HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Brandon Marshall RUMOR
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brandon Marshall RUMOR
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 16, 2010 08:04AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brandon Marshall RUMOR
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 16, 2010 10:05AM

That will really piss me off. Marshall to the Jets? Dam, he can flat out burn ya.

Date: March 16, 2010 10:18AM

If they can get him and NOT give up a 1st round pick, that would upset me.

If they gotta part with their 1st round pick, then hey its fair game and every team had the same chance. Won't upset me as much

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 16, 2010 10:26AM

If the Dolphins really want him they could send our 2nd rnder this year and a conditional pick next year, based on his performance and behavour. Gaurenteed 5th but could escalate to a 2nd or something like that.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:44AM

ArmandoSalguero

#Jets have announced they signed former Dolphins DE Rodrique Wright, who was a free agent.

The Jets are limited in the types of free agents they can sign because of the rules governing the uncapped year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 11:46AM by eesti.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 16, 2010 11:57AM

I haven't kept track of where everyone stands on Marshall joining the Phins, but there's a pretty large contingency of folks who seem to outright despise him...folks who wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole no matter what. If that's the case, then we should hope that the Jets get him and he blows up on them.

I personally hate the things I have read about him personally, but I see tremendous value in what he brings to the field. If it's between us and them, I would HATE to see them get him. Moss is a thug too, and he burns us almost every time we play him. At least Edwards drops a ton of passes, so he's survivable.

I would do a 2nd and 5th to escalate in a second. I know I'm not the Trifecta, but I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Date: March 16, 2010 12:37PM

I'm not real sure what I want with him Tstamp. I go back and forth on this in my head daily, he's extremely talented......but the baggage. I was just saying he could be had if we really wanted him

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 12:53PM

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 01:26PM

I'd like to know why they'd do that? I suppose a WR tandem of Marshall and Edwards might seem like a good idea, but you're talking about two guys with issues that could blow up on you at any time, and both drop a LOT of passes. This sounds like another of those trial balloons everybody floats before the draft.

Rick

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 02:26PM

how come any time a player is available the jets can make a play for them? but we never do? Marshall seems risky but I'd happily give up a 2d and Ginn for him.

Date: March 16, 2010 02:35PM

1) The Jets are trying to sell PSL's and want big name guys (hence LT over Thomas Jones)

2) The Jets are one of the teams that feel you won't see a salary cap in the NFL ever again or at least for a long long time (there are a few teams with that thought). Miami (as well as the majority of teams) believes a cap will be back within the next 3 years.

3) The Jets are taking the "win at all costs" approach because they feel they are "close to a championship". Which in some aspects they are because they already have a championship defense. Miami is still a little bit aways from a championship team, but not that far behind the Jets. But behind nontheless. So Miami isn't "GOING FOR IT ALL" just yet.

4) The Jets are in a super comeptitve market where you got the Giants they compete with football wise for football dollars from consumers. And in a wider range your competiting with the Yankees for sports dollars of consumers which is a no-win situation for any team in any sport...ever! Being on the back-page year round, being relevant in the sports scene year round, being SEXY AND the "IT" team in NY is important. It means BIG BIG $$$ for the organization.

That is why they are linked and interested with every big name out there. They FINALLY understand that not only are they in the football business but they are in the entertainment business. Because of their market its a different model they run their business by. Miami doesn't have that model and never will really.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 02:52PM

you know what? we've been slow and steady for 20+ years, always looking 2-3 years ahead. That hasn't worked out for us. I'm thinking maybe we should try something new.

Date: March 16, 2010 02:52PM

Date: March 16, 2010 03:45PM

In the first round the Jets will take a NT or a WR. When Jenkins went down they were screwed in many ways. There defense was so good they made up for it but they had to adjust some. With a solid backup NT they won't need to adjust next time. And they need another playmaking WR (like a Golden Tate) to open up there offense and the passing game.

Date: March 16, 2010 04:45PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you know what? we've been slow and steady for 20+
> years, always looking 2-3 years ahead. That hasn't
> worked out for us. I'm thinking maybe we should
> try something new.

