HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gabril Wilson Update
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Gabril Wilson Update
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 25, 2010 11:52AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gabril Wilson Update
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 25, 2010 11:59AM

I said the other day I had a feeling he would be back starting.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 12:00PM

Hey i dont mind, because it is a new position he had to play in, which is differant than the SS he was used to being. He had HORRRIBLE Lb'r coverage to help out, and again played with rookies, and i didnt agree with the defensive philosophy's that Paul as the DC called and played with. Mike Nolan is a much more aggressive DC, and will use Wilson more twards his strengths.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 12:03PM

He had HORRRIBLE Lb'r coverage to help out---- you can say that again!

He had HORRRIBLE Lb'r coverage to help out

Date: February 25, 2010 12:09PM

But his strengths are run support...I believe he can improve. He couldn't do much worse. I just hope Clemons can step up and take his spot.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 25, 2010 12:12PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I said the other day I had a feeling he would be
> back starting.

I said it weeks ago and everyone told me I was wrong. You don't pay a guy that much money up front then cut him after 1 year.

That is the easiest way to piss off your owner and lose your job (ie Ireland, Parcells, Sparano)

Date: February 25, 2010 01:03PM

Date: February 25, 2010 02:20PM

eesti Wrote:
> I said it weeks ago and everyone told me I was
> wrong
>
> that's b/c it's such a common occurrence. winking smiley

sure. whatever. At least I know Mike Holmgren isn't in Detroit!

Seriously, big credibility buster there

Date: February 25, 2010 02:21PM

yeah...i'm sure. At least I don't sit and argue for two days to convince people he is really there.

Date: February 25, 2010 02:29PM

eesti Wrote:
> yeah...i'm sure. At least I don't sit and argue
> for two days to convince people he is really
> there.

why would you....he isn't there! duh!! eye rolling smiley

Date: February 25, 2010 03:59PM

you're coming around... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:23PM

I have been watching pro football since as an elementary school kid when Jim Brown was in his heyday.

But as a serious fan, I have been watching since the fall of 1967 when Bob Griese moved from Purdue to the Miami Dolphins.

This is no exaggeration. Gabril Wilson IS THE WORST PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYER I HAVE EVER SEEN AT ANY POSITION.

Read the comments following the story on the first post.

Date: February 25, 2010 04:45PM

I guess you never saw John Beck then.

Date: February 25, 2010 06:04PM

Really? Do you really believe that?

Date: February 25, 2010 06:50PM

Wilson isn't the worst ever. Go back to the 2007 season and he is a HUGE reason why the Giants beat New England that year in the Super Bowl. And a huge reason why NY got to the Super Bowl.

He was outstanding that year

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 25, 2010 09:37PM

John Beck was impressively bad. I was literally impressed with the level in which he sucked. He looked more scared behind center than Pat White does and at least half of his balls were batted down at the line. Remember when he left and joined Cam Cameron after we cut him and reports came out out of Baltimore that they were very concerned about the junk they filled his head with in Miami and were arrogantly emphasizing that they were going to have him forget everything he learned in Miami about the position so that they could develop him the "proper" way with the proper QB skills, techniques, and fundamentals, as if what we did with him here was incorrect and corrosive to his success.

How's that working out for you Cam? John Beck forget all that terrible stuff he learned here and learn a bunch of brilliant new super secret magic QB skills? The nerve of Cameron to make a statement like that especially when our coaches weren't even the one's who meddled with this kid's development to begin with. We inherited him from the Cam regime. Cam drafted him, Cam and his staff coached him, Cam tweaked his game and worked with him on fundamentals, etc.

We never touched that kid. Anything outside of making him throw a lot of balls in the offseason we had no part of. We obviously had a new offense for him to learn when we got here, but that's hardly something to use a 'Men in Black' memory eraser on. Cameron was just trying to cover his own @ss in regards to bringing a guy in who sucked, so he made sure he laid the seeds standing by ready with an excuse on hand.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 26, 2010 07:37AM

Thing to remember is that if Ireland was to say, want to trade Wilson, why would he bad mouth him before hand? Hell, I'd be lamenting about how he's the most underrated safety in the world. Worth a 1st!

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: February 26, 2010 09:50AM

Hopefully, next year he won't let Moss burn his ass by 10 yards on a bomb

Date: February 26, 2010 12:21PM

Odenn Wrote:
> Thing to remember is that if Ireland was to say,
> want to trade Wilson, why would he bad mouth him
> before hand? Hell, I'd be lamenting about how he's
> the most underrated safety in the world. Worth a
> 1st!

