HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Defense Sucks
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Defense Sucks
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 21, 2009 06:32PM

Fire Pasqualoni ASAP. Hire Romeo Crenell.I think Romeo is recovered from his hip surgery. He is another buddy of Parcells and would be a HUGE UPGRADE!!

Miami's defense was on the sideline all night. Hardly got their uniforms dirty, had pleanty of time to gameplan and prepare for Manning and nothing. They did less than nothing.

Jason Taylor has nothing left and let me be the first to say is WASHED UP! Channing played like garbage, Rex Ryan is getting the last laugh on them. At least UF beat Tenn right Channing. Joey Porter was Ok at best, not worth his contract. Gabril Wilson is beyond bad. His dropped INT before halftime gave Indy 3 pts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Defense Sucks
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 21, 2009 06:40PM

Our defense made me puke. Never even put up a fight. Our offense showed such great heart and our punk ass defense completely let them down. We should have put our offense on the field on the last Colts drive. They would have played better defense.

My apologies go out to Jake Long. He played fantastic tonight as did the rest of the offensive line. I am just so heartbroken right now.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:07AM

Stop ragging on the defense.

You expect to totally stop Payton Manning? They didn't put up 30 or 40 points on us, they scored as much as we scored, except we couldn't score last.

We held them to something like 60 yards rushing. In the first half, the only TD Manning got was that fluke at the beginning of the game, and you can't blame the front 7 on that. If you take out that initial TD, in three quarters, out of 6 possessions, we made them punt 3 times and held them to 2 field goals, even when they started with excellent field position. That's pretty good in my book.

We got killed on the no-huddle, and that's just the way it goes with Manning. You have to put some responsibility on the coaches and clock management/game decisions for putting the D in a tough spot. Colts got that late field goal right before the half because the offense left too much time on the clock and gave Manning the ball. We had to spread out and deal with the no huddle. That's when G. Wilson had that near interception.

In the second half, same thing happened. Instead of going for it on 4th and short, deep in Colt's territory, we settled for a field goal and gave the ball back to Manning to yep - run the no huddle.

Look, our D is the strongest part of our team, obviously. But we knew going in that our safeties were average at best. Wilson and Bell played bad. But our front 7 brought pressure, and our corners played well. Yes, I was disappointed JT didn't bring a big play. It would have made a difference. But it didn't happen.

I was totally frustrated with the clock management at the end of the half, and at the end of the game. In my opinion, we lost an opportunity to win this game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 02:09AM by DolphinSam.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 22, 2009 02:09AM

Manning beat us. The Defense played fine. Our 2-minute-drill was horrible. Ginn choked. Our play calling in the 4th quarter was suspect. The Pat White experiment is failing miserably!

Date: September 22, 2009 04:10AM

The defense played fine???? lol.......what game did you watch?

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 04:17AM

Jake looked fantastic last night

Date: September 22, 2009 04:39AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The defense played fine???? lol.......what game
> did you watch?

We shut down their running game and put pressure on Manning. Our CBs played very well. The problem was in the middle of our D. Crowder and Wilson had trouble in coverage. Regadless, we played well enough to win. Our offense just can't score points!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 04:39AM by montequi.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: September 22, 2009 05:42AM

Hey Monte,

Take off the A&O glasses.
The D played like $#!t. 61 yds on 11 carries is not shutting down the run.
There was very little pressure put on Manning, the pass rush was a joke!
CBs and safties who can't tackle an undersized TE are useless.
The ILBs and OLBs were always slow and out of position.
The colts had the ball for 15 mins the whole game, the equivelent to 1 qtr., and still hung 27 on us.
What DEFENSE??!!

Date: September 22, 2009 05:55AM

socalphin Wrote:
> Hey Monte,
>
> Take off the A&O glasses.
> The D played like $#!t. 61 yds on 11 carries is
> not shutting down the run.
Most of those yards were on ONE play.

> There was very little pressure put on Manning, the
> pass rush was a joke!
Not true, but Manning may be the best QB in the league so he handled the pressure well.

> CBs and safties who can't tackle an undersized TE
> are useless.
Indy had very good downfield blocking. Crowder and Wilson had problems tackling. You can't pin that on the CBs.

> The ILBs and OLBs were always slow and out of
> position.
Crowder played bad. He was the main problem.

> The colts had the ball for 15 mins the whole game,
> the equivelent to 1 qtr., and still hung 27 on us.
>
> What DEFENSE??!!
A few big plays can't be pinned completely on the defense. Manning played a great game. If we actually scored some points we would have won.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: September 22, 2009 06:19AM

Date: September 22, 2009 06:20AM

Date: September 22, 2009 06:40AM

The defense was beyond bad. No excuses.

Date: September 23, 2009 01:02AM

Well, I write a post the morning after the game, and all the newspaper articles and additional posts on our blog seem to be pointing to the same thing: Time management and play calling. Meanwhile, all you people can do is blame the defense.

Some of you live in a Alice in Wonderland world where you expect our defense to destroy Payton Manning.

How did we make them punt on their second posession of the game? Why did Peyton hurry the ball and throw an incompletion? Because we brought absolutely no pressure? Why did they punt, because they like punting? Third possession Colts started on their 27, good field position. JT stopped a 3rd and 8 for negative yardage. There was a penalty on Langford but otherwise we stop them right there. A few plays later, Colts run into a wall again and have to kick a FG on our 30. Fourth possession Peyton scrambles, and they end up punting. WHAT GAME DID YOU WATCH???

Date: September 23, 2009 02:20AM

Thanks DolphinSam. This is what I've been saying, and everyone's been saying I'm crazy.

Date: September 23, 2009 07:11AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 23, 2009 08:57AM

Phinfans 2, I taped the game because I had to go to a funeral. I came back and stopped the tape and watched the last five minutes.

