HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          John Beck Released
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
John Beck Released
Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:24PM

WQAM just reported that the Dolphins released John Beck.

What a waste of a pick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: John Beck Released
Posted by: wayne ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:27PM

Unfortunately for Beck Cam was shipped off. BP had no ties to the kid therefore didn't have an obligation to him. Personally I like him and wish him luck.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:29PM

I was so hopeful he was going to be the guy when he was drafted. He seemed like a quality guy. I want to see him hook up somewhere and have success.

Posted by: pvtfish ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:31PM

We should have traded him, even if we only get like a 6th rounder for him, its better than this load of nothing we got now

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:38PM

I wish him the best. In a lot of ways the opportunity he got in 2007 (on one of the worst teams in NFL history) really hurt his career.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:55PM

why now, exactly? there is no roster # we needed to get to and if we held on to him thru training camp, maybe someone would have gotten hurt on another team and we could have gotten a 6th for him. makes no sense to me

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: April 27, 2009 02:56PM

Once we drafted Pat White, no team would trade for Beck because they knew he would be released.

Actually, it's a shame Cam ruined the guy's career. He knew Beck was raw and not ready to go, and yet he put him right behind an older QB coming off a concussion.

I keep hearing him in my head, "You have to get ready, John." Cam did nothing to help the kid and certainly did him no favors by drafting him.

But, ultimately, it was Beck's responsbility to show up on the field, and he didn't.

Date: April 27, 2009 03:03PM

I don't think Peyton Manning would have looked good for the 2007 Dolphins. Beck had no chance on that team. No line, no RB, no experience at WR - it was a QB's nightmare.

Maybe by being released now he will get an opportunity to find a team that wants him and that he'll be happy playing for.

Posted by: phinfanjake ()
Date: April 27, 2009 03:26PM

its too bad: Miami couldnt get anything back for him, and he had to play during the worst Dolphin year ever..... and is a good guy

more 2nd rounders spent on QBs.... Miami still can't seem to get it right

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2009 04:54PM

phinfanjake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> more 2nd rounders spent on QBs.... Miami still
> can't seem to get it right

Hopefully Henne and White will break that streak.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:29PM

I assume they tried to move him during the draft and had no takers. They probably didn't want him stealing reps that Henne and White could have.

Talk about all time draft bust. 40th overall selection. The 40th selection this year was...ironically...Ron Brace!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 27, 2009 05:32PM

Beck didn't pan out for us; but there are plenty of duds taken in the top 5 picks of the first round that would get the all time draft bust tag before Beck would.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 27, 2009 05:40PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> Beck didn't pan out for us; but there are plenty
> of duds taken in the top 5 picks of the first
> round that would get the all time draft bust tag
> before Beck would.

You mean like:

Ryan Leaf
Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Tony Mandarich
Alex Smith
etc...

Date: April 27, 2009 05:49PM

I'm talkin about Miami drafts....This guy was touted as Miami's savior. He won't even be a good backup.

There are also plenty of high talent players taken at the top of the 2nd....look at this year....it would have gotten us....

Brace, Butler, Laurinaitus, Maualuga, Robiskie, Brown, Barwin.

Last year...Henne, Merling, Donnie Avery, Brandon Flowers, John Carlson, Eddie Royal, Matt Forte, Desean Jackson.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: PHINSKISS13 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 06:18PM

I hope he has a chance elsewhere.....good luck to him.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: April 27, 2009 07:24PM

Anyone know offhand who was still available when Cam selected Beck.
We must have missed out on a ton of talent at #40.
Actually I don't want to know. It will only hurt.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 27, 2009 08:02PM

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 27, 2009 08:15PM

He sucks. The guy can't play in this league. He isn't any good.

can't trade someone who can't play. Nobody wants this bum. May seem like I am hard on him here....but face facts people, the guy stinks

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 27, 2009 10:04PM

Yeah right. Four games played and he isn't any good, stinks, is a bum and can't play in the NFL.

