HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          marshsall to phin for two 2s!!!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: marshsall to phin for two 2s!!!
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 14, 2010 07:11PM

he'll give it up when marshall pays him for it, he can afford it now

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 15, 2010 02:48AM

> I don't see any pass rusher that is as close to a sure thing and can
> play all 3 phases in the rookie year.

I agree, and why does it seem like everyone is writing off Cam Wake. Wake has the potential to be one of the best pure pass rushers in the league! His productivity as a pass rusher last year was unreal!

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 15, 2010 03:07AM

> the only thing that im not that excited about i read he is the highest payed wr in the nfl history! ... thats alot of $$$

1. BTW it is for 5 years as, they signed him to an extention (gets remaining time on existing plus the 4 yrs, so I heard.

2. Keep in mind that #12 draft position will also hit you for a lot of change. If we had drafted Dez Bryant at #12, we'd still be putting out a lot of cash for an unproven NFL guy with off-field questions, and onfield proof needed.

3. I feel good about it overall. The FO had to do something like this at one of the key need positions. Why you might ask?

- Look at the exposure and game day risk of our division, with holes at safety, new corners, NT and OLB ... people are going to score on us until the defense gets better (which may be on into the year).

- Having a true #1 receiver is going to allow the offense to get better (QB, other WRs, run game / play acton), and the defense to take a few risks and still be in the game.

- Understand the high price argument - 2 #2s, and the cash ... but its a good move.

4. On the cash issue - Right move to fix the problem

- Brandon marshall has had an "I feel disrespected" chip on his shoulder for some time now.

- It is my hope that he play's his arse off as a result of the newfound confidence the team put forth in this regard.

- Risky? maybe ... I think a smart move.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 15, 2010 03:16AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Wake has the potential to
> be one of the best pure pass rushers in the
> league!

That is stretching it a bit. Best pass rusher in the league......please! Let's get expectations under control!!!

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 15, 2010 03:52AM

MikeO Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Wake has the potential to
> > be one of the best pure pass rushers in the
> > league!
>
>
> That is stretching it a bit. Best pass rusher in
> the league......please! Let's get expectations
> under control!!!

He said "potential". From what I saw in his limited time last year, I do think he has a shot at the overall sack title this year if his play time increases.

Date: April 15, 2010 04:00AM

I would be shocked if he is anywhere near the Top 5 sack leaders in the NFL this season.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: April 15, 2010 04:30AM

Oh I'm putting Wake in the top 5 sack leader category, easy. He looks incredible when he rushes the passer. He can get almost completely horizontal with such incredible burst when he's coming around the edge. He may get exposed in coverage, but this guy is going to terrorize QB's.

Date: April 15, 2010 04:49AM

we will see.

hope I'm wrong!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:23AM

When given the opportunity Wake delivered. The problem is that he couldn't get on the field unless it was 3rd and long.

He had 5.5 sacks but 2.5 of those came against a terrible Buffalo offensive line. 1 vs NE, 1 vs, TB and 1 vs Jax...not exactly going against elite competition.

He has limited pass rush moves and uses a speed/bull rush type of move where he gets very low at a point where it is hard to be blocked. He is going to need more than one move if he is going to be a full time player. OT's will figure him out after they spend more time watching him on film.

He has played at a big time university, two years in the CFL and one year in the NFL and still doesn't know how to shed blocks or understand the nuances of dropping into coverage.

For some reason Sparano wants him to play the strong side spot. I don't understand this when he is so bad against the run but I will assume he knows more than I do.

He is not terrible in pass coverage and does not rank too bad when compared to other OLB's. As a matter of fact he is ranked right around where Jason Taylor is in coverage. The skewed part of that stat is that JT played 828 snaps and Wake only played 167. It is much harder to maintain an average over a longer period of time.

If Wake only played on 3rd down and only dropped into coverage 25 times and the play was away from him then there is no real data there.

