HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          A wins a win
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
A wins a win
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:19AM

but this one doesn't feel so good. nice job pulling it out but we don't win at home against a crappy team without that phantom INT that gave us a TD.

all of our bad habits came out this game--TE running wild, defense blowing it in crunch time, bad turnovers, shutting down QB till the time it matters.

anyway we won but I am not ecstatic. if we are a good team this should have been a blowout, playing a bad team at home with a rookie QB.

oh an ginn sucks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A wins a win
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:20AM

Miami seems to always have problems with Tampa in the regular season, I believe this win breaks something like a 3 game win streak against us.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:30AM

But a win is almost a loss with Ted Ginn.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: joenhre ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:35AM

A win is a win. Right now Carolina is looking at the scoreboard and laughing at us though. If the Dolphins can barely beat the Buccaneers, how will they fare against the Panthers with such a short rest between games. If Ronnie doesn't play I could see the Panthers winning by double digits easily.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:41AM

....especially if Ted Ginn plays.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: November 15, 2009 12:09PM

Ronnie HAS to play, because he's our QB and RB. Oh and he catches passes, too. So he'll play with a sore ankle.

This is one of the problems with making your running back work so hard and being 1/2 of the offense. With Ronnie playing so much, there's more chance he can get hurt. And if he's out, then you throw out the whole wildcat. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Next year we need a revamped offense. First, Dan Henning has to go. Then we have to pick up some wide receivers. Then we have to create a new offensive scheme. THIS year we play everybody, and see what we got. Henne, Turner, Hartline, Fasano, haynos, everyone. We cut/trade whoever doesn't step up or doesn't fit. It's not easy putting together a powerful offense, but somebody has to be hired to do it.

Or, we can sit on our hands for the next 5 years and pretend we have a real offense and then die in the playoffs each year or not make it at all.

We need work on D also.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 15, 2009 12:56PM

This game reminded me of our games last year with Oakland and Seattle. Two teams that were god awful at the time and we almost let beat us. But Miami came through late.

The Henne INT late was bad beyond belief.......but the fact he bounced back so quick in a "clutch" moment is so good that the GOOD outweighs the bad of that INT.

This kid is gonna be a SUPERSTAR QB in a year. Once he gets some weapons

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 15, 2009 02:06PM

Dan Henning has to go? Why?

Do you realize he is the only reason we won the division last year and are being competitive this year?

We lack WR's. Teams play 8 & 9 in the box. The Wildcat and the non-traditional formations are the balance that we are NOT getting from the passing game.

Today Henne took a step forward. Once we get a true #1 and Henne is more experienced...I would think Henning would have more to work with and would be less inclined to 'trick' or 'confuse' the other team and more inclined to let the players play.

Date: November 15, 2009 02:16PM

I think Dan Henning will be retiring soon anyway. I have no problem with him, but he is an old man and he wanted to leave after last offseason but Parcells (his best friend) talked him into staying.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 15, 2009 02:19PM

I agree with Realist. Henning is a guy not afraid to be bold. He was our offensive coordinator back in 1980. Griese and Strock both got hurt, and we were left with rookie QB David Woodley, who had run the option in college. So, what did Jenning do? We ran the option with Woodley, usually pitching to Tony Nathan. And it worked. Now, you see what he's doing with the Wildcat. He's not limited to one particular system. And what he's doing for us now is trying to make up for the fact that our receivers don't scare anyone.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: November 15, 2009 02:31PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....especially if Ted Ginn plays.

Hey A&O what are you on my last weeks rampage??? LOL

Date: November 15, 2009 03:05PM

realist Wrote:
> Dan Henning has to go? Why?
>
> Do you realize he is the only reason we won the
> division last year and are being competitive this
> year?

I do realize he was solid last year. I would say the same thing about Penny. Penny held that offense together with spit. But we moved on. And we have to move on with a more modern and dynamic coordinator as well.

I would disagree that we are being competititve this year because of Henning. I don't see it. The offense is too conservative and too predictable. Teams figure us out at halftime, make adjustments and kill us. I realize we don't have much to work with, but strangly enough, although we're conservative, there's also a lot of trick plays. Instead of that, we need to focus on improving the bread and butter plays that other teams run like they're automatic - stuff like screen plays, quick outs to your receiver on the sideline, etc. And I think it's also better to focus on a couple of go-to guys and practice with them, instead of this bad news bears assortment of receivers and tight ends we have.

