HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bylaws
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bylaws
Posted by: jsaint1023 ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:46AM

I work with a guy who is also a die-hard Miami Dolphins fan, and together we created a set of bylaws that we as Dolphin Fans must obey. I wanted to post them to get feedback and in case I forgot something. Here are all of them. Negative feedback is welcome but postive feedback is encouraged. I am not perfect.

1. When an accepted member of the Dolphin Fan Crew raises his or her hand in any manner similar to a “high-five” and utters the word “Dolphin Fan”, then the high five must be returned and his or her words must be repeated verbatim.
2. In order to be a true “Dolphin Fan”, you must own at least one jersey of any player in Miami Dolphin history. The jersey can also be personalized, as long as it is a Miami Dolphins Jersey.
3. Dan Marino is the greatest quarterback of all time. This cannot be argued in any way shape or form. As a Dolphin Fan, you must know his birthday, high school name, where he attended college, the year and slot in which he was drafted, and career passing stats. When questioned about this, it must be answered without hesitation. Also, you must know all 3 drafts he was selected in as well as year.
4. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl because he had no running game and no defense. When questioned about this, respond as such.
5. The Wildcat Formation will be defended to the death.
6. Any Dolphin draft selection and free agent signing must be researched and properly defended as necessary.
7. Cam Cameron is the worst head coach in history and anything that happened during his coaching tenure must be forgotten. If therapy is necessary to suppress these painful memories, then the cost will be footed by the fan in need, but other Dolphin Fans will buy him or her dinner and drinks every Friday while in therapy, unless therapy did not occur that week.
8. As a Dolphin Fan, the Patriots are our most bitter rival, and are never to be rooted for, unless a Patriot Victory benefits the Dolphins in any way, i.e., beating any team above the Dolphins in the divisional or wildcard standings.
9. If anybody wants to join this group, and does not fit the criteria, then a meeting will commence as soon as possible to determine possible induction.
10. Bill Belichick is evil and shall be treated as such.
11. In Tuna We Trust
12. On Game Days, at least one piece of Dolphin Apparel will be worn.
13. Any nationally televised games will be watched for as long as they go. If the game runs late, you better take a nap that day.
14. Dolphin Fans must never lose touch with other accepted members. The internet is there for a reason.
15. Any requests for changes must be submitted in a typed format and signed. A copy must be submitted to each Upper Level Dolphin Fan. After the request is received, a meeting will be scheduled and the request will be voted on and added if approved.
16. All of these bylaws are subject to change and modification at any time by the Upper Level Dolphin Fans and will be passed only by a unanimous vote and signatures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 11:47AM by jsaint1023.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bylaws
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:56AM

jsaint1023 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3. Dan Marino is the greatest quarterback of all
> time. This cannot be argued in any way shape or
> form. As a Dolphin Fan, you must know his
> birthday, high school name, where he attended
> college, the year and slot in which he was
> drafted, and career passing stats. When
> questioned about this, it must be answered without
> hesitation. Also, you must know all 3 drafts he
> was selected in as well as year.

So are you allowed to argue that the 72 Phins aren't the greatest team of all-time?

Date: May 15, 2009 12:02PM

You can argue about the greatest team of all time, but it can not be argued that the 72 Dolphins were and still remain the only team to go through an entire season without a single loss. That in itself is a huge accomplishment, regardless of their "soft schedule" because on Any Given Sunday,any team can beat any team.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:05PM

Date: May 15, 2009 12:08PM

Dan Marino has the exact same birthday as my biological mother. Sept 15, 1961. Since her and I are not on the best terms, I use Dan's birthday to remember hers. Anyone can find that information on Google.

61,361 Yards
420 Touchdowns
27th overall, 1983
Central Catholic High School
University of Pittsburgh

Drafted 1st round, 1979 MLB Draft by KC Royals
Drafted 1st overall, 1983 USFL Draft, LA Express

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: May 15, 2009 02:22PM

i'd modify or line item these:

#2 Some people dont like uniforms, I never owned any from any team, any sport...But I was wearing my Dolphins logo T even in the worst seasons... smiling smiley

#3 iffy but okay... Griese was a good one too

(dont need 4 without 3)

#5 Wildcat will probably evolve into some form of run'n'shoot

#7 I think Wanny was way worse

#8 I live to hate all 3 of our division rivals Jets, Bills and Pats.

