont like to get beat by the guy on the opposite side of the ball that they are responsible for beating, no matter when or where. And alot of our guys got beat consistently against Atlanta, Our blocking was bad, not so much on the interior but more by the TE's and edges of line of scrimmage on offense. Our pass rush was dismal as well, and so was the FS work.
As others said, we lacked intensity, had no consistency and executed poorly...
Only preseason but as Sparano said, .....it is never OK or no big deal to play like that.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:10AM

Crowder52, no one is saying that they are "ok" with the fairly lackluster performance against Atlanta. But since it is only preseason, I will reserve my judgement until the team performs in the regular season. It is the preseason and the alarm bells should not be going off for anyone.

Posted by: DolfanMike ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:15AM

I don't hold as dim a view of this game as some.

Atlanta is a VERY good football team. They are well coached and loaded with talent. We went into half time down by one score, and, if not for a bad decision by our normally solid starting QB, it would have been closer or tied.

It wasn't as like we were getting blown out. It was a very close game, against good competition. Who knows what would have happened had it been a full game with the starters.

A few things that worry me:

1. Offensive Play calling - I still think we need to go upfield more. There were a bunch of outside runs, but Atlanta is a very quick team. Meanwhile we have guys that can pound it inside. It was as if the inside run game was abandon. Add to that the strange clock management at the end of the 2nd Qtr, and I don't think the coaching staff had a great game day.

2. Henne and Marshall still don't seem on the same page. They are getting better, but Marshall still disappears for long periods. This should get better as time goes on.

3. Though Vonte and Bell had good games, our other DBs are still getting torched. I'm not buying into the "Nolan isn't showing everything" argument. Those fancy blitz schemes won't always get to the QB, and if the DBs can't cover in a base package they certainly aren't going to do it on an island in a blitz situation. We need Will Allen bad. Sapp will help in the Nickle. But we have serious problems with the FS.

IMO, our biggest holes right now are the Offensive coordinator and FS. I don't like what I've seen from either so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 10:18AM by DolfanMike.

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 10:37AM

i would ease off the concern on the offensive play calling. they know they can run inside, they did it all year last year. they are probably trying out plays that they want to look at in a game situation. just trying different things and seeing how the defense reacts. play calling will change dramatically in the regular season.

i agree on the minor concern over marshall and henne getting on the same page.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 29, 2010 12:50PM

It looked to me that Allen had decent position to the outside on that TD and was looking for safety help on the inside. Who was the safety on that play? It just looked too easy. If he wasn't supposed to get safety help on the play, then he had poor position.

Rick

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: August 29, 2010 03:16PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> It looked to me that Allen had decent position to
> the outside on that TD and was looking for safety
> help on the inside. Who was the safety on that
> play? It just looked too easy. If he wasn't
> supposed to get safety help on the play, then he
> had poor position.

Clemons was the safety on that side of the field on that play. You are exactly right. As fans, it's easy to sit here and say, oh, Jason Allen got burned again. But, we really have no idea what the coverage was. Allen looked to be playing an outside technique right off the snap, which in that part of the field, should indicate that he thought he had safety help. If that was the case, then Allen did his job, and that's a blown assignment by Clemons. If Allen was playing outside technique there with no safety help, then that is poor technique on his part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.