HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Henne
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Henne
Date: November 08, 2009 06:00PM

I thought he played pretty well, I liked what i saw, Numerous times we had 2 backs in the back feild blocking cuz the line sucked and only sent out 3 wrs running, he had wr's dropped balls left and right...when he did get a chance to throw i was impressed, made a couple of mistakes such as thinkin we had a time out left when we didnt and several times lettin the play clock almost go to delay of game but he played well, impressed by his arm strength and his poise, accuracy needs just a lil work i beleive but for those whos gonna bash him, watch tape! i beleive he's our future

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henne
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:12PM

He's not the future. He's the present, this kid is good enough to WIN NOW!!! He has little to no talent around him which is holding him back.....but his arm, decesion making and poise is as good as any vet in this league. Now he isn't on the level of Brady, Manning, Brees...etc. But he plays like a vet out there. He's no worse than Carson Palmer, Eli Maning, or Tony Romo. Just that those guys have talent around them (especially at WR)

This notion that it takes YEARS to build and groom a QB is outdated. Guys have it or they don't these days. Colleges run pro offenses unlike in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. These kids come in the league so well prepared its scary.

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:13PM

I'll give Henne this

1. Poise. He seems to be pretty cool under pressure.

2. He appears to be durable....he can take a hit. When he got nailed on that drive I thought the kid would crumble but he got back up and kepted pluggin. I think Penny would of taken that hit and we would of lost him for the season.

3. Smart. He really does not make that many mistakes.

4. Arm Strengh.

Weakness

1. The touch pass. He really needs to work on that but that will come with time.

2. He might be holding the ball too long which is why he is taking so many sacks.

3. Experience which is the obvious.

Overall I think he should be ok. I am not one to sing praises to rookies regardless of how they perform but I do believe so far he is the best person we have had under center (except Penny) in yrs

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:13PM

Not knowing how many timeouts you've used is inexcusable for a QB...especially when you have a coaching talking in your headset.

Henne still has not established good timing with his receivers. Obviously, the ball gets to the receiver alot quicker than w/ Pennington. And Henne has released the ball a bit early because of the rush...which does effect accuracy.

I was dissapointed that we didn't take any shots down the field.

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:15PM

Think Henne will be just fine after some more experience... The Weekness you list will come in time in my opinion...

Date: November 08, 2009 06:17PM

no touch passes??? How soon you forget the first Jets game on Monday Night. That final drive he hit touch pass after touch pass to Camarillo!!!

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:24PM

Who said no touch passes??? Think he said needs to work on it, same game you mention he was off on a few touch passes... and made some great ones...

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:24PM

I think Henne will be great with some WRs around him and some experience. I have been a big believer in him and I think he will pay off big time for us.

Date: November 08, 2009 06:27PM

Dude one pass does not mean the guy has the ability to deliver a touch pass. A soft pass or touch pass is one of the hardest things to deliver and because he did it against the Jets on one play does not mean he is capable of doing it time and time again. It will come with time.

Are you completely absent of common sense?

Date: November 08, 2009 06:36PM

more than one play vs the JETS but why let facts get in the way now

Date: November 08, 2009 06:48PM

Oh yeah you have the facts lol. Don't you have a plane to catch with the dolphins. Oh wait you turned the job down. Thats right......

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: November 09, 2009 04:29AM

I think that Henne is very limited right now. He does not read defenses well and he is not helped by the fact that his receiving corps do not seem all that keen on helping him out. The number of dropped passes combined with the limited routes these guys can run is really tough on an essentially rookie QB. Part of that may be Henne, who is not great with the touch pass right now no matter what MikeO wants to say about an isolated play here or there. He does not lead his receivers properly. They are dropping catchable balls but they are not perfectly delivered by a long shot. He also gets into a habit of dancing in the pocket. He relies on his arm strength to deliver the ball and any QB will tell you that that will only take you so far.

It seems that the only plays Henne and his receivers can make consistently are plays where the receiver is coming back to the ball. It is hard to get open with these plays and it is really hard to pick up any yards after the catch. They also seem to like wide receiver screens but the blocking has not been there.

Some things I would like to see added to the offense would be more passes to Ricky and Ronnie, but number one would be the play action, which I thought Henne did well with and which they now seem to have dropped almost completely.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 09, 2009 04:29AM

Henne is the future. It will take another year and a few good receivers and he will be a very durable and accurate QB that can take us to the Superbowl. You dont need a stats guy like Marino to take you to the ball just a smart qb that gets it done

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 09, 2009 05:00AM

I think Henne has the tools to be our starter for a long time. I also think he's capable of getting us to, and winning, a Superbowl. We need to improve our consistency on the O-Line, but #1 we NEED RECEIVERS!!

Our main issue isn't with the offense anyway, it's with the defense. Right now we have a solid D-Line and solid corners. Not sure about our FS, and our LBs are some of the worst in the league.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 09, 2009 05:32AM

We will get our receiver(s)...just not this year.

I truly believe that this team is being built the right way, and that WR was not a priority but will be this offseason.

Our DL and OL are strong. Sure, I wish they never had any area for improvement, but they are built the right way and their performance is very good, though sometimes inconsistent. I believe that they will continue to develop with so many young, talented players.

Our CBs are quickly becoming a strength. A good number of mistakes? You bet. But, Vontae and Sean are both players. I wish (God forgive me) that Moss had gotten his finger stuck in Vontae's facemask and broken it when he gave the stiff-arm, given the push-off he had earlier on his long reception that set up Maroney's TD. It's been a long time since I've sunk that low, but the Moss &(#!! needs to stop. However, that doesn't change the fact that our two rookie CBs are developing and are already playing pretty well. PS - I love how hard Vontae hits.