The rest are good smileys with beer

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: May 15, 2009 03:23PM

What...nothing about one of the best coaches on the planet... Don Shula?

Nick Saban is clearly the worst Dolphins coach. He walked away from this team and then replaced the son of Shula at Alabama...a double wammy.

Any coach following that walkout would struggle.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2009 05:11PM

Date: May 15, 2009 06:38PM

For the record, I have been a die-hard fan since 1993. The first game I ever saw was Dolphins-Steelers and Dan Marino torched them. Been a fan ever since, through everything, even though 1-15 hurt my soul. No one can question my love for the Dolphins.

Cam had a chance at Brady Quinn and passed, drafted a 26 year old QB in the 2nd round, went 1-15 and the one win was lucky.

While Wannestadt kept trading 2nd rounders for old QBs who had 3-4 good games, I believe that Cam is an excellent OC (look what he did for B-more) but a terrible coach. I wonder if he even cared.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 15, 2009 06:53PM

Was that the 95 game on Monday Night against the Steelers? If so I was there too.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 15, 2009 06:53PM

jsaint1023 Wrote:
> While Wannestadt kept trading 2nd rounders for old
> QBs who had 3-4 good games, I believe that Cam is
> an excellent OC (look what he did for B-more) but
> a terrible coach. I wonder if he even cared.

Wanny was a very good DC in Dallas. Some guys are good at X's and O's but they aren't true leaders. These guys usually make good coordinators but not-so-good head coaches.

I think this is why you're seeing more position coaches (Sparano, Harbaugh) being offered head coaching jobs than in the past (and fewer college coaches or coordinators). Also, the advent of the "Assistant" Head Coach position has helped groom position coaches into head coaches.

Date: May 15, 2009 07:44PM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> Was that the 95 game on Monday Night against the
> Steelers? If so I was there too.

Now that I think about it, it might have been. My dad is from Pittsburgh, and is die-hard about all Pittsburgh teams, even the Pirates. That is where I learned loyalty. As long as I can remember, I have lived and died with Miami.

Posted by: Rmorc13 ()
Date: May 16, 2009 03:44AM

10 and 11 are very true.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: May 17, 2009 03:16PM

8. As a Dolphin Fan, the Patriots are our most bitter rival

----> NO THATS THE Assshole JETS

smoking smiley 420 TDs smoking smiley

Amendment to #5---

5. Don Shula is the #1 Don. Over Don Corleoni, Don Johnson, Don Hoe, Don Zimmer, Don Sutton, Don Wahlberg and Don anybody else.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 17, 2009 05:54PM

Gotta agree. Wanny still makes me want to puke.

1) Screwed over Marino.

2) Was in love with Jay Fiedler to the point that he passed up on Drew Brees, siging a young Trent Green.

ARGH!!!!

I can't do this! Just remembering a few F---ups and I am getting angry.

Cam Cameron? who knows how it would have turned out. he was inexperienced and had a crappy team.

Wanny screwed us for a long time and left a horrible mess to clean up.

I can't agree to any by-laws that over-look such a dark period in our history. If you are old enough to remember Marino, how can you forget Wanny?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: May 17, 2009 06:32PM

realist Wrote:
> Cam Cameron? who knows how it would have turned
> out. he was inexperienced and had a crappy team.
>
You kidding? By the end of that season Cam had lost all control of the team. Short of cleaning house, there was no way Cam was going to gain back the respect he had lost.

Being wiser, Cam MAY get another chance at a head coaching position and succeed, but his chance with Miami was lost by mid-season.

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: May 17, 2009 07:20PM

Wanny through our dolphins into quicksand, every year it was getting worse and worse until the ship eventually sunk! It was a slow painful aaaarrrgghh!!!!! Fool!!!! he traded a 2nd round pick for AJ Feely, I said it all with that.....

