HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Our Wide Receivers?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Our Wide Receivers?
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 16, 2009 04:11AM

The following Wideouts are on our roster. Outside of Ted Ginn and maybe Bess, I don't think any of them have a secure roster spot. Camarillo received a contract extension last year, but then suffered a season ending injury. There is no guarantee, he will be the same guy. Patrick Turner received plenty of praise from Sparano following the rookie camp so his chances look good. There was a lot of talk about London and that vignette of him in practice. He looked good and he certainly has the size and is a quality special teamer, but the same can be said about draftee Brian Hartline. I would like to see more of Armstrong. Based on what I hear following practices, it seems he has big play potential. Lowber intrigues me with his amazing athleticism, however, he might not have the skills.

11 Armstrong, Anthony WR 5-11 175
14 Marion, Brennan WR 5-11 190
15 Bess, Davone WR 5-10 190
16 Lowber, Todd WR 6-3 205
17 London, Brandon WR 6-4 210
18 Wilford, Ernest WR 6-4 225
19 Ginn Jr., Ted WR 5-11 180
82 Hartline, Brian WR 6-2 195
83 Camarillo, Greg WR 6-1 190
84 Turner, Patrick WR 6-5 223
87 Williams, Chris WR 5-8 175

My picks:

Ginn, Camarillo, Bess, Turner, London, Hartline. Do we keep 5 or 6 this year? Go ahead and pick 6, one is potentially going to be injured and Camarillo may even start the season on the PUP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Our Wide Receivers?
Posted by: jsaint1023 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 04:56AM

They have to keep Wilford for at least this year. It would be way too expensive to cut him until after the 2009 season, otherwise he would already be looking for another job.

My picks
Wilford, Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, Turner, Hartline.

If Camarillo is on the PUP list, then the Dolphins keep London in the mean time and go from there.

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 05:36AM

unless Wilford does a complete 360 from last year there is no way he makes this team over the other guys, both London and Hartline are special teamers aswell as young talented receivers, the more you do the better your shot.
I agress with Twilley, I want to see Armstrong, everytime I read on this guy he's burning someone in practice. He knows the plays, he knows the offense, this guy is my sleeper from the receivers and Lowber too, I think this kid has a shot he has good size also. We'll see, it should be a great competition.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 16, 2009 08:02AM

Parcels did a good job of mentoring unheralded WR's in Dallas and they usually progressed enough to make contributions or start. It will be interesting to see if Armstrong, London and Lowber take the next step this year. Lowber has the highest upside. He is one of the fastest players in the NFL.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jsaint1023 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 08:07AM

ThaFishula13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unless Wilford does a complete 360 from last year
> there is no way he makes this team over the other
> guys, both London and Hartline are special teamers
> aswell as young talented receivers, the more you
> do the better your shot.
> I agress with Twilley, I want to see Armstrong,
> everytime I read on this guy he's burning someone
> in practice. He knows the plays, he knows the
> offense, this guy is my sleeper from the receivers
> and Lowber too, I think this kid has a shot he has
> good size also. We'll see, it should be a great
> competition.

If Wilford did a complete 360 from last year, wouldn't he be exactly where he started?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2009 09:52AM

I think we will play 6 receivers, but Pat White will be #6.

My bet is that Wilford is gone.

Bess and Ginn are locks. Turner and Hartline should to be there too. The rest... well we have a LOT of competition in camp now for that final spot. I think the London has the edge over Camarillo - a big guy, playing time with a quality team. He made some plays last year. If Turner or Hartline don't work out, then maybe one of the others got a shot.

Other possibility will see Camarillo playing with Hartline on the PS.

Posted by: Carolina Phin ()
Date: May 16, 2009 10:59AM

London will not make the initial cut, it will be Camarillo, Bess, Ginn, Hartline, Marion, Turner with Lowber,Armstrong and London on the practice squad if they pass waivers... I hear alot of good about Brennan Marion and I believe he will be the sleeper.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 11:51AM

I agree and i will bet as well that willford will be gone.

As far as london goes, i believe he will have as good a shot at making this team as everyone else. He can very well turn out to be a great player for us.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2009 01:08PM

Yea, I don't see London getting axed on the initial cut. He was a late addition last year and had a couple key catches. He's a Parcells type - physically. He's shown promise. He will be staying around through TC, and if he's cut it will be on the final one.

If you are looking for a WR gone at the initial cut, look at Wilford.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 16, 2009 02:04PM

ghotirule Wrote:
> Yea, I don't see London getting axed on the
> initial cut. He was a late addition last year and
> had a couple key catches. He's a Parcells type -
> physically. He's shown promise. He will be
> staying around through TC, and if he's cut it will
> be on the final one.
>
> If you are looking for a WR gone at the initial
> cut, look at Wilford.

I guess it's going to depend on who pulls more weight when it comes to cuts. If it's Sparano, then Wilford is gone; if Parcells or Ireland decide to overrule him, then Wilford may stay around.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 02:13PM

Date: May 16, 2009 02:20PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> I think London gets traded

That would be nice. I'd like to see us do the same with Jason Allen. At this point getting ANYTHING of value is better than just cutting them outright, but the question is: Will any team actually pull the trigger on that trade knowing there is a chance the player(s) will be cut anyway?

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: May 16, 2009 06:21PM

Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, London, Turner, Armstrong

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: May 16, 2009 06:31PM

Hartline is almost a lock to make it almost solely on his special teams abilities.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 16, 2009 07:25PM

Camarillo starts on the PUP.

We carry 6 until it looks like he is ready to play and then try to sneak 1 onto the practice squad.

