HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marshall a possibility?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Marshall a possibility?
Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 24, 2010 08:07AM

Great assessment! personally I think Chambers failed to develop because he missed his window. For about 3 years he was getting behind the defense, beating double coverage, not complaining when he wasn't getting the ball thrown downfield, or throwing the QB under the bus when he was repeatedly overthrown after his hard work.

I think if he had played with a good QB during those important years, that he would have grown and matured and developed even more tricks and techniques. But his best work was not capitalized on and he stayed at 1 level.

I agree that he isn't the answer to #1. The Trifecta has shown that they will sign and draft multiple guys to solve a problem. But they also have shown that they would rather draft stars and sign role players.

They could very well sign a guy like Chambers at a reasonable rate and draft a guy they think can become a #1 guy.

I agree that we are not 1 WR away from where we want to get to...but...I believe that 1 WR ( Bryant, Chambers) could upgrade us enough to help Ginn have more man opportunities. Add an unpolished rookie with speed, and Hartline being more polished...and we are part of the way there.

I would love to see Chris in a Phins Uniform. I took my son to his Camp, met him, he was a class act, great with kids, genuinely interacted with them, and I thought he played well for us when he was here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doug ()
Date: February 24, 2010 08:48AM

... chambers, i believe still has some left in the tank. also, as already said, he wont break the bank. and while he may not be a #1 he's definitely in the mix among complimentary wr's... that seems to be all we have is comp. wr, that is why we should also draft Bryant in the 1st. another option would be to draft demarriyus thomas (sp) who broke his foot prior to the combine,. if we could get this guy in the 2nd would be a good move, imo. he's 6-3 230.... im not sure of his measurable but was projected as a late 1st rnd pick prior to the injury.

id love to turn our 1st into latter 1st and 2nd... that way we'd be able to land Brandon Graham @ 1, Thomas @ 2a and hopefully someone like Cody or Hernandez @ 2b

"I don't really care what happened in the past, I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them." - T. Sparano

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: February 24, 2010 09:35AM

Dez Bryant will be long gone before our pick

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 24, 2010 09:40AM

Antonio not Dez....

Some interesting points by tstamper and realist.

Doug...when did we get a 2b?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 24, 2010 09:50AM

I'm going to unite you all because I disagree with all of you. I think Ted Ginn is the most explosive receiver I have seen in years. I would at least give him one year. He can outrun ANYBODY. I know his problem is catching the ball but when you have someone that explosive, you gotta see if he can anyway possibly become the receiver his speed indicates.

As far as Brandon Marshall is concerned, if Ginn's departure is the price for him coming (most likely it is), I say no on that account.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 24, 2010 11:14AM

Chyren - I'm with you on Ginn's speed...undeniable. I am not in favor of getting rid of him because of the glimpses we saw with him and Henne connecting. One of them called back, but one of them was Darrelle Revis, whom every commentator seems to be clamoring to get their head lodged up his rear end. If Ginn goes in a trade, I sincerely hope it's part of something that brings a true, TRUE #1. Otherwise, I'm intrigued by the prospect of what he brings to the table...in spite of all his other warts.

Realist - I think we essentially see eye-to-eye on this one. I think he's actually a good person, and someone I would also love to introduce my son to. My son and I stood about 10 yards away from him during warmups in the 2007 season opener in DC...honestly, pretty cool. And he, JT and Ronnie Brown were my faves on the team at that time. If he comes back to the Phins, I won't be truly upset. If he comes back and (again, subjectively) has a good catch vs. drop rate and isn't a negative influence on the other receivers (and I don't think he would be...just don't think of him as someone who can help young guys develop), then I'm happy...not ecstatic, but happy...we will have gotten better, if only marginally. If we get the good CC and still add someone who has the potential to be a true #1, then I'm ecstatic with the effort the FO made. There is that possibility - however remote - that he comes in and develops further even at his age. Could we get that lucky? :-)

Regarding your theory about why he didn't develop, I think that's very likely. I know that he would have been even better with a different QB and offensive mentality. I do think he was a bit of a victim of circumstances, but I also think his laid-back personality didn't truly drive him to rise above his circumstances and succeed at any cost - making the most of every single opportunity.

Date: February 24, 2010 05:08PM

Yes he is explosive; but, he rarely beats double coverage. #1 WR's can do that with more frequency.

I have repeatedly said; however, that if we get a guy who demands some of that double coverage and takes some of the heat...Ginn will explode on the scoreboard.

I don't think that guy needs to an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald...a guy with sub 4.5 speed and decent size will get it done.

Date: February 24, 2010 05:20PM

Agreed. His humility is an endearing trait as a person...but it takes the fire to be the best out his belly.

And the drops were always a drag. He would make these unbelievable acrobatic catches pulling down a bad pass, and then one that hits him in the numbers hits the turfconfused smiley

But....if he were lucky enough to play with a 'great' QB....circumstance might push him up higher. There are planty of WR's who looked better than they were because they played with a great QB.

When we met him, I shook his hand and told him that I have followed his career since college and he thanked me for my support, then without me having to ask, he asked my son if he had anything that he could autograph for him. He signed my hat. My son brought his Dolphins Helmet and CC signed it, got Vernon Carey and Rex Hadnot to sign it. He asked my son what position he played...where we lived...then when they found out we came from Canada he got someone to take our picture for his Camp website. Total Class...humility...and genuine caring for the people who support him.

