HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          If you were the brain trust.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If you were the brain trust.
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:43AM

What would you do now. I would trade Ginn,and Smiley for draft picks. Then I would trade my 1st round draft pick ,and move down in the draft. Then acquire another 2nd round pick. Do you guys beleive the brain trust has secretly worked this out, and it will all unfold like this on darft day. Or do you guys beleive their could be other options that the Brain trust have in mind in case their 1st options fall through. If you beleive they have a plan B what do you guys beleive would be the boldest move we could make on draft day to shake up the whole draft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you were the brain trust.
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:56AM

Date: April 14, 2010 08:01AM

Sorry I did not notice the thread that you started. However thanks for the input.

Date: April 14, 2010 08:08AM

No reason for sorry dude. Just thinking the same way that's all. My comments were part of another thread anyway.

Maybe we can bomb NE during the 2nd round and have them forfeit their picks??? It's a plan...

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 08:32AM

lets trade our 1st for ALLLLL of NEs 2NDs

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: April 14, 2010 09:10AM

I say use our 1st round pick to take the best defensive player available. FS, NT, OLB. Not necessarily in that order.
Then use the rest to fill in where ever.

Remember, all those 2nds that NE has will be unproven rookies. The likely hood that they will be impact players is not a sure thing. But a first rounder at 12 should be.
Unless we can get a starter in the second round I really don't see an advantage in trading down.

Date: April 14, 2010 09:25AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 14, 2010 09:26AM

I'd make Marshall, Ginn and Hartline the starters for one.

I'd package Bess and Camarillo, Turner and Smiley for a mid to low first round pick.

Then, I draft Sergio Kindle at #12 and use the newly aquired first to draft Demaryius Thomas.

I then draft DT's, Jared Odrick or Dam Williams in the second round along with S, Kendrick Lewis.

The rest of the draft would then go for defensive depth.

That leaves us:

Bryant, Ginn, Thomas, Hartline, Grice-Mullen, Johnson, Pruitt going into camp making our group of WR's much bigger AND faster.

And Addresses NT, OLB, and WR in the first two rounds.

Go ahread...poke holes in the logic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 09:29AM by Ken.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 14, 2010 09:35AM

Marshall, Hartline, Bess, Ginn isn't an awful 4 WR set. Good enough to win keep defenses honest.

I have never been as down on Ginn as others have, so I would keep him.

Date: April 14, 2010 09:43AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 14, 2010 09:54AM

Ginn for a 5th is not worth it. Marshall will open things up for him. They can't double both of them. I would keep him as well.

No way in hell I would trade down. We have to get Earl Thomas now. I don't see any OLB in the draft that is going to come in and make as big an impact as a stud FS.

None are even close to the skill set that DeMarcus Ware had when he was drafted at 10. None have the size and speed that meet the prototype. There are guys that are 6'4 but only run a 4.7. Ware ran a 4.56-4.6 40 and had the agility to drop in coverage.

We will need to sign JT to make this happen.

Look at all the games last year that we lost because of quick strike plays over the top.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 14, 2010 09:58AM

Gruden and Mayock are so in love with this Earl Thomas its not even funny. They are so in love that I have done some more reading on him and I am against adding a rookie to our secondary cause Vonte and Smith are esentially still rookies, but if Mayock and Gruden are right then Earl Thomas would be no rookie. Those 2 are giving him such high praise I wouldnt mind adding him

Date: April 14, 2010 10:03AM

Ginn for a 4th is worth it IMO -- if for no other reason than to move on from the project.

I tend to agree about Thomas -- though I'd still strongly consider moving down if (a) Thomas is gone and/or (b) we get a very favorable offer.

You're correct about plays over the top, and our biggest issue was on 1st and 2nd down -- we were pretty stout on 3rd down.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:10AM

I would trade down pick up a nose tackle then a safety. After those 2 picks I would add a running back an O lineman and another wide receiver then the best available line backer still onm the board. I think the brain trust will resign JT, and I beleive our team is already better than last years team based on the off season we have had so far. The key to this being a sucsessful season is injuries. The year before very few injuries we won our division. Last year many more injuries and we missed the playoffs. I am just saying you can make all the right moves, and still miss the playoffs because of injuries. Here is hoping that this year we stay relatively injury free. I still think that this team will make some noise this year.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:15AM

Date: April 14, 2010 10:18AM

I think if pennington would of stayed healthy last year we would of made the playoffs. Henne was good,but at time played like a rookie.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:18AM

Whats more important? Adding a FS that is a true difference maker or a NT that may not even see the field as a rookie and is only a 2 down player? Add to that a 3rd round safety...and expecting him to start in the first year....highly unlikely.

We need a full time starter in the first round. Parcels found two high quality NT's in the 7th round. I would rather see us pick one up in the 4th that could hopefully develop a bit quicker than Fergy and Ratliff.

.....................................................................................

Date: April 14, 2010 10:27AM

I think Henne won us games with his arm that Pennington couldn't have won last year.

Just an opinion, we will never know.

Date: April 14, 2010 10:50AM

Even though Marshall is considered a true #1...he only runs a 4.55...I would love to keep Ginn as he is our only super fast guy.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 11:08AM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 11:37AM

Date: April 14, 2010 12:09PM

Do you see Hughes or Graham as the next Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware?