Oh and Yes Marino is the Greatest ever, no questions asked.... He should've won atleast 3 rings if they would've given him just an average defense and running game... He's still the best

Run Ricky Run!!!!

Posted by: Khaziglu ()
Date: May 17, 2009 08:04PM

1. huh?
2. I have a jersey .. it is a Welker jersey .. more later
3. Dan is the best passer of all time ... QB .. different thing
4. Trueish
5. Death of the formation? I love it .. love the Pat White pick but as someone else said use it while it works then let it go.
6. okay ......
7. Not even close .. Jimmy Johnson laid the groundwork for our descent into mediocrity, which led to the Wanny debacle but Saban ... he deliberately screwed with this team so he wins my worst coach of all ... Cameron was just a moron. I put him below Jimmy but above Wanny and Saban
8 Patriots suck .. we beat them like 11 straight years they are on a run but have no real history .. the Jets ... they beat Don Shula (which worked our for us) .. but we hate them for alot more reasons then the patriots
9 ?
10 Bill is a great coach/manipulator of the rules he is bad for football so we agree.
11 I do
12 My only current Dolphin gear is a Welker jersey ... and as much as I loved the guy as a phin he is a patriot
13 of course
yada yada

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 18, 2009 05:02AM

Don't forget to give Rick Speilman some credit for the downfall. He sucked equally as bad with all the trading of draft picks for sucky players.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: May 18, 2009 05:53AM

This is a little oversimplified but....Actually JJ drafted 44 players while in charge of Miami. Out of those players here are his grades...

A....Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Pat Surtain, Sam Madison
B....Daryl Gardener #1-20

top busts....Yatil Green #1-15, John Avery #1-29, JJ Johnson #2-8

The rest are average players....

He got very lucky with JT & ZT. (If he knew they were going to be that good they would have been 1st round picks.)

That's 5/44 or around 10% of his picks were very solid players that had good careers. A few others were ok but nothing of note so he didn't build much of a foundation for anything. The core of this team was already in place and he took over a team that was 9-7 and 10-6 the year before....

OJ McDuffie, Norman Hand, Dan Marino, Tim Ruddy, Richmond Webb, Keith Sims, John Bock, Tim Bowens, Louis Oliver, Troy Drayton, Bernie Parmalee were all here before JJ.

To be fair, he did draft two potential HOF'ers but got lucky/fortunate with late round pics. JT and ZT made JJ's career in Miami.

Wanny/Speilman who drafted 35 players can be given credit for...

Todd Wade, Chris Chambers, Morlon Greenwood, Seth McKinney, Randy McMichael, Yeremiah Bell, Rex Hadnot and Vernon Carey. Two or three solid players and the rest above average.

The rest were average to flops....and the traded picks were all wasted except for Ricky Williams who came at a very steap price. That's 22%. He also wasted a pick on Eddie Moore.

Saban drafted 13 players and can be credited for Ronnie Brown, Matt Roth and Channing Crowder and that's about it. That's 23%.

Cam/Meuller drafted 10 players out of which about 4 were decent players...Ginn, Satele and Fields. Soliai is "iffy" and yet to earn a check. That's 30%.

So 4 regimes and 12 bad drafts/off seasons were the downfall of this team. I will even give JJ credit for 96 & 97 draft and Saban credit for the 05 draft and make it 9 unsuccessful drafts in 12 years.

.....................................................................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 11:00AM by eesti.

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 07:07AM

Eddie Moore was Wanny's pick not Saban's.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: May 18, 2009 04:14PM

No I'm not kidding. Notice i didn't say "he would have been good" I said "who knows how it would have turned out.

And that comment was in the context of comparing Cam's 1 year to Wanny's 5.

No comparison.

Wanny inherited an 11-5 team with a dominant D

Cam inherited a Cap strapped, team, void of any young impact players ( thanks to Wanny & Saban) and some old vet's who lead the locker-room like a wet blanket spreads a grass fire.