Henne has 'it'. This is great experience for him this year, and the game will slow down for him. He'll develop greater pocket awareness and the sacks will decrease. This is lame, but I'll throw it out there...I believe that a number of the drops are the result of how different a ball Henne throws vs. Penny. My barometer for this is actually Bess. He just seems to have a bit more difficulty catching Henne's passes. I believe our receiving unit in general will adjust.

Bottom line - I think the organization has shown its plan, and I believe that the plan has developed to the point that the next immediate step is to give Henne the weapons he needs. WR and LB will be the focus for personnel improvement next offseason.

Date: November 09, 2009 06:08AM

I agree with both of u. We are a better team this yr than last despite the record. We are building through the draft and we are doing it right. The move I am most excited about is our corners those kids can play and let's not forget the quality of wr they have faced all season. WR, FS, and LB will be addressed in this draft I believe the trifecta has the right formula. It takes years to rebuild after soo many horrible moves by our beloved organization. I am excited for the future!

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: November 09, 2009 10:04AM

Henne is the man. Lets get him some help!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 09, 2009 09:28PM

Jim B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not knowing how many timeouts you've used is
> inexcusable for a QB...especially when you have a
> coaching talking in your headset.

RESPONSE: If you really think for a minute that Henne did not KNOW he had no timeouts left, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you for a real cheap price.

It was perhaps our last shot at it. Collecting ourselves was worth the penalty.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 10, 2009 04:50PM

what's the benefit of pretending there's a timeout when you know there's not? it's the same delay of game penalty and "opportunity to collect ourselves" regardless. was the goal to trick the refs and the rest of the world into giving us an extra TO? don't understand the comment....

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 10, 2009 05:23PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> what's the benefit of pretending there's a timeout
> when you know there's not? it's the same delay of
> game penalty and "opportunity to collect
> ourselves" regardless. was the goal to trick the
> refs and the rest of the world into giving us an
> extra TO? don't understand the comment....

It's really just a matter of a guy being caught up in the moment and doing the instinctual thing. He's got a million things running through his brain trying to make pre-snap reads. Henne said they had a miscommuniation on the silent snap, and that the ball didn't get snapped in time. He has all this stuff going on in his head, and the ball is not getting snapped, and the play clock is running out. So, he tried to call a timeout. It was unfortunate, and it was a lack of execution by our offense. But, it's hardly a case of Henne not having his head in the game.

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: November 11, 2009 04:16AM

He did play at Michigan. Maybe he's just a big fan of Chris Webber.

Date: November 11, 2009 10:01AM

Posted by: Venom65437 ()
Date: November 11, 2009 12:01PM

joemama Wrote:
> He did play at Michigan. Maybe he's just a big
> fan of Chris Webber.

I thought of Webber when he did that, lol.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 11, 2009 03:08PM

MikeO Wrote:
>
> This notion that it takes YEARS to build and groom
> a QB is outdated. Guys have it or they don't these
> days. Colleges run pro offenses unlike in the
> 70's, 80's, and 90's. These kids come in the
> league so well prepared its scary.

There's nothing in college football that can prepare these QB's for the speed at this level. That takes YEARS.

Date: November 11, 2009 04:16PM

Joe Flacco had his team in the AFC Championship game last year.

Doesn't take years anymore. The NFL landscape has changed so much

Date: November 12, 2009 04:07AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Joe Flacco had his team in the AFC Championship
> game last year.

Not to say Joe Flacco isn't going to be a really good qb b/c he will be when he catches up to the speed, but he was 20th in passing yards with 2,971 and 22nd in qb rating at 80.3. Hardly a stellar year. That team made it to the AFC Championship by defense alone which was second in the league only to the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 12, 2009 06:02AM

It takes the right QB in the right situation...with the right coaches, right supporting cast, some lucky breaks...that is when we see these young QBs succeed.

You think Flacco would have done as well last year had he played for the Browns? What happens if he goes to the Pats? Or the Raiders?

Big Ben came out his rookie year and went to the SB because his surrounding cast was unreal.

Matt Ryan comes out and his oline is gellin, Turner is a beast, has playmakers at WR, and a solid D to back him up.

Matt Stafford comes out on a piss-poor Lions team with very little going on for it, and look where he is now.

The landscape hasn't changed as much as you think...some of these teams scout well and bring in a rookie QB who is just good enough not to F things up.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 12, 2009 06:52AM

TheFutt Wrote:
> Big Ben came out his rookie year and went to the
> SB because his surrounding cast was unreal.
>
People usually get that wrong. He didn't go to the SB as a rookie. It was his 2nd year.

I agree with your assessment. Just look a Daunte Culpepper's career.

Date: November 12, 2009 09:06AM

GBOFinFan Wrote:
> MikeO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Joe Flacco had his team in the AFC Championship
> > game last year.
>
> Not to say Joe Flacco isn't going to be a really
> good qb b/c he will be when he catches up to the
> speed, but he was 20th in passing yards with 2,971
> and 22nd in qb rating at 80.3. Hardly a stellar
> year. That team made it to the AFC Championship by
> defense alone which was second in the league only
> to the Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Don't confuse MikeO with the facts his mind is already made up

Date: November 12, 2009 10:08AM

ranger1 Wrote:

> Don't confuse MikeO with the facts his mind is
> already made up

Thanks ranger1. I'm picking up on that.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.