HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Our Wide Receivers?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Our Wide Receivers?
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 17, 2009 09:39AM

So London is a gunner on ST's...I wonder if they will give Armstrong a look at returner?

Also...keep in mind this was just a prediction so don't get your panties in a wad over that.

I also remember that Armstrong looked great in camp last year but the knock on him was his route running. Coaches and Chad P are saying that he has impressed them with how far he has come in the past year.

I was surprised when he didn't make the team last year so that is why I think he has a better shot this time around. London is all about potential but if you drop passes in practice/camp...you're not gonna be playing much.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:46AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's exactly the point, SamSam. London played
> last year. When Camarillo went down, we looked
> for a receiver to step up. I didn't see him step
> up. Instead, Bess was very productive for us,
> getting open and making plays. Why didn't London?
>
>
> The way I look at it, he had a chance to shine and
> didn't, and now he has one more. There's really
> no way to know. Either Brandon steps it up when
> the pads come on, or he's in trouble, because we
> don't need him to sit on the bench. Armstrong at
> least seems like he's on the rise, not going
> sideways. Besides being the fastest guy in shorts
> last weekend other than Ginn, Armstrong made
> plays, got open, and was a target for the QB's.
> He's got an opportunity, he can make it off the
> practice squad this year.
>
> So we'll see.

So far the only locks i see are....GINN BESS AND CAMARILLO. And i know everybody here agrees with this...The only way these 3 do not make it is because of injury.

As far as london stepping it up.......that goes for everybody else but Ginn bess and camarillo. IMO This trio showed last year they can compete with anybody.....

London and everybody else but the trio will have to compete to make this team...Like sparano said there is a lot of competetion at the WR position this year.....Quote...We will have some hard decisions to make at the WR position this year...QUOTE

Competetion is a good thing to have it brings out the best out of everyone. Specially if you have a lot of talent. And i think we have some WRs harline, turner london armstrong etc just waiting in the background to make a big splash in the NFL......

IMO we will be much much better at the WR position this year.

Date: June 17, 2009 10:57AM

Id be happy if only 1 out of these((((( harline, turner london armstrong,Chris Williams))))))becomes good....

That would mean we have 4 very capable WRs this year.

I have a feeling turner might become a gem sooner that we expect. Just because of his size and hands...They say he has some speed too...Just think about a faster oronde gadsgen....

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:36PM

I remeber Bess stepping up and getting a majority of the chances in offense when Camarillo went down. They asked London to focus on SPecial Teams, since that was in bad shape on kick and punt coverage and that was his specialty in New York. London was promoted because of special teams, he made a name for himself as a reciever kind of by accident, they asked him to play Brandon Marshalls in practice against our first team the week before the Broncos game, becasue of his size and build. He blew the first team defense away in practice and got recognized by the coaches as serious contender for WR. They start to give him reps towards the end of the season and he only got on the field in a hand full of plays, mostly red zone stuff because of his size. I Think he had one shot at a TD, outjumped the CB in the endzone caught the ball, and barely landed with one foot out of bounds, I believe the play was challenged and we lost. But to say London never stepped up, is wrong, he wasn't really given much of a shot to step up, Bess was and he did. EIther way London's special team ability and success makes him all but a lock to make our team.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 17, 2009 02:13PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> So far the only locks i see are....GINN BESS AND
> CAMARILLO.

I think we can write in Turner already. He's a high enough draft pick and has shown enough promise that, I think, he's pretty much already made the team. I also find it interesting that no one is talking about Pat White. I truly think we're only going to carry 5 WRs because PW (even though not listed as a WR) can play that position as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 02:14PM by montequi.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:44PM

Date: June 17, 2009 04:41PM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----
> >
> > So far the only locks i see are....GINN BESS
> AND
> > CAMARILLO.
>
> I think we can write in Turner already. He's a
> high enough draft pick and has shown enough
> promise that, I think, he's pretty much already
> made the team. I also find it interesting that no
> one is talking about Pat White. I truly think
> we're only going to carry 5 WRs because PW (even
> though not listed as a WR) can play that position
> as well.

Turner would really have to mess up to get cut IMO.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: June 18, 2009 06:16AM

Turner probably won't be cut, unless he has a god awful training camp. But young WR's in this league usually do nothing. Even the so called "great ones" (ie Calvin Johnson need time to adjust). I really don't see us done at the WR position in all honesty. There will be some training camp cuts and I can see us adding someone in August. Or I can see us making a "marginal" trade to get someone. Late round pick for an adequate player another team doesn't want.