You can't possibly think Cam did more damage than Wanny? Do you?

Date: May 19, 2009 09:13AM

few more line items to be added before I join...

17. seasons 2004-2007 did not exist and will be never be acknowledged as fact.

18. If you boo the Dolphins at a home game, you will be bludgeoned with empty LandShark Lager Bottles until you sing "Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie & the Blowfish (I'm such a baby cause the Dolphins make me cry)

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 19, 2009 10:07AM

eesti Wrote:
> few more line items to be added before I join...
>
> 17. seasons 2004-2007 did not exist and will be
> never be acknowledged as fact.
>
> 18. If you boo the Dolphins at a home game, you
> will be bludgeoned with empty LandShark Lager
> Bottles until you sing "Only Wanna Be With You" by
> Hootie & the Blowfish (I'm such a baby cause the
> Dolphins make me cry)

I can't remember the last time I agreed more with a post on this board!

The only thing I'd change is that I'd make these bylaws #1 and #2!

Date: May 19, 2009 04:12PM

I accept your addition to the bylaws and they have been added.

Date: May 19, 2009 04:17PM

I just added this one to it as well.

11. Dave Wannstadt and Jimmy Johnson, along with 12 bad years of personnel decisions, laid the groundwork for the Cam Cameron debacle and the 1-15 season that was the result of it. This must be acknowledged and they will be forgiven only upon a Dolphins Super Bowl victory. We would have never gotten the Tuna without those two, but only a championship absolves them.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: June 01, 2009 09:32AM

The absolute worst coach in dolphin history (albeit not head coach) was Tom Olivadottie.

He alone is the single largest reason Dan marino is not wearing a SB ring.

As much as I like Shula, never understood why he kep that bum around as OC.

Date: June 01, 2009 10:17AM

Phinjim Wrote:
>
> As much as I like Shula, never understood why he
> kep that bum around as OC.

Olivadotti was the DC, not the OC, but you're absolutely correct.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: June 01, 2009 11:52AM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> 8. As a Dolphin Fan, the Patriots are our most
> bitter rival
>
> ----> NO THATS THE Assshole JETS

RESPONSE: You've got a thing about the Jets. Right now, our most bitter rivals are the Patriots.

Historically, there have been few times the Jets have had a decent enough team to climb from the bottom of the Division.

When we started in 67, we were a pretty poor team and it is true that the Jets with Joe Namath beat the Baltimore Colts and brought respectability to the AFL.

However, with the reorganization of the league into the NFC and the AFC, we were placed in the same division with the Baltimore Colts who for a long time were our most bitter rivals.

I remember because my fiance at the time was a Colts and Johnny Unitas fan.

After we went to three straight super bowls, the Colts got Bert Jones and they were our biggest competition.

The Patriots stole a superbowl appearance from us in 1985 but were never much of a threat during those days and before.

At that time, our biggest rivals were the Buffalo Bills, first with OJ Simpson, going back to our pre-SuperBowl years and then afterwards with Thurman Thomas.

Pretty much since Thurman Thomas, our chief rivals have still either been the Colts or the Patriots.

The Jets are but a sad joke and with the exception of that one year with Broadway Joe, have never really come close to smelling even a conference championship.

As such, they are not worthy of any worry on our part.

Date: June 02, 2009 04:07AM

Let me preface this by saying I live in New England, and I guarantee you all that nobody hates the Patriots more than I do. Nobody.

I think that a lot of the reason for the permanent animosity towards the Jets is the fact that so many New Yorkers relocate either permanently to S. FL or as snowbirds, then fill up our stadium for home games.

Then there's also the lifetime series record vs. the Jets..they lead us by something like six games. And during a stretch from 1978 THROUGH 1981 we never once beat the Jets. That right there is reason enough to regard them as a top permanent enemy.

And finally, even when they're having a poor season overall, the Jets way too often are a thorn in our side. Even when led by mediocre QBs such as Richard Todd they have managed to win too many games against us, even when they're not a threat to win the division.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.