HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mason staying in Baltimore
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mason staying in Baltimore
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 10, 2010 09:40AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mason staying in Baltimore
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: March 10, 2010 09:51AM

Miami doesn't have the money left to make a big free agent signing. They had the second highest payroll in the NFL last season. With Marshall or Austin, not only do you have to cough up picks, you have to pay them about $8M per year. It's not going to happen. If Antonio Bryant will sign for about $3M per year, that's about all we can take on. And even signing one WR doesn't fill the hole at WR. We need at least 2 new guys. So, with needs at NT, FS, OLB, WR, RG, and TE, how are we going to give up picks to sign a guy with a track record of one season (Austin) or a total diva and dirtbag (Marshall)?

Date: March 10, 2010 09:54AM

considering how we wasted a 2nd round pick on Pat White. And a 3rd round pick on Patrick Turner. What good is holding onto these picks when you get nothing out of them.

Might as well trade them and get a PRO BOWL stud who will help you win games week in and week out.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: dolphinman 2010 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 10:33AM

Antonio Bryant reportedly inked with the Bengals 5yrs 20 plus mil not sure of the gaurenteed money

Excuses are tools of the incompetent...those who specialize in them rarely specialize in anythine else

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 11:34AM

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: March 10, 2010 01:57PM

We need to get off the pot and sign a WR soon. Like, now. I'm starting to worry that they think that the development of our current roster of WR's will be enough for next season. God I hope not.

Date: March 10, 2010 02:04PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 10, 2010 03:53PM

Well, we know we are not getting an impact player thru FA unless there is a late or draft day trade.

If we don't address it high in the draft then I would have to agree Mike, that I would lose faith in the FO. They can be a little too stubborn for my taste.

I probably wouldn't have paid A Bryant 7 mil a year either but we have to come away with a lower priced option in the draft like Thomas, Benn or Tate.

Crabtree signed a deal just a little over 5 mil a year. 17 gtd and was drafted 10th o/a I believe.

The 12th pick, Knowshon got 5 yr/16.7 mil.

Maclin drafted 19th got 6 yr/23 mil

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 10, 2010 04:27PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, we know we are not getting an impact player
> thru FA unless there is a late or draft day
> trade.
>
> If we don't address it high in the draft then I
> would have to agree Mike, that I would lose faith
> in the FO. They can be a little too stubborn for
> my taste.
>

It's almost laughable at this point. The biggest need on this team is WR. Don't be fooled and think its another position, its not. It'w WR! Every team that went far in the playoffs last year (minus the Jets) had big-time passing games. I mean HUGE passing games. With big time play making WR's. And its been that way for a while now in this league. Teams that can pass, win. Teams that can't, don't! EVERY RULE is set up for the passing game. The days of run the ball, stop the run are over.

I think we are done in the FA market at WR unless we do somethnig crazy like give up a 1st and 3rd for Miles Austin. Or a 1st for Marshall. I actually think there is a better chance of us landing Miles than Marshall but both are serious long shots.

Next we turn our attention to TRADES. Not sure what teams have what players on the block, but hopefully we are exploring all options there.

And if the front office is banking on Hartline turning into a star and Ginn turning it around....they are rolling the dice big-time and they will lose!!!

Date: March 10, 2010 04:41PM

Mason signed for 2 years with Baltimore. It's official

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 10, 2010 04:42PM

MikeO Wrote:
> It's almost laughable at this point. The biggest
> need on this team is WR.

This is scary MikeO. Since signing Dansby, I think I actually agree with you. I've been saying ILB was our biggest need. Now that we addressed that, as well as signing a D.C. who appeared to work miracles in Denver, I think our defense will see a huge improvement next year even if we don't address the FS or NT situation. On the other hand, if our WRs continue to not get open or drop balls, we're not going to score points. Teams will get more coverage sacks and Henne will have more incompletions and/or interceptions.

Yes, I actually agree. WR is, now, our biggest need.

Date: March 10, 2010 06:06PM

You agree with me cause I'm right ... smileys with beer When you have a young promising QB....you build around him. They are doing it in Detroit by bringing in Burelson to play side by side with Calvin. And by drafting a good TE last year in Pettigew. That is how you build a winner around a young QB.

In Baltimore they have Flacco, a young stud QB. They go get Boldin, make sure they keep Mason. Bring in Stallworth. They are building around him.