I still believe Boldin is moved by Week 1. And I think Edwards is moved too. I don't know if we will meet those price tags though and get one. If the price dropped enough though we could. I do believe Baltimore, Chicago, and the Jets are gonna be players in the WR market and do something which might start a mini-ripple effect.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:37AM

DolphinSam Wrote:

>
> I remember that play, and that was a great play.
> He's got a chance, no doubt. But I don't think
> it's fair to say he wasn't given a shot. If you
> impress, you play. For that matter Wilford can
> say the same, his number isn't being called
> enough. But you earn that time on the field, it's
> not given to you.
>
> As far as being a lock, he's not a lock, imo. We
> have too many receivers.

Wilford wasn't brought on our team to be a Special Teams Player, he was signed to be a large redzone reciever. London was brought up to help a struggling SPeccial teams coverage units. He got very few reps or chances at all at WR like I said until a few weeks after the Denver Game. Wilford was signed in the offseason and giving a chance to compete for a starting WR position from day 1, London wasn't, even given any reps, except on the practice squad or 3rd team. ANd Coaches don't put a big emphasis on how u play against the 3rd team, because you catching balls against guys that dont play. This is really London's first real shot IMHO. I hear what you are saying I guess he is a lock as long as another WR doesn't surpass what London bring to the ST coverage units. Special Teams will be the reason half of the recievers make it on the team. With London, Wake and CObbs storming down to destroy the returner, we should be improved on Coverage. I think we were the worse in the leauge at coverage last year at the 1/2 way point of the season.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:38AM

Date: June 18, 2009 11:08AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Turner probably won't be cut, unless he has a god
> awful training camp. But young WR's in this league
> usually do nothing.

Id be happy if turner had as big of an impact Jackson, DeSean had for philadelphia. He had a great year. Probably its too much to ask for a low rounder but you never know.....

Date: June 21, 2009 03:17AM

I looked at Omar's blog and he wrote a brief a riser/faller article. Funny thing is, he correctly has Armstrong as the riser and said London's stock has fallen, and yet he feels Armstrong will probably remain on the practice squad.

It will be interesting to see how all of that shakes out for the receivers. When the pads come on, we'll know, and I'll say again, imo everyone by now has had some kind of opportunity to show what they got, nobody's a rookie except turner and hartline. When these receivers' numbers are called during practice and preseason, they'll need to make plays. They'll need to get open, need to catch the ball, pretty much every time they have it thrown to them, because of the competition.

Personally, I hope Armstrong makes it because he's fast, and we need a fast receiver besides Ginn.

Date: June 21, 2009 04:20AM

A lot of fans continue to say
armstrong will make it instead of london.

I ask myself this question...

Armstrong was on the practice squad last year...........How come no other team picked him up if he is all that great........????

I wish them all the best.

May the better man win the job.

Date: June 21, 2009 08:19AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> A lot of fans continue to say
> armstrong will make it instead of london.
>
> I ask myself this question...
>
> Armstrong was on the practice squad last
> year...........How come no other team picked him
> up if he is all that great........????
>
> I wish them all the best.
>
> May the better man win the job.

Why did San Diego cut Wes Welker before he signed with us? Some guys improve significantly in a short period of time. Other guys manage to fly under the radar until they finally get noticed.

Date: June 21, 2009 09:23AM

montequi Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > A lot of fans continue to say
> > armstrong will make it instead of london.
> >
> > I ask myself this question...
> >
> > Armstrong was on the practice squad last
> > year...........How come no other team picked
> him
> > up if he is all that great........????
> >
> > I wish them all the best.
> >
> > May the better man win the job.
>
> Why did San Diego cut Wes Welker before he signed
> with us? Some guys improve significantly in a
> short period of time. Other guys manage to fly
> under the radar until they finally get noticed.

They cut him because at that time he wasn't good enough to make the san diego squad or they just had better receivers...........

Thats what iam afraid of........That we cut some receiver, then he goes on to have a great career somewhere else.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: June 21, 2009 09:44AM

Date: June 21, 2009 03:02PM

"Armstrong was on the practice squad last
> year...........How come no other team picked him
> up if he is all that great........????"

