HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          White and Thigpen
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
White and Thigpen
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: January 04, 2010 05:45AM

I know this has been brought up before but I really don't have time to look for the other thread.

It concerns me that the trifecta did not have Thigpen as the #2. Clearly he is the guy that should have stepped in for Henne. Proven expenience and good game management.

What's up with this? White is not an NFL QB at least at this stage of the game.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White and Thigpen
Posted by: trafield ()
Date: January 04, 2010 05:56AM

I've thought about that too. Assuming the coaches knew Thigpen was the better QB, the only thing I figure was that Pat White was listed at #2 because of his mobility in the wildcat. If that is true, then Sparano definately should have made a quick decision to replace White instead of trying to see how many different ways he could run the ball with him.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2010 05:58AM

It's all due to the WildPat thing. They wanted White available to sub in for Henne at any moment. The #3 QB would only be available if the #1 came out and, I think, didn't return until the 4th quarter.

Anyway, the experiment is a total bust. I still think White should be listed (and tried out) as a WR. Can't hurt to see what he could do, and then you could have Thigpen as your #2 without any issues. Regardless, White needs to bulk up in the offseason or he won't have a future in the NFL.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: January 04, 2010 06:07AM

Good game management does not involve throwing a wild ass pick when you're in field goal range to tie the game up

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 04, 2010 09:12AM

They hamstrung White by not letting him throw all season long. Teams were having a hard time with Ronnie Brown running the Wildcat because he did throw at times.

Pat was supposed to be this great weapon because he could throw too. The plays called did not appear to have a throw in mind at all. Until yesterday every play was a hand-off, run, or option play. The very first play back in Sept. looked great, he overthrew Ginn, but showed us what we thought we were getting. BUt that was it.

If they wanted Pat to be a real weapon they needed to give him a passing play; with protection, and establish that he indeed was a passing threat...and THEN...go back to Ricky sweeping across to force them to follow Ricky and keep the Safety back against the pass...AND THEN!!! have White run.

Henning had all season to come up with a couple high percentage passing plays to balance out the WildPat.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: January 04, 2010 04:58PM

Pat was supposed to be this great weapon because he could throw too.

He can throw???? The stupida$$ didnt complete one pass all season. He is worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 04, 2010 05:28PM

I saw 1 passing play in Sept.

Then yesterday they called 2....on one...the Left Guard let a blitzer right up the middle; on the other he pulled it down and ran.

I forgot...there was the hitch pass that Pittsburgh read and blitzed too.

The guy needed to be set up in shotgun with some protection to establish his passing ability.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 04, 2010 05:55PM

I think Pat's main problem is that he is far too small. Someone pointed out something about Doug Flutie. Doug Flutie looked like a short NFL quarterback who could stand being hit and could, even given the right angle, shake off a tackler.

When I see Pat White, I see a small, skinny guy who could be knocked down by a good gust of wind. Why we thought he could run the Wildcat IN THE NFL is an amazement to me.

I'm not sure he is even big enough to be a wide receiver in this league. Just bump him at the line.

I know the coaching staff and management protectors on this board will savage me for this post but his drafting is just another example to me of their incompetence.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 04, 2010 07:07PM

coaches have no clue how to use Pat White yet. Lets see what they do next year. If they still don't figure it out then that's on the coaches and not really Pat White

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 05, 2010 03:02AM

The Eagles had wildpat in mind when they hired Vick and he was quite effective in that role in the few games that I watched him play. Hopefully the coaches NOW realize that White should not be used in many running plays.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 05, 2010 07:36AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Eagles had wildpat in mind when they hired
> Vick and he was quite effective in that role in
> the few games that I watched him play. Hopefully
> the coaches NOW realize that White should not be
> used in many running plays.

Yes, but Michael Vick is 100x better than Pat White. The Eagles knew that.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: January 05, 2010 07:58AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 05, 2010 10:22AM

Put a fork in it.

White doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL at the QB position.

I don't buy he dodn't have a chance, when in there I saw little trace of true talent / potential.

I trhink the trifecta needs to eat some crow on this poick and move on. Thigpen was much better for a backup.

Date: January 05, 2010 10:39AM

Victor wrote
Yes, but Michael Vick is 100x better than Pat White. The Eagles knew that.

That falls under the heading of 20-20 hindsight.
Was Vick 100X better coming out of college?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2010 11:31AM

Probably he was the #1 overall pick.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 05, 2010 01:30PM

So was Jamarcus Russel

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 05, 2010 02:59PM

Thats not what you asked though. Mike Vick coming out of college was thought of just along the same lines as Reggie Bush, sure-fire Hall of Famers.

Jamarcus Russell was called out before, during & after the draft as having bust all over him.

You asked specifically about Vick, not Russell. And even then, those are two *TOTALLY* different scenarios.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: January 06, 2010 04:56AM

In college Vick had one spectacular season, his freshman year when his team went undefeated. His sophmore and juniors years were not as notable and of course he skipped his senior year to enter the draft. He's fun to watch but since other college teams could figure out how to neutralize him in year two and three it should have been evident that that NFL teams would be able to also. I agree that he had more promise coming out of college but not 100X.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.