Bess, Ginn, & Turner are locks.

London, Hartline & Wilford fight are the most logical to make it.

If one of the small guys shows some good hands and crisp breaks, then they will have to choose between London and Wilford.

London is inexperienced, showed flashes of what 'could be' but needs to come in and show he has used his off-season wisely.

Wilford is in the doghouse, but has experience. he needs to come in and 'win his spot' .

Another option for Wilford is to come in, don't change, get cut and sign a 1 year contract with a team that also needs a chain mover.

I don't see us trading anyone from this group...Bess is young and valuable, Ginn is too valuable and expensive and no-one else would get us much.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 04:36PM

Im against us trading ginn or bess.

Date: June 12, 2009 02:07PM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> I would like to see more of
> Armstrong. Based on what I hear following
> practices, it seems he has big play potential.

The trend continues. See quotes from the papers below:

"2007 practice squad receiver Anthony Armstrong is running with the second team."

"Anthony Armstrong continuing to impress, getting open for a 45-yard score on a similar streak down the left sideline from Pennington. Reserve corner Joey Thomas got beat on that one."

"Anthony Armstrong had a nice long TD catch over Eric Green down the sideline."

"Two players really stood out to me during Friday morning's practice. Anthony Armstrong, who I'd swear is running with the second team, and Paul Soliai, who was productive at the line of scrimmage. Armstrong caught the only touchdown during the red zone drill when he tip-toed a bullet from Chad Henne in the back of the end zone. I'm really starting to wonder if he can make the 53."

How does this guy not make the team?

Date: June 13, 2009 03:05AM

Date: June 13, 2009 11:10AM

Cross London off my list and add Armstrong. Seems to me that Hartline will fill London's role. Armstrong is doing too well not to be given an opportunity. The guy is a blazer and makes lots of plays in practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 02:22PM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: June 13, 2009 06:48PM

Sparano says he's keeping 6.

So far the following six should make it:

Ginn, Armstrong, Camarillo, Bess, Turner, Hartline

(Wilford is a TE now, and London is not playing well. If Turner steps up we don't need London.)

When we first drafted Hartline I wasn't sure if he'd make it. But I think coaches like him for his speed and smarts.

Date: June 14, 2009 03:46AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
> Sparano says he's keeping 6.
>
> So far the following six should make it:
>
> Ginn, Armstrong, Camarillo, Bess, Turner,
> Hartline
>
I agree with the first 5, but we have a lot of time to see if Hartline, or someone else, will be the 6th. I think, worst case, we keep Hartline on the practice squad.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 16, 2009 04:16AM

Prediction...Our starting WR's will be...

Ted Ginn (#1 Flanker, #1 kick returner)
Anthony Armstrong (#2 Flanker, #1a Slot, punt returner)
Davone Bess (#1b Slot)
Greg Camarillo (#1 Split End)
Patrick Turner (#2 Slot, #2 Split End, #1 Red Zone Slot)
Brian Hartline (#3 Split End, punt returner)

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: June 16, 2009 05:48AM

Armstrong looks good in mini-camp. Can we please wait until the hitting starts to claim him as a starter!?

I have seen many future hall of famers in OTA's and minicamps.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: June 16, 2009 07:11AM

eesti Wrote:
> Prediction...Our starting WR's will be...
>
> Ted Ginn (#1 Flanker, #1 kick returner)
> Anthony Armstrong (#2 Flanker, #1a Slot, punt
> returner)
> Davone Bess (#1b Slot)
> Greg Camarillo (#1 Split End)
> Patrick Turner (#2 Slot, #2 Split End, #1 Red Zone
> Slot)
> Brian Hartline (#3 Split End, punt returner)

6 starting WRs? What is this, the run-and-shoot? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 07:38AM

I dont know why is everybody counting on armstrong to make the team over london..................?

Armstrong hasn't done jack yet in the nfl. London at least has game experience from last year and plays well on special teams.

I hope armstrong turns out a superstar but lets be realistic. He impressed during workouts in shorts and no contact.

PS. Id be happy to have london play well on special teams and have him just make 4 or 5 espectacular plays a year like that 3rd down play he had against the jets where he lauched himself forward to make the catch.

Why is everyone writting london off everywhere?

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: June 16, 2009 07:40AM

Armstrong won't even make the team. And that is saying something considering our weak group of WR's

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: June 16, 2009 08:38PM

I'm feeling Ginn, Camarillo, Bess, London, and Turner, with Armstrong as the 6th if we keep 6 WRs, and Hartline and Marion on the Practice Squad (if they aren't claimed by another team).

Date: June 17, 2009 01:44AM

You guys are forgetting Pat White. We may only keep 5 WRs because White can play that position in a pinch.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:44AM

That's exactly the point, SamSam. London played last year. When Camarillo went down, we looked for a receiver to step up. I didn't see him step up. Instead, Bess was very productive for us, getting open and making plays. Why didn't London?

The way I look at it, he had a chance to shine and didn't, and now he has one more. There's really no way to know. Either Brandon steps it up when the pads come on, or he's in trouble, because we don't need him to sit on the bench. Armstrong at least seems like he's on the rise, not going sideways. Besides being the fastest guy in shorts last weekend other than Ginn, Armstrong made plays, got open, and was a target for the QB's. He's got an opportunity, he can make it off the practice squad this year.

So we'll see.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 09:28AM

I agree with this prediction: Ginn, Camarillo, Bess, Turner, London, but lets see how Hartline and Armstrong compete during the preseason and minicamps with pads on as others emphasized.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.