Wake really stunk against the run. He has the size and strength but is not getting off of blocks. Again the stat is a little skewed but it is no surprise that he struggles in this area when looking at the problems getting on the field. Porter also sucked against the run but Wake could not even beat him out for the job.

He won't be leading the league in sacks if he can't get on the field. He has a lot of work to do so I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet.

He is not as skilled as Dumerville as of yet but Nolan may be using him in the same capacity on a more limited basis. He may end up with 10 sacks as a situational pass rusher but sack title is a stretch at this point. Also...does Sparano still want him to play SOLB?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 15, 2010 05:27AM

eesti Wrote:
> When given the opportunity Wake delivered. The
> problem is that he couldn't get on the field
> unless it was 3rd and long.
>

He couldn't even get on the field on 3rd and long half the time with Porter. Porter took the stance..."I AIN'T LEAVIN" ha ha ha ha

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 15, 2010 05:47AM

Also doesn't Nolan blitz alot more than Pasq did? By shear playing time and putting him in more blitzes he should have an above average year.

Date: April 15, 2010 06:31AM

If he wants to blitz then they better take Earl Thomas to cover the field. Thats how they got in trouble in Denver....Hill did not play well.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:13AM

Hokie Phin Wrote:
> I honestly can't remember the last time I was this
> excited about this team. We just got one of the
> top 3, if not THE best wide receiver in the
> league.

Right On Bro, Right Onsmileys with beersmileys with beersmileys with beersmiling bouncing smileyhot smiley

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 15, 2010 07:48AM

Date: April 15, 2010 08:00AM

Date: April 15, 2010 08:03AM

If Earl Thomas is the "real deal" and even half as good as advertised then I want him at 12. I'm buying into the hype! I admit. Mayock, McShay....they have sold me on him.

I believe you can find big body NT's and pass rushers in Rounds 3,4,5. I mean Jason Taylor was a 3rd round pick, nuff said!

Date: April 15, 2010 08:10AM

Date: April 15, 2010 08:27AM

Earl Thomas offers more value in the draft and for what he would offer as a hole filler at a desperate position at 12 than any OLB at 22. We could move down and still miss on Dan Williams who will most likely be gone.

Signing JT and drafting Thomas gives us more flexibility to draft BPA for the rest of draft.

Date: April 15, 2010 03:03PM

If we re-sign JT it buys us a year at OLB. If we draft ET then we have a franchise saftey who in time will hopefully be a superstar.

Lets us focus Rd 3 on a NOSE TACKLE!!!!!! Or even a WR that might fall out of Rd 2 for whatever reason

Date: April 15, 2010 03:11PM

Date: April 15, 2010 03:13PM

If we take a saftey at 12, we ain't doubling up at saftey. Now with 2 young guys already on the roster of Culver and Clemons

Date: April 15, 2010 05:17PM

Date: April 15, 2010 05:50PM

Date: April 15, 2010 05:52PM

Date: April 15, 2010 05:54PM

MikeO Wrote:
> I may be wrong, but safe guess is you arent
> talking about $10 mill a year or even $1 mill a
> year with your job. When your in the ballpark
> salary wise as pro athletes everything changes

What exactly is the difference between $10 mill a year and $9 mill a year? What will that extra million buy that makes such a difference in their lives?

Date: April 15, 2010 05:59PM

montequi Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I may be wrong, but safe guess is you arent
> > talking about $10 mill a year or even $1 mill a
> > year with your job. When your in the ballpark
> > salary wise as pro athletes everything changes
>
> What exactly is the difference between $10 mill a
> year and $9 mill a year? What will that extra
> million buy that makes such a difference in their
> lives?

Yes!! Because you, me and the average guy will work till he is 62 or 65 or 70 years old. NFL players only plan on working till they are 34 years old or so. And they gotta have that money last the rest of their life. Some will do TV work or have other odd jobs to stay busy or so. Most superstars (like a Brandon Marshall) won't. And will live off these big paydays till the day they die if they manage their money right.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.