I reviewed the tape. ONe of my buddies at work thought I would go nuts given the time of possession and the fact that we lost.

I was not bothered. I said, "Hey, they (Indy) have one of the best offenses in the NFL."

I knew there was an example in history. My mind first went to the Oakland Raiders of the Kenny Stabler era... and I said no, that's not it.

Then I thought maybe it was the Steeler teams and I said /.....no, that's not it.

AND THEN IT HIT ME!

OUR OWN TEAM UNDER DAN MARINO!!!!

We had a great quick strike offense but we could not stop any team that grinded it out.

We simply beat them by outscoring them.

That didn't mean the DEFENSES on those teams were lousy.

It just meant they were playing the greatest quick strike team in the history of the NFL.

HELLLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! That is Peyton Manning and his offense.

I did not see a defense that SUCKED on our part. What I saw was a pretty decent (not great but decent enough) defense being scored on by a great offense.

That's the nature of the Peyton Manning beast, a great passing offense.

In another post, I will man up concerning Pennington and like I said before.

If you want to key on one play that lost it for us, it was Ted Ginn's failure to make the touchdown pass that would have won the game.

Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: September 23, 2009 09:45AM

Man, and after all the Roth haters, DAMN we are sure missing him out there, at least he can tackle people.

Date: September 23, 2009 09:58AM

Date: September 23, 2009 09:59AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 10:18AM

Here is the 3 main reasons why we lost.

1. Crowder and gibril wilson played like crap.

2. Fasano dropped a sure TD pass in the enzone.

3. Ginn dropped 2 count them 2 in the endzone.

PS. What in the world has happened to fasano? Is this the same player from last year? Or is this his twin brother?

Date: September 23, 2009 10:22AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Here is the 3 main reasons why we lost.
>
>
>
> 1. Crowder and gibril wilson played like crap.
>
> 2. Fasano dropped a sure TD pass in the enzone.
>
> 3. Ginn dropped 2 count them 2 in the endzone.
>
>
> PS. What in the world has happened to fasano? Is
> this the same player from last year? Or is this
> his twin brother?

You got it! I have no idea why Fasano isn't showing up. I wonder if his effort is down because he's not being pushed by David Martin. It's not like we have another TE that will press him for the starting job. I'm curious, though. Isn't he a FA next year? It doesn't make sense that he'd be coasting this year.

Date: September 23, 2009 10:22AM

Well i can name more, missed field goal by carpenter, was huge, and a complete waist of time using Pat White to hand off the ball in the most plain looking spread ive ever witnesed, oh yeah and horrible play calling by Sparano to go for the fg, instead of the first down. Last but not least, horrible time management in the two minute drill.

Date: September 23, 2009 10:23AM

HEY the upside is a beautifully executed wildcat. It was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 23, 2009 10:38AM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here is the 3 main reasons why we lost.
> >
> >
> >
> > 1. Crowder and gibril wilson played like crap.
> >
> > 2. Fasano dropped a sure TD pass in the enzone.
> >
> > 3. Ginn dropped 2 count them 2 in the endzone.
> >
> >
> > PS. What in the world has happened to fasano?
> Is
> > this the same player from last year? Or is this
> > his twin brother?
>
> You got it! I have no idea why Fasano isn't
> showing up. I wonder if his effort is down
> because he's not being pushed by David Martin.
> It's not like we have another TE that will press
> him for the starting job. I'm curious, though.
> Isn't he a FA next year? It doesn't make sense
> that he'd be coasting this year.

If you think about it there was just a pass thrown his way in this game and it was that drop in the endzone.

I haven't concentrated on his blocking though. We were able to run effectivelly against the colts. Are the colts that bad against the run or did we just manhandled a good defense.

How was fasano's blocking in this game?

I don't recall seeing him because it was just all going to quick for me.

Had to be good i guess since we ran it well.

Maybe he did so something good in this game afterall.

Date: September 24, 2009 06:58AM

Date: September 26, 2009 05:04AM

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:44AM

We have enough pieces to have a solid defense.

The Defense was anything but solid last week. Sparano needs to have an inovative change moment like he did last year at this time with the offense.

Suggested Changes....

1) Must bring our corners up in press coverage (at least show press coverage) to not allow that underneath stuff to kill us for big plays. We have physical corners. Let them play a physical game.

2) Must do a better job at disguising the blitz's. I can always spot who is coming just before the snap. We have to be much more deceptive. Experienced QB's can slice that stuff up.

3) Must punish bad tackling. If a player is consistant in missing tackles, then he must hit the bench until he cleans up his game.

4) Defense needs to be much more aggressive on every play. We are giving up big plays and not generating turnovers. We have a big, tough defense...yet play on our heels. Anyone who has that ball needs to feel the pain. Stack the runner and allow some big ball jarring saftey hits from Yeremiah Bell. Smack the QB enough to make him alter his throws for our new ball hawk Corner to yank it down.

5) Less rotation of players during a series. Let the players play out a series. Keep it simple. Don't allow a quick count to get us when we are not set. Obviously, if you need a dime package...you need a dime package...but make the transition quickly with less moving parts.

Date: September 26, 2009 06:47AM

we are only allowing teams to 65 yards rushing per game because we can't stop the pass and teams just want to throw on us all day.

Numbers ARE misleading

Date: September 26, 2009 06:53AM

Date: September 26, 2009 07:16AM

Jim B Wrote:
> 4) Defense needs to be much more aggressive on
> every play.
Agreed, but that applies to the whole team! The offense needs to be more aggressive as well. I was disgusted at how the team was slowly walking to the line of scrimmage while the clock was ticking down at the end of the game. Inexcusable!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.