I seem to remember one of Shulas last years we had a ton of former 1st rnd. picks (Ettman was one) and it imploded. I think we discuss the Jets way to much on this site, it used to be Patriots paranoia and now its Jets paranoia, I dont see Marshall and Edwards co-existing to well but if the Jets wanna go for it, who cares? We have other worries, I for one am happy with the tri-fecta going slow and easy. Lets build this thing for the long haul

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 16, 2010 05:03PM

Jimmy Johnson was a commentator at the time, and he was the guy who really kept playing up that the Fins had 19 1st rd draft picks on the roster. He was busy lobbying for Shula's job at the time. But, it was pretty misleading. 3 of those 19 guys played QB with Marino, Kosar, and Dan McGwire. And a number of them were guys who were trying to salvage their careers, like Steve Emtman, Chris Singleton, Randal Hill, Terrell Buckley, Trace Armstrong, and Eric Moore. JJ used to make it sound like we were loaded with talent, but only about half those guys started for us. And of those starters, guys like Marino, McDuffie, Webb, Vincent, Coleman, Bowens, and Oliver were our own picks. I realize this has nothing to do with the overall thread, but this is one of those things about JJ that really irked me.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 16, 2010 05:32PM

lets get PLEXICO on a work ferlow

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 16, 2010 09:38PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> I realize this has nothing to do with the
> overall thread, but this is one of those things
> about JJ that really irked me.

Many things about JJ irked me:

1. Changing a successful offensive system
2. Karim Abdul Jabbar run every other down just to reach 1000 yards. Yippee! Such a waste to reach mediocrity.
3. Wasted 1st-round picks (John Avery/Yatil Green/...)
4. Embarrassing Marino (playing him against Dallas when he obviously couldn't throw 5 yards)
5. Leaving us with Wanny

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 17, 2010 03:00AM

Yeah....and you can add drafting Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison to that list too!!!!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 17, 2010 06:34AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Yeah....and you can add drafting Jason Taylor,
> Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison to
> that list too!!!!

Sure, but having a hand in sinking the team into a LONG stretch of mediocrity outweighs that.

Date: March 17, 2010 07:51AM

I diasgree. I think Wanny is at fault for our mediocrity. His "keeping it close and winning it in the 4th quarter" attitude is what hurt us. Our D was awesome.

---------------------

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 17, 2010 07:55AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Yeah....and you can add drafting Jason Taylor,
> Zach Thomas, Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison to
> that list too!!!!

And Yatil Green, and John Avery, and JJ Johnson, and Dorian Brew, and Kirk Pointer, and Lacurtis Jones, and Ronnie Ward, and Larry Shannon.

Date: March 17, 2010 07:59AM

And Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain.

---------------------

Date: March 17, 2010 08:08AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I diasgree. I think Wanny is at fault for our
> mediocrity. His "keeping it close and winning it
> in the 4th quarter" attitude is what hurt us. Our
> D was awesome.

And you deny that if JJ didn't hire Wanny as his assistant-HC then cut-and-run we wouldn't have had him? I argue there was no chance in hell we ever would have hired Wanny if JJ didn't, essentially, appoint him the HC.

Wanny was terrible, but having him here falls on JJ.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:17AM

Wannstedt won 40 games in 4 years in Miami. There aren't a lot of coaches in the NFL currently who have done that. Let alone in the past 20 or so years. That's a good 4 year stretch

Now he choked in the playoffs and would never lead a team to the promise land, had to be removed, but he won a lot of games and was always in the playoffs or playoff hunt.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:23AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Wannstedt won 40 games in 4 years in Miami. There
> aren't a lot of coaches in the NFL currently who
> have done that. Let alone in the past 20 or so
> years. That's a good 4 year stretch
>
> Now he choked in the playoffs and would never lead
> a team to the promise land, had to be removed, but
> he won a lot of games and was always in the
> playoffs or playoff hunt.

I'm not saying Wanny was worse than, say, Cam Cameron, but his personnel decisions during his tenure were what sunk us into the depths of the NFL standings. As A&O pointed out, indirectly, Wanny DID have Zach, JT, Surtain, and Madison to work with.

Date: March 17, 2010 08:57AM

Date: March 17, 2010 09:56AM

And he also won thsoe 40 games with scrub QB's who really were all career back-up's for the most part.

Date: March 17, 2010 10:20AM

ANy great coach would have taken us very far with those teams Wanny had. He won 40 games as the second worse coach in team history behind Cameron.

---------------------

Date: March 17, 2010 10:38AM

MikeO Wrote:
> And he also won thsoe 40 games with scrub QB's who
> really were all career back-up's for the most
> part.

And it was HIS fault that the QB position was never addressed correctly. He passed on Drew Brees in the draft. He chose Fiedler over Huard. He brought in backups (as you noted) like Ray Lucas and Jay Feely.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.