The list of hall of fame plyers is very, very, long and distinguished who were worse for a longer peiod of time simply because they got a chance and teams improved around them.

I wish him nothing but the best...hopefully someday he'll beat whatever team Parcells's is with at the time and get some personal redemption.

Date: April 28, 2009 03:42AM

If Beck is incapable of playing in the NFL, is it safe to assume that every player on that 2007 team is also incapable of playing in the NFL? I can't think of a QB (ever) that was put in a tougher situation.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:13AM

Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Trent Dilfer, Drew Stanton, Brodie Croyle, Andrew Walter, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Danny Wuerffel, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, David Klingler, Andre Ware, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young, Tony Eason....

Really? none of these guys?

Date: April 28, 2009 04:18AM

Beck had
no line
no RB
no WR
no coach
no wins (0-9) which means a desperate and discouraged team

Could it get worse than that? Gimme one that had a worse situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 04:43AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:49AM

I'll give you two....(in addition to the above mentioned)

Steve Spurrier 1976 and Archie Manning 1980

Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:55AM

I admired his attitude, and I think it is very hard to place the blame for his failures in 2007 solely on him. By the time he got into the games, Ronnie was on IR and Chambers was traded. Our line was the sieve comprising Carey, Liewinski, Satele, Hadnot, Shelton. We went up against the Steelers and Eagles. Surrounding a rookie quarterback with second-tier talent is predicably going to affect the QB's confidence and have poor results. That scenario would have made Matty Ice, Matt Cassel, or Chad Henne look bad, too.

While I think he is better suited to a West Coast offense, I would have liked to have seen him behind our current line playing with our starters before pulling the trigger on his release. That said, I agree that we don't have enough reps to give every QB a good opportunity with the starters in training camp, and it's good for both Beck and the team that the coaches have made a decision this early.

Date: April 28, 2009 04:58AM

You're reaching bud. Spurrier and Manning were 10 year veterans at the time, not rookie QBs taking over in the middle of a disastrous season. That's not even close.

Give me one who had a worse situation; and if you can't, give me one that had an equally bad situation.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 28, 2009 04:59AM

eesti Wrote:
> I'll give you two....(in addition to the above
> mentioned)
>
> Steve Spurrier 1976 and Archie Manning 1980

I agree with those examples eesti, but what about the fact that during both of those seasons, Spurrier and Manning were seasoned veterans at that point (and did Spurrier ever even start a game? I thought he was a career backup). Beck was a rookie. A more mature rookie, but a rookie nonetheless.

Because of his 'maturity' (read: older), teams can less afford to wait for Beck to develop. Give him a couple more years to develop and he'll be in his 30s already.

I wish the guy well though--yeah he had bad circumstances but he should be picked up as a backup by another team now that nobody has to give anything for him in a trade.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: April 28, 2009 05:06AM

all I know is if you praise Parcells/Ireland/Spranano and think they are a genius............

THEN you must trust them that Beck can't play and he DOES suck. Cause in 2 drafts they drafted 2 QB's in 2 years in the 2nd round. A clear sign that THE FRONT OFFICE THINKS BECK SUCKS!!!!!

Date: April 28, 2009 05:08AM

There may be a lot of truth to that; but they may also think that he does not fit their system.

Also, keep in mind that when Henne was drafted we didn't have anyone else besides an unproven Beck and McCown at QB. We needed competition at the position. Then Pennington fell into our laps, which made McCown expendable. Coming into the 2009 draft, we had a good situation at QB, but then a dynamic player who fits our offense very well is available in round 2, so we take him - leaving us with 4 QBs. Again, someone has to go. Beck is the obvious choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 05:19AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: April 28, 2009 05:59AM

Date: April 28, 2009 06:06AM

And I am not saying the 07 season wasn't a fiasco. It was. Everything that could go wrong...went wrong...but the fact that rookie, Henne COMPLETELY outshined Beck last off season and the fact that Beck never showed me anything...leads me to believe he will not be successful. West Coast System or whatever...he doesn't have the "IT" factor.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.