We're dealing with quantity here, not quality. We got lucky that Camarillo panned out, and that Bess was a jewel that no one noticed. Even still, they're not elite by any means. They're good receivers that move the chains for us. Armstrong, I don't know if he'll make the team, but since he's fast and we need someone like that on the field, I hope he makes it. I seem to remember him impressing in practice last year too, and yet didn't make it....so we'll see. In regards to your comment about coming off the practice squad, that's where we got London. So no one's beating down London's door either.

Our offense's weakness at receiver is also our strength. Defenses can't key on just one guy, they can all catch the ball. It's team play. And since our last draft, looks like it will again be a team effort.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 21, 2009 04:33PM

DSam london played the entire preseason last year with the giants.....I believe he was just cut. Thats when we signed him.

Date: June 21, 2009 04:38PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:

>
>
> There's a reason it takes most WR's 2-3 years to
> mature in the NFL.

Then there is Bess.......He is actually as good as welker from day 1.

Date: June 21, 2009 06:02PM

Date: June 21, 2009 06:11PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> >
> > There's a reason it takes most WR's 2-3 years
> to
> > mature in the NFL.
>
> Then there is Bess.......He is actually as good as
> welker from day 1.

That has yet to be seen. On pure skill I'd say YES, but that fire and competitiveness that Welker has is something I don't quite see (yet) in Bess.

Date: June 22, 2009 03:44AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > There's a reason it takes most WR's 2-3 years
> > to
> > > mature in the NFL.
> >
> > Then there is Bess.......He is actually as good
> as
> > welker from day 1.
>
> Are you actually suggesting that Bess and Welker
> were equal players at any point last year, let
> alone from week #1??

Not on week one.......But as the season progressed bess was playing up to the same level as welker was. To me they are about the same type player, same height, weight, skill, hands, speed etc.

Date: June 22, 2009 03:50AM

Now if i had to choose from one of them i would choose welker based on experience.........Welker is ahead of bess on experience.

On skills and talent they are about the same IMO.

Date: June 22, 2009 06:13AM

Date: June 22, 2009 07:56AM

I probably exagerated a bit yes. But still IMO bess can do as good a job as welker did on this team. In fact bess did better last year compared to what welker ever did as a member of the phins.

Welker got to the next level when he had brady and moss along with all the other stars on his team.

Just imagine what bess could acomplish on that new england team. IMHO i believe he would be equaly as good as welker.

Date: June 22, 2009 02:09PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> bess did better last year compared
> to what welker ever did as a member of the
> phins.
>
You're history's a bit off there. In 2004 Welker had a game where he subbed for our kicker. He kicked a FG and extra point, and he ran back kicks and punts and made a tackle on special teams. Ironically (or not), it was against the Patriots. He also nearly returned a punt for TD that year (71 yards). Purely as a WR he didn't do much that year, but he was, undoubtedly, the MVP of our team.

Date: June 22, 2009 07:39PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: June 22, 2009 08:37PM

Welker's last year in Miami though we stunk. We were always behind and throwing every down late in those games. Helped pad his stats.

Nevertheless..........

Welker is clearly a better player. His 2007 stats prove that. 112-1175-8 and in the Super Bowl he tied the Super Bowl record with 11 receptions in the game. That is a career year for anyone EVER!! Rice, Largent, ....ANYONE!! And last year with a BACK-UP QB he caught 1 less pass and 10 less yards than his 2007 numbers. Ain't bad with a back-up no matter HOW GOOD the back-up is. Put Bess on those NE teams and he ain't putting up those numbers.

Now all of this isn't a knock on Bess. Devon is a good player who has a bright future in front of him. But Welker is on another level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 08:38PM by MikeO.

Date: June 23, 2009 08:29AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Welker's last year in Miami though we stunk. We
> were always behind and throwing every down late in
> those games. Helped pad his stats.

Exactly. I agree welker is the better player as of now......With that been said i truly believe bess would do as well as welker on that patriots team.

Posted by: rafael ()
Date: June 23, 2009 11:27AM

IMO by the end of his rookie season Bess was as good as Welker was in his last season in Miami. And Bess is able to play #2 adequately in a pinch. Welker is a great slot WR but he can't play the #2. Skill wise Welker is slightly quicker (only slightly), but Bess is bigger and faster. Bess is years ahead, development wise from where Welker was as a rookie. Right now I wouldn't trade Bess for Welker straight up based on the skills they currently have, potential, age and salary.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.