HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          For all of you lamenting Ginn over Quinn choice
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
For all of you lamenting Ginn over Quinn choice
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: October 16, 2009 11:22AM

1. Intersting how the trade value has changed:

a quote from NFL.com on Quinn's likely trade value

"If someone threw the right deal in front of the Browns, Quinn is certainly not untouchable, though getting much above a fifth-round pick for the former first-rounder would be a stretch."

2. Not suggesting it but - Wonder what Ginn would bring on the market if tendered?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For all of you lamenting Ginn over Quinn choice
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 16, 2009 12:02PM

The issue that will never go away.

Because Quinn sucks doesn't mean Ginn was a good pick. There were more than 2 players available at the #9 position of that years draft

Date: October 16, 2009 12:22PM

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 12:23PM

I would venture Ginn's value would be about the same, if not lower. Teams are always willing to take a risk on a QB, especially if that person was in a broken organization like Quinn was.

But, like others have said... the pick was still a poor one. Many people, myself included, thought (and still think) the pick should have been Okoye.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:18PM

or Pat Willis

I haven't seen anyone on here lamenting we didn't get Brady Quinn since a few days after that draft. Quinn does look like a big time bust, but that doesn't mean Ginn was the right pick at #9.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:36PM

Unless your the Indianapolis Colts who picked Peyton Manning #1, then every other team in every other draft could have picked better players than they actually did.

We should feel lucky we got Ginn.

These guys were actually drafted before Ginn:

1. Jamarcus Russell
4. Gaines Adams
5. Levi Brown (who most people on this board wanted us to draft)
8. Jamaal Anderson

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:00PM

The worst part of any player aquisition in which you invest a lot and get little in return, is that it can hold you back from making other, more positive personel moves. We waited for Ginn and in the back of everyone's mind, he was our #1. If we didn't have him, or if we moved him out, we would find ourselves free to deal and shop for someone else, and who knows, maybe that "someone else" would be better.

It's like the old investment trap. People hold onto stocks too long because they feel they've invested too much, or that soon it may reap benefits. In reality, the best policy is to not make a decision to hold or sell based on the past, but instead based on TODAY.

What if we didn't move Beck? What if we were still waiting for him to develop? What if we were still waiting for Wilford? What players would we NOT have right now?

So the point is not just, who else would we have drafted at that spot, but how did it effect the next draft, and the next draft after that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2009 04:03PM by DolphinSam.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:06PM

Gaines Adams just got traded to Chicago for a second round pick.

Personally, I'm really tired of all the Ginn bashing. But, I'll way in my complete thoughts at the end of the season.

For the most part...Dolphins fans were collectively ticked that we didn't select Brady Quinn. That is a fact. Now, Quinn has his house up for sale. He may become a good QB. The verdict is not complete.

Ginn will be judged on how he performs within the constraints of his oportunity. Obviously, he would have thrived a little more in a Cam Cameron / Rand Mueller type of offense. The Cam/Mueller offense needed speed. We have now changed to a power offense.

But, as well demonstrated...speed is a good completement to power when you need to score points fast. The other good skill player in that draft was Revis. And Ginn toasted him pretty good.

This could well be a breakout year for Ted Ginn jr. He seldom gets a pass in stride. I have a good feeling that Mr Henne will help change that in the near future. We will see.

The Ginn VS Quinn argument is pretty much settled in my view. Cam / Mueller selected the better player for their offense.

Date: October 16, 2009 05:23PM

OF course the better player was selected...but that doesnt mean we couldnt have picked a better player than Ginn.

Amobe Okoye-No. Dwayne Bowe-yes.

But most of all....

Patrick Willis would have been an amazing pick. I still feel with the right QB Ted Ginn could be the best vertical deep threat in the NFL because of his speed...and now I think we have the right QB.

---------------------

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 05:39PM

I have to admit that i wanted for quinn to be the pick. But right now im happy we picked ginn.

To me ginn has more trade value than quinn does. Much more.

Can you imagine ginn numbers in a team like new england?

Posted by: KrK ()
Date: October 16, 2009 06:33PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can you imagine ginn numbers in a team like new
> england?

Um.... No. That is something I wouldn't like to imagine at all.

grinning smiley

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 17, 2009 01:50AM

Ted Ginn has not reached #1 WR status IMHO; he would not be a #1 on any team in the league. From what I have seen of Brady Quinn's play, he hasn't been able to do much because of the horrid Brown's front line and receiver corp. A Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would be totally frustrated if they had a "team" like the Browns that they were trying to pilot. We've seen the same thing happen to other QBs on 4-10 type teams.

Could Ted Ginn rise to the level of #1 WR? Maybe, but he'd have to become better at reaching out for the ball to make the spectacular catch. He hasn't shown that inclination (yet). I don't believe he has reached his projected talent level. However, each ball game gives him more opportunites to excel. We shall see and hope for the very best. We would all be happy if he did, that's for sure. grinning smiley

Posted by: ranger1 ()
Date: October 17, 2009 04:30AM

I was as happy as the next guy about that pass he caught but when you go into your third year as a player and we as fans are still making excuses for him then he is not our number 1. We could of selected a lot of people in the draft but that is a mute point cause every single draft we will miss someone nature of the beast

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 18, 2009 08:14AM

I don't think Ginn is a bust...yet. He has to become more consistent and catch more balls more often, that much is a given. But, there are reasons why he hasen't done that so far. The rest of the offense has limited his production, Pennington also limited his production, the other receivers have as well, and then there is the fact that he had to endure coaching and phlosophical changes while he learned how to play and run routes in the NFL and you have a recipe for struggles.

Ginn never has to become a dominant #1 IMHO. He simply has to average 70 catches, 10 TD's and 800+ yards a season to be well worth the #9 pick.

If Ginn can't exceed that and be our #1, some other player will...the coaches simply can't rest on their laurels. They need to always keep looking.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 18, 2009 09:11AM

I don't think Ginn will ever be a #1 WR, at least not in the sense of guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, TO in his prime, etc. He's just not big and physical enough. He's never going to be a guy that you can throw to regardless of coverage and hope he makes the play. Those other guys can do that. They can outmuscle defenders for the ball. Ginn is too small (180 lbs), and he's never shown the inclination to want to do this. But, I do think Ginn can be an elite big play WR, because he has rare speed. I'd be perfectly happy if Ginn only caught 50-60 balls a year, as long as he averages 15+ yards per catch and contributes 8+ TD each year. And with Henne at QB, I think Ginn has a much better chance of becoming that kind of player. This offseason, Pennington admitted that Ginn can easily outrun his arm. Pennington said they were working on Ginn's ability to get open in the first 10-15 yards, because if it takes longer than that, he doesn't have the arm to throw it far enough downfield for him. This is not an issue for Henne. I think Ginn has a decent chance to really shine with Henne at the helm.

Date: October 18, 2009 12:58PM

I dont necessarily think he has to average a certain amount of catches or yards to solidify his draft status or his value to our offense. I think the only real black and white stat that matters (besides TD's of course) is actually the YPC. If he can get his average catch anywhere from 18-20 yards that would mean he is a ligitimate deep threat that defensive have to double cover and scheme against. And the simple fact the we already have the #1 rushing offense in the league, now thats when D-coordinators will really start getting headaches.

---------------------

Date: October 21, 2009 06:00AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 25, 2009 06:42AM

actually remember when cam-moron drafted him he said it was for special teams. he said he hoped he'd have the same kind of career desmond howard had (who never did much at all as a WR and is considered a bust given his draft status). cam-moron is an idiot!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.