I honestly think offensively we're a little lost. And I think that starts from the top down. Now that we've changed QB's and added new receivers I see it a little more. It's the system we've put in place. It's not really working.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 15, 2009 03:09PM

I can't see how you can say henning is not dynamic. he's running the wildcat, option, "wild pay," crazy formations and trick plays. almost too much in my opinion. whether you like the plays or not, he's certainly not convention and definitely "dynamic"

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 15, 2009 03:23PM

The way Henning calls a game, it almost makes the offense seem like its waffling from one scheme to another. I think ultimately, it tends to throw the rhythm of the team off a little. I'm very surprised Henne does as well as he does, having to come off the field so much. But this has been said, I don't see them changing the way they do things, at least not until the season is over or something dramatic happens.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 15, 2009 03:33PM

With better skill position players on offense we get a lot more conventional more of the time IMHO, even though the wildcat will also become more effective with better players....I don't think we should throw out anything we are doing.

We just need more speed, quickness and elusive players.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 15, 2009 03:44PM

Date: November 15, 2009 04:45PM

Date: November 15, 2009 07:13PM

Date: November 16, 2009 01:43AM

It was smoke and mirrors last year. This is year two. Year three are you still gonna expect smoke and mirrors?

This is not 100 percent rebuilding, this is a combo of rebuilding and a win-now disease that is hampering the development of our team. We had a three year plan, take your lumps and losses and draft/sign the right personel for the future. Have a strong, young QB develop right along young, talented WR's. Have the O line develop together. Build a defense from the ground up.

On the defensive side of the ball, JT and Porter not withstanding, we have succeeded, with young linemen coming into their own and promising to be productive well into the future. We just drafted 2 young CB's to add to that.

On the offensive side of the ball, that's not happening. Smiley is one of the critical pieces to the line and he's hurt, with a history of being hurt. Our center is another cross-you-fingers pickup. Our QB and receivers are producting average play, or in the case of some receivers, well below acceptable. And that, btw, is by design by the FO, it didn't just happen.

Year 3 should be the take a risk year. We "should" be already be solid by then, and be able to trade picks to get a star player on the team. But instead, it looks like we'll be looking to fill holes in year 3. Fergie is retiring, and we need safety help. We have Zero WR's and Zero TE's. The O line is suspect. Good decisions next year will be critical. We'll either pull ourselves back up from this decline, or not.

We can do it, with the right aquisitions, cuts and trades. We need to pull back from this Pat White direction, this faith in Ginn, this propensity to spend a lot of money for guys from other teams who have injury histories or suspect production.

Other than that, I'm not worried....lol.

smileys with beer

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 16, 2009 07:21AM

A win IS a win, but the NFL exists for only one reason - entertainment. This had to be one of the most boring football games I've watched in the past 50 years.

Rick

Date: November 16, 2009 07:40AM

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: November 16, 2009 09:08AM

"Those rushing yards are mostly due to the wildcat. We're weak in our base offense. We don't have a passing game. We tend to settle for FG's too much. Nothing looks efficient about our offense, it's as you said, sqeezing out yardage. At halftime our opponants adjust, and that's why we lose. The defense, as imperfect as they are, often make great plays and hand the ball back to our offense, helping as much as they can. The offense has the ball a lot. They have a lot of opportunities, and they're not capable of making good use of them. "

Ricky ripped off a big 37 yarder from the base yesterday. If Ronnie can't go, Ricky will rip up the Panther's 'D' THurs nite. He'll be fresh and has averaged over 1.1 ypc more than Ronnie this year. Plus, Henne will be able to get into a rhythm because of the lack of the wildcat. Panthers are 25th in run 'D' this year. We have got to stop the run though (we're 5th)

Date: November 16, 2009 03:03PM

Ugly wins count just the same......I will take it

Date: November 21, 2009 08:14AM

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 09:17AM

Hey Phinsfan2 you should know as well as anybody that a lot of people like to fire everyone after a loss. One good game and they are HOF bound one loss and they need to be fired

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.