RESPONSE: At last another poster who thinks with his head.

Date: February 26, 2010 12:26PM

Date: February 26, 2010 12:28PM

Panteraize, Beck is not a regular starter in the NFL. Gabril is. So maybe I should have said that Gabril is the worst player I have ever seen hold down a starting position.

Date: February 27, 2010 05:28AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wilson isn't the worst ever. Go back to the
> 2007
> > season and he is a HUGE reason why the Giants
> beat
> > New England that year in the Super Bowl. And a
> > huge reason why NY got to the Super Bowl.
> >
> > He was outstanding that year
>
>
> RESPONSE: Specifics please. What were the key
> plays he made in the season and in the Super Bowl?
> I know he had no part in that final bobbling
> catch from Eli Manning. .
>
> I just keep seeing that IDIOT running up on a
> receivers when the damn fool was responsible for
> deep coverage.
>
> I remember one game (no, I'm not a stat geek that
> can tell you) but one game in which the moron gave
> up a deep ball either for an almost touchdown or
> for a touchdown and then either on the two-point
> conversion or on the succeeding play (assuming it
> was not a touchdown) gave up an endzone play by a
> ridiculous hold.

Wilson was huge in shutting down Romo and Farve in the playoff games on the raod that year for the Giants. There is a reason he was only on the FA market for a day or two and he was scooped up. The problem is both Oakland and Miami have him playing a different position than he played in NY.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:56AM

The problem is that we are playing two SS and no FS. I think they have one of two options, move Bell to FS since he has better ball skills than wilson and Wilson to SS (unfortunately bell is a better FS and SS than wilson.

The other option I see is to play Wilson only on what we deem to be run downs and try S. Smith at FS. I would make a decision to try him at FS for a year and if that does not work I would move him permanately back to corner. I say this because there is no question that he has by far the best ball skills on the team.

Date: February 27, 2010 11:01AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Wilson was huge in shutting down Romo and Farve in
> the playoff games on the raod that year for the
> Giants. There is a reason he was only on the FA
> market for a day or two and he was scooped up. The
> problem is both Oakland and Miami have him playing
> a different position than he played in NY.

RESPONSE: Thanks for giving half the answer because I was just about to ask if he was so great then why did NYG let him go. You answered my question of why he was responsible for the Giants winning the SB, in your opinion. You also talked about how quick he was snapped up. But why didn't the Giants want him so bad that they outbid everyone for him or sign him to a new contract?

Date: February 27, 2010 11:18AM

The Giants didn't haev the salary cap room to pay him what the open market was going to pay him. It was just that simple.

I mean why does any player leave any team. You can only pay top dollar to so many guys and stay under the cap

Date: February 27, 2010 11:40AM

Wilson played SS in NY for the first 3 years and was moved to FS to fill in for an injured player.

Oakland signed him after the Giants SB season and played him at SS for one year.

He was signed in Oakland because of his tackling ability. While he made many tackles in Oakland, he also missed several as well and did not make enough big plays. He was also a liability in coverage.

He lined up in training camp (for Oakland) in the box 90% of the time according to Lane Kiffin and was going to be used as a "4th LB'er" to stop their rush defense problems.

He was terrible against the Ravens and Broncos in 08 and was responsible for giving up TD's in both games.

He was benched last year for about a game and replaced by Chris Clemons but then got his starting spot back.

Why the Dolphins concluded he was worth the money as a FS is beyond me.

I think some of you are right and that the staff may be propping him up in hopes of a trade (like that will fool any GM's).

Ireland also said in an earlier report... "All I know is we can get rid of anyone we don't think can do the job without it hurting our ability to get other players."

I doubt he is the answer for us. Maybe they are trying to sell him to Arizona with a 4th for Boldin since they could be losing Rolle???

Date: February 27, 2010 11:42AM

No team will trade for Wilson.

Wilson was bad for Oakland. Bad for Miami. And he has a big contract. A team can find a bad player anywhere, so why pay big bucks for a bad player.

And if a team likes Wilson that much and Miami is willing to move him, just wait till Miami cuts him and then sign him for .10 on the dollar

Date: February 27, 2010 12:45PM

They need to dump him and his salary now while they can with no cap ramifications.

Same goes for Torbor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.