In NY with Sanchez they traded for Braylon last year. They are bringing back Coles probably, to put with Cotchery. They are at least TRYING to give Sanchez help. Maybe no superstars but they are bringing in quality guys

What do we do in Miami......NOTHING!!! Absolutly nothing. And seem to be in no rush to want to do anything

And NFL Free Agency isn't like MLB. In MLB free agency starts in November and guys like Johnny Damon and others can wait till mid February to get a deal. Oh no, in the NFL free agency starts on a March 1st and by March 3rd all the top guys are off the board, and by about March 10th its pretty much over except for the scrubs or old guys. The window has pretty much closed on Miami adding a Free Agent WR of any value or worth. Now we look at the trade market. If nothing there we draft a guy and we have a crap offense in 2010 and continue to have the WORST WR CORP in the NFL!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 10, 2010 06:39PM

You guys are completely wrong. Our biggest need is not WR, but NT. Second, there weren't ANY decent WR's in free agency this year, a fact that most you agreed with a couple of weeks ago. Mason? Most agreed that he was too old, he retired before the beginning of last season, we don't want him- but that was a couple of weeks ago. Marshall? Too much baggage, and the stats and production aren't there, we don't want him- but that was a couple of weeks ago. Bryant? Not much left, but acceptable as a last-ditch option, we don't want him-but that was a couple of weeks ago. Trade for a proven talent? Who? Boldin? Too old, too many injuries, too slow, not a No.1- but that was a couple of weeks ago. Now, I smell panic from you guys-you would sign almost anybody for any amount of money if there is the slightest possibility he MIGHT help us, even guys that were dismissed out of hand on this board- a couple of weeks ago. Good thing the F.O. isn't panicking. Do what they're doing- Relax and consider the reasonable options.

Rick

Date: March 10, 2010 07:28PM

I don't think the biggest need is NT either. It's not like we don't have one and besides Fergy only played on running downs. WR and OLB's play FULL TIME.

Our biggest need is a tie IMO for OLB and WR....with OLB getting the slight edge b/c we need 2.

We don't even have a starting caliber OLB on either end. A lot of people on here are banking on the fact that Wake is the next star but he has A LOT to prove before he plays full time.

Henne needs some weapons and currently has NONE. Hartline is talented but one above average WR is not enough.

The problem is that the chances of finding a starting WR after the 1st round is very slim.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 10, 2010 07:28PM

standing pat and doing nothing is NOT an option. Let alone a reasonable one.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:22AM

It is AT THIS TIME.

Rick

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:55AM

MikeO Wrote:
> You agree with me cause I'm right ... smileys with beer

dude, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 11, 2010 05:31AM

I agree with Rick, the options weren't that good or cost too much. I also think i'm in the minority that thinks our group isn't as bad as everyone else thinks, and someone like Turner, Ginn, Hartline or White can step up and develope. Don't get me wrong I would love to add a Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin but not at the cost of multiple picks. I'm sure we'll grab someone in the 2nd or 3rd and add them to a young developing group.

Date: March 11, 2010 10:23PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I agree with Rick, the options weren't that good
> or cost too much. I also think i'm in the minority
> that thinks our group isn't as bad as everyone
> else thinks, and someone like Turner, Ginn,
> Hartline or White can step up and develope. Don't
> get me wrong I would love to add a Vincent Jackson
> or Miles Austin but not at the cost of multiple
> picks. I'm sure we'll grab someone in the 2nd or
> 3rd and add them to a young developing group.

When EVERY WR is developing at the same time, with nobody there but a 50 or 60 year old coach to talk to them......does anyone really develop??? Seriously, time to bring in a vet. Enough "YOUNG WRs"

Date: March 11, 2010 11:47PM

Our veteran FA list is down to...

T.O. 36
Isaac Bruce 37
Torry Holt 34
Ronald Curry 31
Josh Reed 30
Muhsin Muhammad 37
Bobby Wade 29
Kelley Washington 31

I'll take Torry Holt or maybe go after TE Ben Watson (30 yrs)...4.40 speed at 6'3 255 and show the Pats how to utilize him and make him a 1000 yard TE.

Date: March 12, 2010 05:25AM

Holt was awful last year in Jax. Plus I think he is going to Chicago to team up with Mike Martz from reports.

Only guy on that list that I would take is Mushin Muhammad under a 1 year deal. He still looked well playing last year the few times I saw carolina

Date: March 12, 2010 09:08AM

Muhsin Muhammad: 53/581/1 11.0 ypc avg. 3 time pro bowler, 37 years old. 2nd year in system, 11th year at Carolina.

Torry Holt: 51/722/0 14.2 ypc avg, 7 time Pro Bowler, 34 yrs old. 1st year in system.

We already have a bunch of guys that average 11 yards a catch.

Date: March 12, 2010 09:31AM

Browns signed Ben Watson.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:33PM

Never been a huge Ben Watson fan. He did score a 48 on the Wonderlic test though in 2004. Smart guy

Date: March 12, 2010 03:42PM

I like what the Browns have been doing as well as the Lions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.