Or maybe a Lamar Woodley? He is almost identical to LW.

I wouldn't be terribly upset but I just don't think the FO will break prototype for a "big guy" in the first round. It's not a factor IMO as it is only 2" but he is not as fast (or big) as SM or DW...

Date: April 14, 2010 12:09PM

I think you guys are forgetting that Brian Hartline was a steal last year in the 4th round he is big and fast, and has good hands. I think he should start opposite Marshall with Camarillo,and Bess when we use 4 wide receivers. I don't think Ted Ginn wants to get hurt or has the desire to make the tough catches over the middle. I think Hartline with Marshall gives us two damn good starting wide receivers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 12:10PM by Finshady.

Date: April 14, 2010 12:28PM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you guys are forgetting that Brian
> Hartline was a steal last year in the 4th round he
> is big and fast, and has good hands. I think he
> should start opposite Marshall with Camarillo,and
> Bess when we use 4 wide receivers. I don't think
> Ted Ginn wants to get hurt or has the desire to
> make the tough catches over the middle. I think
> Hartline with Marshall gives us two damn good
> starting wide receivers.

I loved Hartline coming out of the draft last year and the kid is going to be a special player IMO. He's smart, tough, sneaky fast, disiplined, great routes, excellent hands, long, and seriously -- what's not to like about his upside?

The forgotten man here is P Turner. If (???) this dude can turn the corner and make things happen this year -- we can put some SERIOUS SIZE on the field with Marshall - Hartline - Turner. Add the speed of Teddy Bear and the slot chops of Bessy and damn -- we're suddenly talkin' 'bout some serious shit 'round here mofo.

Of course my "fantasy" is based on Turner ramping his game into something beyond a USC pro day (and lacking Petey Carrol it won't be the same anyway).

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 12:31PM by BigNastyFish.

Date: April 14, 2010 12:56PM

Either way....Hartline and Marshall or Ginn and Marshall. Bess has secured the slot position and will be a great possession receiver.

Camarillo is making almost twice what Ginn makes at this point but I still like him. Most likely starters are Marshall and Hartline with Bess in the slot.

What if Turner steps up and learns something from Marshall? Can you imagine having Turner and Marshall as red zone threats? If Turner or Ginn step up this year we could be running the spread on occasion.

It seems as if Ginn is the odd man out now. Anyway you slice it, it almost ensures Henne as a 4k yard QB this year. He projected to 3,410 last year if he had started all 16 games.

I also think we can say goodbye to the Wildcat now.

What's the most we can get for Brown? a conditional 4th if were lucky. maybe pick 118 from Houston. (58 points in draft value chart)

Smiley...a conditional 4th...#122 from GB (50 points)

Ginn...a conditional 5th at best. #156 (29 points)

That adds up to 137 points or 3-90 overall selection. We gave up 470 points this year for Marshall.

Right now we have 1-12, 3-73, 4-110, 6-173, 6-174, 6-179, 7-212, 7-219 & 7-252. (4-118, 4-122 & 5-156)

1-12=1200 points
3-73=225 points
4-110=74 points
6-173=23
6-174=22
6-179=20
7-212=7
7-219=4
7-252....(can't trade compensatory pick)

If we were very lucky and could deal those above players, we would have to give up quite a bit to use them to move up.

Or a trade with say...SF in the first to move from 12 to 17, we would pick up 250 points and a 3rd-79 and pick 4-113.

Or a trade with Houston from 12 to 20 to pick up 350 points. Their 2nd round pick (51) is worth 390 points so we would have to give them back two sixth rounders to make up the 40 points.

Date: April 14, 2010 01:03PM

Date: April 14, 2010 01:15PM

Date: April 14, 2010 01:33PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I'd package Bess and Camarillo, Turner and Smiley
> for a mid to low first round pick.
>
> I then draft DT's, Jared Odrick or Dam Williams in
> the second round along with S, Kendrick Lewis.
>
> Go ahread...poke holes in the logic.
>
> How in the world do you package 4 players like
> that? And even if you could, I don't see that
> adding up to a 1st round pick. Bess is a player,
> and Cam is a gamer -- Turner has proven ZERO and
> Smiley is hurt.
>
> Other than that -- where in the world are you
> getting those 2nd round picks? As of right now we
> don't have one, let alone the multiple picks your
> post seems to suggest.

RE: It's called just waking up and not having caffeine yet...

Date: April 14, 2010 02:07PM

Here is what I whould do now that I have had caffeine. smiling smiley

1-12, LB, Sergio Kindle.

See below...move up to between 15 and 32 and take Demaryius Thomas.

3-73, DT, Torrell Troup or Lineval Joseph.

4-110, LB, Rennie Curren, DE, Clifton Geathers or S, Darrell Stuckey.

6-173, S, Quentin Scott

Package whatever combination of these picks and players (Bess, Camarillo, Turner and Smiley etc. But I'd still keep Ginn for another season unless someone would give up a second for him. His speed IMHO is too valuable.) that it takes to move up into the bottom of the first round and pick up a pick between 15 and 32 ) 6-174, 6-179, 7-212, 7-219)

Whatever we have left should be strickly BPA.

This gives us upgrades on both sides of the ball and depth on defense.

Date: April 14, 2010 02:16PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.