I'll route for him in whatever uniform he wears...but it would be nice if it was aqua and orange :-)

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 24, 2010 09:35PM

Chambers would be a good pickup for us and would be a definate upgrade for Bess, Camarillo and/or possibly Turner. But I wouldn't want to keep any of them from developing because of signing him. If he was to assist in that development and wouldn't demand more than 1.5 million a year then I'd be all for it. Ginn however should have a spot on the roster along with Hartline in any event, no matter who we sign...if we do.

If we brought in Chambers we'd have to make some other moves as others have said...that would leave us with, for instance.

#1. Dez Bryant (for the sake of argument)...He'd HAVE to play.
#2. Ginn...He'd HAVE to play.
#3. Hartline...He earned the chance to play last season.
#4. Chambers
#5. Bess/Turner/Camarillo

This leaves us with a problem...who do we cut/trade and who do we play? Since a high draft pick would be on the field from day one. Ginn has to play due to his speed and hopefully increased single coverage oppotunities. Hartline needs to play based upon his performance last season as well as to see if he will develop further. Chambers would be a #4 on this roster and would get limited playing time due to our extensive use of three WR sets because we want to use a TE in most situations.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 25, 2010 01:54AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #1. Dez Bryant (for the sake of argument)...He'd
> HAVE to play.
> #2. Ginn...He'd HAVE to play.
> #3. Hartline...He earned the chance to play last
> season.
> #4. Chambers
> #5. Bess/Turner/Camarillo
>
I, truly, don't think we'll be drafting Dez. If we get Chambers, I think you'll see something like this:

1. Chambers
2. Ginn/Hartline (depending on whether Ginn improves from last year)
3. Hartline/Ginn
4. Camarillo

Bess and Turner are on-the-bubble.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:13AM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 25, 2010 10:49AM

Sounds like Ireland is still optimistic about Turner's development and will be keeping him around...whether or not he is active among the 4 WR's remains to be seen.

If we did sign Chambers, (which would continue the trend of getting a 2nd rounder and then resigning the player) I doubt he would be counted on as a number 1 without making another move but would probably not be the 4th WR either. It is still a long shot to even sign him. I doubt it happens unless he is still around after the draft and we still have a need.

I think they still draft a WR on the first day to offer competition to Ginn who I believe will get better this year with another off season with Henne.

I think Bess and Camarillo are on the bubble. We have seen what they can do and it is limited.

This is why I think a player like Tate is a good fit b/c he can play the slot and still be a play maker as opposed to Bess who catches a 10 yard pass and falls down. And he can return punts which we desperately need.

On the other hand, a player like A. Benn or D. Thomas would push Ginn as the #1. Best case we end up with the rookie as #1, Ginn as #2 and Hartline as #3. Even if Ginn doesn't progress we can still use him as a KR and backup WR.

I think the staff would like to see this....

1 Rookie
2 Ginn
3 Hartline
4 Turner

or

1 Ginn
2 Hartline or rookie
3 rookie/slot/PR
4 Turner

Bess or Cam would fit in at 4 if Turner does not progress but I think one of the two is history. They don't offer any trade value.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 25, 2010 11:06AM

eesti Wrote:
> as opposed to Bess who catches a 10 yard
> pass and falls down.

LOL! Hate to say it, but you're right on the money.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 26, 2010 03:56PM

Back to Marshall. Reading a lot of what he is saying this last week with the shooting that happened a few years back and how it effects him everyday. This guy needs some help (not a knock, just needs to talk this problem out) and the red flags might be more serious than we all think or know.

In this one aspect of his life, I do feel for this guy. I can't imagine what he has been through but he hasn't got past it yet and until he does he seems like a risk to pay big money too and to count on as a player.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 26, 2010 03:58PM

Off thread, but I heard Dez Bryant won't be participating in the combine. I'll post more info if I see it.

Date: February 26, 2010 04:00PM

Most agents who have a Top 5 or 10 player they know is a lock to go high won't let their guys work out. I disagree with way they approach it. Especially a guy like Tebow who has a lot to prove and who has a lot to prove in making an NFL transition. But not surprised if Dez didn't work out.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 04:10PM

Date: February 26, 2010 04:12PM

I wonder if he's going to do Pro Day. I agree with phinsfan2 if he doesn't do either, seems like he's hiding something.

Date: February 26, 2010 04:14PM

Date: February 26, 2010 04:14PM

Dez is Top 10 I think now. Some have him now going #3 to Tampa.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 26, 2010 04:17PM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 26, 2010 08:46PM

montequi Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > #1. Dez Bryant (for the sake of
> argument)...He'd
> > HAVE to play.
> > #2. Ginn...He'd HAVE to play.
> > #3. Hartline...He earned the chance to play
> last
> > season.
> > #4. Chambers
> > #5. Bess/Turner/Camarillo
> >
> I, truly, don't think we'll be drafting Dez. If
> we get Chambers, I think you'll see something like
> this:
>
> 1. Chambers
> 2. Ginn/Hartline (depending on whether Ginn
> improves from last year)
> 3. Hartline/Ginn
> 4. Camarillo
>
> Bess and Turner are on-the-bubble.

RE: I didn't say we'd draft Bryant but instead used his name for the sake of argument. IMHO opinion though we need to take a WR with one of our top two picks...the guy must be sub 4.45 however to have enough speed stretch the field on his own and thereby maximize Ginn's speed advantage over most corners.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.