HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Running game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Running game
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: August 24, 2009 06:24PM

Poll
Do you think Miami will have a top 5 rushing offense this year?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
18 votes were received.
Yes 9

50%
No 4

22%
Maybe top 10 5

28%

I believe if our o-line can stay healthy this year the Dolphins can have the number one rushing attack in the NFL.

Problem is... that is a BIG IF.

Smiley, Grove and Thomas are all injury concerns.

Smiley was considered to be our best lineman last year before he got hurt.

Grove has a rep for being able to go one on one with the biggest NT's in the league. He has struggled a bit but should get on track as he showed vs Carolina.

Thomas is a RG in the mold of Steve Hutchinson. Although Hutch played on the left side he is widely considered the best guard in the league. DT is so young and so powerful. The sky is the limit if he can stay on the field.

Sparano is quickly building an ambidextrous offensive line. One that can run to the left as easy as it runs to the right.

Ronnie is back in the form that had him leading the league in rushing and yards from scrimmage in 07. He was dominant until he got hurt and you can't blame him for the injury. It happened while making a tackle after an int (just like Camarillo's).

No reason why we can't lead the league this year. I think Chad will throw the ball less this year because of a much improved rushing attack. His numbers may go down but our overall yardage and time of possession may go up.

Throw in the mix a new rushing threat for the new look Wildcat and Spread offense with White and it will only add to the total.

We have 3 big play running backs and may have the deepest RB postion in the league. Williams is not what he used to be but can still break the big one. Cobbs continually surprised people and is a threat in the passing game as well.

Add in Lex Hilliard and we have a very good insurance policy to protect against injury.

Ronnie is supposed to see more balls thrown his way this season and he is a very good receiver.

Our depth is better this year as we can see by the release of two former emergency starters. Berger, Frye and Murphy are better than what we had last year.

I can't wait until the phins come to my town this week. The 3rd game will have the starters playing more than any other preseason game. The starters should play the entire first half and maybe into the second half with the possibility that Henne will see action with starters after the half.

Tampa is not a good team right now. I predict a blowout in the first three quarters with TB getting some points in garbage time.

National TV on Thursday!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 06:26PM by eesti.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running game
Posted by: MiamiThunder ()
Date: August 24, 2009 06:30PM

I think the Pat White factor is going to help that.

Date: August 24, 2009 06:41PM

How did I know you would say that?

I think Pat White will have about 300 yards rushing, 300 yards passing, 2 Rushing TD's and 3 passing Td's.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: August 24, 2009 06:50PM

Date: August 24, 2009 09:26PM

Carolina no, because they will have to pass more, since beasly is gone.

Date: August 24, 2009 09:27PM

Pat WHITE 438 yards rushing, 375 yards passing, 4 Rtd's 5 passing td's.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: August 25, 2009 12:42AM

Carolina has the best o-line in football. They are a Top 2 or 3 rushing team.

Losing a MLB means you pass the ball more??? Jesus christ thats some logic

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: August 25, 2009 01:08AM

I don't see a greatly improved rushing attack. Grove and Smiley played better this week, but it's preseason. We got rid of Satele not because he didn't play adequately againsts average lines, but because we wanted Grove (the 30 mil dollar man) to be competetive with the best out there. Is he?

It's a head scratcher that we've invested this fortune on the O line, Long, Carey, Grove in the middle, and we're not blowing open holes. Thank god for Thomas, because he's who we're running behind.

I think we'll continue to see dump passes to Ronnie, and wildcat stuff in order to move the ball, because coaches are not going to see the big chuck of run yardage they're looking for on 1st or 2nd down.

I'm hoping Ginn has a breakout year. So far they've kept him under wraps in preseason, but if he can catch a few 15 yarders each game then that will help open up the run.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 25, 2009 02:05AM

I think we'll be up there, but not top 5. The Wildcat and the spread offense with White will give us amble opportunities to rush the ball. Question is, how many people will be carrying it and will Ronnie get 1000 yards?

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: August 25, 2009 05:31AM

If our offensive line stays healthy then we will be up there. I watched the game 3 times and focused on Donald Thomas a whole lot. The guy is awesome.

Date: August 25, 2009 05:37AM

Ok Donald Thomas, we cant just run behind him, or HELLO every team will stack there D to defend agaisnt the run that way. I think Pat Whites spread is going to do some great things, and some not so great things. I believe some sack, but also will be some long bomb td's so its going to be fun none the less to watch. In fact im going to retract my vote, and i only see us as a 4.0 yards per cary line this year, maybe less because of the solid teams we play in our normal set. Wildcat 2.0 sets i see it around a healthy 6 yards per carry. So i belive top ten is within reach. I hope our D is top 15!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 05:39AM by MiamiThunder.

Date: August 25, 2009 05:49AM

Date: August 25, 2009 06:01AM

I dont know about that. Long is solid all round, but? I'm just going to not get on the band wagon yet. Not untill i see how we play agaisn the Flacons, and Colts.

Date: August 25, 2009 06:30AM

hasn't stopped you from jumping on the Pat White bandwagon and he has never played a down yet. At least Long made the Pro Bowl.

Date: August 25, 2009 06:36AM

Date: August 25, 2009 06:42AM

Date: August 25, 2009 05:02PM

Guys i hope and love the fact that we have the potential to kick butt in the running department, but im not going to give it a OH YEAH untill 3 weeks into season.

Date: August 25, 2009 05:59PM

You can't give our running game a top 10 ranking but you can predict Pat White is going to set the league on fire?

Date: August 25, 2009 06:23PM

I didnt say top ten, i said top 5 in the regular set. No we wont be top 5 and will be lucky to reach top 10 in the regular set. Now the Wildcat/Pat will deff change our rushing status in general with yards, but our regular set, i would give 9th thru 17th. I'm going to say in general with the wildcat and wildpat plays, we should be around 6th or 7th overall in rushing, but thats without seeing how Pat White is going to be used, it could be higher? or lower guess we will find out!!

Date: August 25, 2009 06:28PM

I think Titans, Carolina, Giants, Cowgirls, Vikings, will be the top 5 rushing teams this year in the regular sets with Houston comming in or around 6th. I think us, and Philly will be up there with wildcat installs! Depends on injuries to our players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 06:29PM by MiamiThunder.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 25, 2009 08:11PM

As long as Donald Thomas plays, top five.

Date: August 26, 2009 04:24AM

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: August 26, 2009 05:45AM

I logged in on the maybe top 10.

I do believe we'll be better, but believe it or not, I think our success as a dominant running team will be much impacted by our ability to keep teams honest with an effective pass attack.

Else we'll be facing a stacked box, and dpending on wildcat more than I'm hoping for.

Date: August 26, 2009 06:01AM

Good point about the passing attack but I we should be better there as well.

2nd year is same system for most players.
development of Ginn and Bess
addition of Hartline and Turner
better depth than last year.
better running game opens up play action

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.