HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          DRaft order vs winning
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
DRaft order vs winning
Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 02, 2010 04:58PM

This was included at the end of a post about trading...but it piqued my interest enough that I decided to create a separate thread.

Interestingly we are currently in the 15th spot in the draft order. BUT....

...if we lose to Pittsburgh, Carolina beats the Saints (who are resting their starters),the Titans beat Seatle, Jax beats Cleveland, and Chicago beats Detroit....

we would be tied with Chicago for the 10th spot. Not sure what the tie breaker is for NFC vs AFC in the draft?

All of those are likely.

So....is a win over Pittsburgh worth 4/5 draft spots? ...hate to say it...but I would not cry if we lost and moved 4 spots up the draft order.

The difference from 10th spot to 15th spot is essentially a high 3rd round pick. It might also be the difference between drafting Rolando Mclain or settling for someone else.

If it is legitimate for INdy to sit their starters to give them a better shot at winning FUTURE games...???? And the Saints will be resting players this week to improve their chances in FUTURE games???

How long until a team rests its veterans to secure a better draft position and increase their competitiveness in FUTURE games? It is different only in that the Colts and Saints are using this ploy within 1 season...but the principle is the same. Not putting out your most competitive team because their is an advantage to doing so.

In addition, there has been speculation that some teams will "lay down" to keep the Steelers out of the play-offs should they win? So...who says a team can't "lay down" to increase the competition for draft order?

I say, rest Ricky he doesn't need to see a single snap. PLay Turner because you want to see what you have. Let Clemons have the lion's share of time at FS. Let Henne air it out, but maybe let Pat White have a series as a regular QB running regular plays..you ...know evaluate our roster. Give Kory Sheets some playing time. heck maybe even take a 4th quarter look at Thigpen? Get the young guys in....you know ...for the sake of improving our team's competitiveness...AND...if in the process...we lose the game...it was in team's best interest for FUTURE games...AND we get a better draft spot...

If I can get McLain by evaluating my roster in the last game of a dead end season? DONE!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DRaft order vs winning
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 02, 2010 05:19PM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I can get McLain by evaluating my roster in the
> last game of a dead end season? DONE!!!

Yep! smileys with beer

Posted by: angryseas ()
Date: January 02, 2010 05:27PM

usually like your posts more than any here but,(and i know this is a huge stretch) just suupose cle,oak,ne and cincy all win

if you rest ricky and throw in pat white etc and you are t sparano...you have soem pretty tough press conferneces coming

as ive said on here before i am personally not a big fan of even going down this road...my feeling is not only are you trading agame for soemthing very hard to quatify(the value of moving up in the draft)...but you are also crapping on everyone that bought a ticket to that game jmho

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 02, 2010 05:30PM

Who is the guy on our board who talks about his ticket price and demands to see his team go all out?

I'm kind of close to him on this one.

Tomorrow, my team is playing and has a CHANCE (perhaps a million to one) to go to the playoffs and take it all.

I cannot see myself rooting for a loss.

Moreover, although slim chances at the playoffs can cost you a better draft choice as we Dolphin fans know all too well, draft choices can THEMSELVES BE screwed up by the coaching and management staff.

Date: January 02, 2010 05:37PM

The press conference would be difficult even if the scenario played out well.

Tony would say that "Ricky was limited in practice and we were confident in Lex..needed to monitor his snap count so we put Sheets in the mix"....Turner really showed them what they'ld been waiting for all season and he wanted to reward his hard work because he felt he would be a great possessionasset for our QB's, Pat has always received playing time...we had planned on getting him more in the mix when Penny went down and felt that he really did well when he was in there...on and on.."

There are lots of ways of spinning it.

There are 5 teams at 7-8 and we are slotted below all of them in the draft...lose this game and 2-3 of them will easily pass us. With some luck we move up 5 spots.

Date: January 02, 2010 05:49PM

yeah but 5 spots is really worth that?
now if it was awinnner makes it scenario noone woudl suggest the things you are mentioning not to mention i think as a coachyou are always preaching play hard 100% all that so i think you soemwhat mess with the team moral you are trying to build going forward

dont get me wrong if a player liek ricky is banged up but you would be pushing him if was a winner is in scenario and you resting him because you are legitemately concerned he may aggravate soemthing that is one thing(i woudl be pissed if i paid for a ticket for me and my son wearing his ricky shirt but i woudl somewhat get it) but given there is still the very slimmest of hope there is no decision to make

Date: January 02, 2010 07:08PM

I agree with the play hard. I would NEVER coach my players to lose.

But in the situation we are in? I could ask Hilliard and Sheets to go play hard.

And say to Patrick Turner " Ok show us what you've got"

And same with Clemons

And maybe give Pat White a real series

And tell Henning to keep the tricks for another year, let's see if these kids can play football.

Maybe even play with some defensive adjustments on the blitz packages?

The guys on the field go give 100%....but ...as a coach I can rationalize putting the kids out to play in the last game of a season in which I am 7-8...with the possible consolation of better draft position should we lose.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 03, 2010 07:05AM

I bet you that TEDD GINN has a big day and causes us to win. confused smiley

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 03, 2010 07:07AM

I agree. Im not asking our players to lose or slack play. I jsut tell my backups to play as hard as they can.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 03, 2010 07:08AM

Just because they game means nothing to Miami doesn't make it a preseason game. I don't expect us to "play the kids" just for the sake of playing the kids. These coaches JOBS depend on wins and losses and unless you have everything clinched and are resting guys for the playoffs (which we obviously aren't)....Miami will play their starters, play the better players and play to win.

This isn't a throw away game here or a preseason game.

Date: January 03, 2010 07:26AM

but by playing backups you arent"coaching hard" you are packing it in early...how do you then ask players to always put in thier all...if you are tony sparano and are seen as resting players when you are still technically in the playoff race you under fire for your job...and as i said before you are doing a severe disservice to your fan base...now if we were playing at 4 and you already know you are out that is a different story

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 03, 2010 08:15AM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 03, 2010 08:26AM

well we still have a chance to make the playoffs so Im guessing the coaches go all out and hope for the best.

This isn't a preseason game. Lots on the line

Date: January 03, 2010 08:59AM

well the "d" is eveidently of the higher draft choice mindset

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: January 03, 2010 09:09AM

Date: January 03, 2010 09:16AM

ok maybe the "o"too

Date: January 03, 2010 01:40PM

I couldn't believe it when I saw White starting the 2nd half...and then I felt guilty like I cursed Pat White when they needed to go to Thigpen.

There was an erie similarity to my scenario.

All 3 QB's played, Hilliard and Sheets played, Hartline got more play...not Turner...but oh well.

At least we've moved up 2 draft spots with Carolina and San Fran Winning.

Go Titans!!!

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: January 03, 2010 02:21PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is the guy on our board who talks about his
> ticket price and demands to see his team go all
> out?
>
> I'm kind of close to him on this one.
>
> Tomorrow, my team is playing and has a CHANCE
> (perhaps a million to one) to go to the playoffs
> and take it all.
>
> I cannot see myself rooting for a loss.
>
> Moreover, although slim chances at the playoffs
> can cost you a better draft choice as we Dolphin
> fans know all too well, draft choices can
> THEMSELVES BE screwed up by the coaching and
> management staff.

That would be me about paying all the money I do to support the team, and expect them to try to win every game... Forget the Draft, with the first pick we could get a Ginn again so what good is that??? Play to win no matter what, thats what I shell out my hard earned cash for...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.