HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Donte Stallworth??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Donte Stallworth??
Posted by: realist ()
Date: February 09, 2010 07:02AM

he was re-instated for 2010. The Browns released him yesterday. he was on a long term high priced contract.

With the CBA in doubt....no one knowing for sure who will be a FA or RFA and how this plays out.....

no draft picks are needed to bring him in and give him a shot?

IMO, while he isn't a marquee guy...he is a low investment shot at someone who can improve our WR corps.

thouhgts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Donte Stallworth??
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 09, 2010 07:08AM

Waaay too much baggage.

Rick

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 09, 2010 07:46AM

I thought about posting this possibility but I thought I would get blasted...

Date: February 09, 2010 10:13AM

Yeah, people will blast at times.

The reality is that every NFL roster has someone on it with baggage. And every NFL roster has a kid who grew up. And every NFL roster has an adult who never did.

As far as I can see...he was in the substance abuse program in 2007, and had his DUI manslaughter incident.

In that incident he had been drinking the night before and was driving in the morning. There has been a lot of recent media attention about the fact that many people are still over the limit in the morning. While he was still morally and legally responsible...this is hardly 'baggage' that would affect his on the field play.

Lamar Smith was convicted of DUI which paralyzed a teammate...and he played very well for the Dolphins...without incident.

A LOT of young men ( professional athletes to regular Joes) are foolish enough to drink & drive. It seems like Stallworth at least tried to sleep it off before getting in the car. I'm thinking he has learned a thing or two.

The one major hitch with signing him? He has a life-time suspension of his Florida Driver's license. So unless he pleads for a re-intatement...he would not be able to drive a car....I can't see the man signing with us unless that got resolved.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: February 09, 2010 10:46AM

Sign him. Everyone gets a second or third chance. He lives in Miami and he is fast and can catch.
This keeps our draft picks and who knows about FA

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:47AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The one major hitch with signing him? He has a
> life-time suspension of his Florida Driver's
> license. So unless he pleads for a
> re-intatement...he would not be able to drive a
> car....I can't see the man signing with us unless
> that got resolved.

You kidding? For what these guys make he can afford to get a chauffeur to schlep him around whereever he wants.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 09, 2010 11:56AM

I am less concerned about the 2nd/3rd chance part, as that will drive the price down.

When I look at him, I wonder how and how much he'd improve our WR corps. We're lacking a true #1, and I don't think he is that. I think he's had chances to be that but always ended up being a great 2nd/3rd option. In his last couple of years w/the Saints, Joe Horn outplayed him like crazy in 04 and in 05, Donte had his best year ever with just under 1000 yards. In 06 in Philly he had the chance to be a #1, but his stats were fairly similar to Reggie Brown (both had great YPC and TD/rec ratios) but the primary targets were really Westbrook and the TEs. In 07 in NE, the most pass-happy offense ever perhaps, he was 4th/5th option...sort of similar to Jabar Gaffney. I have no idea why CLE paid what they did for him in 08.

We have guys a lot like him (Hartline with good size, speed and separation enough to get open downfield for good YPC) but lack a true #1.

I guess I wouldn't have a problem with the signing, but I don't think it would have more than a marginal impact on our WR corps. Who knows, maybe he's the best option we'll see...but I sure hope not.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 09, 2010 12:00PM

i don't think he's that good. if he was I'd say take a chance. what he did was tragic but actually I think could have happened to anyone. he apparently drove home many hours after drinking (I have done that) and hit a person who walked across the street but not in the cross walk (OK I never came close to doing that). he also seemed truly bothered/repentant by what happened. I'd rather have him than the sociopath vick (how many serial killers got their start intentionally torturing animals--not saying he's a serial killer, just saying he's a sociopath).

and no I am not saying animal life is more valuable than human life (ok maybe it depends on the human)--but I am saying the intent to cause harm is what really matters re whether a person is redeemable or not.

bottom line---he's just not that good of a player to sign after a year off, when you take into account his off the field issues

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 09, 2010 01:13PM

Stallworth will be 30 years old this season. He has never started more than 13 games in a season, and has always been known for having recurring hamstring issues. Has averaged just over 40 catches per season. In his 1 year in New England, he lost the #3 WR job to Jabar Gaffney as the season wore on.

Even without the DUI Manslaughter, he's not the answer to our WR woes.

Posted by: opus ()
Date: February 09, 2010 02:10PM

Why waste our time? I doubt he is an improvement over Hartline, Bess, or Camarillo. Ginn on the other hand?

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: February 09, 2010 02:14PM

he is working out for the Lions this week

Date: February 09, 2010 05:49PM

yep.

he may never be a true #1 WR. But we don't have one...and we don't have a 'sure thing' lined either.

No picks needed, huge signing bonus, just a shot at a guy who is fast and can catch and might have grown up a whole lot.

I still maintain that with our running game...all we need is another deep threat. Bess Hartline, camarillo are not deep threats. Only Ginn is. Put another fast guy on the field, who can catch...and things may open up.

Even if we draft a WR in the 1st round he won't be ready to seriously produce in 2010. And this CBa is making Free Agency very murky.

Like I said before...signing him is a low risk venture.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 10, 2010 06:08AM

He is just not a good WR. NEVER had a 1000 yard season. I would rather have Chris Chambers back. Even at 32 he averaged 16.9 yards per catch last year with 608 yards on a crap offense.

A few other players I would rather have...

Antonio Bryant....more upside.
Domenik Hixon...kick returner

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:21AM

good call on chambers. stalworth isn't even as good as him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:21AM

eesti Wrote:
> He is just not a good WR. NEVER had a 1000 yard
> season. I would rather have Chris Chambers back.
> Even at 32 he averaged 16.9 yards per catch last
> year with 608 yards on a crap offense.

Is KC letting Chambers go?

> A few other players I would rather have...
>
> Antonio Bryant....more upside.
> Domenik Hixon...kick returner

Not sure we need a kick returner, unless he can return punts too. I think if we give Ginn a chance to be our kick returner from day 1 he'll be top-5 in the league.

Date: February 10, 2010 01:35PM

CC is a free agent.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: ifShulaWasPrez ()
Date: February 10, 2010 09:27PM

dolfanmark Wrote:
> Stallworth will be 30 years old this season. He
> has never started more than 13 games in a season,
> and has always been known for having recurring
> hamstring issues. Has averaged just over 40
> catches per season. In his 1 year in New England,
> he lost the #3 WR job to Jabar Gaffney as the
> season wore on.
>
> Even without the DUI Manslaughter, he's not the
> answer to our WR woes.

Date: February 17, 2010 08:40AM

Signed with Baltimore Ravens

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.